PDA

View Full Version : Upscale La Joya Development - Check it out

Buddy Holly
09-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Credit for these renderings goes to Insomniac.

This along with the 99 acre upscale Galo Properties development planned right next to this will seriously transform the southeast corner of 1604/10.

Am not sure how many highrises the 99 acre project will have but La Joya will atleast have three.

http://xs219.xs.to/xs219/07350/lajoya.JPG

http://xs219.xs.to/xs219/07350/lajoya2.JPG

http://xs219.xs.to/xs219/07350/lajoya3.JPG

http://xs219.xs.to/xs219/07350/La-Joya-Masterplan.jpg

Buddy Holly
09-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Nothing...?

ashbeeigh
09-01-2007, 09:38 PM
I think it looks cool. But what else do you want? I need more details!

jaespur21
09-01-2007, 11:35 PM
cool pics

Kori Ellis
09-01-2007, 11:39 PM
This will be at 1604/10?

There's too much going on there already :lol

Seriously though, it looks awesome.

Are those swimming pools or just fountains?

RashoFan
09-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Those would be cool looking pools, I think they are just fountains. I agree, Why add more shopping to that side of town?

Buddy Holly
09-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Those big surf boards are swimming pools.

T Park
09-02-2007, 12:27 AM
oughtta tear down some of the crap on the east side and build it there and revitalize that area.

leemajors
09-02-2007, 12:35 AM
the world needs more cookie cutter developments.

scott
09-02-2007, 12:38 AM
oughtta tear down some of the crap on the east side and build it there and revitalize that area.

Don't forget a bookstore for the southside...

Samr
09-02-2007, 12:54 AM
True, that area does not need more shopping (between La Cantera and The Rim, everything is pretty much covered), but, the complex looks really cool and it will only add to the draw of that part of town.... obviously. Think Fiesta Texas is happy right now? haha

When is this expected to be built? Is there a date, or even an approximation yet? I'm excited.

Kori Ellis
09-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Those big surf boards are swimming pools.

Is it just a shopping complex or it's condos, etc too? If it's just a shopping complex, why the pools?

Sorry, but I'm oblivious to what the development is exactly. I'm not trying to be a smart ass.

Buddy Holly
09-02-2007, 01:28 AM
Ground level retail, residential above.

Buddy Holly
09-02-2007, 01:33 AM
FYI, here is the Galo/Fulcrum development also planned for the southeast corner (blank area on the bottom left corner of the La Joya site plan). It was originally going to be a Turnberry developed retail center (1 million sq ft) called Regal Hills, that feel through and Galo Properties and Fulcrum Group partnered and bought the land and now have new plans for the land.

It'll now be 1 million sq ft of office, 600,000 sq ft of retail, 800 multifamily units and 500 hotel rooms in two hotels. One of those hotels being a five star.

http://xs219.xs.to/xs219/07350/galofulcrum.PNG

Kori Ellis
09-02-2007, 01:56 AM
Ground level retail, residential above.

Thanks. Now it makes more sense to me. Condos/Apartments to rent or buy?

Kori Ellis
09-02-2007, 01:58 AM
FYI, here is the Galo/Fulcrum development also planned for the southeast corner (blank area on the bottom left corner of the La Joya site plan). It was originally going to be a Turnberry developed retail center (1 million sq ft) called Regal Hills, that feel through and Galo Properties and Fulcrum Group partnered and bought the land and now have new plans for the land.

It'll now be 1 million sq ft of office, 600,000 sq ft of retail, 800 multifamily units and 500 hotel rooms in two hotels. One of those hotels being a five star.

That's pretty awesome.

scott
09-02-2007, 08:55 AM
It's very exciting to see what's going on in this area, but I'd honestly only put about a 25-30% chance of these projects moving forward as currently pitched.

All the previous owners of these properties had difficulty leasing out space or successfully getting the financial institutions to buy in to their grand plans and eventually sold to get out.

This really is the best of the 1604/I-10 corners, IMO, but unfortunately it is at a huge competitive disadvantage because of the headstarts by the Rim and La Cantera. Those will be very difficult to overcome.

In the end, I think this corner ends up being more of a mix of traditional single family housing, some upscale multi-family units, some traditional retail, and a few sections of the unique and exciting part of the plan (above). Even then, it is still good to see developers looking outside of the box in their projects.

METALMiKE
09-02-2007, 11:08 AM
They should Build something like this on the ATT Center complex and call it Champion Park ala Victory Park in Dallas. :)

Buddy Holly
09-04-2007, 04:52 AM
It's very exciting to see what's going on in this area, but I'd honestly only put about a 25-30% chance of these projects moving forward as currently pitched.

