PDA

View Full Version : Time Warner bites

cherylsteele
09-01-2007, 09:14 AM
I live in an apartment complex so I am not able to get Dish Network or DTV. Manager won't let me.

I have the basic channel package (up to channel 78 with 99). Over the past several weeks the have just taken off ESPN Classic (yesterday) and GSN. but the rates stay the same.....which really irks me. They have these nice channel packages for new customers but they offer nothing for established customers in the way of better channel packages. I sent them an email saying this. I don't have a problem paying for cable, but I want to get my money's worth and not gradually lose channels and pay the same price. At this rate it wouldn't surprise me that they somehow charge for local programming as well in addition to other charges

Why don't they offer something better for those established customers (besides telling me they are a monopoly). I looked at Grande and they supposedly aren't in my zip code. AT&T doesn't have anything at my address either except phone service according to their website.

I wish we had better choices when it comes to our telecommunication needs here in San Antonio.

I wish like hell we high Verizon Fiber Optic here in town....it is the about same price 42.99 for more then double the channels and they have FiOS internet with speeds that would make my Road Runner seem like dial up for about the same price too.

BacktoBasics
09-01-2007, 09:24 AM
If I just lost ESPN Classic I'm going to go ape shit.

CharlieMac
09-01-2007, 09:56 AM
I hope there is something good on 23.

cherylsteele
09-01-2007, 09:59 AM
I hope there is something good on 23.
Nope...just a statement saying that ESPN Classic was moved to channel 256. I have to pay to add it to my lineup. They did the same thing with GSN on channel 78...it is just a blank screen now.

Mijo
09-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Try calling them and inform them you are considering Dish Network or DTV. I have Roadrunner and Digital Phone but I was able to shave $80.00 off my bill and get 3 months of Showtime for free. I understand it will depend on who you speak to and whether or not they know your complex won't allow you to switch. My programming didn't change other than the Showtime offer but I feel alot better about my bill. Good luck.

goliath
09-01-2007, 11:07 AM
I called TWC this week and told them I was switching to a dish b/c they were too expensive. They added Showtime and the Movie Channel to my lineup for a year, added a digital phone and lowered my bill by $40 (not including the $40+ I'll save cancelling my current phone service).

cherylsteele
09-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanx you Mijo and goliath......I will try that.
I don't usually complain too much.....I guess that is a downfall in some ways....but TW just irritates me when they do this.....they never sent anythime to me in my bill or a flyer telling me they were going to do these things, they just do it.

Switchman
09-01-2007, 11:34 AM
I lost espn classic in my room :(

I'd go DirectTV in a second but with HDBOX, digital phone, and roadrunner it is a good price packaged together.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-01-2007, 11:46 AM
There's not going to be anything to replace Channel 23. It's just going to be a dead channel.

09-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Cheryl, wht do you need the managers approval? You should be able to hook up with Direct/Dish and just run the cable from your porch/balcony, to your set.

Might not be the prettiest thing, but it'll do in a pinch.

ashbeeigh
09-01-2007, 12:10 PM
:madrun I hate blank screens. I saw that this morning. It's so lame. Good luck, cherylsteele. I'm on your side.

spurschick
09-01-2007, 12:33 PM
This totally sucks! The FIBA championships are this weekend and they're on ESPN Classic!

cherylsteele
09-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Cheryl, wht do you need the managers approval? You should be able to hook up with Direct/Dish and just run the cable from your porch/balcony, to your set.

Direct TV and Dish Network both require Management's permission in writing to install a dish for the apartment or they will not install it. Management has said no, I asked them in the past.

On top of that my boyfriend does what satellite either.

cherylsteele
09-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Nothing is going right today it seems.

I have been suffering from bronchitis and a sinus infection all week. I went to Gonzaba Wednesday they gave me prescription, I took it to HEB marketplace and the Assistant who saw filled it out incorrectly, according to HEB. HEB calling to get verification and Gonzaba said they could not, I would have to pay for another visit.

