PDA

View Full Version : Espn Insider..Rumor: Spurs make a major blunder??

theroc5
08-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Ya whats that all about?

MoSpur
08-31-2007, 09:21 AM
You tell me

watertorture
08-31-2007, 09:28 AM
scola?

MoSpur
08-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Trading Beno for absolutely nothing.

duncan228
08-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Trading Beno for absolutely nothing.

That would be a blunder? :lol

theroc5
08-31-2007, 09:39 AM
You tell me
cant dont have insider

ss1986v2
08-31-2007, 09:42 AM
pointless thread 101:

Step 1 - start thread on a topic which you have no information about.
Step 2 - ???
Step 3 - profit!

leemajors
08-31-2007, 09:47 AM
this was on truehoop, i would imagine the insider article is in the same vein:

Michael Lee of the Washington Post writes:

I am completely stunned that the Spurs traded him -- for little more than cap room -- and to division rival Houston at that. Scola is physical, relentless and he can score in a variety of ways, inside and out. ... "He's a very active player. He does everything and anything," said LeBron James, who has seen Scola up close in the 2004 Olympics in Athens and last summer's world championships in Japan. "He continues to get better every summer. He's a very good player and we need to be in tune and keep a bottle on him."

Scola, a 6-foot-9 power forward, won Spanish League MVP last season for Tau Ceramica and has been regarded for some time as the best foreign player to never play in the NBA. That will change when he saddles up to next to Yao Ming this fall. The Spurs may regret that it wasn't Tim Duncan.

The 27-year-old Scola is better and younger than Fabricio Oberto, his countryman and the Spurs' starting power forward on the NBA championship team last June. But the Spurs reportedly had some concerns over how he would mesh with Duncan. Yao will certaining enjoy having Scola watching his back.

Reggie Miller
08-31-2007, 09:52 AM
I don't know if it is pointless, so much as fragmented.

Suggestion: Try using a compound sentence structure with two verbs.

Example: ESPN Insider has a "rumor" on the Spurs organization, but I do not have a subscription. Has anyone read it?

This clarifies exactly what the @#$% you meant. Thank you, and have a safe and happy holiday.*

* This segment brought to you by National PTA with a generous grant from the Mom Corporation.

Solid D
08-31-2007, 11:21 AM
This thread is a sad by-product of a growing text-message illiteracy.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-31-2007, 12:16 PM
This thread is a sad by-product of a growing text-message illiteracy.

Ain't that the trufe.

CubanMustGo
08-31-2007, 12:27 PM
It's a link to a Washington Post blurb:

LAS VEGAS - San Antonio's braintrust of R.C. Buford and Gregg Popovich has produced the NBA's model franchise and four championships in the past eight years, so I don't know if it's right for me to doubt it.

The Spurs don't make too many mistakes. The only major blunder I can think of was 2003, when they drafted Leandro Barbosa, the reigning sixth-man of the year, for the Phoenix Suns and passed on Josh Howard, 2007 all-star, in the process (It hasn't hurt too much since they've won two NBA championships since then).

However, after watching Luis Scola playing for Argentina the past week and a half, I am completely stunned that the Spurs traded him - for little more than cap room - and to division rival Houston at that.

Scola is physical, relentless and he can score in a variety of ways, inside and out. He has led Argentina, the 2004 Olympic gold medalists, to a 7-0 record in the FIBA Americas Championship despite the absence of the Spurs' Manu Ginobil, Fabricio Oberto, Charlotte's Walter Hermann, Chicago's Andres Nocioni and former Temple star Pepe Sanchez. He is averaging a team-high 17.8 points and eight rebounds. He had 23 points and 12 rebounds in comeback, overtime win against Brazil on Wednesday.

Too bad the biggest game of this Olympic qualifying tournament between unbeaten Argentina and the United States won't tip off until midnight Eastern time, but it might be worth losing some sleep to check out Scola. "He's a very active player. He does everything and anything," said LeBron James, who has seen Scola up close in the 2004 Olympics in Athens and last summers world championships in Japan. "He continues to get better every summer. He's a very good player and we need to be in tune and keep a bottle on him."

Scola, a 6-foot-9 power forward, won Spanish League MVP last season for Tau Ceramica and has been regarded for some time as the best foreign player to never play in the NBA. That will change when he saddles up to next to Yao Ming this fall. The Spurs may regret that it wasn't Tim Duncan.

The 27-year-old Scola is better and younger than Fabricio Oberto, his countryman and the Spurs' starting power forward on the NBA championship team last June. But the Spurs reportedly had some concerns over how he would mesh with Duncan. Yao will certaining enjoy having Scola watching his back.

San Antonio drafted Scola in the second round in 2002 and they typically draft foreign players and let them play overseas until they need them (i.e. Ginobili and Oberto). They had hoped to sign him two years ago, but he reportedly had a ridiculous $14.5 million buyout, so they chose to sign Oberto instead. Last year, when it became obvious that Scola wouldn't come stateside again, his agent blamed the Spurs and told the San Antonio Express-News that "in the country of liberty, he is being held prisoner."

Much like the situation with Juan Carlos Navarro, Scola's team reduced the buyout to a more amenable $3 million, but the Spurs had already decided to go in a different direction. They selected one of his teammates on Tau Ceramica, Brazilian forward Tiago Splitter, in the first round of the NBA draft (Splitter, by the way, has looked pretty good here, too).

Believing they had a cheaper and younger version of Scola in Splitter, the Spurs helped Scola pursue his dreams of playing in the NBA this summer. They had hoped to keep him out of the Western Conference and had a deal in place with Cleveland. When it didn't work out with the Cavaliers, San Antonio had to settle for the deal it made with Houston, throwing in Jackie Butler, in exchange for Greece's Vassilis Spanoulis - a guard who has sworn off the NBA - a 2009 second-round pick and cash.

Doesn't sound like much - and it isn't. But the move cleared salary cap space to sign 2005 draft pick Ian Mahinmi and a roster spot to sign Ime Udoka.

Scola said he has no hard feelings against the Spurs. "They have an unbelievable team. They are a dynasty," Scola said. "I would've loved to play there, but it changed. I'm in Houston and I'm happy to be there."

With his mind preoccupied with leading Argentina to an automatic berth in Beijing, Scola added that he hasn't given much thought about playing for the Rockets. "I try not to think too much about it," Scola said. "I like to think that I am [ready for the NBA]. But how would I know if I never play there? When this is over on Sunday I can start thinking about NBA. One thing at a time."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2007/08/more_from_vegas.html