PDA

View Full Version : "Things to do" to successfully defend your Title!

LakeShow
08-23-2007, 09:03 PM
I normally do not post here or read here for that matter, mainly because I can’t stand you 4 time NBA winning, gloating assholes! My hatred is out of respect and a terrible feeling inside wishing, I were you! :madrun

I’m going to give you some pointers on defending your title. Obviously you know nothing about it, you’ve never defended any of your titles! :devil This is what the Spurs must do,

1. The spurs must not go all out during the regular season. Pop should stick to a deep rotation to give players like Bowen, Gino, Finley, Duncan and Horry, Barry (damn, better bring a case of geritol) plenty of rest in the regular season. The best record in the league or the division should be farthest from the Spurs mind. Of course they want to win and it will be a different ballgame with teams now looking for a win against them every night but stick to your rotation regardless. The spurs should not care if they are a 1,2,3 or 4 seed. It really doesn’t matter. Everyone healthy and not tired is the key.

2. They should feature Tony Parker early this season. He has the youngest legs of the team. He should average 37-40 minutes a game. Fatigue will not be a problem with him. Put Timmie in role player mode.

3. They should fake an injury for Tim Duncan and give him at least a month off early in the season. Around November or December. Give Gino some time off as well. You don’t have to worry about Horry, he will automatically pace himself.

4. Free Tim Donaghy!

Have a Great Day! :drunk

RC's Boss
08-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Kobe wants to be traded.... Enjoy the LA drama this season!

ploto
08-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Tony is the one guy playing this summer, so I actually expect him to take it a little bit easy early on.

z0sa
08-23-2007, 11:36 PM
I think Tony is the key to us repeating -- he has young legs and is entering the best phase of his career, off a record season and a magnificent Finals appearance.

He can carry this team during the regular season.

MrChug
08-24-2007, 02:26 AM
As a Lakerfan...I'm pleasantly impressed by your insight into the forumula we've followed (moderately) thru these last few seasons. Your intent, no doubt, is to however veiled it may be to improve YOUR status on the regular season but at best my friend, that would place the Spurs 4th and your Lakers as high as 5th...bad decision.

Oh yeah...and you've got only Kobe: someone who's never won a championship without snaq. So good luck there pussyboy.

When we relinquish the dominance currently referred to as a dynasty, and YOU regain it, we'll listen to your "brilliance".

Until then...fuck off and die.

ShoogarBear
08-24-2007, 03:37 AM
One of my favorite stats: only two teams in NBA history have won the title without having a player average over 35 minutes a game in the regular season.

1. the 2007 Spurs
2. the 2005 Spurs

nkdlunch
08-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Spam

they need to be beating up on teams come march. not destroying teams by using their starters heavy minutes like Dallas/Suns last year. just beating them up a little. just enough to get in a rhythm

then come playoffs take it up a notch, then another, then another

LakeShow
08-24-2007, 10:40 AM
One of my favorite stats: only two teams in NBA history have won the title without having a player average over 35 minutes a game in the regular season.

1. the 2007 Spurs
2. the 2005 Spurs

Very Interesting. I wondered what the minutes were like in between Titles. I was not surprised to see that Duncan's minutes actually went up. That's why the Spurs can't repeat. Timmie can't take that at this stage of his career.

2005 - 33.4 mpg Title
2006 - 34.8 mpg 2nd Round exit

Lets look at 2003. The Spurs limited Timmie's minutes in 2004 BUT combined he put in a lot of work in 2 seasons without much rest. Maybe 2.5 months at the most, when a lot of players were getting 4-5 months off.

2003 - 39.3 mpg Title
2004 - 36.6 mpg 2nd round exit

If Timmie's minutes are not minimized, the spurs won't repeat.

Dave McNulla
08-24-2007, 11:04 AM
here's what i think the spurs should do to repeat.

1. get rid of the kids that haven't been learning the system

2. get some new kids, try to teach them the system

3. get a bruce bowen into a time machine, go back about 6 years

4. resign some good outside shooting energy guys, do not pay malik rose money to them

5. resign a lazy power forward that shoot well in pressure situations

6. get rid of fat lazy center

7. resign old point guard known for his quickness that he doesn't have anymore, but he still has grit

8. trade overrated power forward to rival so they don't take your free agent power forward

9. revamp the front office, get rid of stale underlings again

10. most importantly, get a time machine to skip forward to 2009

Solid D
08-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Tony Parker is only 70% right now and trying to play for his French NT. Hopefully, playing on that ankle won't create a worse problem down the line.

1. the 2007 Spurs
2. the 2005 Spurs

To go with that, ShoogarBear, I liked that stat that the Spurs had 10 players averaging 10 minutes or more in the playoffs. That's basically unheard of.

