PDA

View Full Version : Posey Signs With Boston

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-25-2007, 02:23 PM
August 25th, 2007
Celts agree to terms with Posey
Posted by Mark Murphy at 2:13 pm

The Celtics just agreed to terms with one of the hottest free agents still on the market - James Posey, a player who should give the Celtics defense a significant upgrade.

This 6-8 forward, known in particular for his role as a defensive stopper on the 2006 Miami team that won the NBA title, averaged 7.7 points, five boards and one steal per game last season.

The deal came together with relative haste. Though Danny Ainge, the Celtics’ director of basketball operations, had been in touch with Posey over the last month, discussions gained momentum yesterday, after Reggie Miller informed the Celtics that he would not come out of retirement to join the team.

By this afternoon, the sides had reached agreement on a deal that will pay Posey just over $3 million - the amount left on the team’s mid-level exception - next season. The full contract will pay him $7 million over the next two years, with Posey holding an option on the second season.

Posey’s decision is significant, considering that the Celtics initially considered his price to be too high. But dynamics of the market drove Posey’s price down.

According to agent Mark Bartelstein, Posey could have received more to play in some other locations, but was attracted by the Celtics’ growing allure as eastern conference contenders.

New Jersey had been close to a deal with Posey this week, but had less money to offer than the Celtics.

Though Posey had been thought to be angling for a return to Miami, the Heat’s signing of Anfernee Hardaway may have changed his thinking.

His modest scoring numbers aside, Posey is considered a high-energy player who is particularly adept that shutting down opposing small forwards and big guards.

At the age of 30, he is not only considered to be a player in his prime, but also one of the NBA’s most highly regarded role players - in short, the perfect player to compliment Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/celtics/?p=126

T Park
08-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Ok, the Celtics are for real now....

JamStone
08-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Ok, what Martian negotiating genius took over Danny Ainge's brain?

Very strong move for the Celtics. Really, really helps with their perimeter depth issues.

mardigan
08-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Wow, they are filling out that roster pretty nicely

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-25-2007, 02:28 PM
This isn't something to shit your pants about but it's pretty damn close.

timvp
08-25-2007, 02:35 PM
That's a damn nice signing for the Celtics.

:pctoss

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-25-2007, 02:40 PM
C PERKINS/OLOWAKANDI/POLLARD
PF GARNETT/POWE/DAVIS/SCALABRINE
SF PIERCE/POSEY/WALLACE
SG R. ALLEN/ T. ALLEN/HOUSE
PG RONDO/PRUITT

Definitely possible Eastern Conference Champs but I still think Chicago can take them. And then they'll still have to face Dallas or San Antonio.

duncan228
08-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Wow...They're getting better by the day.

I might actually watch some games that aren't the West this season.

BacktoBasics
08-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Great move. Team is rounding out nicely. They could still benefit from a vet PG though.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Next they're gonna sign Boykins. :shootme

Lp26
08-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Aliens have possessed Danny Ainge's body.

Great signing. Helps them tremendously defensively. They're starting to look scarier.

lefty
08-25-2007, 03:13 PM
SF PIERCE/POSEY/WALLACE
PG RONDO/PRUITT

Definitely possible Eastern Conference Champs but I still think Chicago can take them. And then they'll still have to face San Antonio.

Fixed

leemajors
08-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Next they're gonna sign Boykins. :shootme
not if they need a pg.

ChumpDumper
08-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Did they get a new head coach yet?

JamStone
08-25-2007, 04:20 PM
SF PIERCE/POSEY/WALLACE
PG RONDO/PRUITT

Definitely possible Eastern Conference Champs but I still think Chicago can take them. And then they'll still have to face the Western Conference Finalist, which won't be San Antonio because 2008 is an even number year.

Fixed. :p:

Pistonfan1
08-25-2007, 04:49 PM
SF PIERCE/POSEY/WALLACE
PG RONDO/PRUITT

Definitely possible Eastern Conference Champs but I still think Chicago can take them. And then they'll still have to face Dallas or San Antonio.

The Bulls dont have a superstar and they still have no inside game. I swear Noah is going to be a piece of shit. He might be as good as Sideshow bob but that isnt saying much. No superstar to demand double teams along with no inside game. I dont see it.

