PDA

View Full Version : Iowa court rules same-sex couples can marry

George Gervin's Afro
08-31-2007, 08:37 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/08/30/iowa.samesexmarriage/index.html

(CNN) -- An Iowa district court ruled Thursday that same-sex couples can marry based on the state constitution's guarantee of equal treatment, court documents show.

An Iowa district judge ruled in favor of same-sex marriage.

The ruling was in response to a December 2005 lawsuit brought by six same-sex couples seeking to wed. They were denied marriage licenses and claimed such treatment violates equal-protection and due-process clauses in the Iowa constitution.

The court also struck down a state law declaring valid marriages are only between a man and woman.

The Iowa District Court for Polk County advances the case to the Iowa Supreme Court which will make a final decision on same-sex marriage, according to Lambda Legal, a gay and lesbian legal organization representing the couples.

The 63-page ruling, written by Judge Robert Hanson states: "Couples, such as plaintiffs, who are otherwise qualified to marry one another may not be denied licenses to marry or certificates of marriage or in any other way prevented from entering into a civil marriage pursuant to Iowa Code Chapter 595 by reason of the fact that both persons compromising such a couple are of the same sex."

The law describing marriage as between a man and a woman, "constitutes the most intrusive means by the state to regulate marriage. This statute is an absolute prohibition on the ability of gay and lesbian individuals to marry a person of their choosing," Hanson wrote.

Lambda says the six couples are all in long-term relationship - one couple has been together for six years, another couple has been together for 17 years.

Don't Miss
Dems pressed on gay issues at forum
GOP no-show at landmark gay issues debate
"Three of the couples are raising children, others are planning families, and all want the responsibilities of marriage and the protections only marriage can provide," according to the organization.

"We respectfully disagree with the court's decision, and we're going to ask for a stay," said Polk County Attorney John Sarcone.

He said his office will examine whether it's best to file a motion to reconsider. But barring a change in the court's opinion, Sarcone will appeal the ruling.

Co-counsel for the plaintiffs along with Lambda Legal, Dennis Johnson called the ruling "a significant step forward in recognizing the constitutional rights of all Iowans, and it's an amazing day for same-sex couples and their families all across Iowa."

You have to got to believe that there are numerous GOP operatives rejoicing over this. Can anyone say 'political football for the 08 elections'? Dust off the gay marriage amendment propoganda...

Ray has a meltdown over this decision...

Oh, Gee!!
08-31-2007, 08:42 AM
What is with these states beginning with letter I?

boutons_
08-31-2007, 08:43 AM
We'll see if the Repugs up the level of their game in 2008, or whether the 20-year Atwater/Rove legacy of polarizing/militarizing the US by appealing to right-wing/"Christian"/neo-cunt radical nutters will continue.

Expect the viciously repugnant worst from the Repugs, and you'll never be disappointed.

xrayzebra
08-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Ray has a meltdown over this decision...

Doesn't bother me. Obviously you are thrilled by his decision.

.....appealing to right-wing/"Christian"/neo-cunt radical nutters will continue.

Funny how boutons loves everyone but "Christians" and will
use the word along with his normal profanity. Shows how
unbiased he is I guess. Or can we say "opened minded".

George Gervin's Afro
08-31-2007, 09:02 AM

Ray I am neither thrilled or bothered by this. I don't worry about what other folks do.

Oh, Gee!!
08-31-2007, 09:04 AM
The ruling will be overturned and the right will start the push for a constitutional amendment once again. Yawnerz

DarkReign
08-31-2007, 09:44 AM
To be honest, I am surprised people feel strongly one way or the other on such a non-issue issue.

Another distraction for the ADD majority in America.

Mister Sinister
08-31-2007, 10:01 AM
To be honest, I am surprised people feel strongly one way or the other on such a non-issue issue.

Is it a distraction for the GLBT community? Because when I saw the story, I was pretty happy about it.

johnsmith
08-31-2007, 10:03 AM

I'm still a little confused on gay people being married, I don't quite get how it's going to negatively effect the entire United States. This is one issue that I don't stand on the Republican side with.

Having said that, Xray makes a valid point about Boutons.

Mister Sinister
08-31-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm still a little confused on gay people being married, I don't quite get how it's going to negatively effect the entire United States. This is one issue that I don't stand on the Republican side with.

Having said that, Xray makes a valid point about Boutons.
Duh. Allowing those fags and dykes to get married will usher in the reign of the Antichrist. Don't you pay attention to these things?

Trainwreck2100
08-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Is it a distraction for the GLBT community? Because when I saw the story, I was pretty happy about it.

They'll vote democrat anyway. So it should be a non issue in 08, that being said, it won't be

Mister Sinister
08-31-2007, 11:47 AM
They'll vote democrat anyway. So it should be a non issue in 08, that being said, it won't be
Fuck that. My bisexual ass is writing in Jello Pudding Pops in 08.

Oh, Gee!!
08-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Pick a side.

Holt's Cat
08-31-2007, 11:53 AM

No kidding.

Sen. Craig
08-31-2007, 02:26 PM
This is an outrage!! Same sex couples disgust me!!! :cuss

fyatuk
08-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Good for GLBT Iowans!

Who cares how people other than Iowans think of it anyway.

ChumpDumper
08-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Good for GLBT Iowans!Both of them!

fyatuk
08-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Both of them!

Apparently there's at least 12 :P

ChumpDumper
08-31-2007, 04:06 PM
Those two must've given the others gay.

boutons_
08-31-2007, 10:55 PM
For a Day, Gay Marriage Is Legal in Iowa

Associated Press
Saturday, September 1, 2007; A07

DES MOINES, Aug. 31 -- Two men sealed Iowa's first legal same-sex marriage with a kiss Friday morning, less than 24 hours after a judge threw out the state's ban.

A couple of hours later, though, Polk County Judge Robert Hanson stayed his own ruling, pending an appeal by the county to the state Supreme Court.

( http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif fucking hick judges! no balls! )

Sean Fritz and Tim McQuillan were among the lucky few to get their application through.

The approval process for marriage licenses normally takes three business days, but Fritz and McQuillan took advantage of a loophole that allows couples to skip the waiting period if they pay a $5 fee and get a judge to sign a waiver.

On Friday morning, the Rev. Mark Stringer declared the two legally married in a wedding on a Unitarian minister's front lawn in Des Moines.

"This is it. We're married. I love you," Fritz told McQuillan after the ceremony.

Hanson ruled Thursday that Iowa's 1998 Defense of Marriage Act, which allowed marriage only between a man and a woman, violated the constitutional rights of due process and equal protection of six gay couples who had sued.

State House Minority Leader Christopher Rants (R) http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif said the ruling illustrates the need for a state constitutional amendment banning such marriages.

"I can't believe this is happening in Iowa," Rants said. "I guarantee you there will be a vote on this issue come January," when the legislature convenes, he said.

================

Repugs legislating morality between consenting adults, what a bunch of knee-jerk, holy rollin, hypocritical losers.