Since I have no insurance until the beginning of September it is all out-of pocket. Meanwhile I feel like crap.

leemajors
09-01-2007, 12:53 PM
This totally sucks! The FIBA championships are this weekend and they're on ESPN Classic!
if you have digital cable it's not an issue.

cherylsteele
09-01-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't know about Spurschick, but I have just basic cable. TW wants me pay extra for upgrading. They have offers for new customers but nothing for established "loyal" customers.

leemajors
09-01-2007, 02:18 PM
I don't know about Spurschick, but I have just basic cable. TW wants me pay extra for upgrading. They have offers for new customers but nothing for established "loyal" customers.
i think she has U-Verse if i remember correctly. like was mentioned earlier, call them and tell them you are gonna switch to Directv if they don't give you a good digi offer. or just tell them you have been looking into it, and you want to stay with them but it's just out of your price range.

spurschick
09-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I have digital, but I don't have the variety package that they moved Classic to.

Kori Ellis
09-01-2007, 04:19 PM

I think it's still an issue - unless you pay for the package.

MannyIsGod
09-01-2007, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=1369]Cheryl, wht do you need the managers approval? You should be able to hook up with Direct/Dish and just run the cable from your porch/balcony, to your set.

Might not be the prettiest thing, but it'll do in a pinch.[/QUOTE

Some apartments are really anal as far as what you have on teh porch/patio. I had a fucking aparment comlex tell me I couldn't have a rocking chair on my porch because it wasn't real patio furniture.

Kori Ellis
09-01-2007, 04:30 PM

Some apartments are really anal as far as what you have on teh porch/patio. I had a fucking aparment comlex tell me I couldn't have a rocking chair on my porch because it wasn't real patio furniture.

When LJ rented a townhouse - they made him remove the pool table from the garage - insisting garages are for cars only (each unit had it's own garage - it wasn't shared). We complied and moved the pool table to his parents house at the time. Then they came back and said he wasn't allowed to have two boxes in his garage - they were not even big or messy :lol

Yes, some management companies are beyond anal.

T Park
09-01-2007, 04:38 PM
God bless owning your own house...

leemajors
09-01-2007, 04:43 PM
I think it's still an issue - unless you pay for the package.
that sucks, they haven't pulled that in austin. i pay for the sports pack though, which includes NBA tv. i only got it because a few years ago they said they would offer it at $2 a month, than take $15 off my monthly bill. worked for me!

cherylsteele
09-01-2007, 04:55 PM
When LJ rented a townhouse - they made him remove the pool table from the garage - insisting garages are for cars only (each unit had it's own garage - it wasn't shared). We complied and moved the pool table to his parents house at the time. Then they came back and said he wasn't allowed to have two boxes in his garage - they were not even big or messy :lol

Yes, some management companies are beyond anal.
A pool table in your garage? That is just wrong...for them not you. I bet if you stayed long enough they would have regulated the type of vehicle in the garage....that F-150 (or whatever) is built for the garage.

some HOA's are just as bad too.

leemajors
09-01-2007, 05:06 PM
man when i had an apartment with a garage i had a couch and coffee table in it. We never used it except for our tobacco water pipe.

angel_luv
09-01-2007, 08:45 PM
My ESPN classic is gone. I am not a happy camper. They had better replace it with another sport channel. I'm so mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cherylsteele
09-02-2007, 11:35 AM
They never replaced GSN on channel 78...so I doubt they will replace it with anything......maybe C-Span.

Remember.....this is TW we are talking about.

SequSpur
09-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Damn.. and I was thinking about switching from directtv to TW. oh hell no...

and not to mention their little disagreement with NFL NEtwork

IceColdBrewski
09-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Not that I'd ever condone stealing cable or anything, but googling digital cable descramblers would be a good place to start if I were looking for a little payback against TW.

sa_kid20
09-02-2007, 02:28 PM
If TW takes away NBA TV thats the final straw i'm switching!

leemajors
09-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Not that I'd ever condone stealing cable or anything, but googling digital cable descramblers would be a good place to start if I were looking for a little payback against TW.
they can fry em easy. they randomly send pulses down the line that ruin the card. if you have the pc adapter that can reprogram the card needed to enable the freebies you're set, but descramblers aren't terribly effective anymore.

Slydragon
09-02-2007, 10:33 PM
For the past week none of my on demand works for one of my cable boxes, I always get a error and it's pissing me off. Anyone have this issue? I tried leaving it unplug for 10 mins and still nothing.

Zombie
09-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Damn.. and I was thinking about switching from directtv to TW. oh hell no...

and not to mention their little disagreement with NFL NEtwork
Switching from Direct to TW is stupid. Giving up 100% digital picture is like switching back to Dial up!

Twisted_Dawg
09-03-2007, 10:31 AM
For the past week none of my on demand works for one of my cable boxes, I always get a error and it's pissing me off. Anyone have this issue? I tried leaving it unplug for 10 mins and still nothing.

