PDA

View Full Version : Dan Rather Get's his Day

Nbadan
08-22-2007, 06:42 PM
If you remember back, it was the attack on Dan Rather by the M$M and the wing-nut echo-chamger that led to the beginning of this forum...if you remember back even further, you remember that it was a wing-nut political consultant, Roger Stone and wife Nadia, likely hired by Karl Rove, who were traced back by interenet sleuths as being the forgers of the Rather letter......

Looks like someone has turned the tables on Stone.....

Roger Stone’s enemies are ruthless
From this morning’s Times:

Lawyers representing Gov. Eliot Spitzer’s father, Bernard Spitzer, say a prominent political consultant who has been working for State Senate Republicans threatened the elder Mr. Spitzer this month in an anonymous, invective-laced phone message …

Mr. Stone, a seasoned practitioner of hard-edged politics who worked for Presidents Richard M. Nixon and Ronald Reagan and for George W. Bush in the 2000 recount battle, adamantly denied the allegation in an interview, calling it “the ultimate dirty trick.” He asserted that allies of Governor Spitzer may have gained access to a phone in his Manhattan apartment to make the threatening call…

Bernard Spitzer’s lawyers hired Kroll Associates, the private investigative firm, to trace the message, and their report was included with the letter to Mr. Winner. The firm traced the number that appeared on Mr. Spitzer’s caller identification system, linking it to listings under the name of Mr. Stone’s wife, Nydia.

“The review of publicly available records,” the report says, “strongly suggests that the number is controlled by Roger Stone.”

Digital recordings were also sent to Mr. Winner, including the audio of the voice mail message and “a sample of Roger Stone’s voice from a broadcast interview” to allow for comparison. The Times was given a copy of both recordings, but was unable to draw any conclusions about whether Mr. Stone’s voice was on Mr. Spitzer’s phone message.

In the message, the caller says, referring to a potential subpoena: “There is not a goddamn thing your phony, psycho, piece-of-shit son can do about it. Bernie, your phony loans are about to catch up with you. You will be forced to tell the truth and the fact that your son’s a pathological liar will be known to all.”

Mr. Stone, 55, said the number from which the call was alleged to have been made was indeed his, and that it was also shared by a Florida law firm for which he does public relations work, Rothstein Rosenfeldt Adler. But he denied that he made the call or that it was his voice on the message.

He said his apartment building on Central Park South is owned by H. Dale Hemmerdinger, a fund-raiser for Mr. Spitzer who is the governor’s nominee to be chairman of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, and suggested that allies of the governor might have given access to his apartment to someone who made the threatening call. An official at Mr. Hemmerdinger’s company said she was not prepared to comment.

Interestingly, this is basically the same explanation Roger Stone gave in 1996 when it became public that he and his wife had been placing ads in sex magazines seeking male and female partners:

The Post quoted Mr. Stone as conceding that the bills for the postings on the Internet site were paid for with his credit card. He told the newspaper the post office box number listed on the Internet site belonged to him, but had been improperly obtained.

Modern World (http://www.thismodernworld.com/)

Holt's Cat
08-22-2007, 06:45 PM
If you recall a little further back you remember when Nbadan was sane.

xrayzebra
08-22-2007, 06:47 PM
If you recall a little further back you remember when Nbadan was sane.

When? He has never been rational that I am aware of.
:lol

Nbadan
08-22-2007, 06:55 PM
..and a little further back was the last time the kittie had a take worth reading...

Holt's Cat
08-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Too bad Dan Rather didn't do effective DD on that memo. Oh well, always the victim, never the victor, I guess.

Nbadan
08-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Actually, the letter was originally intended for the Kerry campaign, but they didn't bite, but they did send it over to Rather and he did bite....Rather should have been more diligent, but he was assured by Barlett that the note was authentic, at first.....

Wild Cobra
08-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Hmmmm...

A part of the whole story posted oon a blog, and a NY Times story at that...

I see credibility issues...

Complete Times Story:

Politics Seen in Nasty Call to Spitzer’s Father (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/22/nyregion/22stone.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin); By DANNY HAKIM; August 22, 2007

The blogger not only takes the one sided points from the article, but the last two paragraphs he makes appear as part of the article and are not. They are the bloggers words. I did a search to find the 1996 sex magazine issue, and came up with no results.

I wonder if the blogger is making this up?

How much of it could be dirty tricks?

The caller ID could easily be right, and called from the junction box at the apartments.

The magazine ad, if correct, could have been placed by someone else.

Now I am not defending Mr. Stone because I don't know the truth. I am only pointing out easy possibilities, which I tend to believe more when the story gets an opposite spin on it by leaving out relevant information.

Nbadan
08-23-2007, 02:54 AM
You have to remember Roger Stone and his wife ....

http://www.madcowprod.com/roger.jpg
...and they were swinging...

Stone and his wife Nikki, a fiery Cuban-born right-winger, arranged for a mob of thugs, GOP operatives, and Cuban rightists to riot and shut down the recount in the Gore-Bush Presidential contest in Miami-Dade County after the 2000 election to come down to the Miami courthouse, stealing the election for George W. Bush in 2000.

Ironically, big-time political strategist Roger Stone was one of the GOP’s top strategists urging Republican politicians to emphasize family values and integrity... until he was exposed in a story in the National Enquirer revealing that he and his wife were swingers.

The duo frequented group sex clubs and engaged in group sex orgies.

“Roger and Nikki were our customers for a long time," said the owner of a Miami swing club called The Vault. “"Roger looked like a Ken doll. He was tall, blond, handsome and muscular.”

“And his wife was curvaceous and very sexy. She would wear leather bras and tantalizing outfits and he would wear collars, chaps and a leather vest with no shirt underneath.”

You may also remember, or not, that Stone also was the major financier for Reverand Al's 2004 campaign thanks to Jack Abramoff...

Roger Stone was a key operative helping Jack Abramoff create a GOP influence-peddling juggernaut used to exploit the $13 billion Indian gaming industry.

The Village Voice said Stone’s Indian deals made him (or somebody) as much as $13 million.

Predictably, Chris Matthews never asked the Rev. Al about his Republican-funded campaign for the Democratic Presidential nomination, managed by his swinger buddy Roger Stone.

link (http://www.madcowprod.com/05182007.html)

xrayzebra
08-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Another conspiracy. Got to hand it to dan, he just cant pass up
a chance to scream conspiracy...............

Spurminator
08-23-2007, 09:35 AM
This was a stupid story from the get-go. Rather chased a sensationalist 30-years-old story that was only relevant to people who already had a seething hatred for GWB. Even if it had turned out to be true, it had little to no relevance to the 2004 election.

It would be pretty sinister if Rove had orchestrated this whole thing but perhaps the Media should learn to focus on current and relevant issues related to candidates. And that goes for the Swift Boat-type stories too.

Wild Cobra
08-24-2007, 03:11 PM
This was a stupid story from the get-go. Rather chased a sensationalist 30-years-old story that was only relevant to people who already had a seething hatred for GWB. Even if it had turned out to be true, it had little to no relevance to the 2004 election.

It would be pretty sinister if Rove had orchestrated this whole thing but perhaps the Media should learn to focus on current and relevant issues related to candidates. And that goes for the Swift Boat-type stories too.
I agree it was a stupid story. All of president Bush's military records were released, so it would have been in them if it were true.

What really gets me is how obvious of a fake that letter was, but CBS went with it anyway.

Let's assume that Rove did mastermind a plot to discredit Bush detractors. I say do things more often like that. If such a plan occured, it was at a level that you had to be biased to to the point you would print/report any thing negaive.