PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Officially Release Spanoulis

Kori Ellis
08-23-2007, 03:07 PM
SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have released Vassilis Spanoulis from his contract. The Spurs obtained Spanoulis on July 12 - along with a 2009 second round pick - from the Rockets in exchange for Jackie Butler and the rights to Luis Scola.

During the 2006-07 season Spanoulis averaged 2.7 points in 31 games for Houston.

Oh, Gee!!
08-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Why do the Spurs draft and trade for players that they know they will not use?

Brutalis
08-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Personality 1: goodbye Greasy homo

Personality 2: Could have been a better choice than Udrih but really not a big loss. Usually the ones going on about how the NBA is money and junk is cause they can't play ball in the lights.

BeerIsGood!
08-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Why do the Spurs draft and trade for players that they know they will not use?

Let's see - they sometimes draft players they don't use because they are pretty much set in their rotation so some rookie they took with a 2nd round pick isn't likely to make the roster. It's a good problem to have.

They traded for this guy because he was going to want his contract torn up. They did it to 1) make room under the lux tax, and 2) possibly to gain room for an other FA (counting Udoka).

Brutalis
08-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Speaking of Udoka, I don't know how to pronounce it yet. Is it 'Oodohka' or like, You-doka? Hahaha.

barbacoataco
08-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Have they announced the financial aspects of the release? I was wondering if the Spurs had to buy him out, or use some of the cash considerations the Rockets included in the trade. Also, how does this affect the luxury tax situation?

timvp
08-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Why do the Spurs draft and trade for players that they know they will not use?This was the main objective all along with V-Span. He wanted out of his contract, that's why the Spurs traded for him.

timvp
08-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Personality 1: goodbye Greasy homoI wouldn't say goodbye just yet. This "greasy homo" has reportedly already indicated his desire to perhaps play for the Spurs next season.

BeerIsGood!
08-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Speaking of Udoka, I don't know how to pronounce it yet. Is it 'Oodohka' or like, You-doka? Hahaha.

I think it's "E-meh Oodohka"

timvp
08-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Have they announced the financial aspects of the release? I was wondering if the Spurs had to buy him out, or use some of the cash considerations the Rockets included in the trade. Also, how does this affect the luxury tax situation?The wording makes it seem like the Spurs didn't have to pay any money. This announcement by the Spurs says he was released from his contract -- not bought out. I'd bet that the Spurs didn't pay a dollar.

As for us the lux tax, it helps. Assuming the Spurs didn't have to buy him out, this move could end up saving around $4M.

Brutalis
08-23-2007, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't say goodbye just yet. This "greasy homo" has reportedly already indicated his desire to perhaps play for the Spurs next season.
Then San Antonio must not be concerned at all with upgrading the backup pg?

ChumpDumper
08-23-2007, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't say goodbye just yet. This "greasy homo" has reportedly already indicated his desire to perhaps play for the Spurs next season.Adieu, greasy homo?

Mr. Body
08-23-2007, 04:16 PM
This was the main objective all along with V-Span. He wanted out of his contract, that's why the Spurs traded for him.

No shit. Honestly, I'm stunned people actually thought he'd ever be in the NBA again. Or that the Spurs actually would want him there. The guy may be pretty good in Europe but in the NBA he's has about a fifth the talent of Sebastian Telfair. No, he's worse than that.

timvp
08-23-2007, 04:18 PM
No shit. Honestly, I'm stunned people actually thought he'd ever be in the NBA again. Or that the Spurs actually would want him there. The guy may be pretty good in Europe but in the NBA he's has about a fifth the talent of Sebastian Telfair. No, he's worse than that.*awaits the Mr. Body meltdown when the Spurs sign V-Span in 11 months*

Solid D
08-23-2007, 04:19 PM

He said in his press conference, "Ee-may Oo-doh-kah".

Solid D
08-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Non-news as far as I'm concerned on Spanoulis. I never thought he was going to be a Spur in the first place. The Spurs simply cleaned out some of their nice suits in the closet and took them down to Goodwill.

Reggie Miller
08-23-2007, 04:41 PM
If Parker had a history of being injury-prone it would matter. Since he isn't, we would have seen about as much of the 3rd string PG, whoever that might be, as we did Bean Burrito last year (maybe much less).

The Spurs' biggest concern is Duncan's health. Based on age and the foot/ankle problems in recent years, Duncan's decline phase should be starting any day now. (Believe me; I hope I am wrong.) At any rate, whether or not V-Span is here, Greece, or on a greasy homo hit parade, it has nothing to do with more "fundamental" issues.

Bruno
08-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Best of luck to him. He should be very good in Euroleague.
I hope that if he decides to come back in nba, it will be with Spurs : V-Span is a talented player and could become a very good nba player.

With Spanoulis gone, Spurs roster for the opening game will likely be :
Parker/Vaughn
Ginobili/Finley/Barry
Bowen/Udoka
Duncan/Horry/Bonner
Oberto/Elson

It sounds quite good.

barbacoataco
08-23-2007, 05:09 PM
That roster only has 2 active PG's. I thought the Spurs always had 3 PG's on the active roster. Isn't it a little risky if Parker or Vaughn gets hurt?

