PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts On Thompson Bros Leaving WOAI

Chris Duel
08-25-2007, 04:34 PM
I didn't see a specific thread on this, although I did see a couple of thoughts in the Vexler thread.

Since they were a big part of WOAI's Spurs coverage, I am curious to hear what all of you thought of them and now think in the aftermath of their departure.

I always liked them. I think they're great at Sports, Spurs, NFL Football and Fantasy Football.

I thought they went to the "smack talk" formula a little too much in the News-Talk arena. Seemed like one of them would give an opinion and, per formula, the other one would automatically disagree. I thought that "Guess What's In Rob's Pocket," an old hackneyed bit from 70's FM Morning Shows, had no business on The Blow Torch.

Other than that, I think they're huge Sports Talk talents and deserve to be nationally syndicated.

Who do you think can fill their shoes when it comes to Spurs pregame coverage?

I know I'll be accused of kissing-up here, but Kori knows her stuff, has proven her broadcast ability and has a track record of being a Spurs expert/insider.

On KTSA, I have Coby Dietrick on for every Spurs playoff run. Not only was he an original member of the ABA and NBA Spurs, but he served many years as a television analyst for the Spurs. I think he is vastly underrated as a Basketball, Sports and Spurs analyst.

Finally, longtime Spurs beat writer and columnist for the Express-News, Kevin O'Keefe is up in Austin right now. I'd love to see him part of the mix too.

It would be my hope that 'OAI / Ticket 760 brings aboard a person with Spurs or local ties instead of Clear Channel's flavor of the month from St. Louis or wherever who has no history with the city or the Spurs.

The promotion of Charity McCurdy to WOAI's First News suggests to me that the new regime at the station is open to promoting talent from within.

What do you think?

Chris Duel
08-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Oh, and I would have added Sports/NASCAR babe Dawn Murphy to my list above, but she's my Producer, works at KTSA and WOAI can't have her without paying me a hefty finder's fee!!!

:o)

J.T.
08-25-2007, 04:38 PM
I feel better about our repeat chances now.

remingtonbo2001
08-25-2007, 05:43 PM
I enjoyed their Spurs coverage, and yeah, I liked the pocket game too.

RC's Boss
08-25-2007, 06:04 PM
let's toke

duncan228
08-25-2007, 06:22 PM
There was a little conversation in The Club earlier today.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76535

SequSpur
08-25-2007, 06:28 PM
I think I don't listen to that station anymore.

T Park
08-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Finally, longtime Spurs beat writer and columnist for the Express-News, Kevin O'Keefe is up in Austin right now. I'd love to see him part of the mix too.

The guy is a douchebag.

No thanks.

ShoogarBear
08-25-2007, 06:47 PM
I think Kevin O'Keefe should host the Pop show.

Kori Ellis
08-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your good thoughts.

Where are the Thompsons going anyway? I haven't talked to them since the season ended.

I have know idea what WOAI is doing (has done) on the radio side. Though I know Jason/Rob/Vex very well, I know more about what goes on at TV - because my writing for WOAI is for the TV side.

Interesting thoughts about Coby Dietrich.

Thanks for the input here. The only thing that I hope really comes out of the whole radio thing is that they somehow get the Pop Show back. That was the only thing that I really listened to regularly.

T Park
08-25-2007, 07:01 PM
I apologize, thanks for your comments Chris, they are appreciated :)

inconvertible
08-25-2007, 08:47 PM
has anyone seen Chris' take when we drafted jesse salmons :lol

you would have thought we just drafted michael jordon :lol

leemajors
08-25-2007, 11:00 PM
i can pray they come replace the two douchebags they put on 1300 the zone up here in austin for drive time - gregg henson and aj hoffman. not gonna happen, they're way too bigtime for it, but it would be nice. they hired the idiots that got fired from 1530 a year or two ago for super low ratings, and they talk about anything but sports. UT starts their football season imminently, and they still have yet to talk about it in the last 3 weeks - or college football, the NFL or anything else sports.

