PDA

View Full Version : If my Sooners could just get jobs...

scott
09-01-2007, 08:25 AM
They wouldn't have to steal gas.

OU freshman football player Ryan Broyles was arrested for allegedly attempting to steal gasoline from a convenience store pump early today, Norman police confirmed.

Broyles, 19, was booked into the Cleveland County Detention Center at 12:10 a.m. Friday on attempted larceny charges. He was released at 3:44 a.m. after posting $200 cash bond, according to a sheriff’s captain.

Norman Police Capt. Leonard Judy said a Norman officer was on routine patrol on East Alameda about midnight. The officer noticed a vehicle parked at the gas pumps at Mr. Shortstop which was closed.

“He observed a male subject standing between gas pumps and an SUV. He pulled into investigate,” Judy said.

Judy said that there was a key inserted into the front of the gas pump. “Upon further investigation, it was determiend that Mr. Broyles was in a possession of a key and codes with which the pump could be activated to pump gas,” Judy said.

“He determined that Mr. Broyles was not an employee and had not been an employee of Mr. Shortstop,” Judy said. He was then arrested for attempted larceny.

OU officials said they were aware of the incident and were expected to comment on Broyles’ status later today.

Broyles was an all-state selection at Norman High School last season. He had 44 receptions of 908 yards and rushed for 345. He also scored 20 touchdowns.

Broyles was listed as the second-team wide receiver on OU’s depth chart for Saturday’s season opener against North Texas.

Sooner coaches have praised him since preseason practices began.

“He’s one of those guys, I don’t know how to say it, he’s like a gamer,” OU coach Bob Stoops said. “When he’s in practices and scrimmages he just shows up. He knows how to find the open space, catches the ball well. He just has a knack for getting himself in the right positions, finding the right hole to get the ball. He just has a good feel on the field.”

Broyles was the centerpiece of recruiting saga involving OU and Oklahoma State last winter. He orally committed to play at Oklahoma State in the fall. But he changed his mind in the week leading up to signing day.

There was so many ways I could have gone with this thread title... I don't know what it is, but this is a funny story to me.

j-6
09-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Yeah, but was it his car or one he's been borrowing all summer?

MajorMike
09-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Poor thing. He HAS to steal gas because they won't let them get paid for not working anymore.

RonMexico
09-02-2007, 04:34 AM
Poor thing. He HAS to steal gas because they won't let them get paid for not working anymore.

You know who else isn't getting paid... JamesOn Curry, because he left after his junior so he could NOT get drafted.