PDA

View Full Version : Morning-after pill popular but under pressure

George Gervin's Afro
08-23-2007, 09:44 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20394494/

Morning-after pill popular but under pressure
A year after over-the-counter approval, sales soar and critics dig in

A year after over-the-counter approval, sales soar and critics dig in
In the year since Plan B was approved for over-the-counter sales, it has become a huge commercial success for its manufacturer. But its popularity and solid safety record haven't deterred critics from seeking to overturn the milestone ruling that made the drug available in pharmacies to customers over 18.

Updated: 7:27 p.m. CT Aug 22, 2007
NEW YORK - In the year since it was approved for over-the-counter sales, the morning-after pill has become a huge commercial success for its manufacturer, but its popularity and solid safety record haven’t deterred critics from seeking to overturn the milestone ruling.

The pill, marketed by Barr Pharmaceuticals Inc. as Plan B, was the focus of bitter debate for three years. After repeated delays, the Food and Drug Administration declared on Aug. 24, 2006 that customers 18 and older should be able to buy it in pharmacies without a prescription.

Barr began distributing the over-the-counter version last November, and all national pharmacy chains now stock it. The company projects that sales of Plan B will total about $80 million for 2007, almost double the total for 2006 and up eightfold from 2004, when Barr acquired the product as a prescription-only drug.

“Overall, we’ve been very pleased with the acceptance,” said Barr spokeswoman Carol Cox. “The product may not be for everyone — but if you find yourself in a position to need it, absolutely it should be available.”

Despite the booming sales, and evidence that the pill is safe if properly used, critics remain active.

Applying political pressure
A coalition of conservative groups, including the Family Research Council and Concerned Women for America, has filed a lawsuit in federal court in Washington seeking to reverse the FDA ruling. The groups contend that the FDA acted unwisely under political pressure and lacked authority to approve the same drug for both over-the-counter and prescription-only distribution based on the user’s age.

“Barr may be making a healthy profit, but women are paying the price,” said Wendy Wright, president of Concerned Women for America, who believes Plan B is less effective than its backers assert.

Barr says Plan B, a high dose of a drug found in many regular birth-control pills, can lower the risk of pregnancy by up to 89 percent if taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex.

Since the FDA ruling, there have been extensive efforts by advocacy groups and some politicians to ensure widespread availability of Plan B.

Several states have enacted laws to improve rape survivors’ access to the medication in hospital emergency rooms; a similar bill has been introduced in Congress.
Also in Congress, supporters of Plan B have introduced legislation to ensure that women serving in the U.S. military overseas have access to the pills at their bases. The measure’s backers say servicewomen and military doctors often can’t obtain the medication when it’s needed.

Planned Parenthood, NARAL Pro-Choice America and their allies have campaigned to educate women about Plan B and pressure national pharmacy chains to make it readily available. Overall, activists are pleased with the chains’ response, but they say women continue to encounter pharmacies which refuse to stock Plan B and individual employees who, for reasons of conscience, refuse to sell it.
“Many women still don’t know it’s available,” said NARAL’s president, Nancy Keenan. “There’s a lot of education that needs to be done.”

Hotly debated claims
During three years of FDA deliberations over Plan B, many claims were made about it. Supporters said it would reduce the number of unintended pregnancies and abortions; opponents said it would fuel teenage promiscuity because girls under 18 could obtain it from an older person — male or female — buying it over-the-counter on their behalf.

Thus far, there have been several studies casting doubt on all these claims — although activists of varying views say there is a shortage of authoritative research. Cecile Richards, president of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, believes Plan B will contribute to a measurable drop in unintended pregnancies once accurate information about it spreads widely among American women.

“We’re talking about very mainstream health care here,” Richards said. “And yet there is a fringe group of folks in this country who seem determined to prevent women from getting emergency contraception.”

Some critics — including Roman Catholic leaders — consider the pill tantamount to abortion, although Barr says it has no effect on women who are already pregnant. Catholic bishops in Connecticut protested in May when the state legislature passed a bill requiring all hospitals, including Catholic facilities, to offer Plan B to rape victims

Deirdre McQuade, planning director for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Secretariat for Pro-Life Activities, also expressed concern about pharmacy employees, saying they should have the right to refuse to sell Plan B for reasons of conscience. Some states have passed laws to protect this right of refusal.

“Pregnancy is not a disease,” McQuade said. “There is no absolute duty to dispense a non-therapeutic drug, but there is a basic civil right of conscience.”

This is what confuses me about the pro-life movement. This pill will not allow for a woman to become pregnant. Isn't that what you right wingers want? This pill will allow for fewer abortions so that's a good thing right?

