PDA

View Full Version : OSU's history lesson

MajorMike
08-23-2007, 09:35 AM
OSU's history lesson

OSU AD’S DECLARATION
Mike Holder: The Oklahoma State University athletic director says the Cowboys won’t violate NCAA rules. “We won’t cut corners and try to cheat to win. The only thing that could derail us from eventual success in football is if we break the rules. We don’t need to cheat, and we’re not going to cheat.”

By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer
8/23/2007

Holder, Gundy vow to run clean program, not repeat past

STILLWATER -- Mindful of NCAA penalties that devastated Oklahoma State during the 1990s, Cowboy athletic director Mike Holder and coach Mike Gundy vow that there will be no rules-breaking within the football program.

"We won't cut corners and try to cheat to win," Holder said. "The only thing that could derail us from eventual success in football is if we break the rules. We don't need to cheat, and we're not going to cheat.

"I'm really not worried about what anyone else is doing, and no one needs to worry about us. We're going to play by the rules."

Said Gundy: "Coach Holder is exactly right. If you (cheat) and bring a guy in here, he's going to hold you hostage until he leaves. Don't think he won't. First time something goes wrong, he'll hold you hostage. If a player or his parents want you to cheat, you don't want them in your program. That won't be the end of it."

Following a 4-7 season in 2005, the Cowboy coaching staff signed a recruiting class ranked No. 16 nationally by Scout.com. This year's class was ranked No. 24. In its 2008 recruiting campaign, OSU has a collection of 19 committed players. That group is ranked No. 21 nationally by Scout.com. Of the 19 committed recruits, 18 hail from Texas.

As assistant Joe DeForest established beneficial relationships in the Houston area, the Cowboys have sustained a high level of recruiting success in Texas. Gundy says there have been scattered rumors that OSU might have cheated in their effort to sign those Texans.

Gundy says there has been no cheating. He says he has an energetic, trustworthy, well-connected staff. He also says recruits are impressed by the Boone Pickens Stadium renovation.

"Whenever you have good recruiting classes and you're not a tradition-rich school, people question it," Gundy said. "You hear (rumors) when you're out on the road. There are no secrets in our profession."

Gundy would not identify the sources of rumors. Instead, he defends the virtue of his program.

"We've had success because we had a plan and because of hard work. Because of money and national publicity," Gundy said. "Twice, Boone Pickens' donations have been covered in USA Today. What's that worth? Boone was on the front page. It has had a huge impact.

"People say, 'How do you get Richetti Jones? How do you get Perrish Cox?' (Cowboy assistants) Curtis Luper and Doug Meacham worked extremely hard for a long time. They didn't listen when people said we wouldn't get those guys."

Jones (Dallas Lincoln High School) and Cox (Waco University) were nationally renowned Texas recruits. Wide receiver Dez Bryant, an elite recruit from Lufkin, Texas, was recruited hard by Texas A&M. He signed with Oklahoma State.

This week, Guthrie's Kye Staley, a national four-star prospect, announced his commitment to OSU. He says he also had been offered scholarships by Oklahoma, LSU, Michigan, Arkansas and Nebraska.

Some Big 12 schools have expressed disapproval with OSU's purchase of billboard advertising space in Texas (the most conspicuous OSU ads appear in airports in Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston). Gundy says opposing coaches also are bothered by the satellite summer camps that OSU conducts in various Texas locales.

During the recent OSU Caravan stop in Tulsa, Gundy's address to fans included an explanation of the satellite camps.

"A lot of the student-athletes don't have the opportunity financially to get to our camp in Stillwater, so we go to Texas and run five camps," Gundy said. "We spend three hours running a camp. It gives us a chance to spend time with those coaches and players. We coach. We teach. It's been termed a 'recruiting camp,' but we coach and teach.

"There are schools that don't like us doing that. They feel like it gives us opportunities to (develop) relationships with coaches and players there -- giving us advantages that maybe we shouldn't have. I just look at it as free enterprise."

During the recruiting period of 2005-06, Richardson (Texas) Berkner defensive end Ugo Chinasa was recruited by Texas and OU and several other national powers. Berkner coach Jim Ledford says Chinasa wound up signing with OSU because of the "unbelievable recruiting job" done by Cowboy assistant Todd Bradford.

"Everybody wanted Ugo. He could have gone anywhere from the East Coast to the West Coast," Ledford said. "But Todd Bradford was relentless. He worked his tail off. If he wants you, he won't stop until he gets you. He's just a persuasive guy and has a great rapport with athletes.

"My experience with OSU was awesome. Bottom line -- OSU is outworking everybody, and everybody is mad about it. At our place, OSU has been clean and above-board on everything."

"Let me say this, too," Ledford added. "I was trying to get Ugo to stay in Texas. I want my guys to play college football in Texas. But when Todd Bradford got involved, he did a great job. I can't say anything but good things about the OSU coaches."

Last month, Ledford said, a Fort Worth convention attracted an estimated 18,000 Texas high school coaches.

Ledford said he noted the attendance of only one Division I-A college head coach -- Mike Gundy.

"He was front and center, wearing his big orange stuff. You couldn't miss him," Ledford said. "(OSU coaches) are so good at making connections and being visible. If I needed to speak to Mike Gundy, it wouldn't take me three minutes to get him on the phone. There aren't many head coaches who are that accessible."

From Oklahoma State, the Tulsa World obtained copies of written correspondence exchanged between the university and the NCAA since January 2005, when Gundy became the head coach. There were self-reported minor violations -- the kind, Gundy says, that are common at all Division I-A universities -- but nothing that would qualify as an attempt to illegally gain a recruiting advantage.

"If you look at the history of Oklahoma State football," Gundy said, "every little bit of success was followed by sanctions. It happened in the '70s and again in the '80s."

