PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys really hate the redskins?

Jelly
08-25-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm from Texas, but have lived in the DC area for several years. I don't recall anywhere near the vitriolic hatred from Texans towards the Redskins as I have encountered over here against the Cowboys. People DESPISE Dallas. It's as strong as a Red Sox/Yankee hatred thing over here. If we hated the Redskins this strongly, I never really noticed. Did I just totally have my head in the sand all those years.

Obstructed_View
08-25-2007, 01:59 PM
You aren't mistaken. The hate doesn't go equally both ways. Cowboys fans don't hate anyone as a group. Perhaps the Eagles come closest, and the Steelers would be second. Those are old wounds for the most part.

TLWisfoine
08-25-2007, 02:25 PM
You aren't mistaken. The hate doesn't go equally both ways. Cowboys fans don't hate anyone as a group. Perhaps the Eagles come closest, and the Steelers would be second. Those are old wounds for the most part.

That may be true now as the Cowboys have been beating up on the Redskins with some regularity, but back in the day the hatred for the Redskins ran pretty deep when both teams were more or less equal.

K-State Spur
08-25-2007, 03:14 PM
I was a Skins fan in Texas in the early 90s (back when the Skins had won 3 super bowls since the Cowboys' most recent) - and there was a significant amount of hate towards DC back in those days (probably more than DC had for Landry & the Cowboys).

That the cowboys have been more successful over the past decade+ has a lot to do with settling down the emotions on that side.

Obstructed_View
08-25-2007, 04:17 PM
That may be true now as the Cowboys have been beating up on the Redskins with some regularity, but back in the day the hatred for the Redskins ran pretty deep when both teams were more or less equal.
That's true, but the same goes for the Eagles and the Giants. It's more a matter of who's good, and there is never really a consensus. Redskins fans hate the Cowboys and Cowboys fans no matter what their record is.

Death In June
08-25-2007, 05:25 PM
I think if any visceral hatred for a team exist, it's the eagels and more recently the giants. The skins are just another opponent in my eyes.

K-State Spur
08-25-2007, 08:27 PM
That's true, but the same goes for the Eagles and the Giants. It's more a matter of who's good, and there is never really a consensus. Redskins fans hate the Cowboys and Cowboys fans no matter what their record is.

The nice thing about the NFC East is that every division game IS a rivalry game.

Back in the late 80s, Skins fans were usually more worried about the Giants and Parcells than the Cowboys.

But - all other things being equal - Skins and Cowboys is the most heated rivalry in the division.

samikeyp
08-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Cowboys fans don't hate anyone as a group.

I know several fans who do. :)

Personally, I don't think hate belongs in sports but as a Cowboys fan, I dislike the Eagles more than the Redskins. I think Washington is a bigger rival but I have respect for the organization. When Tom Landry died, they had a special tribute to him in DC and payed much respect to him more than the other teams did. (Even NYG whom he played and coached for) I don't like the Redskins but there is alot of respect. Plus I have one of my best friends working in their front office.

StylisticS
08-25-2007, 10:59 PM
I think if any visceral hatred for a team exist, it's the eagels and more recently the giants. The skins are just another opponent in my eyes.

Whatever. If you are a Cowboy fan, you are certainly in the minority. Most Cowboy fans hates the Redskins, period. We have to much history with this franchise. From them trying to stop us getting into the league, to the Cowboys having the overall advantage by a wide margin, to us buying the rights to their fight song, to them being 2-0 against us in the playoffs including winning the NFC Championship game 1982 by beating us at RFK, to the Skins beating the Cowboys regular players with replacements, to the Cowboys blowing out the Redskins time after time and winning 16 out of the last 20 games and more and more. We hate the Eagles because of their fans but with their lack of hardware, they are irrelevant. We don't usually care for the Giants except the New York area Cowboy fans. But we HATE the redskins players, coaches, and fans. The coaches get into it, the players get into it, and the fans really get into it.

The reason why it may seem that the Skins hate the Cowboys more out in DC is because the second largest fanbase in the DC metropolitan area are the Dallas Cowboys. You will see as many Cowboy stuff around here as you see Redskin. I was shocked when I first came up here and saw it and when others from around the country come, they are shocked as well. Make no mistake, The Redskins fanbase is growing in Dallas as well. In fact, it will be the 2nd largest fanbase in the metroplex in a little while itself. The Redskins are our number 1 rival. The only rivalry that Dallas has that comes close to that is the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC and the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC. But division rivals are special and a bigger element.

Obstructed_View
08-26-2007, 01:40 AM
The nice thing about the NFC East is that every division game IS a rivalry game.
And that makes the NFC East so great. It's so much fun to have bitter rivalries between all the teams all the time.

