PDA

View Full Version : Del Negro!

YamaSama
08-28-2007, 02:22 PM
The Italian Stallion is the new Asst. GM in Phoenix - another ex-Spur in an NBA front office.
It's going to be hard to root against Steve Kerr and Vinny Del Negro... ah, maybe not.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47814/20070828/phoenix_promotes_del_negro_to_assistant_gm/

angel_luv
08-28-2007, 02:23 PM
It's going to be hard to root against Steve Kerr and Vinny Del Negro... ah, maybe not.

I'll manage. :lol

ChumpDumper
08-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Kerr maybe, but Del Negro was the very definition of clock-puncher as a Spur.

Oh, Gee!!
08-28-2007, 02:54 PM
traitors both! how dare they pursue careers in management!! They should live out the rest of their days writing songs about the spurs, and travelling to foreign countries to educate the ignorant about the greatness of the spurs.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-28-2007, 02:57 PM
How is it going to be difficult to root against Del Negro? seriously, not EVERY Spurs is a Spur for life. Only ones I might have a hard time rooting against if they left would be Manu, Tim, Tony, Bruce and ofcourse The Admiral and that's it

Switchman
08-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Omg!

hater
08-28-2007, 03:20 PM
How is it going to be difficult to root against Del Negro? seriously, not EVERY Spurs is a Spur for life. Only ones I might have a hard time rooting against if they left would be Manu, Tim, Tony, Bruce and ofcourse The Admiral and that's it

maybe bandwagon fans.

but true Spur fans know that Del Negro was the shit!

hater
08-28-2007, 03:22 PM
The only one I worry about rooting against is Avery Johnson.

There is NO NEED to root against Kerr/Del negro. as long as D'antoni is the coach, they are bound to fail :lol

YamaSama
08-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Vinny Del Negro was one of my favorite Spurs growing up - I thought he was well-loved in SA. Maybe that was just my perception.
Truthfully, I don't care in the least that he's going to Phx. It just made me happy to see his name in the headlines.

J.T.
08-28-2007, 04:21 PM
AJ lost his Spurs when the Mavs beat the Spurs in 06.

SenorSpur
08-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Despite my over-abundance of Spurs love, there are certain players that come along that you simply despise. NVE being the most recent example. For me, Del Negro was the absolute worst shooting guard in Spurs history.

At the time he was acquired, I recall the Spurs brass (Bob Bass) trying to sell us on the fact that Del Negro would be an adequate replacement for the departed Rod Strickland, whom they had just traded. What they forgot to mention was the Del Negro was a SG and strickland was a PG. So the team was still without a floor general. Enter Avery Johnson.

Mr. Anti-Clutch is what I called him Del Negro back then. He could occasionally hit the open, uncontested shot. However, when you put a hand in his face or press him on the perimeter and he'd fold like tissue paper. Besides that, he couldn't take anyone off the dribble and struggled creating his own shot.

It was such a beating seeing him and Avery get overmatched and virtually outplayed around that time against the NBA's stiffer competition.

If the Spurs were ever viewed as soft by their opponents, I would think it was more because of him than D-Rob. Truly a great day when his ass was shipped out of here.

TDMVPDPOY
08-28-2007, 11:24 PM
wtf is wrong with these ex-spurs players joining our nemises administration

there has to be a correlation betweeen ex-spur scrubs with them in admin jobs for teams that dont deliver = fake

BeerIsGood!
08-28-2007, 11:28 PM
The thing I like about Del Negro was the odd irony that nearly every Spurs player was black except the one named Del Negro.

smrattler
08-29-2007, 12:49 AM
Despite my over-abundance of Spurs love, there are certain players that come along that you simply despise. NVE being the most recent example. For me, Del Negro was the absolute worst shooting guard in Spurs history.

At the time he was acquired, I recall the Spurs brass (Bob Bass) trying to sell us on the fact that Del Negro would be an adequate replacement for the departed Rod Strickland, whom they had just traded. What they forgot to mention was the Del Negro was a SG and strickland was a PG. So the team was still without a floor general. Enter Avery Johnson.