All the previous owners of these properties had difficulty leasing out space or successfully getting the financial institutions to buy in to their grand plans and eventually sold to get out.

This really is the best of the 1604/I-10 corners, IMO, but unfortunately it is at a huge competitive disadvantage because of the headstarts by the Rim and La Cantera. Those will be very difficult to overcome.

In the end, I think this corner ends up being more of a mix of traditional single family housing, some upscale multi-family units, some traditional retail, and a few sections of the unique and exciting part of the plan (above). Even then, it is still good to see developers looking outside of the box in their projects.

Not wanting to get into any bitchfest with you. What what previous owners of these properties? Turnberry?

That is the only developer that owned any property at the SEC of 1604/10 who nixed their plans and sold it. That land is not part of La Joya, it's a totally seperate piece of land (99 acres) adjacent to La Joya.

Turberry's plans were just 1 million square feet of retail, a large power center. They didn't drop those plans becuase they couldn't lease out the space.

Also, I don't see a power center as "grand plans." All that had changed for the former-Turnberry site is the retail sq footage has been reduced by 400,000 but that is with the addition of office, hotel and housing space to the project.

It went from another suburban power center to a mixed-use development which again, is seperate from La Joya.

tlongII
09-04-2007, 09:17 AM
The people in the drawings are not fat enough to be San Antonians.

degenerate_gambler
09-04-2007, 09:22 AM

While I agree with you that the end result of some of these developments are different than the original ideas, Galo has some deep pocket$ backing him. He can get it done.

But they paid a huge price for that corner, and it's going to be very interesting to see what lease rates and pad sites will be going for.

As an aside, the development isn't expected to be fully built out for 8-10 years.

Das Texan
09-04-2007, 09:44 PM
I dont know how many same stores they can possibly put into one area of a city.

What's left thats not already in the same 5 mile radius?

Samr
09-04-2007, 09:56 PM
What's left thats not already in the same 5 mile radius?

I heard Spurs are in talks of wanting a new arena out there eventually as well. Something about the East side being "old news now".....

scott
09-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Not wanting to get into any bitchfest with you. What what previous owners of these properties? Turnberry?

That is the only developer that owned any property at the SEC of 1604/10 who nixed their plans and sold it. That land is not part of La Joya, it's a totally seperate piece of land (99 acres) adjacent to La Joya.

Turberry's plans were just 1 million square feet of retail, a large power center. They didn't drop those plans becuase they couldn't lease out the space.

Also, I don't see a power center as "grand plans." All that had changed for the former-Turnberry site is the retail sq footage has been reduced by 400,000 but that is with the addition of office, hotel and housing space to the project.

It went from another suburban power center to a mixed-use development which again, is seperate from La Joya.

When I say "these properties" I am refering to all the developments on that corner and really within a 1-2 mile radius.

As for what has changed at the former-Turnberry site... how about what hasn't changed: they still are asking too much, asking for national concerns only, and not getting the kind of committments they'd like. The developer may tell you everything is fine and dandy... but that's the developers job.

Like I said, this is the best of the four corners at 1604 and 10 geographically, but because they got such a late start it will be tough to get anything significant off the ground. In 10-15 years I could see the current vision (which yes, I believe is grand - that's both a compliment and a concern) becoming a reality, but right now I think that corner is a little saturated to support such a development. Especially since La Cantera hasn't been the smashing success it was hoped (it's coming along now, but the first shopping season out there did not meet expectations). I think the developer (either current or future) will eventually lose patience and building something closer to what I envision (I hope it is something more grand - but not if it is only big box national chains and a bunch of Applebee's on pads).

More specifically, they'll have trouble attracting the retail because 1) that market just got flooded with a ton of retail with still more coming on with next phases of Rim/La Cantera 2) their requirements for national concerns only - there aren't many left who aren't already in the area, not enough to fill all that square footage.

I think they'll have trouble attracting the office because they are competing with a lot coming online along 1604 and the mix-used office hasn't been an instant success at 281/1604.

I think they'll have trouble attracting the high-end residential because of greater macro trends in the residential segment.

scott
09-05-2007, 12:28 AM
And I believe Galleria Ventures and Drake both had a stake in this corner at one point. Are they the La Joya developers?

If so... then economics change a bit... sometimes foreigners with money just do stuff, economics be damned!

scott
09-05-2007, 12:33 AM
While I agree with you that the end result of some of these developments are different than the original ideas, Galo has some deep pocket$ backing him. He can get it done.

But they paid a huge price for that corner, and it's going to be very interesting to see what lease rates and pad sites will be going for.

As an aside, the development isn't expected to be fully built out for 8-10 years.

I think it's the huge price for that corner that ends up killing the economics of the deal. The terms they'll need to get may not be feasible, not for what they are planning to build. I can't see millions of sq feet (in aggregate for the whole corner) going for $35-40/ft, especially knowing what other space is going for down 1604.

