PDA

View Full Version : PJ Carlesimo names assistants - Spurs' Brian Keefe

Solid D
08-23-2007, 07:39 AM
It appears the Spurs have lost Assistant Video Coordinator Brian Keefe to the Sonics (James Borrego is the Spurs Video Coordinator). Keefe had been with the Spurs the past couple of years after having left an assistant coaching job at NCAA II Bryant College in Massachussetts. Of course, the legendary Spurstalk tough guy Mark Bryant (from whence the name Marcus Bryant) joins PJ's staff, as well. Here is the article:
__________________________________________________ _______________

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/328738_scoaches23.html

Thursday, August 23, 2007
Last updated 12:37 a.m. PT

Sonics coach to name assistants
Lewis will be retained, club sources say
By GARY WASHBURN
P-I REPORTER

Nearly two months after naming a head coach, the Sonics will announce Thursday the completed coaching staff that will work under P.J. Carlesimo.

According to club sources, the Sonics will name former NBA guard Scott Brooks, former NBA forward Mark Bryant and returning Sonics assistant coach Ralph Lewis to Carlesimo's staff.

The team also will name former San Antonio Spurs assistant video coordinator Brian Keefe to the staff as a player development coach, while former NBA guard and scout Gerald Madkins will join the Sonics in a player development role.

Brooks, 42, spent the 2006-07 season as an assistant for the Sacramento Kings on Eric Musselman's staff after three years as a Denver Nuggets assistant. The former spark-plug point guard played parts of 10 NBA seasons with Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, New York and Cleveland. He averaged 4.9 points and 2.4 assists in 680 games.

Brooks interviewed with general manager Sam Presti for the Sonics' coaching position in June, and apparently impressed enough during the process to be one of Presti's first choices for Carlesimo's staff. He was Musselman's top assistant in Sacramento, and is considered a standout strategist.

Bryant, 42, played parts of 15 seasons with 10 teams, including his first seven with Portland. He played for Carlesimo during Carlesimo's coaching stint with the Trail Blazers and also at Seton Hall, where he was an All-Big East forward in 1988.

Bryant was an assistant in Orlando during the 2005-06 season and spent a season with the Dallas Mavericks as a member of their player development staff. Bryant is the former NBA player Carlesimo had been looking for to relate with the Sonics' younger core.

Lewis has been on the Sonics' staff the past two seasons and is the lone holdover from the Bob Hill regime. Lewis was popular with Sonics players and also worked well with the team's summer league entries as head coach.

Lewis already has established relationships with first-round draft picks Kevin Durant, the No. 2 overall selection, and Jeff Green, the No. 5 pick. Lewis, Hill's No. 3 assistant behind Jack Sikma and Gordon Chiesa last season, also was a candidate for the Charlotte assistant opening earlier this summer.

Like Brooks, Keefe played at UC Irvine and was the Spurs' assistant video coordinator last season. Madkins played at UCLA, and then played 48 games over three seasons for Cleveland and Golden State. He was a former scout for the New York Knicks. He will have a front-office scouting role with Seattle.

The Sonics, who begin training camp in early October and start the season Oct. 31, have added six coaches or executives since Presti took over in June. The holdovers are Lewis and assistant general manager Rich Cho.

polandprzem
08-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Flock

:pctoss

genghisrex
08-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Bryant is the former NBA player Carlesimo had been looking for to relate with the Sonics' younger core.
Translation: If you choke P.J., Mark Bryant will break you.

ObiwanGinobili
08-23-2007, 10:18 AM
erg.

Let's just waterdown the spurs across the NBA.

*sigh* I'm gettign old. I dislike change. Quick! someone stop the sands of time!

TDMVPDPOY
08-23-2007, 10:25 AM
i see great things going to happen to seatle but...

toros>SA CAVS> SA SONICS hahahahahaa...all these mimic ball clubs think they have spur-taaa in them

FilSpursFan
08-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Is he really the Mark Bryant from Spurstalk?

Solid D
08-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Is he really the Mark Bryant from Spurstalk?

No, it is not really Mark Bryant. Marcus Bryant aka SpursFan initially took the name Mark Bryant the same day Mark came to the Spurs back in 2001. As I recall his first post went something like this: "Sup?"

At that time in that particular Forum, there was an expressed concern that the NBA didn't like forums using actual names of players for screen names so he changed it to Marcus Bryant.

FilSpursFan
08-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Thank you, Solid for enlightening me... :-)

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-24-2007, 03:18 AM
Think PJ would consider signing Sprewell, I hear he's lowered his asking price down from $7 million. Think it would work now that PJ's got tough guy Mark Bryant around to watch his back?