Bigzax
08-26-2007, 09:12 AM
i love the cowboys special teams!

i member the skins blocking that fg attempt at fedex, and then watching romo play greased pig in seattle...hail cowboys special teams!

tlongII
08-26-2007, 12:21 PM
I hate every team in the NFC East. Over-publicized pieces of crap!

Bigzax
08-26-2007, 01:10 PM
I hate every team in the NFC East. Over-publicized pieces of crap!

go steelers!

your hawks got scoreboard on both the cowboys and skins last 2 years...i guess you get props for that...

http://i21.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/7d/9f/f7b9_1_b.JPG

jaespur21
08-26-2007, 05:03 PM
i was surprised bcuz on madden 08 the other day i was playing against this guy from the D.C area, and he was actually a cool dude. but that is very unusual i definately care less about Redskin fans

J.T.
08-26-2007, 05:52 PM
i was surprised bcuz on madden 08 the other day i was playing against this guy from the D.C area, and he was actually a cool dude. but that is very unusual i definately care less about Redskin fans

I user picked a Cowboys fan twice in the first quarter a couple months back on 07. He quit the game after the second one because I returned it for a score and was up 21-0 at that point.

Dallas vs Indy is a pretty good matchup when both players know how to play. Lots of noobs playing Madden online these days.

Now I'm mad because I still don't have net at home and can't DL Madden 08 yet :(

TheZackAttack!
08-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Love the Cowboys 49ers rivaly when both teams are good

florige
08-26-2007, 09:43 PM
And that makes the NFC East so great. It's so much fun to have bitter rivalries between all the teams all the time.

I looooooove going to Fed-Ex field wearing my Giants Jeremy Shockey jersey. I have to say that I honestly have more fun being a visitor at Redskins games than I do when I go to Ravens games. Those Skins fans don't layoff when you get up to leave your seats. I hope that it's like that this time too when I go on the 23rd.

gino>yourlife
08-26-2007, 10:16 PM
yes

peewee's lovechild
08-27-2007, 09:35 AM
I hate the Foreskins!!!!!!!!!!!

mardigan
08-27-2007, 10:10 AM
I hated the Skins when they were worth hating.
Now I just feel sorry for their fans for having a owner that doesnt know that draft picks are kind of valuable

Jimcs50
08-27-2007, 10:41 AM
It is the same as Aggies hating UT more than UT hating A&M and Boston hating New York more than vice versa.

The more successful teams are hated as lot more than the ones that are trying to get to that level of success....that is just human nature.

Back in the 80s, Washington was more successful and there was a lot more hate for Washington than the last 15 years, for sure.

Obstructed_View
08-27-2007, 12:21 PM
It is the same as Aggies hating UT more than UT hating A&M and Boston hating New York more than vice versa.

The more successful teams are hated as lot more than the ones that are trying to get to that level of success....that is just human nature.

Back in the 80s, Washington was more successful and there was a lot more hate for Washington than the last 15 years, for sure.
Good point, see Suns/Spurs, Mavericks/Spurs, Rockets/Spurs, Nuggets/Spurs and Spurs/Lakers.

Whisky Dog
08-27-2007, 02:56 PM
The Spurs and Lakers have done a fairly equal amount of kicking each other's ass the last few years, with the Lakers taking more in the early part of the decade. With those other teams - it's pretty much the Spurs just kicking their ass on a consistent basis.

fyatuk
08-27-2007, 03:27 PM
I dislike the Eagles more than the Redskins, but that's probably just because one of the earliest experiences I had with rivalries was the Bounty Bowl game. And there's really been no challenge with the Redskins lately while the Eagles keep beating the 'Boys for the most part.

But even when both teams suck, Redskins-Cowboys is one of the most watched football games of the year, so that should tell you something about the power of that rivalry.

K-State Spur
08-27-2007, 04:27 PM
I hated the Skins when they were worth hating.
Now I just feel sorry for their fans for having a owner that doesnt know that draft picks are kind of valuable

draft picks are vastly over-valued by many teams. while the media loves to rag on the skins in that regard, the players aquired via trade for those picks have typically (and usually by a huge margin) out-performed the guys who were drafted in those spots.

there have been some mistakes (i.e. a 3rd & a 4th for the rarely used TJ Duckett), but to date - the best player drafted by another team with a redskin pick is *drumroll* Tatum Bell!

Typically the biggest flaw in the Redskins strategy over the years has been an inability to add quality depth (via the draft or free agency) and paying too much for players past their primes - although everybody seems to love that when the Pats do it this past offseason (not to say that they haven't earned more leeway with the media that the Skins have).

