PDA

View Full Version : Pitbull murders kid........again!

lebomb
09-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Sep 1, 1:03 AM EDT

6-year-old boy killed by pet pit bull, police say

DALLAS (AP) -- A 6-year-old boy died Friday after he was mauled by his family's pet pit bull, police said.

Scott Warren was inside his house Friday evening with his 13-year-old sibling when the dog attacked, Dallas police spokesman Sgt. Gil Cerda said. Family members told police the 1-year-old dog did not have a history of aggressive behavior.

"When the mother came inside the house, she saw the dog attacking the 6-year-old and tried to restrain the dog," Cerda said. "By that time, a lot of damage had been done."

Warren was taken to a hospital, where he died, Cerda said.

The fatal mauling comes a day before a new state law takes effect in which dog owners whose pets attack and seriously injure someone could face up to 10 years in prison. In a fatal attack, the sentence could increase to up to 20 years.

Cerda said it's too early to say whether anyone will face criminal charges.

Animal control officers removed the dog from the home. Its fate has not been decided, Cerda said.

"In many of these cases, the dog is normally euthanized," Cerda said.

:depressed

Ronaldo McDonald
09-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Pit Bulls need to pick on their own species

TheSanityAnnex
09-01-2007, 11:51 AM
The fatal mauling comes a day before a new state law takes effect in which dog owners whose pets attack and seriously injure someone could face up to 10 years in prison. In a fatal attack, the sentence could increase to up to 20 years.

About time.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-01-2007, 11:59 AM
About time.

Hopefully it will deter people from buying pits.

TheSanityAnnex
09-01-2007, 12:01 PM
"No breed of dog is inherently vicious, as all breeds of dogs were created and are maintained exclusively to serve and co-exist with humans. The problem exists not within the breed of dog, but rather within the owners that fail to control, supervise, maintain and properly train the breed of dog they choose to keep."

"From 1965 - 2001, there have been at least 36 different breeds/types of dog that have been involved in a fatal attack in the United States. (This number rises to at least 52 breeds/types when surveying fatal attacks worldwide)."

TheSanityAnnex
09-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Hopefully it will deter people from buying pits.Please define "pits". Being that a "pit bull" doesn't actually exist, I'd love to hear your answer.

TheSanityAnnex
09-01-2007, 12:02 PM
2007 Fatalities

1. Texas (January): 10 y.o. girl
2. Missouri (January): 69 y.o. women
3. Virginia (January): 6 y.o. boy
4. Tennessee (January): 18 m.o girl
5. Georgia (February): 2 y.o. girl
6. Texas (March): 50 y.o. women
7. Texas (March): 2 y.o. girl
8. South Carolina (April): toddler
9. Texas (May): 90 y.o. man

You Texans need to learn how to control your dogs.

T Park
09-01-2007, 12:05 PM
you californians need to learn how to trim and water your damn forests.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-01-2007, 12:08 PM
TSA, brother, I guess we each know where the other stands on this. I can't debate it anymore.

SpursWoman
09-01-2007, 12:16 PM
My best friend's son was attacked by my neighbor's dog last weekend when he was trying to scoot the dog over on the couch so he could sit down. He got 10 stitches in his face to sew the flaps back onto his scalp, and one on his eyelid ... and that was a dog they played with all of the time and never showed any kind of aggression. That dog was a German Shephard-ish mutt, I believe.

Off-topic ... why the hell can't you take someone else's child to the emergency room if they need immediate help and you can't get a hold of their parent's? That pretty much blew me away.

TheSanityAnnex
09-01-2007, 12:22 PM
All German Shepardish Mutts should be euthanized.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-01-2007, 12:25 PM
All German Shepardish Mutts should be euthanized.

At least that kid lived.

Jekka
09-01-2007, 12:25 PM
My best friend's son was attacked by my neighbor's dog last weekend when he was trying to scoot the dog over on the couch so he could sit down. He got 10 stitches in his face to sew the flaps back onto his scalp, and one on his eyelid ... and that was a dog they played with all of the time and never showed any kind of aggression. That dog was a German Shephard-ish mutt, I believe.