With that said, if its an 8-10 year vision, then all the discussion it moot because we are a few years away from knowing what the development will really look like. Until then, it's just cool pictures and a nice vision of our city.

Buddy Holly
09-05-2007, 01:52 AM
When I say "these properties" I am refering to all the developments on that corner and really within a 1-2 mile radius.

What developments though?

This is your comment.

The only one that sold to get out was Turnberry.

As for what has changed at the former-Turnberry site... how about what hasn't changed: they still are asking too much, asking for national concerns only, and not getting the kind of committments they'd like. The developer may tell you everything is fine and dandy... but that's the developers job.

Galo and Fulcrum barely bought the land from Turnberry in early June. They haven't even began leasing for it yet you make that statement. wth?

Like I said, this is the best of the four corners at 1604 and 10 geographically, but because they got such a late start it will be tough to get anything significant off the ground.

The hard corner 99-acres wil be a 7-8 year build out of the entire project. With Galo and Fulcrum concentrating on the office and hotel portion of the development first.

In 10-15 years I could see the current vision (which yes, I believe is grand - that's both a compliment and a concern) becoming a reality,

No, you stated that previous projects were "grand plans" and that because of their grandness were unable to be successful. First off, you still have yet to give an actual example of one and two, saying Turnberry's project was a grand plan idea was imo, not true. It was a simple 1 million sq ft power center, which is half the size as the 2 million sq ft power center called The Shops at The Rim.

but right now I think that corner is a little saturated to support such a development. Especially since La Cantera hasn't been the smashing success it was hoped (it's coming along now, but the first shopping season out there did not meet expectations).

Actually, The Shops were a success, second, phase II for the Shops is under construction.

I think the developer (either current or future) will eventually lose patience and building something closer to what I envision (I hope it is something more grand - but not if it is only big box national chains and a bunch of Applebee's on pads).

Yeah, that's why Galo and Fulcrum paid all that money for that land, to build Applebees and Red Robsins on pad sites.

How well do you know the people at Galo Properties and the Fulcrum Group?

More specifically, they'll have trouble attracting the retail because 1) that market just got flooded with a ton of retail with still more coming on with next phases of Rim/La Cantera 2) their requirements for national concerns only - there aren't many left who aren't already in the area, not enough to fill all that square footage.

THEY'RE NOT EVEN LEASING YET... WTF are you talking about?

I think they'll have trouble attracting the office because they are competing with a lot coming online along 1604 and the mix-used office hasn't been an instant success at 281/1604.

UM... SA's office market is quite hot right now and has been so for a while.

I think they'll have trouble attracting the high-end residential because of greater macro trends in the residential segment.

You're right, the 10/1604 area will be a hard sell for high-end residential. Don't tell anyone building $700,000 - $2 million dollar homes in that area.

It's like you believe what you're saying to be true and that you know what you're saying but sorry, you don't.

FINALLY, you are aware that the renderings in this thread and the Galo/Fulcrum project are SEPERATE DEVELEOPMENTS. I can't seem to stress that enough.

Buddy Holly
09-05-2007, 01:56 AM
And I believe Galleria Ventures and Drake both had a stake in this corner at one point. Are they the La Joya developers?

Drake Commercial is a land broker, Galleria Ventures owns the land. Drake brokers deal between Galleria and other companies (Turnberry, Galo, Fulcrum, etc) who then go on to develop the land.

In this case, Turnberry bought the land, planned something, nixed it, sold it to with help from Drake to Galo/Fulcrum.

Drake nor Galleria are land developers.

Buddy Holly
09-05-2007, 01:59 AM
With that said, if its an 8-10 year vision, then all the discussion it moot because we are a few years away from knowing what the development will really look like. Until then, it's just cool pictures and a nice vision of our city.

Oh jesus, first off, the RENDERINGS IN THIS THREAD are for a different PROJECT seperate from GALO and FULCRUM.

Second, when a developer gives an 7-8 year range of completion, it doesn't mean the look will change, etc. It just means it'll be built in phases. Like the 10/410 interchange. It was a almost 10 year build out but the design never changed. Think of it in that way.

scott
09-05-2007, 08:08 PM
I don't understand why you get your panties get in a bunch whenever someone has a different opinion than you.

1) I understand your renderings are for a project different than the former Regal Hills. Like I already mentioned, I am speaking about projects on that corner in general.

2) Who is developing the La Joya project? A simple question.

3) I know a bit about the retail space in this area, because I have to. You can believe me or not on some of my statements - I don't really care. When I say La Cantera wasn't a huge success right off the bat, I am not making shit up. Yes, I know things. No, I'm not at liberty to share them with you. Again, you can believe me or not. The truth really doesn't depend on anything said on a message board.