It has been clear to me for a very long time that the right wants to regulate sex. Who has it. Who to have it with. WHen to have it.... this pill should appease the holy rollers but they want more...

this is along the lines of the right wingers defending embryonic stem cells... they would rather have them destroyed then to be used for medical research..that's the pro-life stance..

smeagol
08-23-2007, 09:49 AM
This is what confuses me about the pro-life movement. This pill will not allow for a woman to become pregnant. Isn't that what you right wingers want? This pill will allow for fewer abortions so that's a good thing right?

It has been clear to me for a very long time that the right wants to regulate sex. Who has it. Who to have it with. WHen to have it.... this pill should appease the holy rollers but they want more...

this is along the lines of the right wingers defending embryonic stem cells... they would rather have them destroyed then to be used for medical research..that's the pro-life stance..
Yes. That is exactly it. :rolleyes

George Gervin's Afro
08-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Yes. That is exactly it. :rolleyes

Well thanks for re-affirming my stance. No need though because I'm dead on.. :rolleyes

TheZackAttack!
08-23-2007, 10:25 AM
the pill is a good thing for stupid people who cant keep their legs shut or can't put on a condom.

smeagol
08-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Well thanks for re-affirming my stance. No need though because I'm dead on.. :rolleyes
You sure are dead on, buddy.

Just like me being dead on by saying all you liberals are interested in is killing unborn babies :rolleyes

That is how stupid you sound saying shit like:

It has been clear to me for a very long time that the right wants to regulate sex. Who has it. Who to have it with. WHen to have it....

Hey, but don't let your ignorance and stupidity stop you.

medstudent
08-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Plan B has the potential to "kill babies." It stops the embryo from ever being implanted by starting menstruation.

George Gervin's Afro
08-23-2007, 12:10 PM
You sure are dead on, buddy.

Just like me being dead on by saying all you liberals are interested in is killing unborn babies :rolleyes

That is how stupid you sound saying shit like:

Hey, but don't let your ignorance and stupidity stop you.

So I guess I'm partially correct..not to bad for an ignorant, stupid person.

smeagol
08-23-2007, 12:25 PM
So I guess I'm partially correct..not to bad for an ignorant, stupid person.
You are 100% wrong and you missed the sarcasm.

Wild Cobra
08-23-2007, 02:10 PM

I'm no expert on this by a long shot. However, what I have heard is the degree of needed followup that isn't inforced with the morning after pill. Apparently, too many women don't go up for followups. Blood tests are taken for effectiveness and followups treatment if needed. This isn't a onetime thing from what I hear. It's not just as simple as taking the pill. There are also some serious possible side effects too I hear.

I don't know these for certain, but if so, that could be the reason. What if a birth from not followingup lead to a child looking like smeagol's avatar?

medstudent
08-23-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm no expert on this by a long shot. However, what I have heard is the degree of needed followup that isn't inforced with the morning after pill. Apparently, too many women don't go up for followups. Blood tests are taken for effectiveness and followups treatment if needed. This isn't a onetime thing from what I hear. It's not just as simple as taking the pill. There are also some serious possible side effects too I hear.

I don't know these for certain, but if so, that could be the reason. What if a birth from not followingup lead to a child looking like smeagol's avatar?

Propaganda.

Plan B is just a super dose of estrogen progesterone birth control pills. Do you know of any women on birth control that need to be monitored after taking a dose?

It's extremely safe, except in cases where women are predisposed to hypercoagulable disease like smokers and the bed ridden.

If a woman happens to have a child while on birth control, the child may be at increased risk of birth defect in theory, but there is no hard evidence to support that.

Wild Cobra
08-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Wiki has a large writeup on the pill:

Emergency contraception (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_after_pill)

As for the pro life groups, I will disagree with them on classifying this with abortion.

smeagol
08-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Propaganda.

Plan B is just a super dose of estrogen progesterone birth control pills. Do you know of any women on birth control that need to be monitored after taking a dose?

It's extremely safe, except in cases where women are predisposed to hypercoagulable disease like smokers and the bed ridden.

If a woman happens to have a child while on birth control, the child may be at increased risk of birth defect in theory, but there is no hard evidence to support that.
Are you really a medstudent?

smeagol
08-23-2007, 02:47 PM
As for the pro life groups, I will disagree with them on classifying this with abortion.

I have no opinion on this pill either, I have not done any research about it.

I simply do not agree with GGA stance about pro life groups trying to regulate sex because they oppose killing human beings.

medstudent
08-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Are you really a medstudent?

Why? No one would believe me if I said yes.

Wild Cobra
08-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Propaganda.
Are you saying my acknowledged lack of proper recall is propaganda?

I'm aware of what the hormonal workings are, at least the basics, and it’s not necessarily just one formulation. This is a different type of a hormone mechanism. One that prevents implantation rather than preventing the release of an egg. The assumption for it’s usage is that a viable egg is released an can be fertilized. Shouldn't a follow-ups be used to determine effectiveness at least? You don't expect someone to rely on this when it isn't 100% do you?

That might be the primary side effect worry for making it over-the-counter. Could that be a reason for a blood test and be why it should be a prescribed medicine?