Off-topic ... why the hell can't you take someone else's child to the emergency room if they need immediate help and you can't get a hold of their parent's? That pretty much blew me away.
Stupid liability issues - I spent a lot of time working in ERs this year and was incredibly annoyed by that. It's because no one but the parent can sign consent forms for treatment, and is something unfortunate happened during treatment then the hospital would be the only ones to blame and they want to cover their asses. I've heard there are concerns about drug allergies as well that only parents may know about.

I've seen consent to be treated in an ER given by phone before - it required the person on the other line to repeat their consent two extra times to witnesses, but it was for an incapacitated adult, not a child.

TheSanityAnnex
09-01-2007, 12:39 PM
At least that kid lived.AT least that dog was properly identified.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-01-2007, 12:40 PM
AT least that dog was properly identified.

German Shepardish is my favorite breed.

TheSanityAnnex
09-01-2007, 12:41 PM
I really wish they'd include pictures with every attack of these so called "pits" so that the dog could be properly identified.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-01-2007, 12:42 PM
No offense to the AP, but here's a story with a little more info including more on that new law.

------------

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/090107dnmetdogattack.3565d97.html

Boy, 6, dies after pit bull mauling

Pleasant Grove: Criminal charges not filed so far; animal was family pet

11:06 PM CDT on Friday, August 31, 2007

By HOLLY YAN / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

A 6-year-old boy was mauled to death by a pit bull Friday evening in a Pleasant Grove neighborhood.

Dallas police Sgt. Gil Cerda said that Scott Warren was inside his home when the family's 1-year-old dog attacked at about 6 p.m. on the 1900 block of Prichard Lane. Scott died while en route to Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

"The mother was apparently outside," Sgt. Cerda said. "When she came in, she saw the dog mauling the child."

Sgt. Cerda said that the mother was cooperating with authorities and that no criminal charges had been filed Friday night.

The attack came only a day before the start of a new Texas law that allows felony charges to be filed against the owner of a dog that kills or seriously injures someone. The law, one of the stiffest in the nation, can mean prison sentences for owners found to be negligent or who have dogs known to be dangerous.

Named Lillian's Law, the legislation was sparked by the 2005 fatal mauling of 76-year-old Lillian Stiles by six pit bull-Rottweiler mixes in Central Texas. A pit bull was also responsible for killing a 10-year-old girl in San Antonio earlier this year.

The pit bull responsible for Friday's attack was taken away from the house by Dallas animal control officers. Neighbors said that Scott's family had moved in only about four months ago, but that their dogs had already become a nuisance.

One neighbor, Rudy Lopez, said he saw a woman beating one of the dogs a few weeks ago with a shovel after it was involved in a fight with another dog. Another, Anthony Mack, said that he couldn't understand why a child would be left inside with one of the animals.

Staff writer Paul Meyer contributed to this report.
ABOUT THE NEW LAW

Under Lillian's Law, which was enacted this year and goes into effect today, the owner of a dangerous dog may face felony charges in one of two ways:

• A dog's unprovoked attack away from its owner's property kills someone, permanently disfigures a person or destroys or impairs a body part or organ. A previous attack by the dog isn't required, but prosecutors must prove the owner was criminally negligent in failing to secure the animal – not heeding a "substantial and unjustifiable risk."

• The owner knows the dog has previously injured someone or been deemed dangerous by authorities, and the dog makes an unprovoked attack outside its enclosure causing death or injury requiring hospitalization.

In either situation, the offense is a third-degree felony with punishment of two to 10 years in prison. In the case of a death, the charge is a second-degree felony, punishable by two to 20 years in prison.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-01-2007, 12:44 PM
I really wish they'd include pictures with every attack of these so called "pits" so that the dog could be properly identified.

