PDA

View Full Version : 2012

BronxCowboy
08-25-2007, 12:10 PM
It's five years in the future. Timmy and Manu have both announced their retirement, opening both huge gaps in the line-up and a large amount of cap space. Tony Parker is a perennial all-star and under contract for 3 more years. There are no other all-star caliber players on the team. Assuming Portland has Greg Oden locked up long term, who do you pursue in free agency/trade? Do you keep TP and build around him, or do you trade him and hope to win the lottery?

Kori Ellis
08-25-2007, 12:15 PM
:lol

I don't realize care about five years from now. But I'd wait to see what other players are here besides Tony. When Tim and Manu retire, who knows who else will be on the team and how good they'll be. For all we know, Mahinmi, Splitter and Sanikidze might be All-Stars :lol

BronxCowboy
08-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Just a hypothetical scenario . . . wanted to hear some other posters fantasies. We already know what the team is this year.

BronxCowboy
08-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Also, for all we know, Splitter, Mahinmi, and Sanikidze could have bolted for bigger paychecks by then.

JamStone
08-25-2007, 12:26 PM
When Tim Duncan retires, so does Pop. And, then even with Tony Parker in his prime, there will be quite a few down years for the Spurs. Every great franchise goes through this. Without Tim Duncan and Manu and most likely Pop, why would the very top free agents want to join the Spurs? Great organization, but without Duncan and Manu and Pop, it's a tougher sell.

Maybe guys like Boris Diaw or Johan Petro or Nicolas Batum are superstars by then and can be lured by Parker. Other than that, the superstar big men like Greg Oden and Dwight Howard and Chris Bosh are not going to be easy catches for a team like the Spurs. Now, Lakers or Knicks, at least they'll have a shot because of the cities. But, best bet is a second tier star.

SequSpur
08-25-2007, 12:39 PM
you know why players will want to come here? cuz the spurs have money... period.

T Park
08-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Whos to say Sanikidze, Splitter, and Mahinmi couldn't become all star like contributers.

Like a Ginobili.

spursfaninla
08-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I doubt parker signs a contract with the spurs once tim and manu and pop are gone. Tony will go play for a big city with money and a chance for eva to live and work near by him.

The Spurs will be lucky to be like the Bulls or Celtics after their championships... recover after 10 years of bottom dwelling with occasional bouts of a modicum of playoff success.

JamStone
08-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Whos to say Sanikidze, Splitter, and Mahinmi couldn't become all star like contributers.

Like a Ginobili.

No one, but the question in the original post was who do the Spurs pursue in free agency and trade.

T Park
08-25-2007, 01:11 PM
No one, but the question in the original post was who do the Spurs pursue in free agency and trade.

thats impossible to know at this point.

JamStone
08-25-2007, 01:17 PM
you know why players will want to come here? cuz the spurs have money... period.

Because the 1999 Chicago Bulls brought in those NBA superstars, right?

And, the 1992 Lakers were able to replace Magic and Kareem no problem, right?

When Duncan leaves, so will elite status for at least a few years. And, money doesn't guarantee getting a top superstar talent in free agency unless you're the Lakers or sometimes (but not recently, but also because they don't have cap space) the Knicks. Not even Boston and Chicago could lure the best free agents when they had money in the last decade. Spurs with money won't be able to either.

Spurs might be able to get a Chris Wilcox type or a Larry Hughes type of free agent, but getting a KG type or a Jason Kidd type of free agent? Nope, not even with all the cap space in the world. The superstar would have to have ties in Texas or ties with Tony Parker, if Parker is still with the Spurs. Otherwise, having the money doesn't help in comparison to how easy it is to lure free agents to the Lakers or Knicks when they have money to spend. Even places like Phoenix and Miami carry more weight in terms of luring top free agents.

Spurs are a class organization. One of the best in all of sports over the last decade. But, take Duncan and Manu and Pop away, they're not getting a LeBron or Dwight Howard if they were free agents.

JamStone
08-25-2007, 01:18 PM
thats impossible to know at this point.

Fine, but that's the question posed.