Am I to believe that it’s is a 100% safe drug for people to self prescribe, and use at their discretion?

As a general statement, I know you to be wrong. I will assume you just explained it poorly, like I do at times. My understanding is that this specific type of treatment is considered safe if the woman is already pregnant. However, my understanding is that some other types of birth control can damage a fetus if used while pregnant. I know a woman very well who dealt with such an unpleasant experience.

Wild Cobra
08-23-2007, 02:55 PM
I simply do not agree with GGA stance about pro life groups trying to regulate sex because they oppose killing human beings.
When they get to the point of regulating sex, I agree with you. I disagree with abortion as it is killing INNOCENT human life.

People should be aware that no common birth control is 100% effective, and if they engage in sexual activities that can produce a child, then they should be ready to raise that child. Abortion should not be used as birth control!

A have no problem with this being used under conditions of rape or condoms breaking. It seems like something that would be hard on the body to use with every sexual encounter however.

medstudent
08-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Are you saying my acknowledged lack of proper recall is propaganda?

No I'm saying what you heard was propaganda.

I'm aware of what the hormonal workings are, at least the basics, and it’s not necessarily just one formulation. This is a different type of a hormone mechanism. One that prevents implantation rather than preventing the release of an egg. The assumption for it’s usage is that a viable egg is released an can be fertilized. Shouldn't a follow-ups be used to determine effectiveness at least? You don't expect someone to rely on this when it isn't 100% do you?

No. A woman will know whether Plan B worked or not when her boobs start to swell and she doesn't have a period. Even when Plan B was a prescription medication, there were no follow up appointments that were given unless the woman thought she might be pregnant or had side effects. There is nothing a doctor can do to gauge the effectiveness or safety of the medication outside of seeing whether she is pregnant or not. It is an extremely wasteful health cost to have tons of women come in for appointments just to ask them if it worked or if they had side effects. For example, if someone has an ear infection and you prescribe them antibiotics, does the doctor necessarily want a follow up? Not usually, unless the symptoms continue. They dont want a follow up just to see if they are ok, the patient will know themselves.

That might be the primary side effect worry for making it over-the-counter. Could that be a reason for a blood test and be why it should be a prescribed medicine?

Well, no. People with ulcers aren't supposed to take advil or aspirin, but they still have it OTC. The vast VAST majority of people do not have preexisting conditions that would make OTC use unsafe. By your argument every OTC medicine has contraindications and should not be available.

Trust me, if people are hypercoaglable, they will know it. They will have symptoms like DVT or Pulmoary embolism. There are warning signs.

Am I to believe that it’s is a 100% safe drug for people to self prescribe, and use at their discretion?

No. No drug is 100% safe. You can OD on a lot of stuff sold OTC. That doesn't mean people can't use it at their discretion.

As a general statement, I know you to be wrong. I will assume you just explained it poorly, like I do at times. My understanding is that this specific type of treatment is considered safe if the woman is already pregnant. However, my understanding is that some other types of birth control can damage a fetus if used while pregnant. I know a woman very well who dealt with such an unpleasant experience.

If you mean hormone replacement pills yes. Estrogen only birth control can be dangerous to a fetus. That is well known. Plan B is an estrogen progesterone combo. This minimizes the risks dramatically. Would I still want a woman taking birth control while pregnant, no. But would Plan B harm a <48 hr old fetus' development. The answer is most likely (almost positively) not.

George Gervin's Afro
08-23-2007, 03:58 PM
When this pill was being held up by the FDA all I heard from pro-life groups that it was dangerous..There were a few documented cases , amongst thousands, that women either died or fell seriously ill from taking it. This was the rallying cry.. "It's not safe, we need more testing to allow it to be available over the counter.." or "we need an age limit.."..That got me to thinking.. any over the counter medication carries a risk for anyone taking it and I have never heard of a Family Research group wanting ibuprofen taken off the market for more testing..

E20
08-23-2007, 04:05 PM
My stance: I don't really care what people do with their personal lives as long as I am not being affected in a negative way.

I take a libertarian approach when it comes to stuff like this, I don't really care, do what you want, just know the consequences.

UV Ray
08-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Why? No one would believe me if I said yes.

JATFQ

boutons_
08-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Vioxx is estimated to have killed 50-100K people, with many more heart attacks.

Where are the holy-rolling right-to-lifers on those deaths of born-once humans?

medstudent
08-23-2007, 05:08 PM
JATFQ

FUCK YOU. thats my answer

UV Ray
08-23-2007, 05:11 PM
FUCK YOU. thats my answer
"Man" up and answer the question, asshole.

medstudent
08-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Get off my nuts bitch

UV Ray
08-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Get off my nuts bitch
You and Cucking Funt should get a room.

medstudent
08-23-2007, 05:19 PM
You should find another team to support. One that actually wins.