PDA

View Full Version : chris webber a good fit for the spurs

sharpshooter
08-25-2007, 01:47 AM
Of all the free agents that are still out there, webber has to be the best of the bunch. I think he would fit perfectly with the spurs. He can still give you about 10pts and 10 rebounds a game coming off the bench. Plus he is a great passer for a big man which is why i think he fits with the spurs. Spurs was one of the team that he shows interest in playing for last year.

T Park
08-25-2007, 01:49 AM
Not coming.
That 15th spot will go to either Sanikidze or Marcus Williams.

Book it.

spursjustice
08-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Not going to happen, however, he would be a good fit offensively with his passing abilities... can't see anything positive from a defensive point of view though...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-25-2007, 05:37 AM
Nooooooooooooo.

He's cursed.

Anyway, I like the way the roster is shaping up, and whose minutes would you give to him? I'd much rather have Big Shot Rob and his 1-percenters, or his understudy Bonner, on the court than waste time with an old defensive liability like Webber.

Not a good fit at all.

remingtonbo2001
08-25-2007, 06:59 AM
Next Item

SenorSpur
08-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Uh, I don't think so.

AFBlue
08-25-2007, 08:38 AM
Spurs don't need a seventh big. The only reason they carried one in the latter half o last year was because acquiring him (Ely) saved them money.

duncan228
08-25-2007, 08:54 AM
He's not a fit for the Spurs even if we needed a big.

He's injury prone, never lived up to whatever potential he may have had, and he's not a Spurs kind of locker room guy.

Avitus1
08-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Didn't we pass on him last year?

Kindergarten Cop
08-25-2007, 11:12 AM
I thought that I read last season, when the Spurs were one of the teams mentioned as a possible destination, that Pop didn't want to bring him aboard because he didn't like what he saw in Webber when they were both in Golden State.

nacho estrada
08-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Like Ruff said.. Chris Webber has a black cloud over him... no team with him will win, think the opposite of having Horry and Kerr on your squad. Dallas????? :)

T Park
08-25-2007, 12:34 PM
I thought that I read last season, when the Spurs were one of the teams mentioned as a possible destination, that Pop didn't want to bring him aboard because he didn't like what he saw in Webber when they were both in Golden State.

He liked what he saw in Golden State.

He just thought an old webber wouldn't do any good.

Hoover
08-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Webber sucks.

Kindergarten Cop
08-25-2007, 01:21 PM
He liked what he saw in Golden State.

He just thought an old webber wouldn't do any good.

Are you sure? I could be wrong, but I could have sworn that I read that Pop was pretty much put off by the way that Webber had no respect for authority and often argued with his coaches - not to mention that he pretty much forced them to trade him to the Bullets by holding out.

Again, you may be correct - but Pop has shown recently that he has nothing against "old" players and I find it hard to believe that he simply thought Webber was too old to do any good. IMHO there had to be more to it than that (the fact that Webber can't play D didn't help matters either). Besides, Webber is younger than Barry, Bowen, and Horry and is only older than Finley by a few days. :)

exstatic
08-25-2007, 01:44 PM
It's not necessarily his age, it's his microfracture knee plus total lack of defense. That stuff, plus he's total and complete title Kryptonite.

I'm sure Pop was polite about it and said all the right and polite things, but CWebb basically did a backstab on Nelson, one of his best friends in the league, and I'm sure he didn't want that kind of snake in the locker room.

Switchman
08-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Spurs are just what Webber needs to break his curse.

If he came here and left all the bullshit in the past he would be a great asset. It'll never happen though so oh well.

diego
08-25-2007, 03:01 PM
i thought dallas already signed him?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Nope. Just rumors.

nfg3
08-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Holy Schnitke NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Defensive liability, bad kness and slower than Beno.

Please no. I'm begging!

ManuTastic
08-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Webber sux. No way.

sharpshooter
08-25-2007, 06:42 PM
why is everyone so down on chris webber. He is still a pretty good mid-range jump shooter, also a pretty good low post presence plus a great passer. Our spurs need another low post threat besides duncan. No other spurs on the current roster have a legit low post game beside duncan. Wouldn't you all agree. If not webber i think the spurs do need another low post threat. Some people think that webber is a punk but that was in his earlier days he is much more mature now.

conversekid
08-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Webber = Title Kryptonite

BronxCowboy
08-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Wouldn't you all agree.
With which assertion?

He is still a pretty good mid-range jump shooter,
Yes

also a pretty good low post presence
Used to be, now he's an acceptable low post presence

plus a great passer.
Yes

Our spurs need another low post threat besides duncan.
Not really

No other spurs on the current roster have a legit low post game
OK, so?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-25-2007, 08:40 PM
why is everyone so down on chris webber. He is still a pretty good mid-range jump shooter, also a pretty good low post presence plus a great passer. Our spurs need another low post threat besides duncan. No other spurs on the current roster have a legit low post game beside duncan. Wouldn't you all agree. If not webber i think the spurs do need another low post threat. Some people think that webber is a punk but that was in his earlier days he is much more mature now.

No, I don't agree. We don't need another low-post presence because we don't want to play through the low post the whole game.

When Tim sits we usually go to motion offence or drive and dish from Tony/Manu, or we play up tempo and start running, and that is a good thing. It keeps the opposition guessing.

Webber is done and we don't need him. He'd take minutes off Horry and slow down Bonner's development.

As I said before, NO.

freedom&justice
08-25-2007, 08:49 PM
You guys should just hope the Mavs/Lakers/Celtics get him. 'Sides, rumors are he's looking for a multi-year deal - NOT good.

exstatic
08-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Chris Webber may be the worst defender over 6'10" in the league. He's fucking tissue paper, which makes him effectively useless to the Spurs.

CubanMustGo
08-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Chris Webber may be the worst defender over 6'10" in the league. He's fucking tissue paper, which makes him effectively useless to the Spurs.

But perfect for the suns. :elephant

SRJ
08-26-2007, 04:42 PM
I don't think the Spurs would pay what he's looking for right now. But, I don't think that Nelson stuff is a significant factor against. When Webber was a FA (summer of 2000 or 2001, IIRC) there was talk that the Spurs were very interested in him but that signing Webber would mean David Robinson would leave after the 2001 season. Fan backlash was strong enough that the Spurs backed off their pursuit.

Anyway, that's how I remember it - I'll cheerfully stand corrected if I'm wrong.

exstatic
08-26-2007, 05:47 PM
I don't think the Spurs would pay what he's looking for right now. But, I don't think that Nelson stuff is a significant factor against. When Webber was a FA (summer of 2000 or 2001, IIRC) there was talk that the Spurs were very interested in him but that signing Webber would mean David Robinson would leave after the 2001 season. Fan backlash was strong enough that the Spurs backed off their pursuit.

Anyway, that's how I remember it - I'll cheerfully stand corrected if I'm wrong.
What I recall was him briefly flirting with the Spurs in an attempt to force a S&T to the NYK so he could be with his boy Latrell. He never even visited.