PDA

View Full Version : iPhone unlocked

Shelly
08-24-2007, 03:19 PM
If you want one and don't want to switch to AT&T, read this and watch the video

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20424880/

braeden0613
08-24-2007, 03:40 PM
So is this just for t-mobile or all carriers?

Shelly
08-24-2007, 03:42 PM
i think it's supposed to work with any. He just happens to have T-Mobile

scott
08-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Should work on T-Mobile or Sprint, but us Verizon folks would still be SOL because they use a different network infrastructure.

SpursWoman
08-24-2007, 04:24 PM
George Hotz, 17, confirmed Friday that he had unlocked an iPhone and was using it on T-Mobile’s network, the only major U.S. carrier apart from AT&T that is compatible with the iPhone’s cellular technology.

50 cent
08-24-2007, 04:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Worlds-Second-Unlocked-iPhone_W0QQitemZ230164884672QQihZ013QQcategoryZ643 55QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Holy crap....$8,700???

scott
08-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Now up to $10,200... wtf?

E20
08-24-2007, 04:53 PM
A phone's a phone. I use my cell phone to call people. If I wanna take pictures, IM people, listen to music, or schedule appointments. I'll use a computer/PDA/camera. Anything over 50 bucks for a phone is ridiculous.

Wild Cobra
08-24-2007, 05:14 PM
So is this just for t-mobile or all carriers?
I'm pretty sure that once a sim card phone is unlocked, it should work with any carrier that uses sim cards.

Wild Cobra
08-24-2007, 05:29 PM
A phone's a phone. I use my cell phone to call people. If I wanna take pictures, IM people, listen to music, or schedule appointments. I'll use a computer/PDA/camera. Anything over 50 bucks for a phone is ridiculous.
In general, I agree. However, I have a $299.99 phone (Samsung T629) that with T-Mobile credits, I paid $129.99 for. I bought it because it has a slider face rather than being a flip phone. It is very durable as I tend to destroy flip phones, and have dislike for the open key pads too. For $35, I picked up a 2 GB micro SD memory card that I have my resume and other files on. The adapter fits in my wallet and plugs into nearly any modern computer. It also has a decent 1.3 megapixil camera and bluetooth. Some people really like such things in one package. With the memory capacity, and stereo bluetooth headsets, some people like to place music on such phones.

Samsung T629 (http://www.wirefly.com/PhoneDetails.aspx?referringdomain=wirefly&zipcode=&refcode1=&refcode2=&oflag=&agent=&phoneid=25720)

http://www.wirefly.com/images/phones/samsung_t629_tmobile_l.jpg

kobe_bryant
08-24-2007, 05:32 PM
i got mine for 850.

Wild Cobra
08-24-2007, 05:33 PM
LOL...

We have a hacker in Portland that specilizes in cell phones, and has hios own cell phone retail outlet. He has the latest phones from Japan like 5 megapixil phones makes work here. He has probably already hacked and been selling them here, and likely under $1000.

Maybe I should go check?

Slomo
08-24-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that once a sim card phone is unlocked, it should work with any carrier that uses sim cards.Of course not!

The SIM card is just the mean by which subscriber are identified. There are many different frequencies and communication protocols in use by digital cell phone providers. And they're not compatible or intra changeable.

SpursWoman
08-24-2007, 05:47 PM

$18,100. There are some seriously crazy assin' people in the world. :spin

21K? :lol

SpursWoman
08-24-2007, 06:02 PM
$300,000? WTF?

That can't be real. :lol

E20
08-24-2007, 06:10 PM
So, let me get this straight people are willing to pay:
$2,000,100.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/Worlds-Second-Unlocked-iPhone_W0QQitemZ230164884672QQihZ013QQcategoryZ643 55QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
OMFG

Wild Cobra
08-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Of course not!

The SIM card is just the mean by which subscriber are identified. There are many different frequencies and communication protocols in use by digital cell phone providers. And they're not compatible or intra changeable.
Not quite true. SIM cards are used an all phones using the GSM network. Non GSM network phones do not use the SIM card. Almost all modern GSM phones are capable of operating on all GSM frequencies bands when unlocked.

From wiki; SIM Card (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sim_card):

A Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) is a removable smart card for mobile phones. SIM cards securely store the service-subscriber key (IMSI) used to identify a GSM subscriber. The SIM card allows users to change phones by simply removing the SIM card from one mobile phone and inserting it into another mobile phone.

The use of SIM cards is mandatory in the GSM world. The equivalent of a SIM in UMTS is called the Universal Integrated Circuit Card (UICC), whereas the Removable User Identity Module (RUIM) is more popular in CDMA phones.

