PDA

View Full Version : Time Warner rant

blizz
08-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Fucking DVR is crapping out on me. 1hour recorded shows are pausing on playback and some only show 4 minutes worth of recorded time when it should be an hour. Then the other night, I heard a loud clang from the hard drive in the box. It's pretty safe to say I'm fucked. What pisses me off is all of the shows I've kept that I'm going to lose. There's no way to get the shows of or replace the hard drive. So TW is supposed to come out on Tuesday but because they use some fucked up moronic contractors, they can't bring me a fucking cable box. I have to go on my own time, stand in a fucked up line, to one of their offices to take back one of THEIR broken boxes when they're supposed to come to MY house anyways. Mother fuckers!!!!

missmyzte
08-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Electronics break, it's part of life. When I got my new HD Cable box, it was defective so I exchanged and now have no problems.

CuckingFunt
08-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Electronics break, it's part of life. When I got my new HD Cable box, it was defective so I exchanged and now have no problems.That attitude is entirely too rational for a rant thread.

T Park
08-25-2007, 07:28 PM
DirecTV.

blizz
08-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Electronics break, it's part of life. When I got my new HD Cable box, it was defective so I exchanged and now have no problems.
No shit?

leemajors
08-25-2007, 08:40 PM
DirecTV.
you'd still have to wait if your shit broke.

inconvertible
08-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Att U-verse

Beno Udrih
08-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Att U-verse
U-verse is bad ass.

Rhino17
08-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Fucking DVR is crapping out on me. 1hour recorded shows are pausing on playback and some only show 4 minutes worth of recorded time when it should be an hour. Then the other night, I heard a loud clang from the hard drive in the box. It's pretty safe to say I'm fucked. What pisses me off is all of the shows I've kept that I'm going to lose. There's no way to get the shows of or replace the hard drive. So TW is supposed to come out on Tuesday but because they use some fucked up moronic contractors, they can't bring me a fucking cable box. I have to go on my own time, stand in a fucked up line, to one of their offices to take back one of THEIR broken boxes when they're supposed to come to MY house anyways. Mother fuckers!!!!
I'm glad u brought this up. My dvr is fucked up too. It never records correctly and it just never works correctly. So I finally called them today and told them the problem. They said they just realized this problem today at 11am today (a load of crap cause this has been happening for months). They said they would try to download an upgrade after I told them I was not coming to there store to pick up a new one.

2Blonde
08-25-2007, 10:26 PM
When we had Time Warner we went through 3 or HDDVRs for the same kind of stuff. Our regular DVR in the other room had no problems though. I don't understand why they won't bring you a new box. Are they afraid the contractors are stealing them or something? They always brought new ones out to us. That sucks!

leemajors
08-25-2007, 11:04 PM
When we had Time Warner we went through 3 or HDDVRs for the same kind of stuff. Our regular DVR in the other room had no problems though. I don't understand why they won't bring you a new box. Are they afraid the contractors are stealing them or something? They always brought new ones out to us. That sucks!
they will, he just doesn't want to wait. i've had 2 dvr's in the last 5 years. the first i had for 4 years.

Beno Udrih
08-25-2007, 11:10 PM
I've gone through like 4 cable modems from time warner.

blizz
08-26-2007, 01:40 AM
they will, he just doesn't want to wait. i've had 2 dvr's in the last 5 years. the first i had for 4 years.
No, they won't. I don't mind waiting at all, they're coming out on Tuesday because of a "weak signal" that's been going on since I got cable here 2 years ago. That's a completely different mess that I just might be pissed off enough to go into later. Anyways, the cust service guy told me they have a new model (8300HDC)...and that the service tech might be able to bring one, but that it wouldn't be the new model. He said that if I wanted the new model, I had to go to one of their offices and pick one up.

leemajors
08-26-2007, 11:47 AM
No, they won't. I don't mind waiting at all, they're coming out on Tuesday because of a "weak signal" that's been going on since I got cable here 2 years ago. That's a completely different mess that I just might be pissed off enough to go into later. Anyways, the cust service guy told me they have a new model (8300HDC)...and that the service tech might be able to bring one, but that it wouldn't be the new model. He said that if I wanted the new model, I had to go to one of their offices and pick one up.
ahh, ok. the contractors bring them here in austin, but i always picked one up instead. the windows they give are too much.

exstatic
08-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Sounds like this should be a Scientific Atlanta rant. TWC doesn't make the boxes.