It's called a hypothetical. Not asking for a guaranteed prediction. It was a hypothetical question.

exstatic
08-25-2007, 01:27 PM
I doubt parker signs a contract with the spurs once tim and manu and pop are gone. Tony will go play for a big city with money and a chance for eva to live and work near by him.
I have a very strong feeling that Eva's 15 minutes will be over by July 2011 when Tony's contract is up. Tony will have a fistful of rings, and no one could pay him more, or even as much overall, as the Spurs. I'm not sure he leaves unless the Spurs tell him they want to go a different direction

The Spurs will be lucky to be like the Bulls or Celtics after their championships... recover after 10 years of bottom dwelling with occasional bouts of a modicum of playoff success.
Both teams made horrible personnel decisions that contributed to their decade+ funks.

Everyone used offers from Chicago to leverage their own teams to either sign them to MAX deals, or S&T them to the destination of their choice. Once Chicago figured out that top shelf FAs aren't the path to rebuild, and that they were tired of being everyone else's FA bitch, they started going in the right direction by drafting and developing talent, but then ran off a cliff again by trading Brand. WTF? They deserved another 5 years of shit for THAT move.

The Celtics are still fucking clueless. They seemed to be on the right track, and then traded ALL of their young talent for graybeards. They'll have 2 maybe 3 strong years, and then it's back in the shit.

T Park
08-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Fine, but that's the question posed.

It's called a hypothetical. Not asking for a guaranteed prediction. It was a hypothetical question.

it may be.

But theres thousands of factors that have to go into it.

Will Parker be a better, same, or worse player in 5 years?

Will Sanikidze, Mahinmi, Splitter, Williams, and others develop into solid to good players?

All those factos and many others as well.

Fast Dunk
08-25-2007, 01:44 PM
It's five years in the future. Timmy and Manu have both announced their retirement, opening both huge gaps in the line-up and a large amount of cap space. Tony Parker is a perennial all-star and under contract for 3 more years. There are no other all-star caliber players on the team. Assuming Portland has Greg Oden locked up long term, who do you pursue in free agency/trade? Do you keep TP and build around him, or do you trade him and hope to win the lottery?

Lottery here we come!

JamStone
08-25-2007, 01:49 PM
it may be.

But theres thousands of factors that have to go into it.

Will Parker be a better, same, or worse player in 5 years?

Will Sanikidze, Mahinmi, Splitter, Williams, and others develop into solid to good players?

All those factos and many others as well.

You talk as if this is the first ever hypothetical question ever posed on a sports message board. Of course there will be other factors five years down the line. It's just asking your opinion and prediction of what you would do. Make up your own scenario on how things will be in five years. Come on, you can do it. It just takes a little imagination.

Slo spurs fan
08-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Beno will be 1st PG and Tony will be his backup. :)

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Lottery here we come!
For real? I thought the Cavs had a good future ahead of them.

Fast Dunk
08-25-2007, 02:07 PM
For real? I thought the Cavs had a good future ahead of them.

I meant your sorry ass team, once Duncan retires....They are lottery bound....

Not even Parker or Ginobili, Splitter Mahinmi or whatever are going to save your lottery bound team.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-25-2007, 02:15 PM
I meant your sorry ass team,

Since when does a Cavs fan say we and he means the Spurs?

once Duncan retires...They are lottery bound....

Nah we'll still be at least a 7th seed team.

Not even Parker or Ginobili, Splitter Mahinmi or whatever are going to save your lottery bound team.

I think it's a little too early to be thinking about the 2012 season.

Fast Dunk
08-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Since when does a Cavs fan say we and he means the Spurs? I was quoting what spurs fans would say..

Dumb ass!

Nah we'll still be at least a 7th seed team.

Lottery bound Face it!

I think it's a little too early to be thinking about the 2012 season.

Better now than later

Mediocrity is what your team will embrace soon.

duncan228
08-25-2007, 02:32 PM
If Fast Dunk hadn't stuck around after we swept his team we may have forgotten how refreshing the Cavs fans were.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-25-2007, 02:35 PM
I was quoting what spurs fans would say..

Dumb ass!

There were no quotations...

Dumb ass!

Lottery bound Face it!

How did the Spurs do after they lost David?

