PDA

View Full Version : Need Quick Advice

johnsmith
08-22-2007, 06:57 PM
A while back I got a family member a job at the company I work for. I was told today that he's being fired tomorrow. He hasn't received any warnings from his boss from what I understand but they are just not happy with his performance.

His boss is a fucking asshole by the way.

Anyway, they're going to tell him tomorrow and then just hope he comes in and gets his shit done on Friday and then send him packing.

While hearing this news was like seven or eight punches to the stomach in a row, I'm debating now do I call him tonight and tell him.

He's an excellent person and I think he'd rather hear it from me first, but then again, it would just serve to ruin tonight for him so who the fuck knows?

Should I call and tell him?

ChumpDumper
08-22-2007, 06:59 PM
What's special about tonight?

This is blood. Do it.

Mister Sinister
08-22-2007, 06:59 PM
I would say no, because there's always a possibility of you getting fucked over in some way for telling him before the people who made the decision do.

ducks
08-22-2007, 07:02 PM
I would say this is what I have heard I do not want you to be mad at me. I hope they change their mind.

leemajors
08-22-2007, 07:02 PM
I would say no, because there's always a possibility of you getting fucked over in some way for telling him before the people who made the decision do.
at least he can start looking for something else now instead of next week.

ALVAREZ6
08-22-2007, 07:04 PM

This is blood. Do it.:tu

Mister Sinister
at least he can start looking for something else now instead of next week.
Good point, that.

ggoose25
Give him one more night with out worry.

TheSanityAnnex
08-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Tell him tonight and then take him out for drinks and hookers on you.

E20
08-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Go Office Space on those MF'ers. Remember when they fired Micheal Bolton and Samir?

ObiwanGinobili
08-22-2007, 07:55 PM

This is blood. Do it.

amen.

plus you come out looking like shit later should he ever discover you knew and didn;t tell him.

mouse.
08-22-2007, 08:07 PM
A while back I got a family member a job at the company I work for. I was told today that he's being fired tomorrow. He hasn't received any warnings from his boss from what I understand but they are just not happy with his performance.

His boss is a fucking asshole by the way.

Anyway, they're going to tell him tomorrow and then just hope he comes in and gets his shit done on Friday and then send him packing.

While hearing this news was like seven or eight punches to the stomach in a row, I'm debating now do I call him tonight and tell him.

He's an excellent person and I think he'd rather hear it from me first, but then again, it would just serve to ruin tonight for him so who the fuck knows?

Should I call and tell him?

"There comes a place in a man's life and, uh,
maybe that time for you is now,
when it doesn't hurt to think about the future."

bendmz
08-22-2007, 08:16 PM
THIS IS A TEST........
can your bosses tell you some shit without you going out a spreading the shit all over ?
you fucked if you tell before time...... it's not your place to break the news

samikeyp
08-22-2007, 10:02 PM
This is blood. Do it.

Absolutely.

angel_luv
08-22-2007, 10:30 PM
It sounds like your bosses told you as a courtesy. Since they didn't give you permission to tell your relative, I would assume they don't want you to.

You can still tell your relative of course, but be aware speaking out of turn could cause problems for you later.

Make the decision that you feel the best about.

SequSpur
08-22-2007, 10:49 PM
wtf do you all get yourselves into?

bosses don't own you, they don't give you permission to do shit. Remember that. If they tell you something without a disclaimer like keep this on the down low, this is confidential etc., then guess what........ it's public knowledge.

I would tell him if he were my relative, shit, I would've called him immediately.

Some of you need to learn that work is biz and biz is biz. If you are owned by an employer, you need to start looking for something else and wake up.

You go to work and you do what is required and a little more, don't volunteer for shit, mind your own business and force your supervisor to communicate. Fuck initiative. As soon as you start taking the initiative, they will fuck you on your paycheck daily.

The best way to get a raise is to resign or get a new job. Fuck em. I hate when people let their employers dictate their actions.. Fuck that.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-23-2007, 04:53 AM
Love the variety of opinion here... a true cross-section of humanity. :tu

Personally, I have no opinion right now... :smokin

BigZak
08-23-2007, 09:31 AM

bosses don't own you, they don't give you permission to do shit. Remember that. If they tell you something without a disclaimer like keep this on the down low, this is confidential etc., then guess what........ it's public knowledge.

