PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker top 3 MVP candidate for '07-08

RC's Boss
08-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Armed with driving ability, mid-range game, 3 pt shooting, and the ability to stay in front of his man on D.... Be afraid bitches, be very fucking afraid :hungry: :soapbox: :worthy: :ihit

jaffies
08-26-2007, 11:46 PM
top 8-10

TDMVPDPOY
08-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Unless he avgs 25ppg 7apg 5rpg 2spg <<< even kobe cant win mvp with those type of stats, what makes you think tp going to win mvp...

but i dont see him winning it since duncan will win it MVP/DPOY!!!!

MrChug
08-26-2007, 11:48 PM
I really hope you're right...if he can do 22 ppg and 6+ apg with the Spurs at 57+ wins? Yes.

RC's Boss
08-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Unless he avgs 25ppg 7apg 5rpg 2spg <<< even kobe cant win mvp with those type of stats, what makes you think tp going to win mvp...

but i dont see him winning it since duncan will win it MVP/DPOY!!!!
Kobe = best individual talent.... Tony + best team = championship contending

RC's Boss
08-26-2007, 11:50 PM
I would like to see Tim win DPOY

Mister Sinister
08-26-2007, 11:51 PM
He won't get mentioned because he's a Spur, says I.

ducks
08-26-2007, 11:51 PM
has there every been a team in the nba that has 2 mvp candiates on the same team?

if tp can hit the three this year he would be in the top ten
I like tp but he would have to play better to get it

ShoogarBear
08-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Not a chance.

jaffies
08-26-2007, 11:57 PM
has there every been a team in the nba that has 2 mvp candiates on the same team?

most recent
2002 and 2003 O'neal and Kobe in the top 5 in voting
edit: both in top 6 for 2004.

not that I agree with that shit.

JamStone
08-27-2007, 12:02 AM

How about three: Wilt, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, 1969-70 Lakers

SequSpur
08-27-2007, 12:07 AM
umm.... i've been saying this for years... welcome to the revolution.

RC's Boss
08-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Not a chance.
Put your money where your mouth is MOFO! Tony is gonna lay waste to all defensive schemes this year.... Save the thread and eat crow in May my friend :smokin

RC's Boss
08-27-2007, 12:21 AM
umm.... welcome to the revolution.
This time, it shall be televised!

FromWayDowntown
08-27-2007, 12:21 AM
I'd be pleasantly surprised if Tony Parker made Third Team All-NBA in 2007-08.

IMO, it's beyond ridiculous to think that he'll win the MVP award.

RC's Boss
08-27-2007, 12:24 AM
I'd be pleasantly surprised if Tony Parker made Third Team All-NBA in 2007-08.

IMO, it's beyond ridiculous to think that he'll win the MVP award.
Kiss my ass and chew on your own skid marks.

Medvedenko
08-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Tony's good...but I believe he'll still be behind Nash and Kidd as the premier point guards...

spursfan09
08-27-2007, 12:41 AM
Nah TD is the MVP, but I believe there is a possibility TP will be mentioned for it.

ShoogarBear
08-27-2007, 12:57 AM
Put your money where your mouth is MOFO! Tony is gonna lay waste to all defensive schemes this year.... Save the thread and eat crow in May my friend :smokinOkay, top 3 in the MVP voting? What do you want to bet? :hungry:

FromWayDowntown
08-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Kiss my ass and chew on your own skid marks.

Always great to have pleasant conversation with reasonable posters.

RC's Boss
08-27-2007, 01:11 AM
:lol
Always great to have pleasant conversation with reasonable posters.

RC's Boss
08-27-2007, 01:13 AM
Okay, top 3 in the MVP voting? What do you want to bet? :hungry:
A liter of Kettle One :drunk and an ounce of fine hydroponics :smokin

saporvida
08-27-2007, 01:15 AM
A liter of Kettle One :drunk and an ounce of fine hydroponics :smokin

did someone say... dro? :king

ShoogarBear
08-27-2007, 01:16 AM
A liter of Kettle One :drunk and an ounce of fine hydroponics :smokinLooks like you were already indulging when you started this thread.

Fabbs
08-27-2007, 01:21 AM
Past 10 years the MVP has been on the Championship team about 2-8, with one being MJ and the other Fatquile the offensive shove off artist.

Based on that i for one hope he does not get it. Unless he goes 30/10/6 and the Spurs title.

ShoogarBear
08-27-2007, 01:23 AM
Past 10 years the MVP has been on the Championship team about 2-8, with one being MJ and the other Fatquile the offensive shove off artist.

