PDA

View Full Version : Mike Finger Express-News: Mahinmi will join Spurs this season

Solid D
08-24-2007, 12:12 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA082407.01D.SpursMahinmi.en.347ae7e.html

Pro basketball: Mahinmi will join Spurs this season

Web Posted: 08/23/2007 10:55 PM CDT

Mike Finger
San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs' master plan for Ian Mahinmi is carefully calculated and strategically nuanced. He was only 18 when the Spurs picked him in the first round of the 2005 NBA draft, and the team figured his growth would come gradually, in stages.

Thursday's announcement that the Spurs had signed Mahinmi to an NBA contract was just one of those steps. Chances are the 6-foot-11, 230-pound Frenchman will spend most of next season playing in the development league and immersing himself in American culture, just as the Spurs had planned.

Then again, Mahinmi still has a chance to throw the whole timetable out of whack.

"If he comes in and kicks Tim's butt in training camp, then maybe he'll earn the right to be part of the team," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. "But we're not going to skip any steps."

Barring any such unlikely abuses of Tim Duncan in practice, the 20-year-old Mahinmi isn't expected to play a big role in the Spurs' defense of their NBA championship.

His contract, a two-year deal with a team option for a third year, guarantees him a spot on the Spurs' roster, but the team has the option to send him to its NBDL team, the Austin Toros, during each of his first two seasons. Given the Spurs' experienced frontcourt, Mahinmi would be hard-pressed to crack the regular rotation in 2007-08.

But the Spurs have seen enough improvement in his game and his body during two seasons in Europe to want to add him to their roster now. He averaged 3.7 points and 2.8 rebounds while averaging 12.7 minutes for Pau in the Euroleague.

Mahinmi will be paid according to this year's rookie salary structure, which means he'll make $782,300 this season and $841,000 next year, with a third-year team option for $899,700.

The Spurs had hoped to use the summer leagues to evaluate Mahinmi more closely, but he suffered a freak chest injury — a torn right pectoralis minor — while attempting a dunk during minicamp.

He missed all of the summer-league action, but Buford said he performed well during controlled drills during the past 10 days. Mahinmi is expected to be given full clearance to play within the next month.

"As long as we manage our expectations and give Ian the proper time to adjust to American life and American basketball, my hope is this is a kid who's got a real nice future in San Antonio," Buford said.

Even after signing Mahinmi, the Spurs have room for one more player on their 15-man roster. They released Vassilis Spanoulis, the guard they acquired from Houston earlier this summer for Luis Scola and Jackie Butler.

Spanoulis had made his desire to return to Europe well known, so his release wasn't a surprise. Buford said it changed his view of the Houston trade "not one bit," explaining it allowed for the roster flexibility the Spurs wanted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

timvp
08-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Mahinmi will be paid according to this year's rookie salary structure, which means he'll make $782,300 this season and $841,000 next year, with a third-year team option for $899,700. I'm good.

:smokin

timvp
08-24-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm good.

:smokinActually, timvp, it's possible that Monroe looked up the salary scale and just wrote down what he found, not knowing about the possibility of the customary 20% pay hike.

Then again, that's assuming a lot considering the Express-News has taken laziness to a whole new level this summer.

timvp
08-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Even after signing Mahinmi, the Spurs have room for one more player on their 15-man roster. They released Vassilis Spanoulis, the guard they acquired from Houston earlier this summer for Luis Scola and Jackie Butler.

Spanoulis had made his desire to return to Europe well known, so his release wasn't a surprise. Buford said it changed his view of the Houston trade "not one bit," explaining it allowed for the roster flexibility the Spurs wanted. The cynic in me tells me that the Spurs signed Mahinmi on the same day that V-Span was waived to more easily sweep the V-Span news under the rug.

V-Who?