I would tell him if he were my relative, shit, I would've called him immediately.

Some of you need to learn that work is biz and biz is biz. If you are owned by an employer, you need to start looking for something else and wake up.

You go to work and you do what is required and a little more, don't volunteer for shit, mind your own business and force your supervisor to communicate. Fuck initiative. As soon as you start taking the initiative, they will fuck you on your paycheck daily.

The best way to get a raise is to resign or get a new job. Fuck em. I hate when people let their employers dictate their actions.. Fuck that.

right on!

RashoFan
08-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Love the variety of opinion here... a true cross-section of humanity. :tu

Personally, I have no opinion right now... :smokin
Are you Swiss? J/K...:D

RashoFan
08-23-2007, 09:35 AM

Sequ has a solid point of view and I agree with him.

mrsmaalox
08-23-2007, 09:51 AM

That's a very realistic attitude, but unfortunately many peoplecan't take an attitude like that because they desperately need the job.
A similar thing happened to me many years ago, and although my relative didn't get fired and I eventually moved out of state, it was very uncomfortable. I had to listen to much complaining and gossip about my cousin which felt strange. When I finally told everyone to f*ck off and leave me out of it, I lost several good friends and relationships. What did I learn? Don't help relatives get jobs where I work!
Anyway, I think you need to be honest with your relative.

angel_luv
08-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Getting people jobs is a risky business. I have only done so a couple of times and considered seriously before doing so.

I am very careful about whom I recommend because I want my bosses to continue to know they can trust my opinion on important matters.

An absolute rule I have: once introductions have been made, my part is over.
It is my boss' decision whether or not to hire the person; it is my friend's responsibility to be impressive and advance from there.

I don't discuss work problems with co workers, especially if it concerns a superior. That is how words are twisted and rumors are started.

I also don't discuss co worker problems with a boss without having first tried to resolve the issue privately with a co-worker.

And finally, I treat everything other than the most basic of conversation, I.E. weather or sports scores, to be confidential.
This reduces confusion and prevents me from accidentally revealing something a co- worker did not want generally known.

These are practices that have worked well for me, but, as illustrated in the thread, everyone has their own way of doing things.
Again, make the decision that you feel best about.

ATRAIN
08-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Getting people jobs is a risky business. I have only done so a couple of times and considered seriously before doing so.

I am very careful about whom I recommend because I want my bosses to continue to know they can trust my opinion on important matters.

An absolute rule I have: once introductions have been made, my part is over.
It is my boss' decision whether or not to hire the person; it is my friend's responsibility to be impressive and advance from there.

I don't discuss work problems with co workers, especially if it concerns a superior. That is how words are twisted and rumors are started.

I also don't discuss co worker problems with a boss without having first tried to resolve the issue privately with a co-worker.

And finally, I treat everything other than the most basic of conversation, I.E. weather or sports scores, to be confidential.
This reduces confusion and prevents me from accidentally revealing something a co- worker did not want generally known.

These are practices that have worked well for me, but, as illustrated in the thread, everyone has their own way of doing things.
Again, make the decision that you feel best about.

hey can you get me a job :) hahaha just kidding.

angel_luv
08-23-2007, 11:24 AM
hey can you get me a job :) hahaha just kidding.

I'll need to see your resume. Or if you don't have one handy, a "My Space" account will work. :)

ATRAIN
08-23-2007, 11:35 AM
I'll need to see your resume. Or if you don't have one handy, a "My Space" account will work. :)

lol resume on its way :)

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Well, johnsmith, what did you decide to do about it last night?

For the record, I'm in the "tell him" camp. If your superiors give you shit for blabbing tell them:
1. They didn't tell you to keep a lid on it.
2. He'd take the news a lot better from you than them. Giving him a little warning helps prevent anyone causing a scene.

BacktoBasics
08-23-2007, 12:19 PM

The best way to get a raise is to resign or get a new job. Fuck em. I hate when people let their employers dictate their actions.. Fuck that.What an ignorant pompous ass. Lots of us and I mean the greater majority have other people to think about when it comes our jobs and our income. Lots of us can't simply pack it in and look for a better place to work because its not financially feasable or even possible. To think you could put years into a job and get paid well for what you do is so easily replaced is a clear sign of how ignorant and idiotic you really are to how society really functions.