4) I realize you get in a huff whenever someone says the sun might not shine on San Antonio. Relax, already.

Twisted_Dawg
09-05-2007, 10:05 PM
If it is built, I hope for the first fucking time in SA, the roads are wide enough to handle the traffic......not some Stone Oak Parkway joke. And for God sakes, I hope they don't get the road planners from the idiots that did The Rim's roads.

Twisted_Dawg
09-05-2007, 10:10 PM
What developments though?

This is your comment.

The only one that sold to get out was Turnberry.

Galo and Fulcrum barely bought the land from Turnberry in early June. They haven't even began leasing for it yet you make that statement. wth?

You're right, the 10/1604 area will be a hard sell for high-end residential. Don't tell anyone building $700,000 - $2 million dollar homes in that area.
It's like you believe what you're saying to be true and that you know what you're saying but sorry, you don't.

FINALLY, you are aware that the renderings in this thread and the Galo/Fulcrum project are SEPERATE DEVELEOPMENTS. I can't seem to stress that enough.

Those houses would feed into Clark HS.....a school rapidly on the way down, despite the wealth of Shavano Park and The Dominion. Now if those houses would feed into the new Brandesis HS, it might work.

Buddy Holly
09-06-2007, 12:25 AM
1) I understand your renderings are for a project different than the former Regal Hills. Like I already mentioned, I am speaking about projects on that corner in general.

Yet when I ask you to provide examples you can't.

2) Who is developing the La Joya project? A simple question.

There are a few different developers that are apart of La Joya.

[/quote]3) I know a bit about the retail space in this area, because I have to. You can believe me or not on some of my statements - I don't really care. When I say La Cantera wasn't a huge success right off the bat, I am not making shit up. Yes, I know things. No, I'm not at liberty to share them with you. Again, you can believe me or not. The truth really doesn't depend on anything said on a message board.[/quote]

Because you work at Valero and have a blog? LOL, a lot of my information comes from people in the industry.

4) I realize you get in a huff whenever someone says the sun might not shine on San Antonio. Relax, already.

Weak come back, well not weak but unoriginal. I'm not in any huff. Quite from it, actually amused, but whatever.

Buddy Holly
09-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Those houses would feed into Clark HS.....a school rapidly on the way down, despite the wealth of Shavano Park and The Dominion. Now if those houses would feed into the new Brandesis HS, it might work.

I have no idea what the school boundary situation is with those high schools (and nothing will be confirmed until Brandis opens) but Clark recieved a rating of 80 out of 100.

scott
09-06-2007, 06:46 AM
You are right Buddy, I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'll look forward to this project in addition to all the fine others you've told us about over the years.

Sunshine
09-06-2007, 06:50 AM
Oh great. Just what we need. More shopping centers and apartments.

How many stores does one city need? I mean....seriously.

Shelly
09-06-2007, 07:29 AM
I have no idea what the school boundary situation is with those high schools (and nothing will be confirmed until Brandis opens) but Clark recieved a rating of 80 out of 100.

Brandeis has their proposed boundries up. I doubt much will change. My hood was one of those rumored to change, but we will still be at O'Connor.

http://www.nisd.net/boundaries/23

Twisted_Dawg
09-06-2007, 01:39 PM

Prelim boundaries have been out for 3 weeks now. Everything on the east side of I-10 will go to Clark HS which will include this enitre project. I have a kid that graduated Clark and another still there. The school is declining and does not match up to Churchill, Reagan, or O'Connor.

PakiDan
09-06-2007, 02:09 PM
ALL OF YOU ARE INCORRECT!!!

REUTERS
-Neuvo Laredo

Grande Burro Holdings, owner of Boys town Complexes in this city and Ciudad Acuna have announced intentions to acquire a large chunk of real estate located on the south east corner of Interstate 10 and Loop 1604 in San Antonio, TX. Pantufilo Hernandez, Chairman of Grande Burro Holdings announced the intended acquisition should take place in early Fall of 2007. "We are excited about the acquisition of this land and implications it holds for the expansion of our Boys Town enterprise."

In a press release, GBH announced their intentions to use the enormous tract of land as a mixed use development. According to the release, approximately 110 acres directly adjoining Loop 1604 and IH-10 will be used to develop Boys Town San Antonio, the groups third and largest Adult Entertainment Complex. The complex is said to include 8 gentlemens clubs, 110 private rental condos and fourteen cantinas. In order to preserve the feel of the firm's two Mexican complexes, talent will be brought in from the mountainous regions of Mexico, live donkeys and chickens will roam through the property, and Pesos will be accepted. The rest of the development is to include a Mexican themed water park and a boot factory.