PDA

View Full Version : Mike Finger: The angst of Parker's patriotism

Spurs Brazil
08-25-2007, 08:56 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/mfinger/stories/MYSA0825.01C.NZ.State.1CFinger0825.342287f.html

Mike Finger: The angst of Parker's patriotism

Web Posted: 08/24/2007 11:03 PM CDT

Mike Finger
Express-News staff writer

Tony Parker is spending his time on a basketball court in France these days. This sounds innocent enough, until you consider the list of ways the Spurs would rather see their NBA Finals MVP spending his summer vacation:

1. Honeymooning in the Yucatan with Eva and Hurricane Dean.

2. Cutting a rap album with Ron Artest.

3. Walking through the roughest neighborhood in Phoenix with the Larry O'Brien trophy and a blown-up picture of Steve Nash's bloody nose.

The last place Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford want Parker is in a gym, putting their hopes of a repeat championship at risk with every off-balance drive, every awkward leap, every hard foul. They'd prefer to see him partying in Hollywood or gorging on crème brûlée instead of taking the ball to the basket, but know they can't have their way.

Mike Finger
Got a question for Mike Finger? Use the form below and fire away!
*Your name

*Your e-mail

Your hometown

*Your question

*Required

Parker, like a handful of other NBA stars, wants to play for his country. In that pursuit, just like when he has the ball in the open floor, there's no stopping him.

Even when the summer began, the Spurs weren't thrilled with Parker's decision to help the French national team in its bid to qualify for the Olympics. And that was before he sprained his left ankle during a practice in France, then returned to San Antonio for treatment on Aug. 2.

But when he decided to return to Europe and play through the pain? He would have made Popovich and Buford more comfortable if he'd told them he was going clubbing with Pacman Jones.

The Spurs have had players participate in summer tournaments for national teams before, and that's one reason they're nervous. They've seen Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili struggle to shake off the effects of a grueling summer after they played in Olympics and world championships, and they'd rather not worry about Parker suffering from a similar hangover this winter.

Then there's the potential for a season-sinking injury.

"There's always concerns," Buford said. "If it's not the ankle, he could break his finger like he did last year."

The Spurs dodged a bullet when that finger injury, which Parker suffered in a French exhibition game, didn't cost him any playing time once the NBA season began.

But ankle injuries can linger, even for a player as young as Parker. He told Buford his ankle only feels "about 70 or 80 percent," but that he's intent on being well enough to play for France in the European Championships, which begin Sept. 3.

"I know he's really committed to help France get to the Olympics," Buford said. "That being the case, he's probably going to put himself out there in a way that we'd be uncomfortable with."

Of course, it's not as though Buford and Popovich are alone in their discomfort. Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni, Denver's George Karl, and Cleveland's Mike Brown likely don't feel any better about watching Amare Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James put their bodies on the line for Team USA in Las Vegas this month.

So Buford and Popovich have given Parker their blessing, even if their hearts aren't completely in it. They've done the same for Duncan, and will do it again for Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto, who have a gold medal to defend for Argentina next summer.

With all of those players, the Spurs realize they occasionally have to allow them leeway that doesn't necessarily fall under the franchise's plan.

"They are very, very proud of their country," Buford said. "And they're very, very proud of being part of the Spurs. They come and give us a great experience, so it's hard to begrudge them the fact that they really are proud of their national teams and that they want to go with them."

Still, Buford and Popovich worry, because that's what executives and coaches do. They worry that Parker's quickness, his biggest weapon, will be affected even a little next season by tired legs or the aftereffects of an ankle injury that never had time to heal. They worry about stray elbows and torn hamstrings and stray batteries thrown by overzealous European fans.

But all that worrying beats the alternative.