The best defensive team was still the 1998-99 Spurs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/1999/playoffs/news/1999/07/12/mission_accomplished/johnson_lg.jpg
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/1999/playoffs/news/1999/07/12/mission_accomplished/duncan_lg.jpg

nfg3
08-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Lakeshow1 - very good - I'm impressed but MrChug is correct - been doing this for several years now and it's only going to continue. That's one big Duh! around here.

Rather than freeing Tim Donaghy I think you guys need to free Mitch so he can find another gig. Your FO has really sucked the last 5 + years. Bring back Jerry W. Your only redemption will be to land Jermaine O without the total loss of your entire team.

Hillcrest
08-24-2007, 02:15 PM
I normally do not post here or read here for that matter, mainly because I can’t stand you 4 time NBA winning, gloating assholes! My hatred is out of respect and a terrible feeling inside wishing, I were you! :madrun

I’m going to give you some pointers on defending your title. Obviously you know nothing about it, you’ve never defended any of your titles! :devil This is what the Spurs must do,

1. The spurs must not go all out during the regular season. Pop should stick to a deep rotation to give players like Bowen, Gino, Finley, Duncan and Horry, Barry (damn, better bring a case of geritol) plenty of rest in the regular season. The best record in the league or the division should be farthest from the Spurs mind. Of course they want to win and it will be a different ballgame with teams now looking for a win against them every night but stick to your rotation regardless. The spurs should not care if they are a 1,2,3 or 4 seed. It really doesn’t matter. Everyone healthy and not tired is the key.

2. They should feature Tony Parker early this season. He has the youngest legs of the team. He should average 37-40 minutes a game. Fatigue will not be a problem with him. Put Timmie in role player mode.

3. They should fake an injury for Tim Duncan and give him at least a month off early in the season. Around November or December. Give Gino some time off as well. You don’t have to worry about Horry, he will automatically pace himself.

4. Free Tim Donaghy!

Good advice, actually...and I think the Spurs do definitely have a cruise control for most of the regular season. They've balanced it pretty well...especially last year.

However, for a Laker to call the Spurs gloating assholes cracks me up beyond belief. I live in SoCal ... i know exactly how Lakers and their ilk are.

Spurs fans are the salt of the earth in comparison...

Can't sneak that by me :)

LakeShow
08-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Good advice, actually...and I think the Spurs do definitely have a cruise control for most of the regular season. They've balanced it pretty well...especially last year.

However, for a Laker to call the Spurs gloating assholes cracks me up beyond belief. I live in SoCal ... i know exactly how Lakers and their ilk are.

Spurs fans are the salt of the earth in comparison...

Can't sneak that by me :)

I said, I wish I were the gloating asshole! I'm jealous, can't you tell? :lol

Hillcrest
08-24-2007, 03:17 PM
I said, I wish I were the gloating asshole! I'm jealous, can't you tell? :lol

yeah, i know it was good-natured...no worries :)

i'm jealous of repeats and threepeats...so...

LilMissSPURfect
08-24-2007, 03:51 PM

1. the 2007 Spurs
2. the 2005 Spurs

yeah but the spurs shouldn't go all out!!!!! :p: they need timmy manu & parker @ 10-15 per so to keep pace with lets say phoenix or dallas...

<sarcasm>

Viva Las Espuelas
08-24-2007, 03:52 PM

4. Free Tim Donaghy!

Have a Great Day! :drunkI actually thought that was funny

mavs>spurs2
08-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Until then...fuck off and die.

haha when i read that last line I had to double check to see if it was actually the MrChugDynasty troll

MrChug
08-25-2007, 05:44 PM
haha when i read that last line I had to double check to see if it was actually the MrChugDynasty troll

Thaught that'd amuse ya :toast

LakeShow
12-04-2007, 11:19 AM

4. Free Tim Donaghy!

1. check

2. check

3. Pending

Now all you have to do is give Gino a break and free Tim Donaghy and you're a cinch to repeat!

Have a Great Day! :fro

FromWayDowntown
12-04-2007, 12:47 PM
I think this season's start has been almost ideal for the Spurs. They certainly haven't played great basketball on a consistent basis thus far, but they've managed to beat the teams that they're supposed to beat (for the most part) while making their way through a relatively soft schedule. Absent a hideous December/January (like 06-07) the Spurs should reach the All-Star break in fairly good shape in the standings and the SPAM peak won't be a mad rush to get re-involved in the HCA sweepstakes; they won't be just making up ground at that point.

I would generally agree that HCA isn't that significant to these Spurs, but I do think positioning could be terribly important. If you're #1, you likely avoid having to beat both Phoenix and Dallas to win the West; if you're 2-5, you might have to beat them both. I certainly think the Spurs can do just that, but I think the chances of a repeat increase if that path can be avoided.

101A
12-04-2007, 12:48 PM
1. check

2. check

3. Pending

Now all you have to do is give Gino a break and free Tim Donaghy and you're a cinch to repeat!

Have a Great Day! :froProps - only that fall is not one that could have been faked, IMO.

