PDA

View Full Version : Psst, don't tell anyone, but Blazers are already at work

tlongII
08-30-2007, 10:17 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/118844072391800.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

Thursday, August 30, 2007
TUALATIN T he front doors of the Trail Blazers practice facility were bolted shut Wednesday. To get inside, you needed a key, or a thumbprint that the security-system scanner outside recognized. And a catering company delivery van was parked outside, along with the automobiles of 12 NBA players.
Inside the practice facility, guard Steve Blake shot three-pointers. And center Greg Oden stretched. And guard Jarrett Jack worked with the team's new shooting coach, John Townsend. And power forward LaMarcus Aldridge and guard Brandon Roy were there, too.
Darius Miles isn't cleared to scrimmage yet, but he's showing up, too, to work out twice a day. In fact, the only Blazers who haven't yet reported are 14-year veteran Raef LaFrentz, Joel Przybilla and Sergio Rodriguez, who is playing in the European Championships, team officials said.
Also, Martell Webster, 15 pounds lighter than a year ago, dunked on Aldridge and Oden in what one longtime insider called, "The most remarkable dunk this practice facility has ever seen."
And another insider who has observed the daily full-court pick-up games this week reported that Aldridge has been the most dominant player in the gym most days.
No media allowed in the gym. No fans allowed, either. In fact, during this time period, coaches are allowed to observe only when more than three players are on the court.
Still, those bleeding out of the building kept shaking their heads and saying words like, "unprecedented" and "inspiring" and "remarkable." And even as the franchise would love to lock down the facility until the season opener, keep all this activity clandestine, the fact that the Blazers mean business needs to become the worst-kept secret in the city.
Consider that the typical ambitious NBA player might normally report to his training facility a week or 10 days early. Then, understand that all this voluntary activity is going down as we're still five weeks from the opening of camp.
The Blazers had a good, small group that arrived early last year, but this year, it's infected most of the team. Yes, this early arrival was the players' idea, apparently born from enthusiasm. And a few phone calls from Roy to some of his teammates. And suddenly, the youngest team in the league is behaving as if it doesn't want to be the worst team in the league ever again.
I'll toast to that. So will you. Because when a high-level executive of the San Antonio Spurs was informed this week that Oden and Co. -- and that's what this team is now -- reported more than a month early, his only reply was, "Seriously?"

We've heard a lot of talk about a change in culture in Portland. But what we have here is evidence that the players on this team: (a) want to be in Portland and (b) have become accountable not only to the franchise and fans, but more significant, to themselves.
On Wednesday, Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard said he was sorry that there was no media access this week. He was apologetic for the closed doors and private workouts, but said he was excited about the enthusiasm, and his smile did all the talking when I asked him how unprecedented this kind of wholesale early arrival was by league standards.
"This just doesn't happen anywhere else," he said.
Then, Pritchard suggested that maybe I wait a week or two to write this piece. He said if I came back then, he figured it might be a better column, because I'd be allowed to observe a workout and talk with players, and not be shooed away from the front doors.
Then, Pritchard's cell phone rang.
It was owner Paul Allen, wanting an update.
Which is only to say, fans love this kind of stuff.
Apologies to Pritchard, but this column wouldn't be any more useful to readers with a player quote about the early activity. Or with me watching Blake shoot that three, firsthand. Or by me seeing that Webster dunk. Or by watching Aldridge play with purpose with my own two eyes.
We shouldn't wait one more minute, or hour, or day, to report that the Blazers are here, working, playing, and being accountable in a way that should make us all smile. It's happening whether we see it or not, whether reporters or cameras are allowed.
And that's significant.