That would be having a bunch of players no national team wanted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

Freeze
08-25-2007, 09:04 AM
3. Walking through the roughest neighborhood in Phoenix with the Larry O'Brien trophy and a blown-up picture of Steve Nash's bloody nose.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

nfg3
08-25-2007, 10:46 AM
I know this wont happen and this is really about blowing off steam and the off season being soooooo looooong but what if TP gets really hurt? Season ending injury or worse? What does that do to our chance for a repeat? Does that question really need an answer? NO. Our chances go down significantly. So here is the question - what if NBA teams can write into the contracts clauses whereby the team can have options if a player is injured while playing for their national team? They have clauses covering other non basketball activities now - ex.. Hurley and Williams's motorcycle accidents.

What penalties would be appropriate? That is open for debate. Below are some I thought of.

Career ending injury: then the team could void the contract and walk. Player is a free agent and can do whatever. Team suffers no financial obligation to the player.

Season ending injury : Either a total loss of salary or a reduced salary for time loss to the team.

These are just a few but I frankly don't think most players would sign a contract with these clauses, especially the foreign ones whose careers are closely monitored and controlled by their national organizations and have an obligation to play for them when World and Olympic Games happen.

This is a tough situation for owners and coaches. Their success and livilhood's are dependent on their players and when/if one gets hurt real bad then they suffer. Like I said before this wont happen or at least not in the near future but when a major player (Kobe, Yao, Manu, Parker, Dirk, Nash...etc) suffers a season ending injury or ends their career during international tournaments then this subject will be discussed more seriously.

ducks
08-25-2007, 10:48 AM
tp could also get hurt like brand did working out with chip in sa
playing organized ball is better then street ball
I would rather he be just working on his shooting but he does need to lose those extra pounds he put on on his honeymoon

exstatic
08-25-2007, 11:02 AM
I know this wont happen and this is really about blowing off steam and the off season being soooooo looooong but what if TP gets really hurt? Season ending injury or worse? What does that do to our chance for a repeat? Does that question really need an answer? NO. Our chances go down significantly. So here is the question - what if NBA teams can write into the contracts clauses whereby the team can have options if a player is injured while playing for their national team? They have clauses covering other non basketball activities now - ex.. Hurley and Williams's motorcycle accidents.

What penalties would be appropriate? That is open for debate. Below are some I thought of.

Career ending injury: then the team could void the contract and walk. Player is a free agent and can do whatever. Team suffers no financial obligation to the player.

Season ending injury : Either a total loss of salary or a reduced salary for time loss to the team.

These are just a few but I frankly don't think most players would sign a contract with these clauses, especially the foreign ones whose careers are closely monitored and controlled by their national organizations and have an obligation to play for them when World and Olympic Games happen.

This is a tough situation for owners and coaches. Their success and livilhood's are dependent on their players and when/if one gets hurt real bad then they suffer. Like I said before this wont happen or at least not in the near future but when a major player (Kobe, Yao, Manu, Parker, Dirk, Nash...etc) suffers a season ending injury or ends their career during international tournaments then this subject will be discussed more seriously.
The problem is, while the teams, coaches, GMs and owners would like them to stay home, Stern and the NBA marketing apparatchiks want the exposure and would never allow such a clause in any NBA contract.

While I hold nothing against their NT or country, I'm wishing for a quick elimination of France. Tony can get back to SA and resume treatment on his ankle,and the bonus is he wouldn't be playing next summer, either. A bum ankle would be much worse for Tony than it was for Tim. Tony needs that quickness and burst.

TMTTRIO
08-25-2007, 12:42 PM
They've seen Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili struggle to shake off the effects of a grueling summer after they played in Olympics and world championships, and they'd rather not worry about Parker suffering from a similar hangover this winter.
Actually Manu seemed to have his best years when he played during the summer. It'll be interesting how he does with another whole summer off. We all know how it was last year.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-25-2007, 12:48 PM
These are just a few but I frankly don't think most players would sign a contract with these clauses, especially the foreign ones whose careers are closely monitored and controlled by their national organizations and have an obligation to play for them when World and Olympic Games happen.I sincerely hope you're talking about Yao Ming because Parker and Manu have NO obligation of playing for their national team. They play because they want to plain and simple.