Based on that i for one hope he does not get it. Unless he goes 30/10/6 and the Spurs title.Hmm, I think you may be forgetting one.

RC's Boss
08-27-2007, 01:29 AM
Hmm, I think you may be forgetting one.
Dim Tuncan?

romain.star
08-27-2007, 04:39 AM
the expectations towards Tony are far too high for next year... I'll be happy if he's an all star again... i foresee a great-amazing season (the last one) for manu...

mathbzh
08-27-2007, 04:46 AM
I am a big TP fan... but TP for MVP candidate is a joke (unless he shows huge progress).
He is not the best player in the team (even if I still believe he deserved his Finals MVP award) how could he be a MVP candidate.

mathbzh
08-27-2007, 04:48 AM
i foresee a great-amazing season (the last one) for manu...
Why the last one? If he manage to stay healthy Manu still has a bunch of great seasons in his legs.

romain.star
08-27-2007, 04:56 AM
yeah but i think he'll have his best season ever next year and then slowly go downhill... can't tell you why, just a feeling

Texas_Ranger
08-27-2007, 05:26 AM
Top 3? No way. Top 15 maybe.

JPB
08-27-2007, 05:36 AM
1. This kid, a starter ? No way !

2. I'd be happy if he ever reaches 15-16 pts 4-5 ass per game !

3. I like this kid but you have to choose J-Kidd !

4. TP will never be an allstar !

5. Frenchy can't get it to the rim but he can't shoot !

5. Tony is so unclutch ! Let him do his stuff the first 3 quarters and Manu save the day in the fourth !

6. Tony, possible MVP if Spurs in finals ? Nah !

7. TP, 2007-2008 MVP ? What a joke !

Alain
08-27-2007, 06:43 AM
It's amazing how some people here still can't see the curve.

mathbzh
08-27-2007, 07:15 AM
7. TP, 2008-2009 MVP ? What a joke !

The thread is about 2007-2008. Tony is not (yet?) on the MVP level.
As a PG he will need to improve is assist numbers to be considered as a legitimate MVP. In a Nash-Parker comparison for the MVP, Nash would receive most votes in a heartbeat. Moreover Pop is not the kind of coach to fight for a 60+ season. Once again the Spurs should not have the best record.
Finally everybody knows the Spurs have Duncan so Tony will never receive all the credits if the Spurs have a huge regular season.

Alain
08-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if we could end once for all that assists number comparison thing?
In SA, Nash would not have more than 8 assists/game.

mathbzh
08-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if we could end once for all that assists number comparison thing?
In SA, Nash would not have more than 8 assists/game.
I agree with you (Nash numbers didn't looked that good in Dallas).
But we are talking about MVP candidates. To be a MVP you need flashy statistics (even if you can't spell defense). Tony didn't improve his assists numbers since he entered the league. I believe he improved much as a playmaker. But in a MVP discussion he will always be ranked behind Nash.
Nash was two time MVP because he is supposed to make his teammates better.
Unfortunately for Tony, the one Spurs who is supposed to make his teammates better is Duncan.

Alain
08-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Duncan is the better player, no debate.
But it's about regular season, and there are so many other factors in the mix than pure greatness.
As long as the voters think they should consider at least one player per top teams, TP could come out (and I think they are tired to vote for the unmarketable, non media friendly Duncan).
Most, it could happen simply because he wants it to.

JPB
08-27-2007, 08:57 AM

Corrected.

mathbzh
08-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Corrected.
Actually I used the word "joke" because I already see a Tony bashing thread coming. The thread looked like a call to all Tony bashers on this forum.
I stop the debate here.
(I don't really care who is the MVP)

JPB
08-27-2007, 09:09 AM
As a PG he will need to improve is assist numbers to be considered as a legitimate MVP. In a Nash-Parker comparison for the MVP, Nash would receive most votes in a heartbeat. Moreover Pop is not the kind of coach to fight for a 60+ season. Once again the Spurs should not have the best record.

You're talking about last year TP.
Something happened in him during and after the last finals. You can see it, even it's with french NT.

Finally everybody knows the Spurs have Duncan so Tony will never receive all the credits if the Spurs have a huge regular season

So were saying people for the finals MVP's title...

romain.star
08-27-2007, 09:10 AM
tony was great during the NBA Finals but he played a one leg Hugues and a not so experienced Gibson...
I foresee a lot of frustration-anger among those who think that he can be a MVP candidate in 08... don't get me wrong, i'm sure he'll improve his jump shot and (if he stays healthy), he'll be up there with the greatest........ in 2009, 2010??
this thread is all about premature ejaculation

JPB
08-27-2007, 09:13 AM
this thread is all about premature ejaculation

Tony is all about prematurity.

