PDA

View Full Version : Blog On Building A Franchise Around Duncan

duncan228
08-29-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't usually post blogs.
But since this was about Duncan and since it deals with the age old question of who you'd pick to build a franchise around, I am throwing it out here.

It appears to be some kind of countdown, Duncan at #4.
There are links to Carmelo Anthony for #5 and Steve Nash for #6. (I didn't read them.)

Being the Duncan fan I am I like what he says. There's nothing new but I like reading positive stuff on Duncan.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/08/29/the-summer-of-answers-tim-duncan-is-the-4th-biggest-cornerstone/

The Summer of Answers: Tim Duncan is the 4th Biggest Cornerstone
by Tom Ziller

The Summer of Answers takes on every NBA question you've ever wanted to ask ... such as, "Which player would you build a franchise around?"

You could make a 'Tim Duncan for MVP' case every season this decade. (He has two such trophies.) Not only has The Big Fundamental made the playoffs every season of his career, he's been the Spurs' best player on both ends of the floor every single campaign. Ten seasons of hard work, four rings, three Finals MVPs. This dude craps gold. But, as you may have heard... he's kind-of a dork. Dorks don't sell merchandise, unfortunately. But does it matter?

Pros: There really isn't a whole lot to say here. The definition of double-double. (Well, one of the definitions of double-double.) One season he dropped below 20 points per game; another season he slipped under 11 rebounds. He's dependable, playing 95% of his possible 788 regular season games. And he's averaged almost 38 minutes a game -- a lot of time for a big. He's the best post defender since Bill Russell. (Eight all-defense first team nods.) And the whole 'consummate pro, coachable superstar, incredible teammate, devoid of visible ego' thing.

Cons: Screw jersey hucksters. There's only one thing keeping Duncan this far off the peak of this list: He's 31 years old. He's racked up 33,000 minutes including the postseason. But again: He's been healthy. Even in the past two years, as he's assumedly aged -- he only missed four games. Duncan's probably good for seven more seasons, and he'll probably start dropping off within three. That assures better current options to build a longterm contender, sadly. But be discerning in choosing just any old 'next great hope' or risk watching TD and his Spurs sip some more Krug.

Final Verdict: No candidates have the pedigree as a franchise anchor... but a few are younger, and the age/potential combination boosts them above Big Fun. (No worries: Duncan wouldn't care, anyway.) Duncan could very well be the most underrated GOAT candidate of all time. The MUGOAT? Sounds like something from the D&D Monster Manual... which would probably suit TD just fine, actually. :lol

SsKSpurs21
08-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Tim Duncan being 31 years old and STILL being ranked 4th shows how good of a player he still is. God, how lucky are we to have landed him in San Antonio.

Greatest Power Forward of All Time!

MONTENEGRINO
08-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Greatest player of our time...