View Full Version : Wizards Butler Thinks They Can Win A Championship

duncan228
08-31-2007, 10:47 PM
This season.
He also calls Kobe "The best player in the game right now."

http://www.nba.com/wizards/news/butlerQA_070830.html

Q&A with Wizards All-Star Forward Caron Butler
By Daren Jenkins, Special to WashingtonWizards.com

Wizards All-Star forward Caron Butler sat down with WashingtonWizards.com to discuss a variety of topics including his recovery from his season ending injury, new teammates and his work in the community.

Q: Everyone wants to know how has the injury to your hand recovered?
CB: My hand is feeling good. I am back to full contact. I am playing pickup ball at Verizon Center or Barry Farms, so I am back to full strength.

Q: What aspects of your game did you look to improve on during this off-season?
CB: I worked on my shooting and my range. I also have been working on my ball handling and my conditioning so I will be in top shape when training camp begins.

Q: What can Wizards fans expect from the team this season?
CB: If we are healthy a championship. That is a main goal, we are trying to win a championship and I think we have the chemistry to do it.

Q: You have been playing in pickup games with your new teammates Dominic McGuire, Nick Young and Oleksiy Pecherov. What are your early impressions of them?
CB: They look good. They all bring different intangibles to the court. Dominic McGuire is a hard-nosed player that plays both ends of the floor. Nick Young is an exciting player, an up and coming star. I love Pecherov’s game; he is relentless on the glass and he does all the little things.

Q: What player on the team do you think will surprise people the most this season?
CB: Honestly besides myself, I think a little bit of everybody. Everyone on this team took it personal being swept by Cleveland in the playoffs last season. We are ready to come out with a vengeance. We are ready to prove the doubters wrong because they are not even talking about us right now.

Q: You won the NBA Community Assist Award for the month of June. What does that mean to you?
CB: It means a lot because all of the hard work is being noticed by the NBA and my peers. This is something I have been doing for the six years I have been in the NBA. I enjoy giving back to my community in Racine, Wisconsin, and the communities I play in.

Q: You were in Las Vegas recently and watched the USA men’s basketball team play. What is the difference from last year’s team?
CB: Kobe Bryant. He is another dynamic force, the best player in the game right now. Once they added him to the team they were going to get better and it shows.

Q: You mentioned playing pickup at Barry Farms in Washington, D.C. earlier. What is the atmosphere like when you and some of your teammates play there?
CB: It is fun. The environment is great. There are a ton of fans there every time we play. The fans have an opportunity to vibe with us. It is a real hands on experience at Barry Farms and the fans love it.

Q: Your busy summer included investments in several Burger King Restaurants. How did that come about?
CB: My main goal was to try to expand outside of basketball and diversify myself. There is life outside of basketball and I don’t want to be viewed as just a basketball player. This was the perfect investment opportunity for me and I took advantage of it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-31-2007, 10:48 PM
That's worth a chuckle.

lefty
09-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Wow, apparently, there are people more stupid than Amare Stoudemire....

Amuseddaysleeper
09-01-2007, 02:50 AM
well, what's he supposed to say?

"I think, if healthy, we should go out in the first round, after a hard fought series"

hell, even if you asked Oden where the Blazers should be by seasons end, he's gonna mention a shot at the ring.

mavs>spurs2
09-01-2007, 03:45 AM
At least he's half right

MrChug
09-01-2007, 12:13 PM
I see nothing really wrong with his interview.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-01-2007, 01:40 PM
A healthy Wizards team would have greatly altered the EC playoffs last season.

lordswing
09-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Silly to post this, all competitive guys want the championship. I'd be fucking pissed if he said he can't wait to go fishing.

duncan228
09-01-2007, 05:02 PM
I would think every NBA player wants a championship. I have no problem with him wanting it, or with that being the goal. It should be.

It's the way he phrased it that I thought was over the top. There's no way anyone can think the Wizards are a true contender this season. Too many teams in the East are stronger and that's not even mentioning the West.

He could have said it differently IMO.
"Our goal is a championship and we're working towards that. Our chemistry is great and we feel we're competitive."

Those are the words he used in a different order. The question asked was what could the fans expect from the team this year.

I don't think his answer should have been a championship, even with the condition of being healthy. Wizard fans can't expect a championship this season. They can expect their team to work towards it.

icem
09-01-2007, 10:22 PM
maybe, if they played phoenix in the finals. :spin