FromWayDowntown
08-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Parker is going to have to up his scoring well beyond 20 ppg AND increase his assists to somewhere in the 10 apg range to have any chance at winning MVP. There's a huge, HUGE difference between being an All-Star and being a league MVP. To get into the latter group, you either have to have dominant statistics and/or be the catalyst in a team having an unexpected renaissance.

Parker seemingly won't get the benefit of his team having a surprisingly successful regular season, since the Spurs will surprise people only if they don't come close to winning 60 games. Think about this: in Parker's best statistical season, 2005-06, he finished 9th in the voting, and was 535 voting points short (of 1250 total points available) from being in the top 3. In 2006-07, which some might say was his best all-around season to date, Parker finished 15th in the MVP voting, but was 520 voting points short (of 1290 total points available) of being in the top 3. In those seasons, he was that short of being in the top 3 while averaging 18+ ppg and nearly 6 apg. In 2006-07, there were only 4 players who made the top 18 in MVP voting while averaging less than 20 ppg (Nash, Shaq, Billups, Parker). Of those guys, Nash averaged 11+ apg, Shaq has a long history and his team's record improved significantly when he returned, and Billups averaged almost 1.5 more assist per game than Parker did -- at that, Billups received exactly 3 more voting points than Parker did. Meanwhile, players like Anthony and Wade were stuck at the bottom of the MVP voting for having their seasons interrupted by suspensions and injuries.

To take the step into being a legitimate MVP candidate and not a well-meaning afterthought of some voters who are looking to give interesting votes, he'll have to increase his numbers substantially. I still think that the better goal for 2007-08 is to make an All-NBA team; that will be tough enough, since Parker has never been deemed to be among the best 6 guards in the league.

The only other possibility for Parker to get himself truly into the MVP conversation, I think, is for him to lead the Spurs to a gaudy record with Duncan missing a significant part of the season. I'm a big Parker fan, but I'd prefer that he not have a chance to win an MVP award on that basis.

da_suns_fan__
08-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Stupid thread....Parker is turnover prone and doesn't even get the ball with the game on the line (that would be Duncan OR Ginobili).

mardigan
08-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Stupid thread....Parker is turnover prone and doesn't even get the ball with the game on the line (that would be Duncan OR Ginobili).
Nash-3.8 turnovers a game
Parker-2.48

mathbzh
08-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Parker-2.48
Duncan 2.80
Kobe 3.3
Lebron 3.2
Arenas 3.2
Kidd 2.7

samikeyp
08-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Parker-2.48

:tu

Alain
08-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Parker is going to have to up his scoring well beyond 20 ppg
He will

AND increase his assists to somewhere in the 10 apg range
Even stockton in his prime playing 48mpg could not do that in SA, we know it, voters should know it to

There's a huge, HUGE difference between being an All-Star and being a league MVP
There's a huge difference between being a 19yo unknown european pg and a final's MVP

To get into the latter group, you either have to have dominant statistics and/or be the catalyst in a team having an unexpected renaissance
Or being considered the most valuable regular season player of the best team while TD is coasting a little bit

I still think that the better goal for 2007-08 is to make an All-NBA team
Absolutely, then best scorer in 2009 and MVP in 2010. It's all in the plan.

And no, I'm no Parker's church devot. I don't really like his personality and I think he's been very lucky to play for the best pro sports franchise with the best player in the game and a great coach.
But he has 'it'. The thing Presti saw first. The thing we all saw in his eyes after that 3pt shot in the third quarter of final's game 4.

SpursWillOwn
08-27-2007, 10:49 AM
i really hope this thread would be bumped!

FromWayDowntown
08-27-2007, 11:04 AM
He will

Curiously, I think that's realistic.

Even stockton in his prime playing 48mpg could not do that in SA, we know it, voters should know it to

That's absurd. Voters never give sway to players because their teams play slow-down styles or because a point guard is not a true distributor in the scheme. I'd argue, though, that if Stockton in his prime was playing in San Antonio, the system would be tweaked to exploit his playmaking and distribution abilities and he'd easily be a 10+ apg guy. Pop won't alter the offense to make his point guard a true distributor because he knows that: (1) Parker is at his best when he's attacking and scoring; and (2) trying to force Parker into being a distributor would be counter-productive.

There's a huge difference between being a 19yo unknown european pg and a final's MVP

Parker hasn't been a 19 year-old unknown European point guard for at least 5 years. Being a Finals MVP is nice, but that doesn't automatically make one a candidate to win the next year's MVP award. Ask Cedric Maxwell about that sometime.