Findog
12-04-2007, 01:09 PM
but they've managed to beat the teams that they're supposed to beat

No surprises there.

Demo Dick Marcinko
12-04-2007, 01:17 PM
I think this season's start has been almost ideal for the Spurs. They certainly haven't played great basketball on a consistent basis thus far, but they've managed to beat the teams that they're supposed to beat (for the most part) while making their way through a relatively soft schedule. Absent a hideous December/January (like 06-07) the Spurs should reach the All-Star break in fairly good shape in the standings and the SPAM peak won't be a mad rush to get re-involved in the HCA sweepstakes; they won't be just making up ground at that point.

I would generally agree that HCA isn't that significant to these Spurs, but I do think positioning could be terribly important. If you're #1, you likely avoid having to beat both Phoenix and Dallas to win the West; if you're 2-5, you might have to beat them both. I certainly think the Spurs can do just that, but I think the chances of a repeat increase if that path can be avoided.

I would agree with you on everything, except one. There's one cavaet on the Celts simply because at least to me they are such an unknown and we don't know what they're capable of. IMO I think they run out of gas at the end of the 82 game season especially since they don't have a capable bench and Doc is playing the starters so many minutes, and we never know when Mr John B Injury will make an entrance. However If they continue their high level of play, I would feel much more comfortable knowing that 4 games would be played in our crib.

remingtonbo2001
12-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Lakeshow being prophetic....hmmmm

FromWayDowntown
12-04-2007, 03:18 PM
No surprises there.

Compared to parts of last season, the success against teams they're supposed to beat is a refreshing change.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-04-2007, 04:03 PM

When I open a thread there are often times that I begin to formulate a response in my head, and as I proceed through the posts, and at about the time I'm about to begin to type out my thoughts, I see something written by FWD who manages to articulate my ideas on a matter perfectly. So, I'm basically left with nothing to write except:

Uh....err...ummm...what FWD said! That's the ticket!

ShoogarBear
12-05-2007, 01:27 AM
1. check

2. check

3. Pending

:lmao

ShoogarBear
12-05-2007, 01:27 AM
When I open a thread there are often times that I begin to formulate a response in my head, and as I proceed through the posts, and at about the time I'm about to begin to type out my thoughts, I see something written by FWD who manages to articulate my ideas on a matter perfectly. So, I'm basically left with nothing to write except:

Uh....err...ummm...what FWD said! That's the ticket!You do realize that FWD is just stealing SpursDynasty's material.

slayermin
12-05-2007, 03:26 AM
Hey, is this dude the former Lakergod or possibly Wolvsie009?

ShoogarBear
12-05-2007, 03:29 AM
No, according to the Mav guys, he's a Rocket fan who used to post on their boards who poses here as a Laker fan.

I find it all very confusing.

slayermin
12-05-2007, 03:31 AM
No, according to the Mav guys, he's a Rocket fan who used to post on their boards who poses here as a Laker fan.

I find it all very confusing.

Me too.

LakeShow
12-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Props - only that fall is not one that could have been faked, IMO.

Doubt if he faked it too, but he should use this as a means to get some extra time off.

LakeShow
12-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Hey, is this dude the former Lakergod or possibly Wolvsie009?

No and No, I'm Lakeshow1! One of a kind!

FromWayDowntown
12-05-2007, 01:22 PM
You do realize that FWD is just stealing SpursDynasty's material.

And here I thought I was channeling Hubie Brown . . . .

SouthernFried
12-05-2007, 01:28 PM
You gotta admit...his prophecies were pretty good.

Found it funny he said he rarely posts here...and has over 1,000 posts ;)

Still, he's earned his props.

LakeShow
12-05-2007, 01:30 PM
You gotta admit...his prophecies were pretty good.

Found it funny he said he rarely posts here...and has over 1,000 posts ;)

Still, he's earned his props.

I meant in this forum. I have posted a little here since this last topic but normally i post in the NBA forum.

Extra Stout
12-05-2007, 01:35 PM
but they've managed to beat the teams that they're supposed to beat (for the most part)
The Mavs were a fluke team. I won't post in this forum for two months if they get out of the first round.

LakeShow
12-24-2007, 06:51 PM

4. Free Tim Donaghy!

1. Check

2. Check

3. Check

Damn Pop finally listened to someone who knows. Follow the Lakers formula to repeat. Good Job!

Merry Xmas!

freemeat
12-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Compared to parts of last season, the success against teams they're supposed to beat is a refreshing change.

Yeah, I remember one particular loss to the freakin' Bobcats...

At least they're not making us suffer through that misery again!

LakeShow
01-29-2008, 12:26 PM

1. The spurs must not go all out during the regular season. Pop should stick to a deep rotation to give players like Bowen, Gino, Finley, Duncan and Horry, Barry (damn, better bring a case of geritol) plenty of rest in the regular season.

Got damn it! Who forgot the GERITOL?? You're Screwed!

:fro