PDA

View Full Version : I think Team USA can regain its supremacy

lefty
08-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Of course, they haven't met the big fishes yet, but having Jason Kidd and Kobe Bryant on the team is a big plus.

As much as I hate Kobe, I have to admit that he is a fantastic addition to that team; he's done a great job so far.

Regarding Jason Kidd, well, his passing has been great.

BronxCowboy
08-25-2007, 07:52 PM
We'll see when the olympics gets here.

mavsfan1000
08-25-2007, 08:14 PM
J. Kidd is a nice addition but don't know how effective he'll be 1 year older. Definitely not in his prime.

lefty
08-25-2007, 08:39 PM
J. Kidd is a nice addition but don't know how effective he'll be 1 year older. Definitely not in his prime.

I don't think it's gonna a problem ; I think he'll still gonna be able to run and pass.

JamStone
08-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Even when the Olympics arrive, the minutes distribution will keep Jason Kidd relatively healthy and fresh. Should he not have serious injury problems next summer, he'll be fine. Billups and Deron Williams and Chris Paul, whoever end up backing him up, will allow for Team USA not to have a big drop-off at point guard.

Obstructed_View
08-25-2007, 08:59 PM
The ability to hit outside shots is huge. As long as the officials don't decide they hate team USA we'll have a chance. Kobe looked so terrible in the scrimmage that I didn't figure we'd have a chance, but he's been really efficient and hasn't taken too many bad shots in the actual games. Everybody's playing smart team basketball. For now. It's easy when you are playing teams that are terrible.

lefty
08-25-2007, 09:12 PM
The ability to hit outside shots is huge. As long as the officials don't decide they hate team USA we'll have a chance. Kobe looked so terrible in the scrimmage that I didn't figure we'd have a chance, but he's been really efficient and hasn't taken too many bad shots in the actual games. Everybody's playing smart team basketball. For now. It's easy when you are playing teams that are terrible.

Spot on. Your avatar is spot on as well. :toast

DOMINATOR
08-25-2007, 10:14 PM
kidd playing with kobe shows how dumb the lakers are for not giving up bynum for kidd.

lefty
08-25-2007, 10:18 PM
kidd playing with kobe shows how dumb the lakers are for not giving up bynum for kidd.

It doesn't mean it would have worked well in L.A ; Team USA is far better than the Lakers (Duh!), they are rolling, have a great momentum going on, and a good overall team chemistry

JamStone
08-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Exactly. Kidd with Kobe PLUS LeBron, Carmelo, Dwight Howard, Amare, Michael Redd etc ... is not the same as Kidd with Kobe and Luke Walton and Maurice Evans and Brian Cook.

Kamnik
08-26-2007, 04:00 AM
Since last time one thing really changed for the better....

You got Jason Kidd. A floor general.

But one thing is the same.

An incompetent head coach.

Kobe Bryant isnt that much of an addition in my opinion when there are a bunch of "superstars" already there.

Obstructed_View
08-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Let's see how they play as a team when the resentment starts to overflow at how many shots Carmelo is getting. It will be like the olympics when Carlos Boozer decided that he had just as much right to be in the low post as Tim Duncan.

duncan228
08-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Let's see how they play as a team when the resentment starts to overflow at how many shots Carmelo is getting. It will be like the olympics when Carlos Boozer decided that he had just as much right to be in the low post as Tim Duncan.

I agree.

There's a lot of room for resentment to flow.

I don't like NBA players who are of the "me first, team second" attitude, but I believe if you're good enough to be in the NBA you must have some level of ego. As this USA team plays together more, those egos will simmer to the surface. Then we'll see exactly how well they can play together as a team.

Oh...and that's one of the many reasons I'm a Duncan fan. He has to have some kind of ego, he can't be that good, that decorated, and not.
But I never see it from him. I respect that.

TheNextGen
08-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Kobe Bryant isnt that much of an addition in my opinion when there are a bunch of "superstars" already there.

I would have to disagree. Kobe's defense is definately top notch compared to the other "superstars".

mardigan
08-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Redd and Millers shooting has been huge.
The US team has never had a player on it like Kidd that can contribute immensely in a game without taking a shot.
Kobe has been amazing to watch, guy does everything.
I am really becoming a Mello fan, its easy to forget how awazing this guy is.
Its been funny watching the bigs faces on the other teams once they get a good look at Dwight Howard.
Coach K is a great coach to have for our US team.

Medvedenko
08-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Yeah, this team is special...you add Wade and Bosh to this team next year, and watch out. The thing is...who do you let go from this team...redd is shooting lights out...maybe miller, but he's still going to be a threat. It's all going to come down to injuries next summer.

tlongII
08-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I think they should add Oden next year. He's going to be a special player.

ChumpDumper
08-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Bring back the college players.

Medvedenko
08-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Why bring back the college players...so they can get dominated by Pro's from the other countries....It should be the best of the best.

ChumpDumper
08-27-2007, 01:28 PM
It should be amateurs.

Medvedenko
08-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Amateurs....then it should be amateurs for every team. The olmpics should be the best of the best....all other events showcase this.

ChumpDumper
08-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Amateurs....then it should be amateurs for every team.Yes.
The olmpics should be the best of the best....all other events showcase this.Untrue, although pros are showing up more and more because of the money that can be made by the IOC.

E20
08-27-2007, 01:47 PM
It was sweet seeing Lebron running point.

Medvedenko
08-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Best of the Best....all sports all events. That's what it's all about......

ChumpDumper
08-27-2007, 02:34 PM
It's all about money.

duncan228
08-27-2007, 02:38 PM
It's all about money.

Isn't most everything?

ChumpDumper
08-27-2007, 02:43 PM
The IOC is more blatant than most. It's like its own country.

MONTENEGRINO
08-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Amateurs....then it should be amateurs for every team. The olmpics should be the best of the best....all other events showcase this.
I agree. It must be the best of the best. :toast

samikeyp
08-27-2007, 10:20 PM
The US team has never had a player on it like Kidd that can contribute immensely in a game without taking a shot.

Magic Johnson 1992
Oscar Robertson 1960

mardigan
08-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Magic Johnson 1992
Oscar Robertson 1960
I bet niether one of them took only one shot through 4 games

LongBall
08-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Kobe is playing great defense, hes the best player on USA.

mavs>spurs2
08-28-2007, 02:08 AM
There's no more excuses for the U.S. They need to cut the shit and play to their potential, they're the best of the best, players of all these other countries aspire to be like them. I know teamwork is a huge part of it, but for god sakes look at the difference in talent. And it's not like these guys haven't had SOME time to gel. We can't get embarassed again this year or usa basketball will be forever tarnished.

Having Kidd really helps, personally I think he's one of the most underrated players of all time. IMO he is a top 3 all time point guard along with Magic and Oscar Robertson. I'm not a huge fan of Kobe, but he is the best player in the world and he's really bringing alot to the table stepping up his d and playing unselfishly. The only regret I have is that our big men are probably our weakest area, I think we could have done better than Tyson Chandler and Dwight is still young and growing better. It's a shame Shaq didn't play all those years when he was in his prime, Duncan's not playing this go round and neither is KG.

samikeyp
08-28-2007, 06:58 AM
I bet niether one of them took only one shot through 4 games

Probably not but they were certainly capable of contributing significantly without shooting at all.