PDA

View Full Version : Prayers to Juan Encarnacion

T Park
08-31-2007, 09:21 PM
was on deck pinch hitting and got a foul ball square off the eye, left side of the face area.

This ball had to be going 110 plus.

Prayers that Juan is ok. He was helped off, and seem to stumble off, but still, hope hes ok.

JMarkJohns
08-31-2007, 09:24 PM
Geez... Terrible. I do hope he's going to be fine.

T Park
08-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Update

taken to local hospital with left eye are and left eye injury.

Does not sound good :depressed

T Park
09-01-2007, 01:20 AM
ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Juan Encarnacion of the St. Louis Cardinals was taken to a hospital Friday night after being struck on the left eye by a foul ball while waiting in the on-deck circle, leaving teammates shaken.

Encarnacion, who was about to pinch hit in the sixth inning, had no time to react when Aaron Miles was late on an 0-1 pitch from Cincinnati Reds left-hander Jon Coutlangus. He was down for several minutes, blood dripping from his nose, before two trainers helped him off the field.

\
Manager Tony La Russa said the team was awaiting a medical report. The clubhouse was quiet even after a come-from-behind 8-5 victory keyed by Rick Ankiel's first career grand slam.

"The ball hit him square in the eye," La Russa said. "I've seen guys smoked in the dome but not dead center. We've got our fingers crossed and nobody's celebrating, that's for sure."

Teammate Jim Edmonds was shaken after the incident. He helped assist Encarnacion to the clubhouse and noticed no improvement during that time.

"It's about as bad as it gets as far as what you can see on a baseball field," Edmonds said. "I think it's everybody's biggest fear.

"That's why there's so many arguments and fights, over balls being thrown up and in. It's scary."

The ball struck Encarnacion with enough force that it rolled several feet in the opposite direction. After fouling off the pitch, Miles looked over and saw that Encarnacion was down.

Encarnacion, who missed the first 1 1/2 months recovering from wrist surgery, is batting .283 with nine home runs and 47 RBIs.

"That's a scary thing," Miles said. "It's not a good feeling, and you've got to know that it comes with the territory of being in the vicinity -- fans included too. It's dangerous, and I just hope he's all right."

Ankiel narrowly missed getting struck by a foul ball during his at-bat in the eighth when David Eckstein swung late on a pitch.

"David hit one pretty close," Ankiel said. "I don't ever remember being struck by a foul ball, knock on wood."

Not to be callous, but I would be shocked if Juan Encarnacion doesn't have damage to his eye.

It supposedly hit him dead on the eye.

Prayers be with JuanE.

T Park
09-01-2007, 12:11 PM
This is the update this morning from the Cardinals. Unfortunately it's pretty much what all of cardinal nation feared...

Cardinals outfielder Juan Encarnacion will miss the remainder of the season with multiple fractures of his left eye socket and a serious injury to his left eye, the team announced Saturday morning. Encarnacion’s long-term prognosis is undetermined as remains in a local hospital receiving care, but the injuries could be classified as career-threatening.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Dang.

TheTruth
09-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Something needs to be done about the on deck batters and the coaches. They are never paying attention to the at bat and those balls jump off the bat over 100 mph.

Get well Juan. Loved you when you were a Red.

leemajors
10-13-2007, 09:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3061870

St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Juan Encarnacion, who crumpled to the grass after being struck by a foul ball in the on-deck circle on Aug. 31, has reportedly regained only 20/400 vision in his left eye.

that really sucks.

T Park
10-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Supposedly thats all he will have.

The inerim GM pretty much said his career is over. :depressed

I liked JuanE, good hitter, but a good guy on top of it. Cardinals year continues to be the same, bad news after bad news...