Oh and the winner of the east would have to face the Spurs, Mavs, OR SUNS. The west comes down to 3 teams not 2. The Celts if healthy and playing as a team are the best team in the east hands down.

sribb43
08-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Nice signing but other than KG, their frontcourt is trash and good luck playing the season with 1 PG, they should have split the MLE between Brevin Knight and Posey

Supergirl
08-26-2007, 10:59 PM
C's still need a vet PG to come in and help lead this team. Rondo is good, but he needs someone who can help mentor him.

But yeah, I agree - the C's should be good enough to get to the Finals. Nothing they could do could make them better than the Spurs (or, for that matter, the Mavs, the Suns, or even the Jazz -- but that's just the disparity of the conferences. Getting to the Finals is would be a major accompishment, and they could even push a 6-7 game series when they got there.

MrChug
08-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Definitely possible Eastern Conference Champs.

I don't know what THAT means but they'll still have cohesion issues and bench issues...I like what you said earlier:

"nothing to shit your pants about"...that pretty much sums it up.

mavs>spurs2
08-27-2007, 12:34 AM
The Celtics are a good PG and a couple of role players away from being legit contenders. Problem is, they have no one outside of their big 3 to offer and there are no free agents on the market that would really help their cause. My expectation is that they greatly improve, are overhyped all year, then lose in the East semis.

Ronaldo McDonald
08-27-2007, 07:47 AM
they are going to be deadly if they can all work together well

mardigan
08-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Celts are the best team in the East, no question

VaSpursFan
08-27-2007, 09:46 AM
good signing...if they manage to add a capable PG, they might make some serious noise this year. i gotta admit, danny ainge surprised me with his moves this off season. it's almost like he understands his job now :lol :lol :lol

mardigan
08-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Why does everyone think Rondo isnt a capable point guard? He is a defensive ace, averaged 4 assist a game in 24 minutes a game with no one to pass too. Plus with how good of a ball handler Allen is and how great Garnett is at facilitating the offense from the block, I think they are pretty much set

LakeShow
08-27-2007, 11:03 AM
The Celtic's are definitely Back!

Supergirl
08-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Rondo is very,very good, from what I understand -- Minnesota wanted him included in the trade for KG and Ainge wouldn't part with him. But he still needs, at the very least, a back up PG coming off the bench, or perhaps a vet PG who can help steady his transition to greatness. Gary Payton, anyone? Hmmmm.

mardigan
08-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Rondo is very,very good, from what I understand -- Minnesota wanted him included in the trade for KG and Ainge wouldn't part with him. But he still needs, at the very least, a back up PG coming off the bench, or perhaps a vet PG who can help steady his transition to greatness. Gary Payton, anyone? Hmmmm.
Thats a great idea, hadnt thought of that, Rondo is already a really good defensive point, Payton could teach him all the tricks of the trade

Solid D
08-27-2007, 05:54 PM
This will be their best team in a couple of decades if team chemistry is decent. Boston needs a seasoned floor leader/lead guard now.

duncan228
08-27-2007, 05:56 PM
This will be their best team in a couple of decades if team chemistry is decent.

So true.

I'm looking forward to watching them this year, something I haven't said since Bird retired. And I grew up a Celtics fan! :lol

Solid D
08-27-2007, 06:04 PM
As a kid, Boston was "my team", too. I had the privilege of going to the Boston Garden with my dad and seeing Russell, Satch, Hondo Havlicek, Bailey Howell, Sam Jones, Larry Siegfried, and Don Nelson. Now, I've got black and silver blood but I've always looked at Boston with favor. It should be fun this season seeing how well they play as a unit.

duncan228
08-27-2007, 11:06 PM
As a kid, Boston was "my team", too. I had the privilege of going to the Boston Garden with my dad and seeing Russell, Satch, Hondo Havlicek, Bailey Howell, Sam Jones, Larry Siegfried, and Don Nelson. Now, I've got black and silver blood but I've always looked at Boston with favor. It should be fun this season seeing how well they play as a unit.

I grew up in New England surrounded by Celtics fans, including my father and my brother.

My involvement started when I saw Bird play at the Garden in his rookie year.
To say the least, I was hooked. It was really my true introduction to the NBA.

I am all Spurs now, have been for years, but like you I have a soft spot for the Celtics. I am excited for them, they have great potential. As you said earlier, I think it's going to come down to chemistry. On paper it works, we wait to see if it does on the court.