Its very very unfortunate that a family member is getting canned but are you willing to leverage everyone else who denpends on your livelihood by telling him? I understand its blood but do you sacrifice the blood of your wife and children for one extra days notice, its not like their putting him to sleep for good.

If this job is expendable and easily replaced with like income then tell him. If this job is limited in success and you can climb the work ladder just as easy somewhere else then tell him. If you don't have other depending on your income then tell him.

But....

If telling him could potentially get you fired or damage your future success working at a good place for good money then don't tell him. If you've worked hard to get where you're at and it would professionally and financially be devistating to lose your job then don't tell him. If your family is depending on you to pay the rent, vehicle, insurance and bills then don't tell him.

You could simply not say anything or you could tell him that you wanted to let him know 1 day in advance but you feared for your job and the security of your family and you didn't want to jeapordize the well being of your wife and kids he should understand. Only a real asshole wouldn't.

But yeah sure it'd be great to just go into operation shut down and find better work. Soooo fucking easy isn't it.

Just remember you can lose you job for any or no reason at all. They could stall your career for no good reason without warning.

Bigzax
08-23-2007, 12:24 PM
What an ignorant pompous ass. Lots of us and I mean the greater majority have other people to think about when it comes our jobs and our income. Lots of us can't simply pack it in and look for a better place to work because its not financially feasable or even possible. To think you could put years into a job and get paid well for what you do is so easily replaced is a clear sign of how ignorant and idiotic you really are to how society really functions.

Its very very unfortunate that a family member is getting canned but are you willing to leverage everyone else who denpends on your livelihood by telling him? I understand its blood but do you sacrifice the blood of your wife and children for one extra days notice, its not like their putting him to sleep for good.

If this job is expendable and easily replaced with like income then tell him. If this job is limited in success and you can climb the work ladder just as easy somewhere else then tell him. If you don't have other depending on your income then tell him.

But....

If telling him could potentially get you fired or damage your future success working at a good place for good money then don't tell him. If you've worked hard to get where you're at and it would professionally and financially be devistating to lose your job then don't tell him. If your family is depending on you to pay the rent, vehicle, insurance and bills then don't tell him.

You could simply not say anything or you could tell him that you wanted to let him know 1 day in advance but you feared for your job and the security of your family and you didn't want to jeapordize the well being of your wife and kids he should understand. Only a real asshole wouldn't.

But yeah sure it'd be great to just go into operation shut down and find better work. Soooo fucking easy isn't it.

Just remember you can lose you job for any or no reason at all. They could stall your career for no good reason without warning.

right on!

SequSpur
08-23-2007, 01:51 PM
What an ignorant pompous ass. Lots of us and I mean the greater majority have other people to think about when it comes our jobs and our income. Lots of us can't simply pack it in and look for a better place to work because its not financially feasable or even possible. To think you could put years into a job and get paid well for what you do is so easily replaced is a clear sign of how ignorant and idiotic you really are to how society really functions.

But....

Cool....

The Man appreciates people like you.

BacktoBasics
08-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Cool....

The Man appreciates people like you.No my kids and my wife do.

Sorry little Billy I don't have enough money or health insurance for that broken arm because I felt the need to warn uncle dipshit underachiever 1 day in advance of his impending firing.

I don't work for the man you ignorant assfuck I work for my family and then myself.

Bigzax
08-23-2007, 03:35 PM
damn bishop, i think you need a drink.

SequSpur
08-23-2007, 03:56 PM
No my kids and my wife do.

Sorry little Billy I don't have enough money or health insurance for that broken arm because I felt the need to warn uncle dipshit underachiever 1 day in advance of his impending firing.

I don't work for the man you ignorant assfuck I work for my family and then myself.

Did I say go and quit? I thought I explained it pretty clearly.

Hopefully your wife and kids become before the Man.

Fillmoe_
08-23-2007, 04:09 PM
hes family... he deserves to know.... easy decision if it was me

BacktoBasics
08-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Did I say go and quit? I thought I explained it pretty clearly.

Hopefully your wife and kids become before the Man.No reason to leverage your families well being over this. If there isn't a risk that has the potential to be devestating I said it was a no brainer to tell him.

Its the responsible thing to do.

BacktoBasics
08-23-2007, 04:52 PM
hes family... he deserves to know.... easy decision if it was meNot if it costs you 60k a year and health insurance or if you can't find another similar job.