In 1978-81, Oklahoma State was mired in a probationary period that involved the losses of scholarships and television exposures.

In 1989, the Cowboy program was rocked by extremely punitive NCAA sanctions. The four-year probation included a three-year bowl ban, a two-year television ban and the loss of 15 scholarships over three years.

If NCAA sanctions are intended to hurt a guilty program, they worked in a profound way at OSU. In 1981-88, the Cowboys were 63-29-2 with six bowl appearances. After the NCAA cited 40 violations and the penalties took effect, the Cowboys over their next 13 seasons were 52-90-3 with one bowl appearance.

In 2003, OSU benefactor and alumnus Boone Pickens donated $20 million toward the stadium renovation. Last year he followed with a gift of $165 million -- the largest donation ever made specifically to the athletic department of an American university.

Before 2003, Pickens had not given a large amount of money to the football program. Holder says Pickens disapproved of the rules violations committed in the '70s and '80s.

"That's another reason you don't want to cheat," Holder said. "You don't want to lose the support of your No. 1 donor."

Gundy has experienced the very best and very worst of OSU football. During his 1986-89 playing career as a quarterback, he led the Cowboys to a pair of 10-win seasons.

As a Cowboy assistant in 1990-95, he saw the damage done by NCAA sanctions.

"It was miserable in recruiting," Gundy said. "The sanctions were so severe that you couldn't get anyone interested in Oklahoma State."

"There hasn't been a penalty like it since then," he added. "Oklahoma State got blown up on that deal. Oklahoma had a severe penalty also, but it wasn't like the one we got here. It set this place back 10 years."

samikeyp
08-23-2007, 09:57 AM
During the recruiting period of 2005-06, Richardson (Texas) Berkner defensive end Ugo Chinasa was recruited by Texas and OU and several other national powers. Berkner coach Jim Ledford says Chinasa wound up signing with OSU because of the "unbelievable recruiting job" done by Cowboy assistant Todd Bradford.

That pissed my wife off. She is a Berkner grad and like me a big UT fan. Props though to OSU...they did what they had to do, and if it was clean...they deserved it.

Thunder Dan
08-23-2007, 10:29 AM
I think you should be forced to type Oklahoma State University insted of OSU becuase it's false information. ESPN already did the segment on who owns "OSU" and it's not O.K. State. Just a thought..

www.osu.edu

MajorMike
08-23-2007, 11:12 AM
I think you should be forced to reason for yourself, which you do not have a great history of doing, that I would not be posting about tosu.

scott
08-23-2007, 11:14 AM
I think you should be forced to find an Oklahoma State message board, where someone might give a crap about all these lame articles you post.

Thunder Dan
08-23-2007, 11:42 AM
I think you should be forced to find an Oklahoma State message board, where someone might give a crap about all these lame articles you post.

LOL I was thinking the same thing. It's not even a College forum here, its a CaptMike Oklahoma St. forum where he just posts articles and nobody cares about them. It's cool he likes them, as every program should have some fans, but seriously...

Brutalis
08-23-2007, 03:32 PM
How come we never play you guys? Seriously, we been doing a good job cooting Tulsa and some of Oklahoma.

The Sooners have consistently turned down attempts to play any series. The Hogs/Horns will be back on in 08, 09 though.

Anyways yeah, we need all the recruiting help we can get. We got the asshole part in regards to recruiting in the south.

degenerate_gambler
08-23-2007, 03:36 PM
I think you should be forced to type Oklahoma State University insted of OSU becuase it's false information. ESPN already did the segment on who owns "OSU" and it's not O.K. State. Just a thought..

www.osu.edu

it's okie light to the rest of the world.

leemajors
08-23-2007, 04:21 PM
LOL I was thinking the same thing. It's not even a College forum here, its a CaptMike Oklahoma St. forum where he just posts articles and nobody cares about them. It's cool he likes them, as every program should have some fans, but seriously...
you're welcome to post all the tOSU articles you want.

MajorMike
08-23-2007, 06:52 PM

Go worry about your starting QB.

Vito Corleone
08-24-2007, 01:39 PM

www.osu.edu

Last time I checked OSU was really tOSU, so what is the discussion. There are two UT but we all know that there is really only one UT and it resides in Austin TX

Holt's Cat
08-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Oklahoma is big enough to have a state university?

scott
08-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Go worry about your starting QB.

Go worry about finishing above .500 in the regular season.

Thunder Dan
08-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Go worry about finishing above .500 in the regular season.

Or recruiting guys that pick between Baylor, TCU and Rice

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-28-2007, 11:38 AM
you're welcome to post all the tOSU articles you want.

Ok,

2007 Tostitos BCS Championship Game:
Florida 41
tOSU 14

Thunder Dan
08-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Ok,

2007 Tostitos BCS Championship Game:
Florida 41
tOSU 14

Atleast tOSU got there. Whatever team you follow got to watch it on TV.

MajorMike
08-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Or recruiting guys that pick between Baylor, TCU and Rice

"Everybody wanted Ugo. He could have gone anywhere from the East Coast to the West Coast," Ledford said. "But Todd Bradford was relentless. He worked his tail off. If he wants you, he won't stop until he gets you. He's just a persuasive guy and has a great rapport with athletes.

"My experience with OSU was awesome. Bottom line -- OSU is outworking everybody, and everybody is mad about it. At our place, OSU has been clean and above-board on everything."

"Let me say this, too," Ledford added. "I was trying to get Ugo to stay in Texas. I want my guys to play college football in Texas. But when Todd Bradford got involved, he did a great job. I can't say anything but good things about the OSU coaches."

Thunder Dan
08-28-2007, 09:21 PM
wow one guy thinks Oklahoma St. is cool. That raises the count to-- well-- one.