Better now than later

I'd rather focus on next year's repeat than losing Tim Duncan in about 6 years. You can focus on just making it to the semis.

Mediocrity is what your team will embrace soon.

6 years isn't soon.

ChumpDumper
08-25-2007, 03:12 PM
If Fast Dunk hadn't stuck around after we swept his team we may have forgotten how refreshing the Cavs fans were.He's a Rocketfan -- but both teams are much more familiar with the lottery than the Spurs, so he knows what he's talking about.

Anyway, the lottery has been very, very good to the Spurs. It can't be seen as a negative for us. Even win we lose, we win. Cavs and Rockets just lose.

nfg3
08-25-2007, 03:13 PM
For anyone to gleefully say that the Spurs are lottery bound and relish the thought needs a quick history lesson. Not to say past performances will be the same in the future but twice the Spurs have won the lottery and what did they get?

1. David Robinson - 1987

2. Tim Duncan - 1997

Yes I know two mediocre and pedestrian players but the Spurs seemed to make do with them anyway. Oh well life can be cruel sometimes.

Yeah - 4 LB trophies!

I can live with that. When Duncan retires then bring the lottery on!

When will David's kids be eligible for the draft and if they are really good can we sneak into camp without anyone noticing?

remingtonbo2001
08-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Lottery here we come!

I guess that means Lebron decided to pick up his bags and come to San Antonio. SWEET. Good luck with lottery Cavs fan.

Switchman
08-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Parker will leave us.

Or...Duncan and Pop are gone. Parker decides to stay. S.A. is a flourishing city quickly gaining ranks, and the Spurs lose their uniqueness about them and become like every other lame team in the NBA.

But I'm betting Parker will have left for the spot light by then.

remingtonbo2001
08-25-2007, 05:41 PM
I think FASTDUNK is a Spurs fan in disguise, maybe an alto-ego. I mean really who would want to be a Cavs fan, or for that matter any team in Clevand? I don't buy it. FASTDUNK IS NOT A CAVS FAN.

RC's Boss
08-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Parker is the greatest PG ever. We'll be okay when Tim and Manu leaves. For the Parkster shall have no problem leading the Spurs to the promised land!

ducks
08-25-2007, 06:28 PM
When Tim Duncan retires, so does Pop. And, then even with Tony Parker in his prime, there will be quite a few down years for the Spurs. Every great franchise goes through this. Without Tim Duncan and Manu and most likely Pop, why would the very top free agents want to join the Spurs? Great organization, but without Duncan and Manu and Pop, it's a tougher sell.

Maybe guys like Boris Diaw or Johan Petro or Nicolas Batum are superstars by then and can be lured by Parker. Other than that, the superstar big men like Greg Oden and Dwight Howard and Chris Bosh are not going to be easy catches for a team like the Spurs. Now, Lakers or Knicks, at least they'll have a shot because of the cities. But, best bet is a second tier star.
did you say that when david robinson retired spurs would suck?

JamStone
08-25-2007, 06:58 PM
did you say that when david robinson retired spurs would suck?

No. Are you insinuating that when Tim Duncan leaves, Tony Parker will be the same caliber of player Tim Duncan was when David Robinson retired?

I'm expressing an opinion. If you choose to disagree with it, good for you. It's my opinion.

RC's Boss
08-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Get A Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get a team!

freedom&justice
08-25-2007, 08:46 PM
I guess that means Lebron decided to pick up his bags and come to San Antonio. SWEET. Good luck with lottery Cavs fan.

:lol
Or he could take his buddy Jay-Z up on his offer and move to Brooklyn with the Nets!

Brutalis
08-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Parker isn't ever leaving. Not if Eva is truly from SA.

Once TD retires, I expect us to be in far better shape than most of these sub-par teams have been looking in the past few years in rebuilding attempts. I think we'll be making the playoffs for sure.

spursfan09
08-26-2007, 08:18 PM
I think no matter what the Spurs will never have a team that consists of this type of greatness again. The Spurs rebuild and be good again eventually, but never at this level.