Bruno
08-23-2007, 05:12 PM
That roster only has 2 active PG's. I thought the Spurs always had 3 PG's on the active roster. Isn't it a little risky if Parker or Vaughn gets hurt?

The 05' playoff roster was with only 2 PGs and the backup (Beno) was a rookie.
With new rules on the inactive list, you can change the roster after each game during the regular and the playoffs.
If Parker or Vaughn are injured, Barry or Manu will play some PG only for one game.

exstatic
08-23-2007, 05:32 PM
And amazingly enough, it's a link on the Spurs website. :D

Avitus1
08-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Hit the bricks kid...

yea thats all I can think to say.

Mr. Body
08-23-2007, 05:46 PM
*awaits the Mr. Body meltdown when the Spurs sign V-Span in 11 months*

Beno stands a better chance of being resigned.

I've enjoyed my cottage industry of slamming 'Billy' Spanoulis. I'm just waiting for that dude who claims to know him come on and talk about how Spanoulis cried while they shared a piss in the upstairs toilet at his mother's house about how Jeff Van Gundy and Stan Van Gundy gangraped his pet rabbit and that he'd love to play for the Spurs but had an obligation to his father who 'just' passed away (10 years ago) and how much Billy hates the Spurs fanbase because some guy named Mr. Body was saying very mean things about him. Then they'll go outside, topless and giggling, and flog each other with strands of pampas grass.

yavozerb
08-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Beno stands a better chance of being resigned.

I've enjoyed my cottage industry of slamming 'Billy' Spanoulis. I'm just waiting for that dude who claims to know him come on and talk about how Spanoulis cried while they shared a piss in the upstairs toilet at his mother's house about how Jeff Van Gundy and Stan Van Gundy gangraped his pet rabbit and that he'd love to play for the Spurs but had an obligation to his father who 'just' passed away (10 years ago) and how much Billy hates the Spurs fanbase because some guy named Mr. Body was saying very mean things about him. Then they'll go outside, topless and giggling, and flog each other with strands of pampas grass.

Dude, I wonder about you sometimes.. :wtf

yavozerb
08-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Now with the roster back down to 13 any ideas?

exstatic
08-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Now with the roster back down to 13 any ideas?
Dump Beno's worthless ass to get to twelve.

T Park
08-23-2007, 06:16 PM
dump Beno

sign AAron Miles, sign Mahinmi, sign Sanikidze

summer over

:)

yavozerb
08-23-2007, 06:24 PM
TP,TD,Bowen, Manu,Fin,Barry,Horry,Elson,Oberto,Bonner,Udoka (11 players) are all to make the 12 man roster barring no injuries nightly. Looks like that 12th man will change nightly between JV, Beno, or another signed pg. I guess Horry every now and then to rest on back to back games...

Urclueless
08-26-2007, 09:02 AM
To the guy who said "greasy homo" would you bend over for me little asshole?

Bruno
09-09-2007, 08:17 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/09/09/a_foreign_concept_to_us/?page=4

Please release me

We often hear about NBA teams ponying up cash to help a European player extricate himself from his club contract. Many of the top Europeans have buyout clauses, some of them onerous. But here's one in reverse: Numerous league sources insist that Panathinaikos, the reigning European Cup champ, paid some serious euros to the San Antonio Spurs to allow Vassilis Spanoulis out of his NBA contract. One NBA insider ventured that Panathinaikos paid more than $1 million, noting that there is an agreement in place for both teams to keep their lips zipped about the deal. Panathinaikos's rival, Olympiakos, flew in NBA free agent guard Charlie Bell last week amid reports that it was willing to pay the former Milwaukee Bucks point guard $5 million for two seasons.

It seems quite strange, I don't think that a nba team is allowed to receive money from an euro team to release a player.

Kamnik
09-09-2007, 08:41 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/09/09/a_foreign_concept_to_us/?page=4

It seems quite strange, I don't think that a nba team is allowed to receive money from an euro team to release a player.

If you ask me some things ARE sorted under the table.

Per say.... owner of one team pays certain cash amount to other; some team pays an agent; etc

There are bribes and unofficial deals all over the world in everything so i dont see why sometimes this cant happen in basketball too.

And there is basicly no way of prooving these things if both sides are discrete.(im not saying this happened but surely it does happen; in Europe more than in the NBA)

Bruno
09-09-2007, 11:07 AM
If you ask me some things ARE sorted under the table.

Per say.... owner of one team pays certain cash amount to other; some team pays an agent; etc

There are bribes and unofficial deals all over the world in everything so i dont see why sometimes this cant happen in basketball too.

And there is basicly no way of prooving these things if both sides are discrete.(im not saying this happened but surely it does happen; in Europe more than in the NBA)

In Europe these things happen very often but I doubt it happens in nba.
You have very strict rules in nba and I don't think at all it's allowed.
Teams can always hide it but if the league discover it, you have big fines and other sanctions like the loss of first round picks.