=RTM=
08-25-2007, 11:27 PM
mouse N Kori

End of story!

=RTM=
08-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Yo Chris let Kori and I do a 15 minutes Sports/Smack talk segment until Jeff is free to Join Infinity radio?

Kori has the stats! I bring the facts!

Bill Clinton can play his Sax!

look at it this way.............

You gain over 1,200 ST posters the first show as i read many topics from this forum.I will even read IMs of over 4,500 listeners on line.

just make sure i get to use some sort of 80s Music for my intro.........

are you down? Do You have the Body?

I may just have the solution

:lmao

sorry inside Joke,

good to see you posting!

=RTM=
08-25-2007, 11:59 PM
http://mayhem-chaos.net/photoblog/images/cricket.jpg

Steve Perry
08-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Chris!..................

"Don't stop believing!"

Tonto
08-26-2007, 12:23 AM
tonto tune into pale face ktsa in tee pee
put pale face Kori and mouse
make tonto proud

tmtcsc
08-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Kevin O'Keefe - NEVER...He was a punk and let his opinion be influenced by the fact that he had a grudge towards POP. It was unwarranted, unprofessional and certainly uncalled for. Let him follow Bob Hill where ever he winds up.

Jason and Rob - I thought they were great. I think they should stick to Sports though.

Coby Dietrick - Nope. He's too far removed from the team, the game and lacks enthusiasm. Most people are surprised to know that he wasn't a Bruise Brother.
Nice enough guy, I'm sure but he played a totally different game.

Jay Howard - ? Ego aside, he was great. Keep him away from all sports but Basketball.

exstatic
08-26-2007, 12:30 PM
I think Clear Channel's one size fits all radio programming may finally be wearing thin. I also think they may be in a short term bind financially, since they are having difficulty unloading all of those stations they want to dump before the buyout. That will lead to knee-jerk reaction type actions.

Winston Wolf
08-26-2007, 02:38 PM
The T brothers were good when they had their Saturday show. once they went big they started to suck a bit. Jason sounds to much like a used car salesman.

what I want to know is why leisure suit larry is asking, unless they are going to KTSA?

Ocotillo
08-26-2007, 03:16 PM
I thought I heard where Joe Pags is gonna be on the Thompson's old time slot. I rarely listen to OAI at all but the Thompson's were pretty good and it was nice to have some local guys in the line up.

Now with glenn beck, rush and hannity preceding Pags, all Pags gives you is another right wing loud mouth with unfettered access to the public airwaves belching his opinion on anyone who stumbles across 1200 when channel surfing. Nice way to mix up there Clear Channel but I guess that's the idea.

FromWayDowntown
08-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Now with glenn beck, rush and hannity preceding Pags, all Pags gives you is another right wing loud mouth with unfettered access to the public airwaves belching his opinion on anyone who stumbles across 1200 when channel surfing. Nice way to mix up there Clear Channel but I guess that's the idea.

I agree with that.

I thought they went to the "smack talk" formula a little too much in the News-Talk arena. Seemed like one of them would give an opinion and, per formula, the other one would automatically disagree. I thought that "Guess What's In Rob's Pocket," an old hackneyed bit from 70's FM Morning Shows, had no business on The Blow Torch.

I guess it would be one thing if they were clearly of like minds on most political and social subjects, but I've heard the Thompsons say several times that while they agree on a lot of things, they also have very different perspectives on socio-political issues. I actually appreciated the give-and-take of a real discussion of issues without one side dominating the conversation for the duration of a show. I thought it particularly worked in the Thompsons case, because each has a strong opinion and stayed true to it, and each is capable of articulating that opinion in an understandable manner, seemingly without reliance on talking points.

