PDA

View Full Version : Team USA's Second Opponent: Virgin Islands

duncan228
08-23-2007, 10:00 AM
http://www.nba.com/news/virginislandsanalysis_070823.html

Analysis of U.S.A.’s Second Opponent, Virgin Islands
Tim Capstraw, NBA TV analyst

Overview
Whenever you are talking about the Virgin Islands, you can’t help but think about the player who is not going to be there, and that is Tim Duncan, who was a member of the U.S. Olympic Team in 2004 in Athens, and therefore, is not eligible to play for his home country. Currently ranked 38th in the world by FIBA, this is a team that has struggled in international play, most recently finishing eighth at the 2007 Pan Am Games. The roster has a New York City feel to it, with four players having honed their skills on the city’s courts, and fans of college basketball will most certainly recognize several faces of both the players and coaches.

Strengths
Carl Krauser is the most familiar face on the roster, having helped lead Pittsburgh University to four consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances while also garnering AP Honorable Mention All-America status as a senior. Krauser is a tenacious defender who plays hard and has the ability to make the spectacular play.

Though 29 years old, Kitwana Rhymer is a good shot blocker who is very active and can score. As a junior at UMASS he won the Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year Award.

Joining him up front is Frank Elegar, a thin and athletic 20-year old forward entering his senior season at Drexel University. Capable of scoring the ball consistently as evidenced by his double digit point totals in 26 of his 32 games this past year, Elegar put up a career-high 27 points in a win over Syracuse and 24 in a loss to North Carolina State in the NIT.

Weaknesses

This is a team that doesn’t have enough interior depth. They have an enormous challenge ahead of them, especially playing the U.S. for their first game, in which they’ll be an extreme underdog. Basically they’re looking to shock the world right now.

X-Factor

Elegar is a guy who is going to want to make an impression and prove that he is a possible up-and-coming NBA prospect. Look for him to try and leave his mark on this tourney for as long as the Virgin Islands is alive.

Coaching Philosophy

The names Tevester Anderson and Jim Harrick Jr. are recognizable to many. The head coach at Murray State for years before moving on to Jackson State, Anderson led both teams to the NCAA Tournament. Harrick Jr. joins him as an assistant after having coached with the Bakersfield Jam of the D-League last season. Anderson has been known to play an up-tempo style, which is something I am not sure he will want to do against the U.S. Most likely they’ll have to count on the three point shot. I will be shocked if they don’t pack it into an incredibly tight zone and hope that the U.S. just clanks because they will not be able to match up man to man.

CubanMustGo
08-23-2007, 10:39 AM
120-55

Medvedenko
08-23-2007, 11:22 AM
yup

Switchman
08-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Duncan will make a surprise appearance and play for V Islands after renouncing his allegiance to the USA team. He will score 55 points, have 34 rebounds, 22 blocks, and 9 assists.

V Islands will win 75-74 thanks to a key block by Duncan at the buzzer.

Staudamire will be so mentally crushed after the game he will retire from the NBA.

Medvedenko
08-23-2007, 12:06 PM
For sure Duncan will have those stats....he's that damn good......

Otaku
08-23-2007, 03:36 PM
55 points, have 34 rebounds, 22 blocks, and 9 assists

Bah, what a bad game.... not even a quadruple double. :P :P :P

T Park
08-23-2007, 10:40 PM
115 to 62.

resistanze
08-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Slow second quarter for the US, but they're obviously in no danger.

Dwight Howard has a small ass head :lol

Switchman
08-23-2007, 11:17 PM
One of his shoulders is probably bigger than my head imo

T Park
08-23-2007, 11:23 PM
This has been alot of fun to watch.

NorCal510
08-23-2007, 11:25 PM
que channel????

NorCal510
08-23-2007, 11:37 PM
espn classics like yesterday

rep usa good

E20
08-23-2007, 11:40 PM
I just watched Argentina vs Urugay on FSN. I saw a little Scola action.

NorCal510
08-23-2007, 11:42 PM
who cares about argentina

they are gonna get their asses kicked by us this year

freedom&justice
08-24-2007, 01:01 AM
This beatdown was even worse than the last one. Virgin Islands couldn't even crack 60 - ouch.
On that note: Will somebody please put a plug on Bill Walton's foot-eating mouth? Man how I hate that guy, he ruins everything.

Testing
08-24-2007, 09:51 AM
I don't understand...why did Duncan play for Team USA and not Virgin Islands when he was in the Olympics a few years ago??? Do international players get to pick where they want to play? Like Parker/Ginobili could "technically" play for team USA also??

Doesn't make much sense to me...

MajorMike
08-24-2007, 12:05 PM
So, I hear team USA just pounded the Virgins.

Whisky Dog
08-24-2007, 12:15 PM
So, I hear team USA just pounded the Virgins.

Well, they did add Kobe Bryant this year

BronxCowboy
08-24-2007, 12:40 PM
I don't understand...why did Duncan play for Team USA and not Virgin Islands when he was in the Olympics a few years ago??? Do international players get to pick where they want to play? Like Parker/Ginobili could "technically" play for team USA also??

Virgin Islands did not have a men's senior national team when Duncan signed on to play for US, if I recall correctly

BronxCowboy
08-24-2007, 12:41 PM
120-55

wow, pretty close! spend much time in Vegas?

Marklar MM
08-24-2007, 12:52 PM

I believe that since the Virgin Islands are a US territory, Duncan had the choice for who he wanted to play for.

duncan228
08-24-2007, 12:57 PM
And Duncan sat out when USA played VI that year. He didn't want to play against them.

TheNextGen
08-24-2007, 01:18 PM
This beatdown was even worse than the last one. Virgin Islands couldn't even crack 60 - ouch.
On that note: Will somebody please put a plug on Bill Walton's foot-eating mouth? Man how I hate that guy, he ruins everything.

Was it me or was Walton taking jabs at Kobe all night?

duncan228
08-24-2007, 01:52 PM
There was a brief moment when Walton first started to color comment games that I actually liked him. Thought he was a breath of fresh air.

Then he started to bicker with Tom Tolbert (?) and that got old fast.

Now he just irritates me more often than not.

freedom&justice
08-25-2007, 07:17 AM
Was it me or was Walton taking jabs at Kobe all night?

I didn't notice that. All I remember him saying about Kobe was that he was the only player on the US team who had won a championship. :madrun I turned the volume way down after that.

1Parker1
08-25-2007, 09:31 PM
I didn't notice that. All I remember him saying about Kobe was that he was the only player on the US team who had won a championship. :madrun I turned the volume way down after that.

:lmao :lmao Oh man, he's said that in EVERY telecast so far...and the sad part is until you just mentioned it sarcastically and I saw your favorite team...I hadn't even realized it wasn't true! :) Billups and Prince who?