PDA

View Full Version : General Work Related Question

angel_luv
08-22-2007, 02:48 PM
I hope you guys can settle my curiousity.

When a boss is leaving a company, be it for a promotion to another property, a job elsewhere or retirement, isn't it customary that they make some sort of announcement about it?

The reason I ask is that I recently loss two bosses, one a direct supervisor whom I have worked for several years and another, a higher up manager.

My direct supervisor's last day was Friday and she left without ever telling me she was going to and without saying goodbye.
She left the company on good terms; is going back to school.

I worked for my supervisor for almost two years. We always got along well so for her to leave the way she did to me is weird and a little thoughtless.

With both my direct supervisor and the higher up manager, I heard of their leaving through the grapevine. No official notice was ever given, at least not to me.
I didn't even feel comfortable initiating a goodbye/ good luck conversation because for all I knew the "news" could be a bunch of rumors.

All that to get to my question: Is what happen to me normal, acceptable business practice or is it just an unfortunate characteristic of this particular company?

Spurminator
08-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Normally the only time we don't hear about someone leaving is if they were fired. Even those who have been asked to resign or forced out somehow had some kind of announcement published.

But it's not usually the person who is leaving who makes the announcement.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-22-2007, 02:52 PM
I have heard of office like yours but they are definitely in the minority in my experience.

If it's a small enough office the higher ups may have just figured that word would get around well enough on its own. Still, the whole thing is kinda weird to me.

Dumbass
08-22-2007, 02:54 PM
It's because you're next and they don't want to tell you yet.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-22-2007, 02:59 PM
It just depends on the company and the person.

Some people don't like a big deal made out of it. For example, when I finished my time at the Standard-Times, I was already over my hours for that week, so my news editor just said goodbye and that was that. Well, I find out later (and I had seen them do it before) that they had a cake and ice cream going-away announcement for me and I wasn't even there for it.

angel_luv
08-22-2007, 03:03 PM
I have heard of office like yours but they are definitely in the minority in my experience.

If it's a small enough office the higher ups may have just figured that word would get around well enough on its own. Still, the whole thing is kinda weird to me.

The office is small and everyone knew, but through the grape vine, like I said.

Maybe it is just me, but if I had worked closely with someone for two years, I would want to tell them myself that I was moving on, even if I was not able to detail why.
I would never be okay with vanishing without a trace. I don't think you should do that to people.

I'm one who notices and cares when people are not around; even if people are just going on vacation or a business trip, I like to be told.

tlongII
08-22-2007, 03:08 PM
That is unusual. My guess is that your boss in fact did not leave on the best of terms.

angel_luv
08-22-2007, 03:19 PM
That is unusual. My guess is that your boss in fact did not leave on the best of terms.

Could be.

I try not to take things personally. I realize whatever happened with both bosses was about them and not me.
Still the truth is that relationships, even work ones, are always personal to some extent.

Thanks for all the responses. They helped me clarify. :)

BigBeezie
08-22-2007, 03:52 PM
It is customary to announce when an employee leaves. You want to have some continuity so they notify everyone of the person taking their place. I would say that your company is screwed up and you should quit. Screw 'em...

angel_luv
08-22-2007, 04:00 PM
I am in a good situation job wise; I have no intention of quitting.

There would be some unfortunate issue with any company I worked for. For the most part, this one is good to me.

Also, working here is what allows me to keeping working at the arena.

angel_luv
08-22-2007, 04:02 PM
I think part of the problem may be that people don't think or realize you'll miss them when they leave.
We had some staff turn over at my other job and the people who left from there didn't tell me they were going either.

Oh no, maybe it is me!

Nah! :)

oligarchy
08-22-2007, 08:05 PM
I used to give two weeks notice, etc. I don't do that anymore because it seems the norm for companies is to fire people when you are being courteous. This has happened to me twice now. I thought the first time was just because I was a government contractor holding a clearance and they wanted to ensure my clearance and ID were revoked immediately. They did pay me for the two weeks, so no loss here. My next job -- I worked at CPS Energy (City Public Service) for two years. I gave my two weeks notice and an hour later my boss says, "Pack your stuff, you need to be gone by today." The funny thing was, she denied my Christmas leave and I was going to go to Japan with my wife, who had left a week earlier. So now, I didn't get paid for the two weeks, and my wife was in Japan for Christmas while I didn't work for two weeks. I had told my new employer I would start after the two weeks and tried to see if I could start earlier, but they said something about the date being set and they couldn't (or wouldn't?) change it. I WILL NOT give two weeks notice again!!!! Maybe the same thing has happened to them or others they know.