In the USA, GSM 1900 is nominally used for those phones on the GSM network. I think GSM 850 is being phased out if it isn't already. Other carriers in other countries also use the GSM network, but some use the GSM 850, GSM 900 or GSM 1800. Once the MCC (mobile country code) and MNC (mobile network code) codes are unlocked, they work on any compatable network. Most GSM phones will operate on all GSM frequency bands when unlocked. It saves on the hardware design. The hacker only needed to unlock the MNC to use T-Mobile. Unlock the MNC, and you can use other GSM bands if they are built into the phone. Then, most countries carriers can be used. Roaming, of course.

Antigua, Argentina, Aruba, Barbuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Columbia, Dominica Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Trinidad, Tobago, and Uraguay are know to have carriers that use the GSM 1900 system. My daughter used her T-Mobile phone recently when she went to Cancun, Mexico. Most other counties also use one or two of the other three GSM bands.

E20
08-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Wow, it jumped up to 10 million

CuckingFunt
08-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Either someone's fucking around on eBay, or there are some people out there who need better things to spend their millions on.

I'd be more than happy to offer a few suggestions.

leemajors
08-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Not quite true. SIM cards are used an all phones using the GSM network. Non GSM network phones do not use the SIM card. Almost all modern GSM phones are capable of operating on all GSM frequencies bands when unlocked.

From wiki; SIM Card (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sim_card):

In the USA, GSM 1900 is nominally used for those phones on the GSM network. I think GSM 850 is being phased out if it isn't already. Other carriers in other countries also use the GSM network, but some use the GSM 850, GSM 900 or GSM 1800. Once the MCC (mobile country code) and MNC (mobile network code) codes are unlocked, they work on any compatable network. Most GSM phones will operate on all GSM frequency bands when unlocked. It saves on the hardware design. The hacker only needed to unlock the MNC to use T-Mobile. Unlock the MNC, and you can use other GSM bands if they are built into the phone. Then, most countries carriers can be used. Roaming, of course.

Antigua, Argentina, Aruba, Barbuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Columbia, Dominica Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Trinidad, Tobago, and Uraguay are know to have carriers that use the GSM 1900 system. My daughter used her T-Mobile phone recently when she went to Cancun, Mexico. Most other counties also use one or two of the other three GSM bands.
the iPhone isn't a standard SIM phone. most other phones can be unlocked with codes, but this one required him to open and solder stuff inside, and i think at&t may be coded into the macosx on the phone.

Wild Cobra
08-24-2007, 06:22 PM
the iPhone isn't a standard SIM phone. most other phones can be unlocked with codes, but this one required him to open and solder stuff inside, and i think at&t may be coded into the macosx on the phone.
Still, if it is unlocked to work on T-Mobile, it will work on all GSM 1900 systems unless it cannot do roaming.

Sonia_TX
08-24-2007, 06:23 PM
I like the iPhone but I wouldn't spend that much money on it...that's crazy! I just got a BlackJack on Monday because my 8125 was on it's last leg. I really like it! I wanted the iPhone but yeah...I can't afford that now. :(

leemajors
08-24-2007, 06:26 PM
i probably wouldn't shell out for an iPhone, but my free one is badass.

SpursWoman
08-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Wow, someone is really having some fun with ebay. $25 million dollars? Pffft.

$25,000,60...and 1 !!!!111

Shelly
08-24-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm surprised Ebay still has the listing up!

SpursWoman
08-24-2007, 06:39 PM
$25,000,60...and 1 !!!!111

Crap, I was outbid...and that's all I can spend until my next check. :depressed

Wild Cobra
08-24-2007, 06:40 PM
It still uses a sim card. I don't know what types on serial connections the iPhone has, if any. I'm going to guess the same thing can be done via a USB Bluetooth adaptor once someone figures out how to get past that part.

Regardless, it uses a SIM card. I followed the modification links. Looks like this is real, but looks can be deceiving...

Notice he says an update will defeat the work. That means it is in software, and a person just needs access to changing the code. The wires were a means to do that. It is likely someone will figure out a Bluetooth USB method.

leemajors
08-24-2007, 07:54 PM
It still uses a sim card. I don't know what types on serial connections the iPhone has, if any. I'm going to guess the same thing can be done via a USB Bluetooth adaptor once someone figures out how to get past that part.

Regardless, it uses a SIM card. I followed the modification links. Looks like this is real, but looks can be deceiving...

Notice he says an update will defeat the work. That means it is in software, and a person just needs access to changing the code. The wires were a means to do that. It is likely someone will figure out a Bluetooth USB method.
the SDK isn't going to be released for the iPhone. there are several terminal apps out there that let you install third party apps via the USB/dock connection, but i don't think it gives you the kind of access you would need. i don't think it will be very easy,people have been working on it for over a month. the only thing the SIM card is used for on the iPhone is to verify the carrier, you don't store contacts on it or anything. people have hacked it to work as an iPod, but i think hacking it for any carrier will be extremely difficult.

E20
08-24-2007, 07:56 PM
:lol Billion dollars on a phone.

ZStomp
08-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Should work on T-Mobile or Sprint, but us Verizon folks would still be SOL because they use a different network infrastructure.

And that's a good thing. Fuck the Iphone....