.....Constantly.

I just bought a plasma from Circuit City. I do not currently have HD.
If Circuity City adds the HD signal to my existing TW account, Circuit City will knock $100 off the price of the TV.

BUT, if I switch to Direct, CC will knock $300 off the price of the TV.

I am thinking about junking my TW package all together and getting another internet provider and home phone.

cherylsteele
09-03-2007, 09:13 PM
I emailed TW a couple of days ago and received this reply:

Ms. Steele,

I apologize for the issues that you've had with the service. The
channels moving from analog to digital are part of the preparation to have
all analog channels move to digital. This is an FCC mandate and should be
totally in effect by February, 9, 2009.

I have reviewed your account and found that you still had old codes for
your internet and I changed them which made your Roadrunner price
$39.95 for the same service. I was also about to give you six months at
$29.95 before it goes to the $39.95 price. I know it's not much, but I
hope it helps a little. If you have any other questions please send us an
email, chat, or call 210-244-0500 and we'd be happy to help you. Thank
you for being a Time Warner customer and have a nice day.

DynastyBuilder
09-03-2007, 11:37 PM
I've been thinking about making the switch to DirecTV, but I really like my cable internet and I'm not sure about DSL... Is there a way to have roadrunner and DirecTV? Or am I just SOL and have to suck it up for DSL or TW?

cherylsteele
09-04-2007, 02:41 AM
I've been thinking about making the switch to DirecTV, but I really like my cable internet and I'm not sure about DSL... Is there a way to have roadrunner and DirecTV? Or am I just SOL and have to suck it up for DSL or TW?
If DSL is available in your area then you should be able to have to have DSL and DTV. You have to be close enough to the main switch office to get DSL and the copper lines must be able to handle both data and voice. You can have just RoadRunner and DTV....I like my RoadRunner internet...that is not my problem....it is the channel packages and TW deleting channels. The way I understand it is they are getting ready to switch to all digital channels and I have to pay to switch, I have been a TW customer for several years, they don't seem to care. They have offers for subscribers but not established ones.

DynastyBuilder
09-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Right - I know I can get DSL with DTV. I was just curious if I could keep roadrunner and get DTV as well and how that would work since there is only the one line coming into the house?

I'm right there with you on TW deleting channels and their packages. That's why I'm making the switch.

cherylsteele
09-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Right - I know I can get DSL with DTV. I was just curious if I could keep roadrunner and get DTV as well and how that would work since there is only the one line coming into the house?
I wouldn't know why not.

Das Texan
09-04-2007, 09:37 PM
I truly hate DSL, I'll just say that and thats the biggest factor why I would hesitate to switch from cable unfortunately.

Or maybe its just that Dallas sucking donkey nuts made AT&T then SBC have their DSL signal randomly quit for a few hours at random times during the day or night.

S_A_Longhorn
09-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Sory to hear that, DAS TEXAN. I live in the Sea World area, and I have had fewer than 2 problems with DSL since I got it 4 years ago. I use it for my wifi laptop in the house, a regular desktop computer, and now wifi/wired connection with my PS3. The phone works with everything else on as well.

I hate TWC. I have special pricing for HBO/Skinemax (which has better movies anyway) and the On-Demand channels, but the price will increase every 6 months. I'm hoping to get U-Verse come December. until then, i hate paying for a satellite if I have to pay for local channels and 4 boxes for 4 TVs.

I do like the local channels being HD on the HDTVs tho. I didn't know about ESPN Classic being moved. I was starting to enjoy watching the American Gladiators reruns.

Man Sauce
09-06-2007, 07:50 PM

I'm right there with you on TW deleting channels and their packages. That's why I'm making the switch.
Hey man DSL ain't to bad I was nervous about switching from cable to dsl but I like it way cheaper. I have a wireless router my computer, wifes laptop and Xbox all hooked up no problems. Just make sure you put filters everywhere including your house alarm if you have one. Although I have had sattelite for a couple of months its a better deal than Time Warner as soon as U-Verse comes in my area I am switching.

2Blonde
09-06-2007, 10:49 PM
I live in the GVTC area and I'm just glad that we finally got our HD channel for NBC back. It's been dead for 3 days now. It finally started working during the 1st quarter of the game tonight.

mikeanthony21
09-06-2007, 11:11 PM

Just scroll up or down one channel and back again. Works for me.