When the Blazers end a typical regular-season practice, they leave the court and find the media waiting for them between the court and the weight room.
I once saw ex-Blazer Bonzi Wells leave the practice court in Tualatin, head toward the locker room, then notice the media, which caused him to alter his path into the weight room. He did a couple of sets of bicep curls, looking around to see if anyone noticed, before slipping away.
And another Blazers player approached me once, after I'd written a positive column about the hard work some of his teammates were putting in after practice, to say, "If I'd known people were going to write about it, I'd have stayed late that day, too."
False hustle, see.
But in this case, the Blazers really are working for the sole sake of improvement.
What we have here is an authentic case of progress.
The franchise should be screaming from the nearest park bench about this wonderful development. The staffers, forever at the mercy of the players on the roster for the franchise's public image, should be walking the halls, hugging and high-fiving today.
The season has already started.
John Canzano: 503-294-5065; [email protected] To read his blog, go to http://blog.oregonlive.com/ johncanzano; Catch him on the radio on "The Bald-Faced Truth" beginning Sept. 3, from 6-8 p.m. on KXL (750)

George Gervin's Afro
08-30-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm really worried now :rolleyes

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Blazers get started a month earlier than most teams, Spurs play a month longer than most teams. It balances.

Medvedenko
08-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Good for them....It's great for a young team to start bonding early and learn their tendencies....I'm looking forward to watching them play.

angel_luv
08-30-2007, 10:44 AM
The Blazers need the work. :lol

gtownspur
08-30-2007, 11:58 AM
First i'd like to wish a Happy Rashobenosucksmas!

And I agree with Angel Luv's statement, and that Tlong is the Capt Mike of the Nba forum.

JamStone
08-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Every year for the last 4-5 years, I hear about all the excitement in Detroit Lions training camp, how players are in great shape, have a new focus, a new hunger, and that "something's" different. They tell of stories of guys doing incredible things on the field. They have a few flashes of brilliance here and there in pre-season games.

And, they go on to lose 10+ games every year.

Excitement is good. And, it's not to say the Blazers can't drastically improve next season. But, temper the enthusiasm with a little reality. Likely, they'll be better, but still not make the playoffs. They might fight for a 7th or 8th seed, which in itself will be extremely impressive. But, all of the greats that went to losing teams had to take steps to building the team into a champion. It's not like Oden is going to the Cavs and joining up with LeBron. It's not like James Worthy being drafted by a team that already had Magic and Kareem. It's not like Duncan teaming up with David Robinson. The Blazers should improve.

Good luck to them.

angel_luv
08-30-2007, 12:29 PM
First i'd like to wish a Happy Rashobenorocksmas!

:toast

gtownspur
08-30-2007, 12:37 PM
First i'd like to wish a Happy Rashobenobricksmas!

Actually bricks are closely related to rocks more than sucks.

angel_luv
08-30-2007, 12:41 PM
First i'd like to wish a Happy Rashobenoquicksmas!

Or better yet Rashobenoquitmas- as in quit picking on my boys! :lol

Supergirl
08-30-2007, 12:42 PM
I think the trio of Aldridge, Oden, and Roy will be very, very good in a couple years. They seem to have connected off the court, and that will help them tremendously on the court.

It's still early for this team. They're very, very young. But they could easily be good enough to make it to the playoffs, maybe even out of the first round. In 2-3 yrs they could be serious competitors.

Strike
08-30-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't give a shit about workouts, early practices, scrimmages, and all that shit. Important as all that is, I won't buy into a damn thing until I see the Blazers pop off a few wins against the cream of the western conference crop.

Darkwaters
08-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Blazers get started a month earlier than most teams, Spurs play a month longer than most teams. It balances.

:clap

ShoogarBear
08-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Blazers get started a month earlier than most teams, Spurs play a month longer than most teams. It balances.:worthy:

CavsSuperFan
08-30-2007, 02:58 PM
The door is bolted because they are all getting high & swapping bags of weed.... :smokin

mikejones99
08-30-2007, 06:42 PM
They are still favored to lose the first real game they play by 9 and get less than 38 wins for the season.

Sense
08-30-2007, 07:23 PM
pssst, look at my sig.

JamStone
09-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Psst ... it's ok to cry

oligarchy
09-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Psst ... it's ok to cry

Crying takes the sad out of you

OdenCouchDynasty
09-17-2007, 10:38 PM
He should've rested. If he wasn't so tired after practice he wouldn't have had to sit on me.