Or being considered the most valuable regular season player of the best team while TD is coasting a little bit

Tony was that in 2005-06, and it got him to 1% of the MVP vote that season. Plus, I suspect that the Spurs won't be the best team in the 2007-08 regular season.

Absolutely, then best scorer in 2009 and MVP in 2010. It's all in the plan.

I'll reserve judgment about being MVP in 2010, but I have very little doubt that Parker WILL NOT be the league's best scorer in 2009.

Let's make another All-Star team and strive to be Third Team All-NBA for now.

And no, I'm no Parker's church devot. I don't really like his personality and I think he's been very lucky to play for the best pro sports franchise with the best player in the game and a great coach.
But he has 'it'. The thing Presti saw first. The thing we all saw in his eyes after that 3pt shot in the third quarter of final's game 4.

Parker is undoubtedly a competitor and has become a much better player because he's been willing to learn the game from those around him while working his ass off to improve things that need improvement. With that said, having that sort of "it" does not make one a true MVP candidate. Parker's reputation has been enhanced because he had a wonderful playoff run in 2007 and was the most proficient scorer on the floor during the Finals. That said, the Spurs don't win that championship without Duncan and for as long as Duncan is in San Antonio, Parker won't be seen as the team's leader or the person most responsible for its success. Until he's either of those things, he's not a top 3 MVP candidate, IMO.

He won't be either of those things until Tim Duncan is done, and once Duncan is done, this era of such fabulous success will come to a screeching halt.

mardigan
08-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Parker will never be the leagues top scorer. There are far to many guys in the league with much worse teams that can take way more shots than Tony will ever be able to. And even if he could shoot as much as he wanted, I still dont think he would ever be able to score more than the excellent scorers we have in the league right now

ducks
08-27-2007, 11:10 AM
who has won the award last leading the league with most points scored?

I doubt tp wins it but he does not have to lead the league in scoring to do so

2centsworth
08-27-2007, 11:19 AM

Kobe & Shaq, Amare & Nash, Snaq and Wade recently. As fas as ever, that list is endless.

ducks
08-27-2007, 11:32 AM
amare was not
shaq was not

2centsworth
08-27-2007, 12:59 PM
amare was not
shaq was notyes they were. Your man crush for TP is weird. just did a quick search. Here's a link with several players from the same team getting MVP votes.

http://www.nba.com/news/nash_mvp_050508.html

urunobili
08-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Top 25 i would guess

stéphane
08-27-2007, 01:10 PM
I really agree with FWD when he says that another all star and a 3rd all NBA woul be already nice.
What I would like to see about Tony is some of the defense he gaves us in the last playoff all the time. He's a really good scorer now, he progresses every year in managing his energy to keep focus late in the game and fucks less plays being blind. So some more effort and good D all season could be rewarded with an all NBA team. And honestly making it with the team the spurs have right now is awesome.

Fabbs
08-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Hmm, I think you may be forgetting one.
Timmy Dunkar in 2003.

Including Karl Malones joke selection over MJ in 1996-7, the past 11 years have been 3-8 for MVP being on Champ team.

Tony, we don't care if you get it.
Go for that 4 ring in 6 years.

RC's Boss
08-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Just think of this way for Tony to be a top 3 mvp candidate if you could choose any top 3 players in the NBA right now to start a franchise would Tony be one of them?

He is getting better but He wasn't even the MVP in the entire Playoffs Duncan was. Tony was the MVp for 4 games against the worst competition the Spurs played in the entire playoffs.

He is a star on on the Spurs while Duncan is a superstar!
So, you're saying you would choose Nash as a top 3 player to build a franchise with :rolleyes If you don't think he'll be MVP material, that's your opinion, but that argument about inferior comp. is whack. I guess Shaq shouldn't have gotten it when they swept NJ????

FromWayDowntown
08-27-2007, 04:02 PM
So, you're saying you would choose Nash as a top 3 player to build a franchise with :rolleyes If you don't think he'll be MVP material, that's your opinion, but that argument about inferior comp. is whack. I guess Shaq shouldn't have gotten it when they swept NJ????

I don't think the inferiority of the competition means that the best player on the winning team shouldn't be MVP. I think, though, the argument that Tony Parker faced lesser competition in the Finals than Tim Duncan did is probably correct. And it stands to reason that Parker would look really good against inferior competition while Duncan would struggle a bit as the Cavs focused their defense on him. But I also think its absolutely correct that Duncan was the Spurs' playoff MVP for 2007, even if Parker won the Finals MVP trophy.

