PDA

View Full Version : Orioles Fan here....

florige
08-23-2007, 08:14 AM
I open for all you cracks this horrible morning... :depressed :depressed :depressed

Melmart1
08-23-2007, 08:16 AM
You poor thing. I can't make fun of you. Shit happens. Rangers, for all of their offensive output yesterday, aren't much better right now to be honest.

florige
08-23-2007, 08:18 AM
You poor thing. I can't make fun of you. Shit happens. Rangers, for all of their offensive output yesterday, aren't much better right now to be honest.

It figures as soon as we sign our manager to an extension this debacle happens.... :depressed :depressed Unfreakinbelivable!!!!! 1 step forward 10 steps backwards!!!! Always with us...

ATRAIN
08-23-2007, 08:18 AM
I open for all you cracks this horrible morning... :depressed :depressed :depressed

I wouldnt make fun of you.......well not for this we are cool from other forums so I feel for ya. Did you watch the game?

florige
08-23-2007, 08:26 AM
I wouldnt make fun of you.......well not for this we are cool from other forums so I feel for ya. Did you watch the game?

Thats cool A, you know we are cool. You only make fun of me for still having my ancient PS2... :lol :lol

I watched it when we were up 3-0, Cabrera walked a person and I flipped the channel. I figured even that erratic sob wouldn't screw up this bad. I turned the game back on and someone from the Rangers were working on a second grandslam, I figured that we were down, but..... Our Bullpen gave up most of the runs though. Hold on one minute, I have something comical for you guys... give me a second.

florige
08-23-2007, 08:29 AM
http://www.baltimoresun2.com/talk/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Thats is our main Orioles fan board. As you should expect its a mess!! Pretty funny stuff though. Fire Trembley threads up already... :lol

BUMP
08-23-2007, 09:37 AM
you know we arent going to make fun of you.

the team we root for is the Texas Rangers.........

tlongII
08-23-2007, 09:42 AM
As an M's fan I can sympathize as we have had our share of disappointment. Things are looking good for us now though. I can't believe the O's gave that guy an extension!

JMarkJohns
08-23-2007, 09:52 AM
The only funny part about this was a reliever pitched the final three innings for a save. Yeah... I mean, when he entered he only had like a 15-run lead :rolleyes

That needs to be changed. It's a quality rule, but there needs to be a legit runs scored qualification, not just an innings pitched minimum. If a pitcher enters a game in the middle innings and the score is within the general guidelines for a 9th innings save, and said pitcher's offense scores a shit-load of runs, then that's one thing. But this? To enter with a double-digit run lead and still get a technical save is just laughable.

florige
08-23-2007, 09:54 AM
As an M's fan I can sympathize as we have had our share of disappointment. Things are looking good for us now though. I can't believe the O's gave that guy an extension!

On the contrary tlong he has been pretty good up till last nights embarassment. The team seems to have reponded well under him, and he is a straight to the point kind of manager which we've lacked the last 10 years not counting Davey Johnson. This bullpen was formulated doing the Perlozzo tenure. Given the hand dealt, imo Trembley has done an okay job. I mean last night wasn't his fault. Our bullpen has to be the worst in the majors hands down. Our starters outside of Erik Bedard are just as erratic, but nowhere as bas as that 40 million dollar bullpen of ours. A disgrace is what they are.

florige
08-23-2007, 09:55 AM
The only funny part about this was a reliever pitched the final three innings for a save. Yeah... I mean, when he entered he only had like a 15-run lead :rolleyes

That needs to be changed. It's a quality rule, but there needs to be a legit runs scored qualification, not just an innings pitched minimum. If a pitcher enters a game in the middle innings and the score is within the general guidelines for a 9th innings save, and said pitcher's offense scores a shit-load of runs, then that's one thing. But this? To enter with a double-digit run lead and still get a technical save is just laughable.

I thought anything over a 3 run point differential wasn't considered a save?

ATRAIN
08-23-2007, 09:58 AM
I thought anything over a 3 run point differential wasn't considered a save?

it shouldnt be

florige
08-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Is that a new rule or what? So what do they base it on? The pitcher who pitches right after the starter for 3 innings?