Mr. Anti-Clutch is what I called him Del Negro back then. He was money when he had a clear view of the basket. But put a hand in his face or press him on the perimeter and he'd fold like tissue paper. Besides that, he couldn't take anyone off the dribble and struggled creating his own shot.

It was such a beating seeing him and Avery get overmatched and virtually outplayed around that time against the NBA's stiffer competition.

If the Spurs were ever viewed as soft by their opponents, I would think it was more because of him than D-Rob. Truly a great day when his ass was shipped out of here.

I like Vinny the guy, but in terms of basketball he really did represent everything that was wrong with the Spurs in the 90's: soft, predictable, one-dimensional, soft, whatever-the-word-is-that-describes-guys-that-play-their-worst-games-at-the-worst-time, not mentally tough enough to compete with the best, just soft. :(

Samr
08-29-2007, 02:24 AM
Vinny Del Negro is the only Spur I ever liked because I felt bad for him. I mean, he just sucked so much, and the Spurs tried so hard to promote him, you couldn't help but feel for the guy. It's kind of like going shopping for a new puppy, and then feeling sorry for (and subsequently picking) the ugliest, weakest one in the litter because you dream of one day nursing it into a handsome, strong animal. I mean, I wanted Vinny to be good. Hell I'm pretty sure I dreamed of it at times. But, it never happened, and he retired with the same, ugly skill set he put on shameful display in the Spurs' starting lineup. Still one of my favorite players to this day. That bastard. I still hate myself for liking him.

Oh, Gee!!
08-29-2007, 07:18 AM
wtf is wrong with these ex-spurs players joining our nemises administration

Hmmmmm.......could it be money? A career? Opportunity to stay close to game they love?

Oh, Gee!!
08-29-2007, 07:22 AM
odd irony

redundant?

whottt
08-29-2007, 07:23 AM
I'd find it easy to root against Vinny if he was the assistant GM for the Spurs. He was kind of butt when he left. He acted like the Spurs should have kept overlooking the fact that he sucked. And was indignant that they didn't...another case of a scrub thinking he was much better than he was, because he got to play alongside one of the best bigmen ever...but he probably had less reason to have an overinflated opinion of himself than AJ.

Kerr is pretty much a douchebag now but at least he's a douchebag that could hit open shots when he was doubled off of...unlike Vinny, who was possibly the worst player in history at actually knocking down shots when he was open. AJ wasn't good at it either, but at least AJ had the excuse of not being able to shoot, unlike Vinny. Vinny was actually better at it when he was being defended. I rather Smitty or Hedo take the open shot than Vinny.

In any case...arrivaderchi...bitch. Thanks for the ring we got, when you left.

SenorSpur
08-29-2007, 08:09 AM
I remember reading a blurb about Vinny that occurred some time back his tenure that pretty much sealed my "disdain" for him.

It seems that Del Negro was always awe struck (and helpless) whenever the Spurs went up against MJ and the Bulls - who wasn't. The problem was that instead of worrying about trying to defend him on the court and really competing hard, he was often more concerned with trying to secure MJ's attendance at this annual offseason golf tournament. A subject that he would bring up during the occasional FT line chatter.

As someone else indicated earlier, Del Negro typified everything wrong about the Spurs teams of that era. Unable to defend, mentally soft, couldn't deliver in the clutch.

This guy was also a clear indication of the extremely poor management decisions made by Bass and the other brass in the pre-Pop, pre- R.C. regime.

samikeyp
08-29-2007, 08:15 AM
I don't think it will be hard at all. :)

Congrats though to Vinny. One of my favorite Spurs of all time. I met him once at Howl at the Moon. One of the nicest guys you will meet.

Craig
08-29-2007, 08:16 AM
OOOOOooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh! LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Craig
08-29-2007, 08:17 AM
I don't think it will be hard at all. :)

Congrats though to Vinny. One of my favorite Spurs of all time. I met him once at Howl at the Moon. One of the nicest guys you will meet.

His wife wore the shirt off my back once :hat

My buddy and I were at an Iguanas game and she sat right behind us. They kept commenting on the jerseys so she asked if she could wear mine.