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-24-2007, 12:17 AM
*Ahem*

Solid D
08-24-2007, 12:20 AM
http://www.goodwill.org/about_files/company_logo.gif http://www.nba.com/media/rockets/UpNext_Houston.jpg

http://deescloset.com/images/LS8903tnn.jpg http://www.deescloset.com/images/tn_PA4284.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
08-24-2007, 12:20 AM
that free roster spot better not be for ostertag

DNS Error
08-24-2007, 12:21 AM
ahh, this explains 'the year of the Ian' sig..

timvp
08-24-2007, 12:22 AM
http://www.goodwill.org/about_files/company_logo.gif http://www.nba.com/media/rockets/UpNext_Houston.jpg

http://deescloset.com/images/LS8903tnn.jpg http://www.deescloset.com/images/tn_PA4284.jpgSeems we have another cynic.

:hat

Solid D
08-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Houston be lookin "Fly" this Fall.

HighLowLobForBig-50
08-24-2007, 12:25 AM
ian better work hard, period.

Reckless28
08-24-2007, 12:32 AM
at least he gets to learn from tim duncan. one year in the d-league couldn't hurt.

jaffies
08-24-2007, 12:41 AM
I don't know why....but I might have been the only one expecting a link to this:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...en.347ae7e.html (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU)

TDMVPDPOY
08-24-2007, 01:35 AM
drob better give him that gym plan and start bulking up this fella

mathbzh
08-24-2007, 02:57 AM
"If he comes in and kicks Tim's butt in training camp, then maybe he'll earn the right to be part of the team,"

If only he could do it... back to the twin towers...
Ok stop dreaming Ian.. can you say "TOROS"?

Axl Van Dam
08-24-2007, 04:59 AM
that free roster spot better not be for ostertag

:clap That free roster spot will be for Marcus Williams. :clap

AFBlue
08-24-2007, 07:16 AM
Essentially replaces Butler as the project F/C, though I'd say he's much more of a "project" than the former. Still, it's a smart move to get him over here and used to this style of play and to the different level of competition.

Smaaht move, wicked smaaht...

spvrs
08-24-2007, 07:40 AM
The cynic in me tells me that the Spurs signed Mahinmi on the same day that V-Span was waived to more easily sweep the V-Span news under the rug.

V-Who?

They were counting on V.S. wanting out of his contract. It was a salary dump plain and simple. Buford says he didn't it for roster flexiblity. My guess is V.S. agent was tyring to get money, so the spurs waited him out. Don't think the spurs are trying to hide anything... it is what it is...

dbestpro
08-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Mahinmi will not be cut due to lack of effort. The same cannot be said for Butler.

ducks
08-24-2007, 08:35 AM
ian better work hard, period.
he has he bulked up and is not taking lessons from beno!!

urunobili
08-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Mahimni>.....

Spurs Brazil
08-24-2007, 08:56 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/082407.Spurs-Mahinmi.en.6320d85b.html

Spurs sign 2005 first-round pick Mahinmi

Web Posted: 08/23/2007 10:14 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs announced Thursday that they have signed Ian Mahinmi, the team’s 2005 first-round draft pick. The Spurs selected the 6-11, 230-pound with the 28th pick in 2005.

The Spurs also released Vassilis Spanoulis from his contract. The Spurs obtained Spanoulis from the Houston Rockets on July 12 — along with a 2009 second round pick — in exchange for Jackie Butler and the rights to Luis Scola.

Spurs coaches had been encouraged by how Mahinmi played during his brief time in summer camp before the 20-year-old tore a muscle in his chest while going up for a dunk.

Earlier this summer, Mahinmi said he was ready to join the Spurs.

“Last year when I think of what I did in the summer league and what I did in my season, I feel like I grew up a lot,” Mahinmi said. “I feel like I'm ready to play this kind of game. I feel really comfortable in my game right now.”

