PDA

View Full Version : Oakley says he can help the Cavs

duncan228
08-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Oh my.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/118811892185000.xml&coll=2

Oakley says he can help the Cavs

Was the difference between the Cavaliers losing in the NBA Finals to the San Antonio Spurs and possibly winning it all sitting in his living room watching the vivid display on his flat screen television?

Charles Oakley - John Hay High School graduate, 19-year NBA veteran and one of the last enforcers - said he could have been the deciding factor in that championship series. He's so convinced that he wants to make a return to the NBA at the age of 43.

"I'd make the Cavs better and I told them that a long time ago," said Oakley, who hasn't changed from his playing weight of 245 pounds. "My presence and teaching [the players] how to play better defense would make a difference in that team."

Oakley, a 6-9 power forward and center, said the Cavs could have used his knowledge and skills in the finals against the Spurs, who dominated the inside with Tim Duncan and with uncontested drives by guard Tony Parker. The no-nonsense Oakley, rumored to have smacked around a few players off the court, would not have any of that.

"They lost to San Antonio because guys didn't know the next step on defense," said Oakley, whom the Cavs drafted in 1985. "The Cavs are not a good help defensive team. . . . When I come back, I'm going to bring an attitude. I'm not coming back just to be on a team. I'm going to come back and go all out."

Johnny Clark, who was the assistant player development/shooting coach when Oakley was with the Toronto Raptors, said LeBron James would benefit from Oakley's presence just as Vince Carter did several years ago. Back then, Carter was fearless when he went inside for monster dunks. Carter knew who had his back if he was on the other end of a hard foul.

"Other teams need to know that a superstar has a teammate who will step up in their chest if the superstar gets knocked down or receives a hard foul," Clark said. "LeBron would definitely have that with Oakley as a teammate."

An Oakley comeback has to be more than just knocking someone's teeth out if James gets fouled. An Oakley comeback must mean he can still play. He hasn't played in the NBA since he played seven games with the Houston Rockets during the 2003-04 season.

Oakley said he is still in great shape. "I run three miles per day, lift weights, take shots in the gym and I still play," Oakley said. "Everyone's going to get old, it just comes down to how did you take care of your body and I've taken care of myself. I guarantee, if I get into someone's training camp, I'll end camp as one of the top eight players. It just comes down to if you want to deal with me."

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Jesus what's with people coming out of retirement? All of the people who are trying to come back are all gonna be scrubs now anyways.

ShoogarBear
08-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Dunno if Oakley can still play or not, but I believe him when he says he's still in shape. He's definitely good for messing up a guy driving the lane.

ChumpDumper
08-26-2007, 04:34 PM
It just comes down to if you want to deal with me.No one wants to deal with you.

Stay retired.

mavs>spurs2
08-26-2007, 04:36 PM
I think the NBA is missing tough hard nosed defensive players like Oakley, but bringing back 45 year old retired players isn't going to help.

Lp26
08-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Didn't he say he could help the Magic like a week ago?

He's definately pimping himself out.

Thunder Dan
08-26-2007, 09:13 PM
2008 Championship baby! look out NBA

MajorMike
08-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Well, I dunno if he could HELP them, but after the pathetic showing in the Finals he certainly couldn't HURT them.

MrChug
08-27-2007, 10:28 AM
That's Uncle Rico. Dude's still living in 1982.

Nobody wants you Charles...f/o and die.

monosylab1k
08-27-2007, 10:33 AM
steroids