PDA

View Full Version : Selig says Cooper should be Astros manager

mardigan
08-31-2007, 04:51 PM
Selig endorses Cecil Cooper for Astros manager
Posted: Thursday Aug 30, 2007 5:18 PM

HOUSTON (AP) -Baseball commissioner Bud Selig would like to see Cecil Cooper hired permanently as manager of the Houston Astros.

Cooper was named interim manager of the Astros after Phil Garner was fired on Monday.

In an interview with Houston television station KRIV, Selig said Cooper has earned the opportunity to be retained as permanent manager. When Selig owned the Milwaukee Brewers, Cooper played for him from 1977-87.

Baseball has received considerable criticism in recent years for its lack of black players and managers.

Having another black manager is important for baseball, Selig said.

The 49-year-old Cooper is the 14th black manager in the history of major league baseball, and one of three currently managing a big league team. Ron Washington of the Texas Rangers and Willie Randolph with the New York Mets are the others.

In 1975, Frank Robinson became baseball's first black manager when he took over the Cleveland Indians.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/wires/08/30/2010.ap.bbn.selig.astros.manager.0190/

Didnt see this posted, sorrt if I missed it

T Park
08-31-2007, 04:55 PM
If hes good enough he should be.

Not just because hes black.

leemajors
08-31-2007, 05:26 PM
if he does well the rest of the season, give him a shot. most of the games remaining are within the division, so we can at least help ruin some playoff dreams. i think i heard only 5 games remaining are outside of the division on the radio or tv. if we can't get here ourselves, playing spoiler is still entertaining.

T Park
08-31-2007, 05:48 PM
yeah spank the Brewers and Cubs wouldya :)

Melmart1
08-31-2007, 07:29 PM
Bud Selig is a tool. He needs to keep his mouth shut. The Astros should not be under any public or commish-related pressure to hire someone. They need to make that evaluation from within. He keeps mum about important stuff like Barry Bonds then goes and runs his mouth about something he should shutup about? :nope

leemajors
09-01-2007, 10:34 AM
this is from justice's blog:

RJ, I'd like to hear your defense of your boy, Bud, openly endorsing Cooper as manager of the Astros. Is it racist for Selig to endorse a candidate solely because of his skin color? I'm sure you'll say it has something to do with his days in Brewerland but we both know that's not the reason. I know you pray at the alter of Bud, this is indefensible - as are so many actions of his.--Chris

Bud Selig loves Cecil Cooper. He has talked him up to me for years and has pushed him for the Hall of Fame. He believes he was overshadowed by guys like Don Mattingly, who weren't better players. He also knows the guy personally. Cecil Cooper is held in very, very high esteem by his former teammates. He's really, really remarkable. Very smart. Very qualified. He has some of that Frank Robinson persona.

If you saw the dignity with which he carried himself, you'd probably guess he was a terrific player. He commands respect without saying much. Trust me, his personality will play well in the clubhouse. He should have gotten a chance years ago, but didn't, in part, because he considered it beneath him to campaign the way, say, Tommy Lasorda did.

I'm so happy that someone has given him a shot. I felt the same way about Phil Garner in 2004. His record in Milwaukee and Detroit didn't reflect his competence, and he, too, deserved another shot.

I believe I actually recommended Cecil Cooper for the manager's job with the Astros before the commissioner did. Is race a factor? Sure, it is. We're all adults here. We can say it. Racial fairness is a legitimate issue, especially because the Astros have done a poor job of drafting African-Americans.

Bud Selig has been upfront about pushing minority candidates. Interestingly, Cooper has declined to talk about this part of the story. He simply won't touch it, and believe me, I've tried to get him to touch it.

Selig requires teams to interview minority candidates for GM and managerial openings. Some people are uncomfortable with affirmative action laws. They're frightened when people who don't look and sound just like them get jobs. The world has changed, my friend. You're going to have to deal it. God forbid, we may even have a black GM running of our teams someday. Won't that stir things up?