PDA

View Full Version : How old were your kids when you stopped making their bed?

duncan228
08-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Or how old were you when your parents stopped making yours?

I seem to suffer from the "Do too much for my kids" syndrome.

My oldest has a full time job and I think it's nice for him to come home to a made bed if he didn't have time to make it himself.

For my youngest I do it during the school year.

What age do you just shut the door and let them deal with it? (I do shut the door on the mess all over their rooms, it's just the bed making I still find myself doing.)

Your thoughts?

Shelly
08-26-2007, 09:39 AM
I rarely make my bed (I go in spurts), so I can't be expected to make theirs! :lol

desflood
08-26-2007, 09:41 AM
On the rare occasions my boys' beds are made (ha ha) they do it themselves. They're five and seven.

ALVAREZ6
08-26-2007, 09:48 AM
That's some bullshit, my parents never make my bed.

I never make my bed though, fuck it.

mrsmaalox
08-26-2007, 10:28 AM
I make my bed every day mainly because we have a dog and a cat that are very opportunistic! I've been able to get my kids to get their beds made about 50% of the time this summer, but once school starts
I'll end up doing it myself!

jman3000
08-26-2007, 10:51 AM
i never got the fuss over parents wanting the beds made... ok it's for appearance or whatever... but if youre not having company over... fuck it... why waste time doing something that will be undone in a few hours and go actually enjoy that time doing something you like?

Shelly
08-26-2007, 11:18 AM
i never got the fuss over parents wanting the beds made... ok it's for appearance or whatever... but if youre not having company over... fuck it... why waste time doing something that will be undone in a few hours and go actually enjoy that time doing something you like?

All our bedrooms are upstairs, which is one reason I'm not that anal about it. If I lived in a one story, I'm sure the beds would be made.

SequSpur
08-26-2007, 11:18 AM
wife's repsonsibility

ALVAREZ6
08-26-2007, 11:50 AM
wife's repsonsibility:tu

Choppa Style Chop Chop Choppa Style

duncan228
08-26-2007, 12:22 PM

It's not about appearances to me.

I think it's just more comfortable to get in a bed that's made rather than have to fight to straighten the covers after a long day.

And it takes one minute.

duncan228
08-26-2007, 12:23 PM
wife's repsonsibility

I am the wife/mother so I guess that's why I'm the one asking! :lol

And I'm so glad my husband has a different opinion, he's made our bed at least as much as I have.

jman3000
08-26-2007, 12:26 PM
i think it's more uncomfortable to get into a made bed... if it's too tight you have to make a hassle to get the sheets untucked and to get under them. i sleep diagonally so my sheets end up fucked no matter what.

Fillmoe_
08-26-2007, 12:32 PM
my mom used to make me do that shit when i was like 5 years old...

mrsmaalox
08-26-2007, 01:11 PM
It's not about appearances to me.

I think it's just more comfortable to get in a bed that's made rather than have to fight to straighten the covers after a long day.

And it takes one minute.
I agree; I think a made bed feels "fresher" to climb into. With my kids rooms, although they are all upstairs, it just seems like the room is a little neater if the bed is made when I close the door on all the other mess. It's all for myself I guess.

duncan228
08-26-2007, 01:55 PM
I agree; I think a made bed feels "fresher" to climb into. With my kids rooms, although they are all upstairs, it just seems like the room is a little neater if the bed is made when I close the door on all the other mess. It's all for myself I guess.

I guess that's me too.

Same thing, their rooms are upstairs, I shut the doors when the mess is beyond my tolerence level.

But I still make their beds sometimes, like you said it's neater. And nicer to climb into.

And they both seem to appreciate it when I do it. They never say anything when I don't but they always say thanks when I do.

It goes by so fast. Maybe a part of me likes that I still can make their bed. All too soon they'll be out on their own and the rooms will be empty. And those beds will be made forever.

CuckingFunt
08-26-2007, 02:22 PM
I always made my own bed.

But not because I was told to. I was (am) just a bit of an OCD child.

duncan228
08-26-2007, 02:26 PM
I was (am) just a bit of an OCD child.

Sometimes that can be a good thing.