For the record, I think Kevin O'Keeffe completely lost his credibility as a journalist when he bashed Popovich incessantly for not giving in to Vinny Del Negro's contract demands in before the 1999 season. For O'Keeffe, the Spurs beat became more about trying to find ways to make Popovich look bad than about actually analyzing what was going on with the team. In doing that, O'Keeffe actually made himself look foolish and Pop has come to look like a genius. I'll never find anything that Kevin O'Keeffe has to say about Pop's Spurs to be worth listening to.

T Park
08-26-2007, 05:30 PM

yawn :rolleyes

Pags is far from a loudmouth..

FromWayDowntown
08-26-2007, 05:40 PM
I guess we really need another 3 hours of radio time devoted to discussing the GOP's daily talking points.

T Park
08-26-2007, 05:43 PM
I guess we really need another 3 hours of radio time devoted to discussing the GOP's daily talking points

hard to offset the hours of misnformation from the democratic television networks.

Mark in Austin
08-26-2007, 11:12 PM
I really liked the Thompson's drive time show - whenever I tuned in, I heard an actual civilized discussion of an issue, not just knee-jerk hackery.

I like their sports talk too.

remingtonbo2001
08-26-2007, 11:42 PM
i can pray they come replace the two douchebags they put on 1300 the zone up here in austin for drive time - gregg henson and aj hoffman. not gonna happen, they're way too bigtime for it, but it would be nice. they hired the idiots that got fired from 1530 a year or two ago for super low ratings, and they talk about anything but sports. UT starts their football season imminently, and they still have yet to talk about it in the last 3 weeks - or college football, the NFL or anything else sports.

Hmmm....2 AGGIES talkin' ut football? That would be funny.

Chris Duel
08-26-2007, 11:48 PM
what I want to know is why leisure suit larry is asking

Wow!!!

Other than "Lounge Lizard" Eddie Gossling or the San Antonio Iguanas front office who hired me for that ill fated gig, there are only about three people who would even remember that ugly page from my checkered past!

ROTFLMAO!!! :lol

Know what my pay was as "Leisure Suit Larry?"

All the beer I could drink! :toast :drunk

Thems were the daze! :downspin:

pooh
08-27-2007, 12:01 AM
For the record, I think Kevin O'Keeffe completely lost his credibility as a journalist when he bashed Popovich incessantly for not giving in to Vinny Del Negro's contract demands in before the 1999 season. For O'Keeffe, the Spurs beat became more about trying to find ways to make Popovich look bad than about actually analyzing what was going on with the team. In doing that, O'Keeffe actually made himself look foolish and Pop has come to look like a genius. I'll never find anything that Kevin O'Keeffe has to say about Pop's Spurs to be worth listening to.

So bashing Pop is offlimits? That's crazy! Everyone is fair game, if they can't take it then tough.

T Park
08-27-2007, 12:16 AM
So bashing Pop is offlimits? That's crazy! Everyone is fair game, if they can't take it then tough.

The guys won 4 rings and built a dynasty.

Something the pacers have only seen from afar a couple times.

FromWayDowntown
08-27-2007, 12:28 AM

That's not what I said. Bashing Pop by making valid points is one thing -- it happensere all the time and I think it's a healthy activity for Spurs fans and media. Bashing Pop by, for example, arguing that he was making a franchise-crippling mistake in refusing to give in to Vinny Del Negro is absurd.

Had O'Keeffe come up with some sort of valid argument to suggest that Pop was hurting the franchise, his reputation might have been saved. He picked a series of ridiculous battles, though.

I'm not saying that all else should view him as I do -- but I'm certainly not inclined to ever listen to anything O'Keeffe has to say about the Spurs.

Last Comic Standing
08-27-2007, 02:35 AM
Wow!!!

Other than "Lounge Lizard" Eddie Gossling or the San Antonio Iguanas front office who hired me for that ill fated gig, there are only about three people who would even remember that ugly page from my checkered past!

ROTFLMAO!!! :lol

Know what my pay was as "Leisure Suit Larry?"

