PDA

View Full Version : Jags release Leftwich...

florige
08-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Any takers??

midgetonadonkey
08-31-2007, 04:24 PM
I predict he will be either a Raider or Falcon, once it becomes official.

mardigan
08-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Falcon, good call Midge.
I cant believe they released him, I thought he was having a good pre-season?

samikeyp
08-31-2007, 04:28 PM
I agree with Midge...he will be ATL bound.

mardigan
08-31-2007, 04:32 PM
Also, what do you guys think about Detrot? Think they would be intrested?

midgetonadonkey
08-31-2007, 04:34 PM
They could look at him as a backup to Kitna this season. Kitna is getting up there in age so he could be looked at by Millen as a QB of their future.

peewee's lovechild
08-31-2007, 04:43 PM
This caught me by surprise.

They should have drafted Brady Quinn.

peewee's lovechild
08-31-2007, 04:44 PM
I also think ATL will rush to pick him up.

T Park
08-31-2007, 04:47 PM
It'll be a bidding war between Atlanta, Oakland, Detroit, and KC for him.

mardigan
08-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Naw, Oakland is set
But I didnt think about KC, that could be a good fit as well

BacktoBasics
08-31-2007, 04:52 PM
This came out of leftwich field

T Park
08-31-2007, 04:54 PM
Naw, Oakland is set

maybe

I didn't think about Tampa Bay.

Gruden may want another for that all important 5th QB.

mardigan
08-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Strahan just ended his holdout as well

mardigan
08-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Jaguars set to let go of QB Leftwich
Aug. 31, 2007
CBSSports.com staff and wire reports

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Jaguars are parting ways with quarterback Byron Leftwich after four frustrating, injury-filled seasons.

The news was first reported by CBSSports.com senior writer Pete Prisco.

Coach Jack Del Rio said Friday the team plans to trade or release the former first-round draft pick. Del Rio also named mobile backup David Garrard his starter heading into next week's season opener, believing Garrard gives the team a better chance to win.

Garrard outplayed Leftwich in the preseason, completing 36 of 47 passes for 456 yards and a touchdown. He also ran for a score. But his numbers came primarily against second-team defenses.

"It's bittersweet news," said Garrard, who has started 18 games in five years as a backup in Jacksonville. "I'm definitely shocked. I didn't see this happening. I'm beyond shocked. I really feel like this is a dream, but I know it's not and I know I'm ready."

Leftwich, who missed 10 games last season because of an ankle injury, was 19-of-38 passing for 226 yards and a touchdown in three preseason games. He misfired on several passes, badly overthrew Dennis Northcutt on two deep routes against Green Bay and continued to show messy mechanics with his feet and throwing motion.

Making the decision easier, Leftwich hasn't played a full season since being the seventh overall selection in the 2003 draft. But the former Marshall star felt he was in the best shape of his life following ankle surgery and a rigid offseason conditioning program.

Del Rio seemed to agree, naming Leftwich his starter in February and backing him every day since -- until now.

Leftwich was in the final year of his contract, so releasing him would not cost the team anything extra against the salary cap in 2007.

But it would leave the Jags with little room for injury at that position. Third-string Quinn Gray, who played well in the preseason finale after missing most of camp because of a sprained ankle, will move into the No. 2 spot.

Leftwich has completed nearly 59 percent of his passes for 9,042 yards, with 51 touchdowns and 36 interceptions. He started 13 games as a rookie, then missed two games in 2004 with an injured left knee.

He missed five games the following year because of his oft-injured left ankle. He returned to the starting lineup in the playoffs, but played poorly in a loss.

Garrard, 10-8 as a starter, has completed 58 percent of his passes for 3,543 yards, with 18 touchdowns and 13 interceptions.

"I'm sure it will be tough for a lot of guys," Garrard said. "The timing of it was really weird. ... It was tough for me, too. But I've been given the opportunity to lead this team and I want to make sure I do it."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006-2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10326672

dallaskd
08-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Huge break for Atlanta. I guess they think Garrad(if thats correct) is the real deal. i wouldnt have done it...