JMarkJohns
08-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Any relief pitcher can get a save, no matter the score differential, as long as said pitcher finishes the game and pitches for a minimum of three innings.

It's crazy... For there to be a save, when the pitcher comes it, it should have to be a save situation.

florige
08-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Any relief pitcher can get a save, no matter the score differential, as long as said pitcher finishes the game and pitches for a minimum of three innings.

It's crazy... For there to be a save, when the pitcher comes it, it should have to be a save situation.

Man I always thought that it depended on run differential. I always thought it couldn't be anymore than 3 runs. I thought that if it was anything over three runs it just counted with your other stats, ERA, IP that sought of thing. But Im sure I've seen games where pitchers have came in and only pitched the bottom of the ninth in relief and got the save. What am I missing?

FromWayDowntown
08-23-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm an Orioles fan, too. I have consoled myself this summer by acquiring the DVD set of the 1979 World Series and watching games when I could at least say that the Orioles' spectacular collapses were in the World Series.

I have an opportunity to go see the Orioles at Camden next Thursday against the D'Rays. I'm not sure I have the stomach to go see this O's team play. How it is that they're only 10 under .500 is beyond me. Trembley has worked a miracle, as far as I'm concerned, to get them that close.

florige
08-23-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm an Orioles fan, too. I have consoled myself this summer by acquiring the DVD set of the 1979 World Series and watching games when I could at least say that the Orioles' spectacular collapses were in the World Series.

I have an opportunity to go see the Orioles at Camden next Thursday against the D'Rays. I'm not sure I have the stomach to go see this O's team play. How it is that they're only 10 under .500 is beyond me. Trembley has worked a miracle, as far as I'm concerned, to get them that close.

Our bats and our starters aren't all too bad. (well aside from that erratic Cabrera) It's our bullpen which is the worst in the majors easily. I mean gutless. Trembley has worked well with the hand dealt. Thats why the players and us fans favor hum.

Melmart1
08-23-2007, 11:08 AM

Dude, why change a rule like this when it almost never happens. This game is a fluke save situation. But giving a guy a save when he allows no runs for 3 or more innings is legit, imho.

Melmart1
08-23-2007, 11:10 AM

Are you from the Baltimore area? Or they are just your team?

FromWayDowntown
08-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Are you from the Baltimore area? Or they are just your team?

I was born there and most of my family lives in Maryland, though I've lived in SA for most of my life.

I've stayed loyal to the Birds through the years because of some cool experiences I had as a kid. I idolized Cal Ripken, Jr. in his early years and that kept me with the O's for a while. Meanwhile, one of my uncles was the managing general partner of a group that bought the Hagerstown (Maryland) Suns, which were then the Class A affiliate of the Orioles. I spent a summer there and went to just about every game -- and even shuttled some to Baltimore to see the Orioles play, too. I got the opportunity to hang out with the players and get to know them as best a 12-year-old can relate to a group of struggling 19-21 year-old redasses. A few of the guys I met in those times made the big leagues by the time I was in late middle school or early high school (Billy Ripken, Ken Gerhart, Craig Worthington, Jeff Ballard) and that gave me a renewed connection to the O's beyond my admiration for Cal, even though they weren't a very good team by that point.

I won't say that I go out of my way to watch the O's on TV at this point, but I do follow them and try to keep up with what's going on in Baltimore, and I refuse to be a bandwagoner.

Melmart1
08-23-2007, 11:38 AM
I was born there and most of my family lives in Maryland, though I've lived in SA for most of my life.

I've stayed loyal to the Birds through the years because of some cool experiences I had as a kid. I idolized Cal Ripken, Jr. in his early years and that kept me with the O's for a while. Meanwhile, one of my uncles was the managing general partner of a group that bought the Hagerstown (Maryland) Suns, which were then the Class A affiliate of the Orioles. I spent a summer there and went to just about every game -- and even shuttled some to Baltimore to see the Orioles play, too. I got the opportunity to hang out with the players and get to know them as best a 12-year-old can relate to a group of struggling 19-21 year-old redasses. A few of the guys I met in those times made the big leagues by the time I was in late middle school or early high school (Billy Ripken, Ken Gerhart, Craig Worthington, Jeff Ballard) and that gave me a renewed connection to the O's beyond my admiration for Cal, even though they weren't a very good team by that point.