All the beer I could drink! :toast :drunk

Thems were the daze! :downspin:

We know more than you think.....
Do you still have that red white and blue ABA basket ball you just happen to find during the Spurs practice back in 1975?

leemajors
08-27-2007, 03:49 AM
Hmmm....2 AGGIES talkin' ut football? That would be funny.
they don't talk ANY football, or really sports period. chad and kevin would talk aggie occasionally, and that was fine - they tended to cover sports. it's the "longhorn channel" of austin that covers every game. the show sucks ass, just like it did on 1530 the first time it failed.

samikeyp
08-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Good luck to them. :toast

tmtcsc
08-27-2007, 10:27 AM

Well said. :toast

T Park
09-07-2007, 02:59 PM
well said that its crazy for bashing pop and everyone is fair game?

angel_luv
09-07-2007, 03:05 PM
I loved it when they hosted the Spurs React Show after the game. I was greatly disappointed when they stopped.

I didn't often have the opportunity to listen to their prime time show, but enjoyed it when they did.

The Thompson Brothers are ( were? :( ) by far my favorite radio personalities.
I like Chancellor but am waiting for him to get his own show before I listen again.

alamo50
09-08-2007, 12:20 AM
It's a loss for San Antonio radio.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-08-2007, 02:50 PM
I hate that Clear Channel HR is replacing everyone with NY loving pukes. I wasn't particularly fond of Vexler because he was the worst kind of homer but at least he was OUR homer. Now i have to listen to two Jets Knicks, and Yankees fans in the afternoon cover the Spurs and Cowboys. Yankees fans make me sick. They are like people that bet the darkside or cheer for the house at blackjack.

Im usre the Thompson Bros replacements will be more of the same as it is readily apparent that someone from NY is taking a direct hand in the personell decisions and i will continue to say fuck WOAI and listen to NPR. At least I have the potential to learn something there.

Taco
09-20-2007, 03:15 PM
so does anyone know where the brothers Thompson went to?

Kori Ellis
09-20-2007, 03:18 PM
so does anyone know where the brothers Thompson went to?

Yes they moved to Florida to work that new EA Sports game show. Nate Lundy posted here about it. (Nate works there too.)

Kori Ellis
09-20-2007, 03:22 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77430

FuzzyLumpkins
09-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Well I must say switching to NPR has been working out remarkably. caught an interview of Greenspan that was hugely insightful considering the current lending market clusterfuck, heard General Clark (who FWIW has turned into an awful politician) discuss with a NSA type Iran as it pertains to security strategy, caught an anthropologist discussing the Pashtun Indians of mexico and how they are being forced into drug manufacturing, and much much more.

I tuned into WOAI to see what was up there and Joe Pags was doing some sort of best of the national police blotter and other idiotic nonsense. I dont think ill ever listen to WOAI again unless its to catch a game.

Oh and another thing, considering this town is predominantly hispanic by a pretty big margin, is there even a latino broadcaster there? Im not hospanic but that really strikes me as odd.

T Park
09-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Oh and another thing, considering this town is predominantly hispanic by a pretty big margin, is there even a latino broadcaster there? Im not hospanic but that really strikes me as odd.

Its obviously the evil zionist masters of clear channel's bidding.

SequSpur
09-20-2007, 11:53 PM
WGAF, turn the channel.

Taco
09-21-2007, 07:37 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77430

Yes they moved to Florida to work that new EA Sports game show. Nate Lundy posted here about it. (Nate works there too.)

Thanks K!!!!

Re-Animator
09-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Nice to see Mr.Lundy have their backs!

Smackie Chan
09-22-2007, 11:00 PM
I hope The T brothers do well and it's nice to see Nate back at work!

Good luck!
and I hope ST supports them 100%

Re-Animator
09-24-2007, 11:32 PM
If Nate plays it smart?
he will kiss Kori's ass and make her part of his project, and thus receiving all the ST traffic any site on the www would love to have. Let's see If Nate steps up to da plate!

my 2 cents

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Misc/re-animator.gif