You make a good point. Reading the DMN's story, it seems as though the animal control officials brought in are public employees, which would make their reports and any photos (which I would assume they take?) a matter of public record.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-01-2007, 12:46 PM
A question for UTSA's finest: Isn't murder the killing of a human by another human?

TheSanityAnnex
09-01-2007, 12:48 PM
You make a good point. Reading the DMN's story, it seems as though the animal control officials brought in are public employees, which would make their reports and any photos (which I would assume they take?) a matter of public record.
I'm all for killing dogs that attack and punishing the owners of these dogs, but at least get the breed correct. "pit bulls" don't even exist, and how broad of a term is "pit bull type".

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-01-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm all for killing dogs that attack and punishing the owners of these dogs, but at least get the breed correct. "pit bulls" don't even exist, and how broad of a term is "pit bull type".

I don't have a Webster's New World College Dictionary lying around, but here's the AP's entry on animals.

... For breed names, follow the spelling and capitalization in Webster's New World College Dictionary. For breeds not listed in the dictionary, capitalize words derived from proper nouns; use lowercase elsewhere: basset hound, Boston terrier.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-01-2007, 12:54 PM

TSA, does it not exist because it's not recognized by AKC or because they weren't consistent in creating the breed? It's fairly obvious to me when I see a pitbull and there are a ton of folks breeding and selling dogs as pitbulls. Is that all false advertising on the part of the breeders?

Just curious. I'm not picking a fight...enlighten me.

Switchman
09-01-2007, 12:57 PM
My grandmothers poodle once bit me on the nose.

lil'mo
09-01-2007, 01:25 PM
pit bulls are just evening the score. what about all those bastard kids who are beating up/using as pinatas/decapatating poor defenseless dogs?

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-01-2007, 01:32 PM
pit bulls are just evening the score. what about all those bastard kids who are beating up/using as pinatas/decapatating poor defenseless dogs?

It shouldn't be, but that was funny.

Kori Ellis
09-01-2007, 01:33 PM

It's always been like that. When I was a kid, I split open my head pretty badly at the post office. I was with my aunt, who was around 18 or 19 years old.

She took me to ER (well first she took me to a vet, but that's another part of the story) and they refused to stitch me until my grandparents (guardians) got there.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-01-2007, 01:34 PM
She took me to ER (well first she took me to a vet,

Alright, I'm not letting you get away with that one.

Kori Ellis
09-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Alright, I'm not letting you get away with that one.

:lol

We were somewhere not near our house. She didn't know any doctors/hospitals in the neighborhood. But she thought she had seen a clinic right up the street from the post office. So, she drove there very quick, parked without really looking and carried me bleeding into the office, screaming that I needed help. ... And they said, umm.. we are a vet clinic.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-01-2007, 01:39 PM

We were somewhere not near our house. She didn't know any doctors/hospitals in the neighborhood. But she thought she had seen a clinic right up the street from the post office. So, she drove there very quick, parked without really looking and carried me bleeding into the office, screaming that I needed help. ... And they said, umm.. we are a vet clinic.

That's understandable... I originally had it pegged for something meth-related or something.

Samr
09-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Stupid liability issues - I spent a lot of time working in ERs this year and was incredibly annoyed by that. It's because no one but the parent can sign consent forms for treatment, and is something unfortunate happened during treatment then the hospital would be the only ones to blame and they want to cover their asses. I've heard there are concerns about drug allergies as well that only parents may know about.

I've seen consent to be treated in an ER given by phone before - it required the person on the other line to repeat their consent two extra times to witnesses, but it was for an incapacitated adult, not a child.

I hate it when liability gets in the way of common sense, not because of a caretaker's fault, but because people are so damn trigger happy in going to court. If someone needs care, you should be able to give it to them immediately, without fear of consequence.

The doctors/hospitals have to worry about covering their own asses, first, and before they can give treatment, simply because there is the potential to be sued if something goes wrong. And the sad thing is, they are justified in doing so. Tell me there's nothing wrong with that?