Kill_Bill_Pana
09-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Spurs pay him $750,000 buyout according to Billy.

Panathinaikos pays him the rest of contract amount he owed $1,194,000.

But Spurs really pays it, then Pana pays Spurs for reimburse.

Between Pana contract and Spurs contract (original from Rockets) Billy earns $4,371,333 this year.

This makes him HIGHEST PAID Euro player for this year.

Billy can then opt out after this year and possible get another contract at equal this about $4.4 million for 3 years then, making him highest paid Euro player. But this based on many factors.

This Billy say major influence in his decision to leave Spurs and Rockets before.

Well Billy did tells me that originally Rockets offers his half MLE contract then they change it to just more than LLE.

Billy gets offered 2/3 MLE 5 years deal by Panathinaikos.

But Billy wants to play NBA so badly he dreams of this since little boy. He take less money just little more than LLE for 3 years, when his original price at least half MLE for 3 years, and sacrifice Pana offer of 2/3 MLE for 5 years.

He do this because he want NBA so badly and because Rocket GM Dawson tells him that

"Team has many need so we can only offer this much. We try to win now, so must sign Bonzi Wells too to win championship. We are in win now mode. Do you understand?"

Billy say his agent advise this not smart business move to take so much less money than Pana offer and even take less than his current NBA value which was half MLE for 3 years just because Rockets gives sob story.

Other teams (Kings, Trail Blazers, Pistons) contact his agent after 2006 World Championship and offer more than Rockets if they can work trade for rights to Billy.

So Billy does this with understands from Rockets GM he plays 12 minutes a game backs up Alston at play maker and 12 minutes a game backs up T-Mac at shooting guard.

Then Van Gundy tells him he not care about "stupid old blind ass GM" (his exact word say Billy) and he not play. Billy also say Van Gundy refuse play Bonzi Wells.

Billy tells me Bonzi told him in locker room Van Gundy screws them, Billy should go to management to complain, this how NBA work. In Europe play based on who best players. Bonzi tell Billy in NBA it based on coach trys to establish power Bonzi say this because "remember coach told you that you are playing too lose? He's trying to crush your spirit."

Billy not understand this but Bonzi convince him he means coach benching him until he play like robot only, as Bonzi say "he wants you to play like Luther Head and Rafer Alston."

Billy say to Bonzi, "but they play terrible style, and besides I already much better than them in practice."

Bonzi say to Billy, "see what I mean now? Van Gundy is trying to break your will because he's a control freak and an ass. If we team up against him we can get him fired. Did you see where he changed the stats from practice?"

Billy tell Bonzi he never complain about coach, this not how he teached in Greece, this not earn respect of players. Bonzi tell him "it's not like that here, you need to defend yourself by complain about coach."

Billy complain to management they break promise, Bonzi too (Rockets GM promise him play time too of 32 minutes at SF.

Billy tell me this. Bonzi say Rockt GM promise him 32 minutes at SF and Battier plays other 16 there, and then plays 16 at PF.

Van Gundy tells Billy and Bonzi "fuck that blind retard I decide everything."

So after Billy and Bonzi asks for more PT from GM like he promise, when GM tells Van Gundy, Van Gundy sends Billy and Bonzi to doghouse.

Billy agent come from Athens to complain to Rockets and Van Gundy get even more angry. He tell Billy, "all your chances are used up with me."

Billy says he sacrifice $11 million US to play with Rockets and turn down Pana extension. He do this because of dream of NBA plays and Rockets GM lies of false promise.

Billy say Bonzi and Adelman and new GM tell him it be different with Adelman but Billy ask Rockets new GM Morey, "what about all the money I give up and I lose year of my career riding on bench?"

Morey says to Billy and his agent, "I know Van Gundy screwed you and went against our orders, I will find you the best solution."

So reallys Billy want to screw Rockets only because Van Gundy screws him.

He so angry at losing money. Even with new Pana contract and his pay for this year plus US money gain on Euro so he lose less money than initial, he STILL loses about $6 million because of Van Gundy.

He NEVER EVER turns downs that Pana contract of 5 years if he knows Van Gundy bench him for whole year. He lose $6 million because of Van Gundy.

He swear to me he still hate Van Gundy till he die.

lemon
09-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Ok but now Kill Bill finaly can play, excel and win with national team (63 p. in 5 games), like yesterday with his 3p. at the buzzer...hargg so good!! :toast

"Vasileios Spanoulis sank a buzzer-beating three-pointer to beat Croatia 81-78, earning Greece their first win of the qualifying round to hugely improve their chances of advancing to the quarter-finals of EuroBasket 2007..."
http://www.eurobasket2007.org/en/coid_rCIsjURCGfQ7PhUO5MFpI3.articleMode_on.html

Solid D
09-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Very interesting report, Kill Bill Pana. JVG preached defense first, but if he actually said Carroll Dawson was a blind retard to his players and he was defaming the structure of the organization that way, that should have been reason enough to fire Jeff.

Quasar
09-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Yep... very interesting insight. Weird though, as it is often said that Van Gundy is a good coach. May be that's why VG had to leave the rockets so suddenly.