PDA

View Full Version : Richard Jewell dead

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Although give it a few weeks, the media might be have been wrong on this one. Has anybody checked if Eric Rudolph died?

-------

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/29/richard.jewell/index.html

One-time Olympic park bombing suspect Richard Jewell dies

* Richard Jewell, 44, has died, his attorney tells CNN
* Jewell wrongly suspected of setting off a deadly bomb during 1996 Olympics
* Jewell was cleared after 12 weeks of scrutiny
* In April, 2005, Eric Robert Rudolph pleaded guilty to the bombing

(CNN) -- Richard Jewell, the security guard wrongly suspected of setting off a deadly bomb at Atlanta, Georgia's Centennial Olympic Park during the 1996 Olympics, died Wednesday morning, his attorney, Lin Wood, told CNN.

Jewell, 44, died of natural causes at his home in Woodbury, Georgia, according to Meriwether County Coroner Johnny Worley.

Jewell had been suffering from diabetes and kidney failure since February, Worley said.

After 12 weeks of scrutiny following the bombing, Jewell was cleared by the FBI and U.S. Attorney Kent Alexander in an unprecedented government acknowledgment of wrongful accusation.

"I am not the Olympic park bomber," Jewell told reporters after being cleared. "I am a man who has lived 88 days afraid of being arrested for a crime I did not commit."

The FBI, Jewell said, trampled on his rights "in its rush to show the world it could get its man," while the news media "cared nothing about my feelings as a human being" in its rush to get a story on the bombing.

Jewell was working as a private security guard in Centennial Olympic Park about 1 a.m. on July 27 when he identified a suspicious unidentified package and began moving people away from it. The package turned out to contain the bomb, which went off, killing one person and wounding more than 100.

He was originally hailed as a hero for moving people away, but he was later thrust into a different light when the FBI suspected that he had set off the bomb to give himself an opportunity to be a hero.

For weeks, reporters and camera crews camped outside Jewell's Atlanta apartment, capturing every move that he -- and the FBI -- made.

He later sued the FBI and several media organizations. CNN and NBC were among the organizations that settled with him.

In April, 2005, Eric Robert Rudolph pleaded guilty to the bombing. Rudolph was captured in Murphy, North Carolina, in May 2003 after one of the largest manhunts in U.S. history.

Rudolph also pleaded guilty to a 1998 bombing at a family planning clinic in Birmingham, Alabama, that killed a police officer and two 1997 bombings at an abortion clinic and a gay nightclub in Georgia.

He is serving four consecutive life sentences plus 120 years for the attacks.

ShoogarBear
08-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Sad. I remember that unbelievable media frenzy around him.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-29-2007, 03:15 PM
BTW, if somebody wants to see harm come to Eric Rudolph, I wouldn't vote to convict.

BacktoBasics
08-29-2007, 04:08 PM
One of the unluckiest men ever.