SequSpur
08-22-2007, 09:18 PM
sounds to me like you need to wake up and start observing what is actually going on. how could you not know someone is leaving?

they weren't whistling the tune "Take this job and shove it" for two weeks?

ShoogarBear
08-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Are you sure they left? Maybe that was just a cover story.

Has either one been seen alive since they "left"? Have there been any new deliveries to SW's freezer?

angel_luv
08-22-2007, 10:26 PM
sounds to me like you need to wake up and start observing what is actually going on. how could you not know someone is leaving?

they weren't whistling the tune "Take this job and shove it" for two weeks?

Our staff is divided into two parts. My department is downstairs . The decision makers are upstairs.

If she was whistling, I was too far away to hear.

angel_luv
08-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Are you sure they left? Maybe that was just a cover story.

Has either one been seen alive since they "left"? Have there been any new deliveries to SW's freezer?

CIA Mall, eh? :lol

PakiDan
08-22-2007, 10:28 PM
You are being overly sensitive.

angel_luv
08-22-2007, 10:31 PM
You are being overly sensitive.

Fair enough. :)

SequSpur
08-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Usually employers are pissed when someone good leaves or their pissed at someone they want to leave.

I wish employers would remember it's a business both ways. If you don't pay someone, then they should quit immediately. You also don't give employees more things to do, greater responsibility and then no raise. Luda.

Shelly
08-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Have there been pitbulls in the vicinity of your job?

SequSpur
08-22-2007, 10:37 PM

No but if you hear of anything out there.. send me a PM. :)

whottt
08-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Could be your boss was sick of the job, had been for a while ...but still didn't want to burn bridges and so they didn't talk to anyone about why they were leaving. Could be they just didn't want a big deal made about it...could be they would have felt awkward just announcing it. And as well...some people just want to keep work and private life separate for their own reasons...many people in management make a deliberate attempt to not get too close/attatched to their employees because someday...they might have to fire them. Cordial and friendly? Yes...close? Definitely not all of them.

Could also be some personal issues going on that they don't want to start talking about so they just kind of kept everything under their hat only talking to their supervisors about their reasons for leaving.

I wouldn't take it personally if you feel you got along with your boss....probably more a case of your boss trying to not be a distraction and maintain professionalism. This sort of thing does happen from time to time at the work place. IME...if your boss has a problem with you...you will usually know it.

ChumpDumper
08-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Did you declare your forbidden love for her before she quit or did you not get the chance?

angel_luv
08-23-2007, 11:36 AM

No, but my former manager was a Bulls fan.

Bigzax
08-23-2007, 12:28 PM
it's pretty inconsiderate that they didn't tell you they were leaving angel...i know at my last job, i told EVERYBODY...:lol

angel_luv
08-23-2007, 12:31 PM
it's pretty inconsiderate that they didn't tell you they were leaving angel...i know at my last job, i told EVERYBODY...:lol

Thanks for the input. I haven't had that many jobs and those I have now, I've had for awhile.
I knew my perspective on this matter was limited. All of the comments have been helpful.

:)

Sportcamper
08-23-2007, 12:34 PM
This story is not at all unusual....In today’s corporate world...If a person gives notice (to move onto greener pastures) the current employer often treats them with disdain...

They close out secure computer access, grab keys & order them not to discuss any of it with fellow employees...Many companies will even pay the employee the 2 weeks notice & give them 10 minutes to grab personal items & vacate the premises immediately.... (Many U.S. companies also have a DO NOT RE HIRE RULE)...

CosmicCowboy
08-23-2007, 02:01 PM
It just depends on the company and the person.

Some people don't like a big deal made out of it. For example, when I finished my time at the Standard-Times, I was already over my hours for that week, so my news editor just said goodbye and that was that. Well, I find out later (and I had seen them do it before) that they had a cake and ice cream going-away announcement for me and I wasn't even there for it.

That was actually the celebration party! :lol