PDA

View Full Version : Securing your wireless connection.....

ZStomp
08-29-2007, 06:28 AM
...how do you do it?

I have a Router connected straight to my cable/phone modem. So my PC and laptop are wireless. I don't have a modem connected straight to either of my computers. Can I still secure my connection so that others can't access my connection?

Thanks,
Z

boutons_
08-29-2007, 07:41 AM
Read you wireless router's manual

Slomo
08-29-2007, 07:42 AM
...how do you do it?

I have a Router connected straight to my cable/phone modem. So my PC and laptop are wireless. I don't have a modem connected straight to either of my computers. Can I still secure my connection so that others can't access my connection?

Thanks,
ZUnder security settings you must at least switch on WEP 128 bit encryption. While this is relatively easily cracked it's not something that most computer users can or will do. If you have the option of using WPA use it it's a lot better.

Not transmiting the network's CSID also helps to a certain extent.

CubanMustGo
08-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Besides adding encryption (and almost all devices nowadays support WPA, slomo's advice is spot on here), it's a good idea to set up your router to only allow connections from defined MAC addresses. Every network device (wired or wireless) has a unique identifier hardwired into it, called the MAC address. That way, even if someone did hack your key, they couldn't connect to and abuse your router, just view your traffic.

If you don't know your MAC addresses or how to look them up, you can set up the router, connect your devices, and the router will have a status screen that will show the addresses of the devices that have connected.

This is one of those areas where an offer of a few beers to a WLAN-savvy friend may pay off in spades. Have him/her come over, show you what they're doing, and hopefully you'll be able to do it the next time.

tlongII
08-29-2007, 09:14 AM
You could get an internet guard dog. Maybe a pit bull?

TDMVPDPOY
08-29-2007, 10:05 AM
128bit wep..put a pw on it...