T Park
08-31-2007, 05:55 PM
im not a huge Garrard fan myself.

Honestly why back the guy for months then just a week before the season decided to go stupid and dump him...

TheTruth
08-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Because he's looked terrible in the preseason and Garrard has looked good. Garrard is 10-8 as a starter. MJD and Taylor just had their stock skyrocket in FF. They are gonna touch the ball 40 times between the two.

Craig
08-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Tampa Bay could use him. Who couldn't use 5 QBs?

Whisky Dog
09-01-2007, 02:14 AM
im not a huge Garrard fan myself.

Honestly why back the guy for months then just a week before the season decided to go stupid and dump him...

Leftwich has shown no history of having what it takes to lead a winner, and his completion percentage for the PS was 50%. He looked horrible and is completely immobile. I don't think ATL's O Line is good enough to make this guy work. I don't think anybody's is.

florige
09-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Sucks to be Atl right now. You go from probably one of most mobile, electricfying QB's of modern times, to this injury prone, non-mobile QB. But you guys are right, Leftwich might as well start practicing the dirtybird in the mirror at his house. He's either Atl bound, or like T-Park said will end up in TB with Gruden's QB mess.

peewee's lovechild
09-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Good point about KC.

I hadn't thought about that.

I might pick up Leftwich as a back up player for my fantasy team.

Condemned 2 HelLA
09-01-2007, 04:53 PM
As a Jags fan, this was both surprising yet anti-climactic.
I had read the day before that perhaps third stringer Quinn Gray was going to get the ax, and the team were toying around with the idea of only carrying two qbs.
I liked Leftwich. Dude is as tough as they come, but he wasn't the most nimble player either, and as posted earlier, he never made it through a full season w/o landing on the injured list. Must've learned that from Fred Taylor.
Word was that Jack Del Rio and Leftwich were really never on the same page from day one, but even still, it WAS a real punk move to keep saying that Byron was his guy for the past 6 months, then pulling the rug out from under him one week before the season gets underway.
Best of luck to him (except for when his new team goes up against J-ville).

mardigan
09-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Its official, he is a free agent

http://www.jaguars.com/News/Article.aspx?id=6279

DNS Error
09-01-2007, 07:23 PM
will they give him 7?

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Not interested in Jags' Leftwich

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 09/01/07

The Falcons could not officially comment on potential interest on Jaguars quarterback Byron Leftwich, who could be released or traded in the near future, because Leftwich remains Jacksonville's property. However, Atlanta will not pursue Leftwich via trade or through free agency, a team official confirmed.

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said Friday afternoon that Leftwich would no longer be their starter and that the four-year veteran's tenure with the team would be coming to an end.

The Falcons are in the market for someone to compete for the No. 3 quarterback job behind starter Joey Harrington and backup Chris Redman. Casey Bramlet currently is the third quarterback on the roster.

The team plans to wait until after leaguewide cuts today to see whether it wants to claim a player off waivers. Some possible candidates include Washington's Mark Brunell and Oakland's Andrew Walter.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/09/01/falnotes_0901.html

BacktoBasics
09-03-2007, 09:56 AM
The next Tim Couch???

T Park
09-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Supposedly Baltimore is gonna sign him :wtf

DNS Error
09-03-2007, 10:03 PM
why? i know mcnair is almost at the end...but boller is not the answer and Smith is not ready, but he will be imo when steve retires...why bring him in..

T Park
09-03-2007, 10:29 PM
I think you answered it.

They view him as another Air Mcnair.

IMO leftwich is a decent to good QB.

Bad move IMO by Jville.

Hopefully when they move to SA we wont pay for it :)

monosylab1k
09-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Horrible move by Jacksonville IMO. I've never been the least bit impressed with Garrard. Leftwich's injury history was his one real downfall....he was developing some real chemistry with Matt Jones & Reggie Williams but then he got hurt. Garrard has no chemistry with his WR's whatsoever, all he ever did was dump it off to MJD.