T Park
08-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Simple.

You get hurt playing on your time, you dont get paid for time missed at work.

It happens in the real world.

This playing all season then all summer bullshit for free, but expecting that 12 million come November, has got to stop.

What do you want more, the 12 mill and fame of the NBA, or some rats named Remy cheering you on for free?

v2freak
08-25-2007, 02:26 PM
If it bothers the NBA so much, they shouldn't draft international players. I don't blame them for wanting to protect their investments, but this is an easily remedied problem.

nfg3
08-25-2007, 02:37 PM
I sincerely hope you're talking about Yao Ming because Parker and Manu have NO obligation of playing for their national team. They play because they want to plain and simple.

Yes you are correct. I wasn't specfic enough when I typed that statement in. I was thinking more along the lines of Yao and what has happened with Ji lately. I was thinking about national organizations controlling their players for the benefit of the nation rather than the individual.

Exstatic - I second France's quick exit. Get back to working on his shots and expanding his range.

exstatic
08-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Simple.

This playing all season then all summer bullshit for free, but expecting that 12 million come November, has got to stop.

What do you want more, the 12 mill and fame of the NBA, or some rats named Remy cheering you on for free?
That's just never going to happen. The players that play for their National teams are usually the cream of the crop, and if Team A says "We won't pay you if you get hurt playing for your NT" then Team B will happily step up and guarantee the deal. Stern and the NBA office will not EVER allow such a clause in a contract anyway. Hell, they don't even allow the teams to verbally tell them not to play right now.

T Park
08-25-2007, 02:49 PM
That's just never going to happen. The players that play for their National teams are usually the cream of the crop, and if Team A says "We won't pay you if you get hurt playing for your NT" then Team B will happily step up and guarantee the deal. Stern and the NBA office will not EVER allow such a clause in a contract anyway. Hell, they don't even allow the teams to verbally tell them not to play right now.

Somethings gotta be done about it.

Its bullshit, and the one that suffers the most/

The fans, when the team sucks due to Player A getting hurt doing it.

Ex 1, Memphis last year.

Kori Ellis
08-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Simple.

What if a player gets hurt in a charity tournament? That's on his time too.

What if he gets hurt playing in his backyard with his kids?

They shouldn't get paid? :rolleyes

Tony Parker can get hurt at the practice facility working out with Tim and anyone else just as easily as he can get hurt in France.

T Park
08-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Its still wrong, you can throw out all the "what if he gets hurt playing badgammon with Florent Pietrus in the backyard" you want.

But playing for another team, in the summer, when he could be working on his game, or resting up for another season, is dangerous.

and when said player gets hurt, we all suffer for it.

polandprzem
08-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Somethings gotta be done about it.

Its bullshit, and the one that suffers the most/

The fans, when the team sucks due to Player A getting hurt doing it.

Ex 1, Memphis last year.

tell us tell

what gotta to be done, what gotta?

Kori Ellis
08-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Its still wrong, you can throw out all the "what if he gets hurt playing badgammon with Florent Pietrus in the backyard" you want.

But playing for another team, in the summer, when he could be working on his game, or resting up for another season, is dangerous.

and when said player gets hurt, we all suffer for it.

He is working on his game.

T Park
08-25-2007, 03:01 PM
He is working on his game.

funny, i didnt know Chip England joined the FT.

tell us tell

what gotta to be done, what gotta?

Discourage it from day 1 you draft him.

You sit the guy down and say look, you wanted to be in the nBA, were giving you millions, now give us the respect and in the summer, REST.

Kori Ellis
08-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Chip travels with Tony in the summer.

He's done so for the last few summers. He went to L.A. with him last year and to Paris.

Kori Ellis
08-25-2007, 03:03 PM

You sit the guy down and say look, you wanted to be in the nBA, were giving you millions, now give us the respect and in the summer, REST.

