PDA

View Full Version : Gene Chizik Debut... OUCH

scott
08-31-2007, 07:28 AM
Dropping one at home to KENT STATE?

Golden Flashes 23, Cyclones 14

AMES, Iowa (AP) -- Kent State earned a landmark victory and showed new Iowa State coach Gene Chizik that his rebuilding job with the Cyclones has a long way to go.

Julian Edelman threw for 161 yards and a touchdown to lead Kent State to a 23-14 victory over Iowa State on Thursday night in Chizik's first game as Cyclones coach.

Eugene Jarvis added 113 yards rushing for Kent State (1-0), which beat a team from a BCS conference for the first time in 20 years.

"This is a huge win for our program. We set a foundation last year," Edelman said. "This shows that Kent State will do some good things this year."

The Golden Flashes, of the Mid-American Conference, did it despite committing three turnovers in the red zone. But the Cyclones had three turnovers of their own, including two interceptions by Bret Meyer.

Kent State last beat a BCS conference team in 1987, when it got past Kansas, then of the Big Eight, 31-17.

"There were times when we showed some flashes and did what we hoped to do," Chizik said. "There were a lot of first-game blunders. In some sense it was a comedy of errors on everybody's part."

Kent State did everything it could to give the win to Iowa State (0-1). But the Cyclones couldn't capitalize on those mistakes, and Kent State seized control with two scores late in the third quarter.

Jarvis capped a 12-play, 56-yard drive with a 2-yard touchdown run to give the Golden Flashes a 16-14 lead. Meyer then made a critical error on the next series, forcing a throw into coverage. Brian Lainhart took an interception back to the Iowa State 8, and Edelman's 3-yard plunge put Kent State ahead by nine with 50 seconds left in the third quarter.

"I was terrible," Meyer said. "You can't make those same mistakes with as much experience as I have."

Edelman also rushed for 75 yards on 18 carries for Kent State, which improved from one win in 2005 to six wins last year. Beating a Big 12 team on the road, even one as inexperienced as Iowa State, is a major boost to the Golden Flashes' rebuilding efforts.

The news wasn't all bad for Iowa State, as junior college transfer J.J. Bass rushed for 133 yards on 22 carries and solidified his hold on the starting tailback job.

"I thought there were some things Bass did well, and at times we thought we could run the ball," Chizik said. "But we were inconsistent at it."

Kent State gave the Cyclones a sliver of hope late in the fourth, as Rico Murray drilled Zac Sandvig after he had called for a fair catch. The penalty put Iowa State at the Kent State 29, but Bret Culberson's 47-yard field goal try bounced off the uprights.

Kent State couldn't catch a break early, as it turned the ball over on three chances inside the Iowa State 20. Bryce Braaksma recovered a fumble at the 6, and Chris Singleton picked off Edelman at the 16. Iowa State's James Smith intercepted a tipped ball in the end zone on Kent State's first possession of the second half.

"I thought our red zone defense was outstanding most of the night," Chizik said.

The Cyclones took their first lead, 7-6, on a 13-yard TD run by Bass in the second quarter, and jumped ahead 14-9 on Todd Blythe's 16-yard TD catch in the third quarter.

Kent State opened the scoring with a 42-yard TD pass from Edelman to a wide-open Leneric Muldrow.

Meyer was 14-of-23 for 148 yards with one TD for Iowa State, which lost its first opener since 2002.

"This isn't the way I would have liked tonight to have turned out," Chizik said. "It hurts. I don't like it. I'm not used to it, and we've got to figure out a way to go and get better."

MajorMike
08-31-2007, 08:50 AM
Oh, my. And he was bitching that they were a unanimous last place in the north selection.

Thunder Dan
08-31-2007, 09:14 AM
Those are my Golden Flashes! I went to undergrad at Kent State

MajorMike
08-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Funny how I'm sure you would have admitted that if ISU would have won by 30.

NoMoneyDown
08-31-2007, 09:52 AM
It kind of shocks me that a man heralded as one of (if not THE) top defensive coordinators in CF in the past would let a team like Kent St. put up 23 points (and could haev been more!) against his team.

Thunder Dan
08-31-2007, 10:58 AM
Funny how I'm sure you would have admitted that if ISU would have won by 30.

Not really, I don't give a shit about Kent State football. If you like college football and you live in Ohio you root for Ohio State, and a small portion root for Michigan. When I was in college Kent State played Ohio State and I wanted Kent to get killed (which they did). I just finished grad school at Ohio State so it' not that big of a deal who I cheer for. But I would have admitted it because I am proud to be an alumni of both one of the best college football programs, and a alumni of one of the worst.

I mean to tell you how bad the program is there, Antonio Gates- a pro bowler in the NFL- didn't play football while at school there. How sorry does your program have to be when a basketball player is better than everyone on your football team?

Cant_Be_Faded
08-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Which once again proves Mookie's theory that Gene Chizik was all Huff.

tlongII
08-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Big-12 POWER!

samikeyp
08-31-2007, 02:18 PM
It kind of shocks me that a man heralded as one of (if not THE) top defensive coordinators in CF in the past would let a team like Kent St. put up 23 points (and could haev been more!) against his team.

Having the talent he had at Auburn and Texas helped too.

He has a big job ahead of him at ISU.

samikeyp
08-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Not really, I don't give a shit about Kent State football. If you like college football and you live in Ohio you root for Ohio State,

Don't forget the two people who root for Cincinnati and the one guy who is an Ohio U. fan. :)

degenerate_gambler
08-31-2007, 02:26 PM
The MAC isn't what it used to be, but they've still got a pulse. Well, except for Buffalo and Temple.

j-6
08-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Don't forget the two people who root for Cincinnati and the one guy who is an Ohio U. fan. :)

I work with a rabid Bowling Green alum. He cracks me up when he talks about hating those cheating bastards from Toledo.

Thunder Dan
08-31-2007, 03:07 PM
I work with a rabid Bowling Green alum. He cracks me up when he talks about hating those cheating bastards from Toledo.

that's funny, when I went to Kent nobody cared about their sports other than basketball. People around here like Ohio State for the most part though because they are in a different league than every other school in Ohio. In Ohio there are a handful of MAC schools and one major conference school (Ohio St.). So everyone will root for their team to win the MAC but follow Ohio State as a majority. It's muchlike rooting for your Minor League Baseball team, but rooting for a close MLB team.