I won't say that I go out of my way to watch the O's on TV at this point, but I do follow them and try to keep up with what's going on in Baltimore, and I refuse to be a bandwagoner.
Ah, nice. I had no idea you were not a native San Antonian. I am glad you stick with them, you should always stick with your team, no matter how bad they stink.

I come across a lot of the Hagerstown Suns press releases and box scores and stuff for work. They are with the Nationals now, so they didn't stray too far from home.

Now, the real question. Are you a Ravens fan, or a Redskins fan?

K-State Spur
08-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Orioles/Redskins here.

I wonder if the Ravens will allow 30 in any game this year...

florige
08-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Orioles/Redskins here.

I wonder if the Ravens will allow 30 in any game this year...

If our defense looks anything like last game against NY probably.

FromWayDowntown
08-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Ah, nice. I had no idea you were not a native San Antonian. I am glad you stick with them, you should always stick with your team, no matter how bad they stink.

That's my thought -- some day, when the Orioles are actually good again, it will be sweet to have been with them through these struggles, even from afar.

I come across a lot of the Hagerstown Suns press releases and box scores and stuff for work. They are with the Nationals now, so they didn't stray too far from home.

I seem to run into lots of unusual connections to the Suns -- perhaps because I'm attentive to things that involve that team. The Suns have bounced around from league-to-league and from parent-to-parent since the mid-80's. The Baltimore connection made perfect sense until a beautiful ballpark went up about 30 miles closer to B'more in Frederick. And with the Ripkens investing in a minor league club in Aberdeen, another A-level affiliate had to go there. And the Delmarva club gets the eastern shore covered with an Orioles affiliate, so Hagerstown lost out.

I know the Suns have had affiliations with the Mets and Blue Jays in the recent past; I didn't know that they were a Nats affiliate now, but that makes sense.

Now, the real question. Are you a Ravens fan, or a Redskins fan?

Tough question; I grew up in a house that was divided during football season. My dad, who was born in North Jersey, was a die-hard Giants fan and my mom was more of a Cowboys' fan once we moved to Texas. I generally rooted along with my dad when I was really young, but decided at one point -- for no particular reason other than that I really couldn't stand the Giants -- that I'd best have a team in the Baltimore/Washington area as my own and picked the Redskins. Contrary to my "stay true to your team" mantra, though, I've somehow gravitated away from the Redskins. As it turns out, I can't really say that I have a specific NFL team that I follow, mostly because I have two high school teammates who've reached the NFL and I feel obliged to root for them over all others. When Priest and ND retire, which will be soon unfortunately, I'll settle back with a team and probably will root for the Ravens, to keep the Baltimore thing going -- it is my birthplace after all.

Sigh. I'm sure I've revealed myself to be a complete disappointment with that revelation. :depressed

JMarkJohns
08-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Dude, why change a rule like this when it almost never happens. This game is a fluke save situation. But giving a guy a save when he allows no runs for 3 or more innings is legit, imho.

Sure it's an isolated case, what the hell was he saving? In a sport where numbers are propped on the pedistal, to just hand out a save to a player for a technicality is absurd.

Melmart1
08-23-2007, 10:21 PM
That's my thought -- some day, when the Orioles are actually good again, it will be sweet to have been with them through these struggles, even from afar.
That's how I feel about the Rangers, too. The though of all the bandwagoners jumping on when they become good pisses me off.

I seem to run into lots of unusual connections to the Suns -- perhaps because I'm attentive to things that involve that team. The Suns have bounced around from league-to-league and from parent-to-parent since the mid-80's. The Baltimore connection made perfect sense until a beautiful ballpark went up about 30 miles closer to B'more in Frederick. And with the Ripkens investing in a minor league club in Aberdeen, another A-level affiliate had to go there. And the Delmarva club gets the eastern shore covered with an Orioles affiliate, so Hagerstown lost out.

