PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post: Scola trade a blunder by Spurs

Booharv
08-31-2007, 06:13 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted, here's a snippet:

"San Antonio's braintrust of R.C. Buford and Gregg Popovich has produced the NBA's model franchise and four championships in the past eight years, so I don't know if it's right for me to doubt it.
The Spurs don't make too many mistakes. The only major blunder I can think of was 2003, when they drafted Leandro Barbosa, the reigning sixth-man of the year, for the Phoenix Suns and passed on Josh Howard, 2007 all-star, in the process (It hasn't hurt too much since they've won two NBA championships since then).

However, after watching Luis Scola playing for Argentina the past week and a half, I am completely stunned that the Spurs traded him -- for little more than cap room -- and to division rival Houston at that."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2007/08/more_from_vegas.html

ChumpDumper
08-31-2007, 06:14 PM
You are sorry.

Booharv
08-31-2007, 06:17 PM
You are sorry.

?

ChumpDumper
08-31-2007, 06:18 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76860

E20
08-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Actually it shows that subscribing to ESPN insider is a waste of money, because you can get the same info elsewhere for free.

rr2418
09-01-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm starting to believe that the FO made a "huge" blunder in trading Scola. From a fan point of view he would've appeared to be great addition playing alongside TD. I've only seen him play a couple of times, but what I've heard he's a beast around the paint. I could only hope that he finds adjusting to the NBA difficult.

Demo Dick Marcinko
09-01-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm starting to believe that the FO made a "huge" blunder in trading Scola. From a fan point of view he would've appeared to be great addition playing alongside TD. I've only seen him play a couple of times, but what I've heard he's a beast around the paint. I could only hope that he finds adjusting to the NBA difficult.

Probably was a blunder. But Scola is now a rocket. Can't cry over spilt milk anymore. I'm hoping that once we get Splitter his game continues to develop and improve and that will take some of the edge off.

Amuseddaysleeper
09-01-2007, 02:53 AM
This has potential to be the biggest FA blunder of the last 10 years for the Spurs organization.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Whisky Dog
09-01-2007, 04:19 AM
After having Splitter fall to them the Spurs FO looked at what they had and decided that Splitter's talents of defense, rebounding, and being a young kid at 22 were more of what they were looking for in a PF (or C) next to Duncan. They chose Splitter's attributes over Scola's inside scoring, mainly because Scola isn't a very good rebounder or defender and is several years older than Splitter.

Did they make the right decision? Time will tell, but you can't say they gave up Scola for nothing. They gave up Scola because they had just picked up the rights to a player they wanted more for his spot. There's only so many spots and so much money to go around, so you basically have to choose what is best for the overall team performance.

Whisky Dog
09-01-2007, 04:21 AM
This has potential to be the biggest FA blunder of the last 10 years for the Spurs organization.

Getting rid of Scola will never be a bigger mistake than letting Josh Howard slip through your fingers to your biggest division rival. Howard would have been a nice piece on this team over the last few years, where Scola is very questionable.

Fast Dunk
09-01-2007, 05:21 AM

It WILL

WalterBenitez
09-01-2007, 07:33 AM
It will hurt if Scola has decent career in Rockets

td4mvp3
09-01-2007, 07:45 AM
it's getting to the point that the scola complaining is becoming the spur fans equivalent of the suns complaints about horry/suspensions. they traded the guy, he might be pretty solid, it has happened in the past, championships were won anyway, not the end of the world.

SequSpur
09-01-2007, 09:52 AM
wtf is a blunder?

Mister Sinister
09-01-2007, 10:26 AM
wtf is a blunder?
A fuck-up.

Switchman
09-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Losing out on Nocioni. :depressed

ArgSpursFan
09-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Losing out on Nocioni.

ouch,that hurts too.

nfg3
09-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Getting rid of Scola will never be a bigger mistake than letting Josh Howard slip through your fingers to your biggest division rival. Howard would have been a nice piece on this team over the last few years, where Scola is very questionable.

Ditto! Now that was a big mistake by the Spurs. Howard would have been a very good addition and would have filled in nicely for Bowen. The reason I've heard that the FO didn't draft him was because he was too much like Manu and they didn't need another SG in his image. I rather thought he would be a SF and back up Bowen.

OOPS!

I've moved on from that and will do so with this one. The proof will be evident in the next couple of years. We'll see who is who.

K-State Spur
09-01-2007, 11:34 AM

actually, as has been discussed, his value would have been in backing up duncan. when he's at his most effective, it's in occupying the same spots on the floor that tim already does. so it remains to be seen (and now we'll never know) how effective they would have been playing together.

lefty
10-31-2011, 12:10 AM
:lol

Venti Quattro
10-31-2011, 12:10 AM
So a "friend" of mine owes me money. He came over to my house the other day and soliticted my help. He said there was 10 bucks in it for me if I did 3 loads of laundry and washed all his dishes. I did it as fast as I could, about 2 hours after he asked, it was done. He was running out of tobacco, so I gave him the rest of my tobacco because he's a heavier smoker than I am. A little short on cash around this time of the month, he promised me that he'd have the money to me the next day. This was on Sunday. So, theoretically, by Monday I should have the money.