MrChug
08-27-2007, 12:03 AM
PG-Tony Parker (declining motivation unless we're still contending)
SG-Arron Afflalo (exactly our style...low cost still)
SF-Luol Deng (a star veteran at this point 20ppg, 8 rpg...max contract)
PF-Emeka Okafor (out of his contract and will be sought after by the Spurs/a major injury will make him cheaper and he WILL have one, he trains too heavy)
C-Darko Milicic (superstar by that point who we will have under contract for a few years beyond this)

wildbill2u
08-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Hard to imagine which European or other international player, now in the equivilent of our high school, we'll pick out of obscurity and who will become a star to join Mahimi, Splitter and Sanizkidze and Parker.

Given the fact that there are over 1.2 BILLION Chinese, and they are going at basketball in their methodical way, the odds are he will be from China.

Dave McNulla
08-27-2007, 11:54 AM
It's five years in the future. Timmy and Manu have both announced their retirement, opening both huge gaps in the line-up and a large amount of cap space. Tony Parker is a perennial all-star and under contract for 3 more years. There are no other all-star caliber players on the team. Assuming Portland has Greg Oden locked up long term, who do you pursue in free agency/trade? Do you keep TP and build around him, or do you trade him and hope to win the lottery?there's a high school freshman that i think will develop to be the spurs next star.

703 Spurz
08-27-2007, 09:37 PM

When have the Spurs ever gotten the very top free agents? All we get are good players, no all stars or superstars

703 Spurz
08-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Lottery here we come!

And after 4, or maybe 5, 6 or 7 rings do you really think being a lottery team would be a bad thing?

I mean how else did Cleveland get James?

Asshole

DR WU
08-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Mayan long-calender doomsday: 12/21/12

Mister Sinister
08-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Mayan long-calender doomsday: 12/21/12
:lol Was waiting for that.

tlongII
08-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Given the Spurs luck in the lottery, I don't think it's a bad thing if they end up there. It's all about timing. Get a top pick when a dominant player is available.

ArgSpursFan
08-28-2007, 09:58 AM

Like a Ginobili.

Sorry,but There´s no way to compare one of the best SGs in the whole world in the last 5 yrs ,with a couple of role players.
There´s only gonna be one Manu Ginobili,but people in S.A will realize that in 10 yrs or so,when He is no longer active.

Oh, Gee!!
08-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Bush will have blowed this entire world up within 5 years, so just enjoy the spurs while you can

JamStone
08-28-2007, 11:51 AM
When have the Spurs ever gotten the very top free agents? All we get are good players, no all stars or superstars

David Robinson and Tim Duncan for the last 20 years allowed the Spurs not to need them. When Duncan and Ginobili are gone, don't you think the Spurs will try to get a top superstar free agent? Now, I won't assume that it's impossible for any of their young prospects to turn out to be stars in their own right. But, the original post asked who the Spurs should go after in five years, and I mentioned how it would be difficult to lure a top superstar free agent to San Antonio with Duncan, Ginobili and likely Pop gone from the team. That's all I was saying.

TheAuthority
08-28-2007, 11:54 AM
The world is ending in 2012, so don't worry about it.

DarkReign
08-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Must be nice to know that your team will be in the hunt for the championship every year until 2012. It only get sketchy then and only then.

saporvida
08-28-2007, 12:07 PM
The world is ending in 2012, so don't worry about it.

mayans....

this is just my take... pop aint going nowhere. parker aint going nowhere. the rest well thats up in the air.

DarkReign
08-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Parker is the greatest PG ever. We'll be okay when Tim and Manu leaves. For the Parkster shall have no problem leading the Spurs to the promised land!

I hope youre kidding. TP is an awesome PG, no question.

"...greatest PG ever." Far from.

TheAuthority
09-06-2007, 03:23 AM
Parker is out of here quick as shit when Duncan is gone. Pop will be right out the door with him. He knows he's a shitty coach and can't put anything together without Tim on his squad. Book it.

spursjustice
09-06-2007, 04:19 AM
I dread the day Duncan retires... I think I am going to drown my sorrows away at a pub... I am HOPING that Duncan can transfer his smarts and fundamentals to Mahinmi...

smrattler
09-06-2007, 08:18 AM
2012? I can't wait! I'll be using those jet packs to go to the store and answering telepathic speedial calls.