Oh, and for you U-verse fans? ATT is going to actively co-operate in detecting file sharing, and shutting you down. What a fucking shock, eh?

ATT butt pirates (http://www.freepress.net/news/24159)

leemajors
08-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Sounds like this should be a Scientific Atlanta rant. TWC doesn't make the boxes.

Oh, and for you U-verse fans? ATT is going to actively co-operate in detecting file sharing, and shutting you down. What a fucking shock, eh?

incredibly lame.

exstatic
08-26-2007, 12:23 PM
incredibly lame.
...but not a surprise for a corporation that co-operated in flouting the 4th amendment of the Constitution.

blizz
08-26-2007, 12:41 PM

Oh I don't like that the box went out but shit happens. It's the bullshit that they do in not "turning on" certain ports on these boxes and not supporting features that the boxes have and the fact that they haven't come up with a way for us to transfer recorded shows. It's also the fact that they will not bring me a new box. So...this indeed is a Time Warner rant. At any rate, even if the boxes were pieces of shit and SA made sub-par boxes...they're the ones that force us to use them.

leemajors
08-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Oh I don't like that the box went out but shit happens. It's the bullshit that they do in not "turning on" certain ports on these boxes and not supporting features that the boxes have and the fact that they haven't come up with a way for us to transfer recorded shows. It's also the fact that they will not bring me a new box. So...this indeed is a Time Warner rant. At any rate, even if the boxes were pieces of shit and SA made sub-par boxes...they're the ones that force us to use them.
it is their box they are renting you, they can do what they want with it. if i really wanted to transfer shows, i would get a TIVO. plus, you can download HDTV rips all over the place anyway. at least they have left my newsgroup access alone :spin

exstatic
08-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah, TiVo is the only box that will let you transfer shows, which is why I have it. I bought it a while back when you could purchase a lifetime subscription for like $300. I think it's about paid for itself already. Unfortunately, they don't sell the lifetime scrip anymore. I'm mildly interested in their lower tier HD box. It only costs $300, unlike their original offering which was $1000.

TWC won't let you transfer your shows, but then again, neither will Dish, Direct, Comcast, Charter, or anyone else.

The Red Hood
08-26-2007, 05:51 PM
I've gone through like 4 cable modems from time warner.

I hate my roadrunner internet modem it goes out for a week and when it does come back on it will only stay on for about 5 minutes :pctoss

leemajors
08-26-2007, 07:12 PM
I hate my roadrunner internet modem it goes out for a week and when it does come back on it will only stay on for about 5 minutes :pctoss
sounds like a problem with your line, not your modem.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-26-2007, 07:16 PM
It could be worse... you could have been sexually assaulted by your TWC installer.

sporter2
08-26-2007, 07:25 PM
With all of the complaints about Time Warner I'm surprised no one has complained about No NFL Network! What's up with that???

blizz
08-26-2007, 09:58 PM
sounds like a problem with your line, not your modem.
his tv would be all fucked up too then. it could most definitely be his modem...why he doesn't get a new one....that's the question.

blizz
08-26-2007, 10:06 PM
it is their box they are renting you, they can do what they want with it. if i really wanted to transfer shows, i would get a TIVO. plus, you can download HDTV rips all over the place anyway. at least they have left my newsgroup access alone :spin

Actually, they can't. By FCC regulations, all the ports on these boxes are supposed to be active and supported, but they aren't. You're supposed to be able to connect an extra SATA hard drive to some of these boxes so that you can increase the space you have available, but they will not support it. The box has a DVI port on it which should go to my tv just fine but when I called, they wouldn't support it. It's bullshit. I've downloaded shows before, but come on, looking for, finding, waiting for the download then having to either watch it on a small (compared to a tv) monitor or waiting to encode and burn it to dvd vs. pressing play on a remote...there's no comparison. I would just like what I pay good money for, to work properly and when it doesn't, I expect that every effort should be made to make it right. I don't think that happens enough anymore...and thus...the rant.