He says that he didn't get his check on Monday. Okay, I said, and I left it at that. I ask him again today, he says he has his check is here but he needs to get to the bank. Okay, I said, again. Tonight I go over to his apartment and he procedes to tell me that he spent my 10 dollars on something "we (his other friends) got some stuff and he didn't have the 10 dollars to pay me back." So he promises me the ten dollars on Wednesday. I have a busy day tomorrow so I won't find out until 4PM tomorrow if he's lying to me. He tells me to get a job because I don't make enough money. Well, if he'd pay me...

I've given a lot to this guy. He got meals at my apartment at least twice a week for six months last year. He didn't have cable so I let him watch whatever he wanted to watch, let him stay in my apartment from 6AM to 10PM every night and he was the one who left. When I went away on trips, he sometimes would have a key to let himself in. I subsequently found my VCR broken (brand-new). I even financed a tattoo about a year ago and it took him 8 months to get me 70 dollars for it. I even paid for the cream to keep it from becoming infected.

I want this "friend" out of my life. He's a user and he's found that the milk has gone sour on me so he's keeping other people a priority now that I don't have the cash to support his many habits. Because I don't get pissed and angry and curse in his face, he thinks I'm a pushoever. Some "friend."

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Do you do this to other people?

TDMVPDPOY
10-31-2011, 12:38 AM
the biggest blunder is the jax fiasco, not the already mention names in here....

scola, barbosa and howard dont mean shit to this team, whether we missed out or what couldve happen...cause we won 2 championships 05+07...

imo shouldve given jax the money he wanted, instead of havin one year rentals of shit in turgolue and whoever was signed that year for 1yr rentals...

baseline bum
10-31-2011, 12:48 AM

Well, so much for that. :lol

Koolaid_Man
10-31-2011, 06:15 AM
So a "friend" of mine owes me money. He came over to my house the other day and soliticted my help. He said there was 10 bucks in it for me if I did 3 loads of laundry and washed all his dishes. I did it as fast as I could, about 2 hours after he asked, it was done. He was running out of tobacco, so I gave him the rest of my tobacco because he's a heavier smoker than I am. A little short on cash around this time of the month, he promised me that he'd have the money to me the next day. This was on Sunday. So, theoretically, by Monday I should have the money.

He says that he didn't get his check on Monday. Okay, I said, and I left it at that. I ask him again today, he says he has his check is here but he needs to get to the bank. Okay, I said, again. Tonight I go over to his apartment and he procedes to tell me that he spent my 10 dollars on something "we (his other friends) got some stuff and he didn't have the 10 dollars to pay me back." So he promises me the ten dollars on Wednesday. I have a busy day tomorrow so I won't find out until 4PM tomorrow if he's lying to me. He tells me to get a job because I don't make enough money. Well, if he'd pay me...

I've given a lot to this guy. He got meals at my apartment at least twice a week for six months last year. He didn't have cable so I let him watch whatever he wanted to watch, let him stay in my apartment from 6AM to 10PM every night and he was the one who left. When I went away on trips, he sometimes would have a key to let himself in. I subsequently found my VCR broken (brand-new). I even financed a tattoo about a year ago and it took him 8 months to get me 70 dollars for it. I even paid for the cream to keep it from becoming infected.

I want this "friend" out of my life. He's a user and he's found that the milk has gone sour on me so he's keeping other people a priority now that I don't have the cash to support his many habits. Because I don't get pissed and angry and curse in his face, he thinks I'm a pushoever. Some "friend."

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Do you do this to other people?

Timmy might know...He lived with his college roommate for I'm thinking 10 yrs after he left college. He called the guy his personal assitant...yep he would know for sure....

SpursNextRomanEmpire
10-31-2011, 02:05 PM
:lol

Koolaid_Man
10-31-2011, 06:21 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted, here's a snippet:

"San Antonio's braintrust of R.C. Buford and Gregg Popovich has produced the NBA's model franchise and four championships in the past eight years, so I don't know if it's right for me to doubt it.
The Spurs don't make too many mistakes. The only major blunder I can think of was 2003, when they drafted Leandro Barbosa, the reigning sixth-man of the year, for the Phoenix Suns and passed on Josh Howard, 2007 all-star, in the process (It hasn't hurt too much since they've won two NBA championships since then).

However, after watching Luis Scola playing for Argentina the past week and a half, I am completely stunned that the Spurs traded him -- for little more than cap room -- and to division rival Houston at that."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2007/08/more_from_vegas.html

they're ok...anytime a player his size let's a guard do this then trust me they made the right decision.

B9E6rfgWpzY

MmP
10-31-2011, 07:23 PM
Derek always classy...
Scola floped of course, but he got him out the game for that.

Indazone
11-01-2011, 12:18 AM

It came to that :toast