K-State Spur
08-27-2007, 04:30 PM
And there's really been no challenge with the Redskins lately while the Eagles keep beating the 'Boys for the most part.

No challenge? Skins have won 3 out of 4 between the two teams and have more playoff victories (2 vs. 0) than the Cowboys over the past decade.

Obstructed_View
08-27-2007, 05:25 PM
No challenge? Skins have won 3 out of 4 between the two teams and have more playoff victories (2 vs. 0) than the Cowboys over the past decade.
Make sure not to mention the Redsins' record in the 20 or so Cowboys games before that, where they won maybe three times.

It's nice that the rivalry has showed signs of being revived, thanks to Washington's ability to actually have one convincing win against the Cowboys for the first time since before the Clinton administration ;). Maybe if they manage to do well this year it might get the fans' attention. Until further notice they are occupying the vacated Cardinals' spot in the NFC East.

K-State Spur
08-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Make sure not to mention the Redsins' record in the 20 or so Cowboys games before that, where they won maybe three times.

It's nice that the rivalry has showed signs of being revived, thanks to Washington's ability to actually have one convincing win against the Cowboys for the first time since before the Clinton administration ;). Maybe if they manage to do well this year it might get the fans' attention. Until further notice they are occupying the vacated Cardinals' spot in the NFC East.

Hey, I'll even go so far to say that the Cowboys franchise has been more successful over the past decade - despite no playoff wins.

I just don't agree with the "NO CHALLENGE" statement... (and it was the cowboys fan who qualified the statement with the word 'recently')

Melmart1
08-27-2007, 06:09 PM
I was taught since I was a little girl to hate the Redskins and the Steelers by my grandpa, an old-school Cowboys fan. I don't really care about teh Steelers so much and the Redskins kind of wore old when the Cowboys seem to be thier daddy during regular season for so long. Now that they are competetive against the Cowboys maybe the fire will come back.

mardigan
08-27-2007, 06:10 PM
draft picks are vastly over-valued by many teams. while the media loves to rag on the skins in that regard, the players aquired via trade for those picks have typically (and usually by a huge margin) out-performed the guys who were drafted in those spots.

there have been some mistakes (i.e. a 3rd & a 4th for the rarely used TJ Duckett), but to date - the best player drafted by another team with a redskin pick is *drumroll* Tatum Bell!

Typically the biggest flaw in the Redskins strategy over the years has been an inability to add quality depth (via the draft or free agency) and paying too much for players past their primes - although everybody seems to love that when the Pats do it this past offseason (not to say that they haven't earned more leeway with the media that the Skins have).
So your trying to say picks are overated because whoever using them doesnt know how to pick? Sorry, picks are the most valuable commodity in football.
No 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round picks this year, no 1st, 3rd, or 4th the year before, Im sure these things didt hurt the Skins at all. And who are these players that have performed well you speak of? Brandon Lloyd?

Obstructed_View
08-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Hey, I'll even go so far to say that the Cowboys franchise has been more successful over the past decade - despite no playoff wins.

I just don't agree with the "NO CHALLENGE" statement... (and it was the cowboys fan who qualified the statement with the word 'recently')
Yeah, I gotta agree with you there, considering that in two of their three wins there's an ass whipping and a humiliating last minute nationally televised win involved.

K-State Spur
08-27-2007, 11:48 PM
So your trying to say picks are overated because whoever using them doesnt know how to pick? Sorry, picks are the most valuable commodity in football.
No 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round picks this year, no 1st, 3rd, or 4th the year before, Im sure these things didt hurt the Skins at all. And who are these players that have performed well you speak of? Brandon Lloyd?

I don't argue with you that they are the most valuable football commodity, but that's only because teams give them so much value.

Very few teams draft well enough that they would be better off foregoing a known commodity to take something even as high as a second round pick.

The majority of players - drafted by ALL teams - taken in the 3rd - 7th round are out of football within 3-5 years.

Hell, even in the first round, it's more of a crapshoot than teams are willing to admit. Just go back to 2003, less than half the first round is still making a large impact with the team who drafted them.

Brandon Lloyd is looking like a mistake mainly because of the large contract given to him. But if you want to ask me who will be more productive over the next 5 years - Lloyd or Brandon Williams (the player the 49ers took with the Redskins 3rd round pick), I'd be putting my money on Lloyd.

Bigzax
08-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Jason Campbell looks goood. :smokin

i want brunell dead, but i'll be content as long as he's on the sideline...

Redskins D is pumped this year.

that is all.