All the American players too? The Cavs should tell LeBron not to play? :lol

T Park
08-25-2007, 03:07 PM
If I were the Cavaliers, and seeing as hes IT, everything, the man, the kahuna, I would more than likely beg him not to.

polandprzem
08-25-2007, 03:24 PM

Don't tell me that for you only the money counts.
You live for more things man.
Being proud of the nationality and being proud to represent their own country.

And back to what you said that we "all suffer for it"
How come?

And should there be a team USA?
A high school kids?
Well the kids can't play so you have to look up at the plygrounds... :cooldevil

T Park
08-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Don't tell me that for you only the money counts.
You live for more things man.
Being proud of the nationality and being proud to represent their own country.

money makes the world go round.

National pride dont pay the bills either.

And back to what you said that we "all suffer for it"
How come

If Parker godforbid blows his knee out, done for the year, Spurs don't repeat.

You don't think we, as spurs fans, suffer for that?

Kori Ellis
08-25-2007, 03:46 PM

And if a player gets a season ending injury in training camp, do you suffer less?

Kori Ellis
08-25-2007, 03:47 PM
By the way, everyone better be knocking and wood while talking about injuries :)

spurster
08-25-2007, 03:51 PM
The problem is, while the teams, coaches, GMs and owners would like them to stay home, Stern and the NBA marketing apparatchiks want the exposure and would never allow such a clause in any NBA contract.

Why is NBA basketball so popular? Part of it is seeing your country's players on your national team. Stern and the NBA would be stupid to allow any restrictions on NT play.

In the short term, TP playing this summer is bad for the Spurs, but in the long term, it is good for the NBA.

polandprzem
08-25-2007, 03:51 PM

I don't think TP got problems with the bills.

You live for the money T Park?

Well you are a spurs fan and nobody is paying you for it. Am I wrong?
You love the spurs and love to be a fan. ( a hardcore one as you assuming)

Okay now let Tony play the game he loves.
Let him play for a national team. That is important to him. Don't you think?

Yup this is more probable he will get injured cause of too little rest.
But he can blow his knee in an NBA season which is much more intense in playing games.

Freeze
08-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Come on guys do you really think NBA players aren't covered by a specific insurance when they play for their NT ????
NT must suscribe these, and their amount are sometimes huge (I remember Dirk paying to play a few summer ago, and remember this year +500 K$ policy this year).
As a result, an injury as Gasol's last year haven't coast a single $ to Memphis : insurance paid +1.5M$ fot it.

Anyway, I don't understand how in a country as the US, so proud of their athletes wins in international events, you can't understand the need of achievement of international players for their countries !!!

And just to close the debate about resting on summers :
2005 : Ginobili has had his best season after winning Olympic gold
2006 : TP has had his breakout season after playing the Eurobasket
Diaw MIP after playing the Eurobasket
2007 : Dirk MVP after playing the world championship
Need more examples ???

wildbill2u
08-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Any parent has the same fears about injury when they see their child face any of the myriad hazzards of growing up, like crossing a busy street, ride a bike or play sports. You can't put them in a cocoon and keep them from all danger. It's called living a life.

This is just one of those things where you have to suck it up and pray that nothing bad happens.

Gros Membres!
08-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Two words: Troy Hudson.

S i mu l t an e o us kn ockin g

ducks
08-25-2007, 06:04 PM
tp could also get hurt like brand did working out with chip in sa

RC's Boss
08-25-2007, 06:14 PM
If I were the Cavaliers, and seeing as hes IT, everything, the man, the kahuna, I would more than likely beg him not to.
Maybe we should just ban all NBA players from playing for their national teams :rolleyes

ducks
08-25-2007, 06:16 PM
after what happened to brand this year
band them from working on their games at their own practice place to

v2freak
08-25-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm with T Park on all of this. Also, the chances of getting hurt playing in international competitions are much greater than getting hit by a bus, granted you're not running around on the street during rush hour.