Example: When I was in the hospital a few weeks ago, I had to fill out/sign an incredible amount of paperwork for legal purposes (waivers saying I understand the potential risks in my surgery and that I am willingly taking them, etc), simply in order to have surgery. How morbid is that? But, the hospital had to cover their own ass first, and I understood why. Regardless, I was two days away from a potential life-or-death surgery -- Having to take care of all that liability before we could proceed just made me sad.

I mean, really, why are people always looking for money when something tragic happens? Is a settlement in court really going to fix the grieving? Will that bring your loved one back to life, or back to his/her previous condition? Will that make it all better and go away? What the hell is wrong with people that they think going to court will help?

The whole situation just makes me sad.

tlongII
09-01-2007, 02:13 PM

Incorrect. The American Pit Bull Terrier is a registered breed. However, they are also called American Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

PM5K
09-01-2007, 02:32 PM
(well first she took me to a vet, but that's another part of the story)

mavs>spurs2
09-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Incorrect. The American Pit Bull Terrier is a registered breed. However, they are also called American Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

Pit bull is a slang term for any dog mixed with the original english bulldog, not the short fat thing you see today. That's where you get pit bulls, staffies, boxers, bull terriers, and some other breeds.

tlongII
09-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Pit bull is a slang term for any dog mixed with the original english bulldog, not the short fat thing you see today. That's where you get pit bulls, staffies, boxers, bull terriers, and some other breeds.

True, but there is a breed known as The American Pit Bull Terrier. These are the prototypes for what is referred to in slang terms as pit bulls.

ShoogarBear
09-01-2007, 03:17 PM
(well first she took me to a vet, but that's another part of the story) Oh, no you don't . . .

2centsworth
09-01-2007, 03:28 PM
your thinking is screwed up. I would rather have every pit bull in existence die before an innocent child.

LakerHater
09-01-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm all for killing dogs that attack and punishing the owners of these dogs, but at least get the breed correct. "pit bulls" don't even exist, and how broad of a term is "pit bull type". Pit bull is a term that describes several types of dogs with similar physical characteristics

T Park
09-01-2007, 03:40 PM
I hate it when liability gets in the way of common sense, not because of a caretaker's fault, but because people are so damn trigger happy in going to court. If someone needs care, you should be able to give it to them immediately, without fear of consequence.

Ahmen.

Loser pays should be the law of the tort land.

Tort reform is needed so bad its not even funny.

TheSanityAnnex
09-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Pit bull is a term that describes several types of dogs with similar physical characteristicsPit bull is not a breed though. American Pit Bull Terrier is a breed. People throw around the term pit bull because of how a dog looks when more often than not it is a different breed. The American Pit Bull Terrier gets a bad name because of this.

TheSanityAnnex
09-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Incorrect. The American Pit Bull Terrier is a registered breed. However, they are also called American Staffordshire Bull Terriers.Ehh...............no shit. My point was that "pit bull" is not a breed.

tlongII
09-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Ehh...............no shit. My point was that "pit bull" is not a breed.

American Pit Bull Terrier. Duh.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
09-03-2007, 02:46 AM
I'm suprised this thread hasn't had at least one Mike Vick reference

mavs>spurs2
09-03-2007, 02:56 AM
It's really not fair to lump a bunch of bites and statistics from so called "pit bulls" into one group and blame it all on the pit bull terrier. That's like taking all the bad statistics from all the breeds derived from the Mastiff into one massive group. Then use it against these dogs any time a Rottie, English Mastiff, Tibetan Mastiff, Neopolitan Mastiff, Bullmastiff, etc bites even though they were all totally different breeds.

And not only is it a whole group of dogs making it worse for the pit bull terrier, about half of these so called reports aren't even by actuall pit bulls. I don't know how many times i've read the headline "pit bull attacks child" only to read the story and find a picture of a chow or some other dog breed.

Ignignokt
09-03-2007, 10:08 AM
I'll show you Ma-stiff.