PDA

View Full Version : Pats' Rodney Harrison Suspended 4 Games

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-31-2007, 10:30 PM
NFL suspends Patriots' Harrison for first four games
Associated Press

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The NFL on Friday suspended New England Patriots safety Rodney Harrison for the first four games of the regular season for violating the league policy on performance enhancing substances.

Patriots safety Rodney Harrison has started just 13 games the past two seasons while struggling with a variety of injuries.

Harrison spoke with reporters on a hastily announced conference call Friday evening, an hour before the league officially suspended him without pay.

"Tomorrow, the commissioner will announce that I've been suspended," a somber Harrison said.

Although the hard-hitting safety said he has never used steroids, "I did admit to the commissioner that I did, in fact, use a banned substance."

"My purpose was never to gain a competitive edge," he added. "Rather, my use was to accelerate the process of recovering from injuries."

Harrison's suspension begins immediately. He is eligible to return to the Patriots' active roster on Oct. 2, following the team's Monday night game against Cincinnati.

The suspension was first reported by ESPN.com, which said Harrison admitted to federal investigators that he obtained human growth hormone. Harrison did not take questions about the details of the suspension.

ESPN said Harrison met with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Friday. The league does not comment on suspensions for violation of its substance abuse policy.

Although the Patriots set up the conference call with Harrison, a spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment from the team.

Harrison's name came up in federal and New York state investigations into an Internet pharmaceutical distribution ring for steroids and other performance enhancers, ESPN reported.

However, Harrison said he "wanted to make it clear that I have never used steroids."

The Patriots will be without their Pro Bowl safety for one of their toughest and most crucial stretches of the season. New England opens up at the New York Jets, followed by home games vs. San Diego and Buffalo and at Cincinatti.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d801fd1d3&template=without-video&confirm=true

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-31-2007, 10:58 PM
It was HGH.

Whisky Dog
09-01-2007, 02:11 AM
"My purpose was never to gain a competitive edge," he added. "Rather, my use was to accelerate the process of recovering from injuries."

Rodney, that would be a competitive advantage. Someone needs to explain that to you buddy.

Whisky Dog
09-01-2007, 02:11 AM
I'd also like to add,

:rollin :rollin :lmao :lmao :lmao

scott
09-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Also suspended... Cowboys QB Coach Wade Wilson... ???

TheSanityAnnex
09-01-2007, 11:45 AM
New England Patriots safety Rodney Harrison will be suspended by the NFL for four games because he admitted to federal investigators that he obtained Human Growth Hormone, sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Harrison had a hearing with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Friday, the sources said. The Patriots could announce the suspension as early as Saturday.

A league spokesman said the NFL had "no comment" about Harrison, who also could not be reached. Efforts to reach the Patriots were unsuccessful.

The admission by Harrison has never been made public but his name was among those known to federal and New York state investigators that conducted a two-year investigation into an Internet pharmaceutical distribution ring for steroids and other performance enhancers such as HGH.

Investigators have discovered several athletes across many sports whose names were linked in the probe. Sources say at least one NFL assistant also has been questioned.

Chris Mortensen is an NFL analyst for ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2999994

leemajors
09-01-2007, 12:36 PM
if it can't be tested for, why admit it? they must have had receipts with his name or something.

TheSanityAnnex
09-01-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm pretty sure he bought them off of an undercover government agent.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-01-2007, 12:58 PM
I'm pretty sure he bought them off of an undercover government agent.

The admission by Harrison has never been made public but his name was among those known to federal and New York state investigators that conducted a two-year investigation into an Internet pharmaceutical distribution ring for steroids and other performance enhancers such as HGH.

Or somebody didn't burn their records.

My guess is by admitting it, the NFL held back greater punishments and Rodney avoids the publicity crunch if and when the news came out.