2centsworth
08-27-2007, 04:12 PM
I don't think the inferiority of the competition means that the best player on the winning team shouldn't be MVP. I think, though, the argument that Tony Parker faced lesser competition in the Finals than Tim Duncan did is probably correct. And it stands to reason that Parker would look really good against inferior competition while Duncan would struggle a bit as the Cavs focused their defense on him. But I also think its absolutely correct that Duncan was the Spurs' playoff MVP for 2007, even if Parker won the Finals MVP trophy.
I got one word for you, GINOBILLI!!!!!!!:lol

tlongII
08-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Brandon Roy will win MVP.

Man In Black
08-27-2007, 04:54 PM
So Tony, what will you do if you win that MVP? Jump off a boat you say!!!

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/BA_TONY_070710_ssh.jpg

ducks
08-27-2007, 07:54 PM
yes they were. Your man crush for TP is weird. just did a quick search. Here's a link with several players from the same team getting MVP votes.

http://www.nba.com/news/nash_mvp_050508.html
dude I do not even think tp has a chance
I am trying to point out not very many top mvp candiates play on the same team

you are proving that can happen

ducks
08-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Brandon Roy will win MVP.
maybe mip

2centsworth
08-28-2007, 08:10 AM
dude I do not even think tp has a chance
I am trying to point out not very many top mvp candiates play on the same team

you are proving that can happen
you asked if there has "ever" been two mvp candidates on one team. I answered all the time and gave you recent examples. You then began to argue that my recent examples were wrong. I then provided proof.

Stop trying to hype up TP to more than he already is. It's gay at best.

da_suns_fan__
08-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Parker-2.48

Stupid Texas idiots. Are you ALL this stupid?

Probably.

Dirk Nowitzki
08-28-2007, 03:10 PM
If Chauncy Billups can get mentioned in MVP talk, Parker can as well. That being said I dont see him finishing top 3 mainly due to Pops way of pacing his players during the season along with competing with guys like Nash,Dirk,Kobe,Bron etc etc. I can easily see Parker really blowing up as a complete player this season nonetheless.

mardigan
08-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Stupid Texas idiots. Are you ALL this stupid?

Probably.
You say he turns the ball over to much, I say he turns it over way less than the former MVP, and Im the idiot.

Another stupid Suns fan

hater
08-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Fuck MVP. save Tony for playoffs. its all about rings.

http://www.nba.com/media/dirk3_300_070515.jpg

MaNuMaNiAc
08-28-2007, 03:28 PM
:lol talk about jumping the gun. I'm sorry, I love Tony but if you think he's already good enough to beat Nash, Nowitsky or Tim you're delusional beyond your wildest dreams. As long as Tim is the backbone of this team (and he still is) its crazy to think Tony will win the MVP.

ShoogarBear
08-28-2007, 03:56 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/dirk3_300_070515.jpgOh, man, that is a funny-azz picture. How have I not seen this before?

DR WU
08-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Tony has gotten better every year but he still needs work on ball distribution. He needs to raise by half again the number of his assists. Then, (with his 20+) he'd be a contender. Until then it's just a wishbone.

lefty
08-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Tony MVP ?

Nope

lefty
08-28-2007, 07:35 PM
However, I can see Duncan as the 2008 MVP.

I think they have realized who great he is (great playoffs stats, 4th championship) ; they will have to give him a 3rd MVP award to cement his legacy

JPB
08-29-2007, 03:45 AM
However, I can see Duncan as the 2008 MVP.

I think they have realized who great he is (great playoffs stats, 4th championship) ; they will have to give him a 3rd MVP award to cement his legacy

I think Tim will always be the cornerstone of this franchise but I also think people don't realize that last year was the year Tony really established himself as the second franchise player of the spurs.

If one of those two has to be MVP in the future, it will be Tony. Tim will little by little let (it has already begon) TP take care of the job in the RS and will be there when it matters most. That's in the order of things.

Last year, and last PO, Tony reached another level that gave him a lot of confidence. You can see something happened when you see him play with the french NT. He's not the same player that he was for example last year with France during preparation games in Japan.

There's something new that is coming out of him and that Spurs fans and also players will see next year. He's gonna become a real natural leader next season.

barbacoataco
08-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Favorites for MVP in 2008 would be: Lebron, Bryant, Garnett, Wade, Carmelo. After that Parker might be in the mix. He is the reigning Finals MVP, and that was enough to get Billups in the conversation for a couple of years. Also he is married to Eva, and gets on Entertainment Tonight more than any other NBA player.