During the 2006-07 season, Mahinmi averaged 4.3 points and 3.2 rebounds in 12.7 minutes in 33 games with Pau-Orthez in French League action. Mahinmi also appeared in 18 Euroleague games averaging 3.7 points and 2.8 rebounds in 12.7 minutes in Euroleague play.

sandman
08-24-2007, 09:09 AM
They were counting on V.S. wanting out of his contract. It was a salary dump plain and simple. Buford says he didn't it for roster flexiblity. My guess is V.S. agent was tyring to get money, so the spurs waited him out. Don't think the spurs are trying to hide anything... it is what it is...

It was a fluke. The Spurs were just releasing the players they were supposed to release...

Darkwaters
08-24-2007, 10:01 AM
I assume the final spot on the roster goes to Marcus Williams (and not Ostertag). We have 5 playable bigs plus Mahinmi, so bringing in a 7th big makes little sense. On the flip side, we have virtually no wings under contract for 08-09 (Ginobili and Udoka) so taking a flyer on Williams makes more sense...especially considering that Williams' contract will likely be less than half of Ostertag's.

I'm really liking the purchase of the Toros earlier this summer. With Mahinmi and Williams coming up through the system with two years of D-League eligibility it means the power behind the throne approach could bear serious fruit. Ian's development will be the primary objective of the Toros this season possibly with a side of Marcus Williams. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing the Spurs bring in a few worthy candidates to camp (Hassan Adams, Derrick Byars, Demetris Nichols etc) and giving them just as quality of a shot as Williams. Take the best one.

milkyway21
08-25-2007, 02:35 AM
he has he bulked up and is not taking lessons from beno!!:lol

I take this a good news for the summer for this team.

bringing a young player to learn the Spurs system...

"If he comes in and kicks Tim's butt in training camp, then maybe he'll earn the right to be part of the team," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. "But we're not going to skip any steps." ..so, when is the training camp going to be? I doubt if Duncan will show up, he might be busy changing diapers:D
Let him play one-on-one against Elson.

Fast Dunk
08-25-2007, 04:25 AM
I'm good.

:smokin

You're dumb! Everyone knows the salary that rookies like this scrub earns, what's the big deal??

ChumpDumper
08-25-2007, 04:26 AM
You're dumb! Everyone knows the salary that rookies like this scrub earns, what's the big deal??Does it hurt much?

Fabbs
08-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Is Mahinmi a 3 or 4?

td4mvp21
08-25-2007, 01:04 PM
See, I'm not a big fan of bringing in guys who need a lot of time for development. Sure, we'll need more talent in a few years, but who is to even say that we will be contenders then? We really need to focus on this season and repeating for the first time in franchise history IMO. Udoka was a good signing because I expect him to contribute, but I don't really like this signing.

Fast Dunk
08-25-2007, 01:37 PM
See, I'm not a big fan of bringing in guys who need a lot of time for development. Sure, we'll need more talent in a few years, but who is to even say that we will be contenders then? We really need to focus on this season and repeating for the first time in franchise history IMO. Udoka was a good signing because I expect him to contribute, but I don't really like this signing.

Repeating is out of the question.

ChumpDumper
08-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Repeating is out of the question.I agree, there is no way the Cavs get back in the Finals.

ChumpDumper
08-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Is Mahinmi a 3 or 4?4/5.

See, I'm not a big fan of bringing in guys who need a lot of time for development. Sure, we'll need more talent in a few years, but who is to even say that we will be contenders then? We really need to focus on this season and repeating for the first time in franchise history IMO. Udoka was a good signing because I expect him to contribute, but I don't really like this signing.You would prefer Ostertag?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-25-2007, 03:20 PM
I agree, there is no way the Cavs get back in the Finals.
:lol :tu

T Park
08-25-2007, 03:20 PM
I'd love to know the player you'd rather bring in TD4

td4mvp21
08-25-2007, 05:10 PM
4/5.

You would prefer Ostertag?

Fuck no.

I'd love to know the player you'd rather bring in TD4

IDK either.

ChumpDumper