Sometimes not. :lol

ploto
08-26-2007, 03:26 PM
I make the beds every day because I like them that way. I learned long ago not to expect others to perform to the same level of neatness that I like-- so if I want it that way, I do it. My house is always neat; poeple tell me it looks like no one lives there.

ObiwanGinobili
08-26-2007, 03:40 PM
My girls are 1 and 3 - they share a full sized platform mattress (no innerspring) on the floor.
and they make thier bed themselves.
ofcourse, their is not much to it. the fitted sheet stays put of course, and thier is no top sheet - just thier personal blankets which they usually lay out in the exact middle of the bed an put their baby dolls on.

I think they make thier bed more than I make my own. :lol
I have a comforter that stays permantly folded onteh bench at the end of the bed, and we just sleep in the flannel sheets. So even tho I only have to straighten a sheet in the morning - I rarely do.

J.T.
08-26-2007, 04:44 PM
The way I always felt about making my bed, and tried to pitch to my mother but she never took my side, was that if I'm going to sleep in the same bed the next night and fuck it up all over again, what's the point of making it in the first place?

These days I live alone, and I pass out more than I fall asleep, so I don't really care. I'm sure my mother still wouldn't approve.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-26-2007, 05:07 PM
my parents stopped cleaning my room when I was 11. I've cleaned my room, and made my bed ever since then.

Mister Sinister
08-26-2007, 05:11 PM
My parents don't make me make my bed anymore, unless we have company coming over. I explained to them that the reason I didn't make it was because I liked to be able to go up to bed at night, click my bedside lamp off, and just throw the covers over myself without having to un-make a made bed. Same with cleaning my room...unless it's really bad, or we have company....I dunno. My mom's kind of a neat freak, but as long as you can walk through my room, I call that good enough.

mrsmaalox
08-26-2007, 06:03 PM
My mom's kind of a neat freak, but as long as you can walk through my room, I call that good enough.

That's good enough for my kids too. If they leave me a clear path to the closet, I'm okay with it.

Mister Sinister
08-26-2007, 06:04 PM
That's good enough for my kids too. If they leave me a clear path to the closet, I'm okay with it.
Yeah. I just need to be able to get to my closet, my bed, and my desk if I have Fate (Yeah, I named my laptop) up there.

duncan228
08-26-2007, 06:04 PM
The clear path on the floor matters to me. I like not tripping if I need to go in there.

E20
08-26-2007, 06:06 PM
I sleep on the floor, so there is no need.

duncan228
08-26-2007, 06:13 PM
The way I always felt about making my bed, and tried to pitch to my mother but she never took my side, was that if I'm going to sleep in the same bed the next night and fuck it up all over again, what's the point of making it in the first place?

My kids seem to like it when I do it and not care if I don't. So I guess we've got a good mix going on.

It's not something that's ever been an issue, as in a fight, between us.

My original thought was maybe I do too much for them, one of those things being making their beds now and then. They do their share of chores around the house without much griping, that's where I'd have a problem if they didn't help. Part of living in the same house is carrying your share of the chores.

Their rooms I respect as their space, shutting the door if it's beyond my liking. As long as there's no health hazards they can be slobs in their rooms.

But I do like to surprise them with the made bed.

Mister Sinister
08-26-2007, 06:21 PM
My kids seem to like it when I do it and not care if I don't. So I guess we've got a good mix going on.

It's not something that's ever been an issue, as in a fight, between us.

My original thought was maybe I do too much for them, one of those things being making their beds now and then. They do their share of chores around the house without much griping, that's where I'd have a problem if they didn't help. Part of living in the same house is carrying your share of the chores.

Their rooms I respect as their space, shutting the door if it's beyond my liking. As long as there's no health hazards they can be slobs in their rooms.

But I do like to surprise them with the made bed.
My parents are the same....speak of the devil. I have to go mow the front yard.

Mister Sinister
08-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Behold, I return, sweaty, shirtless (There went sleep for all of you! Ha ha!), and pissed at my mother.

Dex
08-26-2007, 07:21 PM
My parents never made my bed. They bought it from the bed store.

J.T.
08-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Yeah. I just need to be able to get to my closet, my bed, and my desk if I have Fate (Yeah, I named my laptop) up there.

You named your laptop "Fate"?