She was hot so I had to agree.

samikeyp
08-29-2007, 08:20 AM
Yes she is. Vinny is a lucky man. :)

SenorSpur
08-29-2007, 08:33 AM
He's right where he needs to be - at the right hand of D'Antoni.

bigfan
08-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Lots of anger here..... I always liked Vinny. Not the best player we ever had but he played hard and was a good Spur. Congrats on his new job.

nfg3
08-29-2007, 11:24 AM
I liked Vinny and when I saw him play for the Kings I wanted to get him on our team. At that time he would come off the bench and score on us almost at will. The problem was he is a 2nd team guy who really sucked as a starter. Soft and one-dimensional. I remember how he was so streaky - he would have several good games in a row and then just stink the place up for the next 4-5. It was so frustrating because many of his shots were uncontested. The other thing that got to me was when he would shoot an apparent 3 point shot only to have it called a 2 pointer one because oen of his feet was be on the line. Usually and inch or two but enough - I used to scream at the TV "Damn it Vinny pay attention to where you are on the court" but I guess he couldn't hear me.

No problem rooting against him and hie wife is really hot -or was when he played for us.

SenorSpur
08-29-2007, 11:48 AM
A caption from NBA.com that details his first season with the Spurs

1992-93:
The San Antonio Spurs brought Del Negro back to the NBA when they signed him as a free agent in summer 1992. Jerry Tarkanian opened the season as the Spurs' new coach, and he made Del Negro his starting point guard. ... Tarkanian started Del Negro in 19 games, during which the former North Carolina State standout averaged 11.3 points and 7.1 assists in 32.7 minutes per contest. However, when the Spurs replaced Tarkanian with John Lucas after 20 games, Del Negro's playing time dropped because Lucas preferred Avery Johnson in the starting role. ...

No shit! Damn U Tarkaninan!

urunobili
08-29-2007, 02:07 PM
:clap

whottt
08-29-2007, 05:27 PM
#1. I could forgive Vinny sucking if he was actually sorry for sucking. But not only is he not sorry for sucking, he doesn't even think he sucked. In fact he did suck...immeasurably.

#2. He was an ass when he left. Like AJ, he should been down on his knees kissing Drob's ass for the NBA career Drob gave him..and instead acted like the Spurs were the ones keeping him from winning a title.

What does it tell you that the Spurs used to give Drob a second string SG at best...as his PG. And what does it tell you about Drob that he would actually convince us all we had a chance in hell of winning a championship with that kind of team. It tells you he was one hell of a bad ass player...at least that's what it should tell you.

The year after the Spurs signed him...Vinny actually was the starting PG. And yeah...DRob convinced us we were going to win a title....again.

Take a hike Vinny...we replaced you and won a championship, you were the only starter replaced, and all of sudded we started hitting shots off double teams...what does that tell you scrub? It should tell you, you were the weakest link...and any time you even mention your Spurs career the first words out of your mouth should be...I'm sorry Spursfans, and I'm sorry David. Stick that in your disgruntled grudge bag and sit on it! Scrub!

Edit: Calling you a scrub is an insult to scrubs...it should read, Choking Scrub!

Whisky Dog
08-30-2007, 06:55 AM
This one's for you Whot

http://www.jeffscanlan.com/gallery/jsvinniedelnegro.jpg

SenorSpur
08-30-2007, 07:35 AM
Talk about delusional. What the hell did Del Negro have to be disgruntled about? He was an average player, at best (on a good day). Otherwise, you're correct. The rest of the time - he sucked.

The only thing that sucked worse during Del Negro's tenure is the Spurs front office. For harboring that type of talent around D-Rob and then making him a starter.

MI21
08-30-2007, 07:59 AM
Ugggh, Vinny, stop standing ON the 3pt line...

LakerHater
08-30-2007, 04:13 PM
maybe bandwagon fans.

but true Spur fans know that Del Negro was the shit! Hell Yeah I used to love Del Negro!!!

LuvBones
08-30-2007, 04:21 PM
I love Vinny Del Negro still!