I know the Suns have had affiliations with the Mets and Blue Jays in the recent past; I didn't know that they were a Nats affiliate now, but that makes sense.
They've only been with the Nats for this season, I think it was the Mets before. I think it's kinda neat when a team changes designation though (as the Suns did at one time), from A to AA. The bext example of this is the Durham Bulls who went from A to AAA.

Tough question; I grew up in a house that was divided during football season. My dad, who was born in North Jersey, was a die-hard Giants fan and my mom was more of a Cowboys' fan once we moved to Texas. I generally rooted along with my dad when I was really young, but decided at one point -- for no particular reason other than that I really couldn't stand the Giants -- that I'd best have a team in the Baltimore/Washington area as my own and picked the Redskins. Contrary to my "stay true to your team" mantra, though, I've somehow gravitated away from the Redskins. As it turns out, I can't really say that I have a specific NFL team that I follow, mostly because I have two high school teammates who've reached the NFL and I feel obliged to root for them over all others. When Priest and ND retire, which will be soon unfortunately, I'll settle back with a team and probably will root for the Ravens, to keep the Baltimore thing going -- it is my birthplace after all.

Sigh. I'm sure I've revealed myself to be a complete disappointment with that revelation. :depressed
The Ravens are acceptable. As a Cowboys fan, if you had said you were still a bigtime Redskins fan I might have to lower my opinion of you ;)

But seriously, I wouldn't mind so much because surely you would not be an obnoxious Redskins fan. I find many Skins fan here to be not only obnoxious, but I find them to only be Redskins fan because they hate the Cowboys. This to me is disingenuous. It's like Red Sox haters who become Yankees fans, and vice versa. Your "love" for a team should never be based on hatred, imho.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Actually, everything I hear says Tremblay is a good, young manager. Educator who has managed a lot in the minors and can relate to everybody in the organization. Also treats the game the right way and expects his players to do so.

The O's have a pitching staff that can hopefully flourish with more time under Mazzone.

K-State Spur
08-23-2007, 10:27 PM
I don't think we can bank on Mazzone being there past this season. The main reason he came to Baltimore is because he was best friends with Perlozzo.

florige
08-23-2007, 10:35 PM
I don't think we can bank on Mazzone being there past this season. The main reason he came to Baltimore is because he was best friends with Perlozzo.

He was on record as saying that he was willing to stay and help finish what he started with the pitching crew. Not sure how much merit you want to put into that statement.

K-State Spur
08-23-2007, 11:28 PM
He was on record as saying that he was willing to stay and help finish what he started with the pitching crew. Not sure how much merit you want to put into that statement.

Yeah, but some have taken that statement to refer just to the remainder of this season (amid rumors that he almost resigned when Perlozzo was fired).

I'm not saying that he won't be back. I just don't think it's something that we can count on either.

florige
08-24-2007, 07:44 AM
Yeah, but some have taken that statement to refer just to the remainder of this season (amid rumors that he almost resigned when Perlozzo was fired).

I'm not saying that he won't be back. I just don't think it's something that we can count on either.

He has done a formidable job with our starters. If he does happen to leave I guess it's time to call good ole Ray Miller back from the grave again.

K-State Spur
08-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Ray's a hell of a coach. I think that's one of the reasons we haven't seen a HUGE improvement in some of the arms - we already had a top 5 pitching coach in play.

florige
08-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Ray's a hell of a coach. I think that's one of the reasons we haven't seen a HUGE improvement in some of the arms - we already had a top 5 pitching coach in play.

It was funny last season I just happened to be watching an O's game and l glanced over at the bench and was like what the heck? He's seems to be a good guy, always there when we need him. But you make a good point, Miller is a heck of a pitching coach. This time around I don't think they gave him much time to work with. So is he still within the organization somewhere do you know?

DNS Error
08-24-2007, 09:33 PM

Kalu?