The Red Hood
08-27-2007, 01:55 AM
his tv would be all fucked up too then. it could most definitely be his modem...why he doesn't get a new one....that's the question.

Can I just pick up a new one

Beno Udrih
08-27-2007, 02:17 AM
Can I just pick up a new one
:lol Thats what I do. As long as I don't have to pay a dime, I'm fine with swapping them out.

The Red Hood
08-27-2007, 02:42 AM
:lol Thats what I do. As long as I don't have to pay a dime, I'm fine with swapping them out.

I guess thats what I will have to do then I have had the one I am using for a little less that 2 years and it is just constantly losing its connection to where the power and the pc light will be the only ones lit
I really don't have the time to wait for a tech to come and check out the problem

I would assume that I just swap out the modem and the black wire it came with?

Beno Udrih
08-27-2007, 03:11 AM
I guess thats what I will have to do then I have had the one I am using for a little less that 2 years and it is just constantly losing its connection to where the power and the pc light will be the only ones lit
I really don't have the time to wait for a tech to come and check out the problem

I would assume that I just swap out the modem and the black wire it came with?
Yeah just go to the nearest location with the modem and the power cord. Just tell the customer service rep that you spoke with a tech and they told you to go in and swap it.

leemajors
08-27-2007, 03:32 AM
no. cable can be fine with internet hosed, they aren't necessarily related - different bandwidths. your cable tv can be out, and roadrunner works fine. your roadrunner can be out,and digi cable work fine.

leemajors
08-27-2007, 03:33 AM
Yeah just go to the nearest location with the modem and the power cord. Just tell the customer service rep that you spoke with a tech and they told you to go in and swap it.
if there is a problem with the line to his house, that won't solve shit.

BacktoBasics
08-27-2007, 10:09 AM
I have the same issues. I'm on my third box. Now the hard drive makes a clicking sound and every six minutes the screen freezes for 9 seconds and goes back to live, do you know how fucking annoying that is during a boxing match or football game. I hate this shit and I'm tired of bringing broken boxes to be replaced.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-27-2007, 01:21 PM
DirecTV.No, thanks. I like to watch TV when it rains.

Beno Udrih
08-27-2007, 01:29 PM
:rolleyes WGAF what his problem is. He asked if he can swap it out, and I answered. Why don't you just go to his house and fix it your self since your so concerned.

blizz
08-27-2007, 07:32 PM
IF.....but replacing it would rule out the modem, at which point he could have a tech check the lines. there is only ONE line that goes to your house...it's the same line that provides the cable TV signal and the RoadRunner signal. you can get one and not the other because they are two separate signals. savvy?

leemajors
08-27-2007, 07:38 PM
IF.....but replacing it would rule out the modem, at which point he could have a tech check the lines. there is only ONE line that goes to your house...it's the same line that provides the cable TV signal and the RoadRunner signal. you can get one and not the other because they are two separate signals. savvy?
that's what i told you after you said this:

his tv would be all fucked up too then.
you can have a good roadrunner signal and a crappy cable signal, and vice versa. i had that for a while at this house - the low bandwidth channels were pixellated and choppy, then i made them replace the entire line from the pole to the house 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since.

blizz
08-27-2007, 10:04 PM
i had the same thing...had a new line run, new box new drops put in and i still have a low signal. they even supposedly replaced something at the pole and checked all the poles in the area....oh well.