PDA

View Full Version : Coughlin sticks with Manning despite woes

ducks
12-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Coughlin sticks with Manning despite woes
By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer
December 13, 2004

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Despite horrific struggles in recent weeks, Tom Coughlin still believes that Eli Manning is going to be an outstanding quarterback for the reeling New York Giants.

Coughlin reiterated Monday that the No. 1 pick in the draft will start against the Pittsburgh Steelers (12-1), adding that giving Manning a week off to clear his head wasn't an option.

``The rookie player that has this type of opportunity, and this type of experience, it is a priceless experience that does not come without pain,'' Coughlin said in a conference call as he reviewed a 37-14 loss to Baltimore.

ADVERTISEMENT
Not only is Manning winless in four starts since taking over from Kurt Warner, his statistics are dreadful. He has completed 42-of-110 passes for 516 yards, one touchdown and six interceptions. His quarterback rating is a 33.8 percent -- the lowest in the NFL for anyone with 100 pass attempts.

And the Giants have lost their last three games by at least 21 points, the first time that has happened since 1980.

Manning has had two good halves, one against Atlanta and another versus Philadelphia. His last two games have been horrible.

Against the Ravens on Sunday, Manning was 4-for-18 for 27 yards, two interceptions, a lost fumble and a zero rating.

The Giants, who have lost six in a row, didn't do anything on offense until Warner took over in the fourth quarter and led a touchdown drive. The other TD was provided by the New York defense.

``Yesterday was a setback,'' Coughlin said of Manning. ``I thought the second half Atlanta and the first half Philadelphia were outstanding, and in the right direction. The last two weeks have not been as such, but I am not changing my opinion one iota. I think you have to play through these things.''

There are valid excuses for Manning's woes.

The offensive line has struggled since Game 6. Center Shaun O'Hara has missed three games and rookie guard Chris Snee has missed the last two with a baffling glandular infection.

In the last three games, Manning has faced three of the NFL's top defenses -- Philadelphia, Washington and Baltimore. All three have put in wrinkles that confused the young quarterback.

The Steelers fit in the same category, which doesn't bode well for this weekend at Giants Stadium.

``It is causing him to pause at the line of scrimmage, which is really affecting the offense,'' Coughlin said. ``We seem to be over the ball too long. We have to make a determination and go.''

The Giants' receivers haven't helped much.

Amani Toomer has been battling a hamstring injury. Ike Hilliard has had a sub-par year and tight end Jeremy Shockey, who might be the most potent weapon, has not been used well by the coaching staff. The team's two speed receivers, Tim Carter and Jamaar Taylor, have been injured much of the season.

``I just feel if something good would happen for Eli and the offensive team they would feel a lot better about themselves,'' Coughlin said.

Coughlin said Manning had Toomer open deep in the first quarter and underthrew the ball. Shockey fell on another pattern and Hilliard was deliberately tripped by a fallen defender on a play where Coughlin said the officials missed the call.

Manning, who was not available Monday, was concerned his play had caused teammates to lose trust in him.

``I do know I haven't proved anything to them,'' Manning said Sunday. ``I have to show them I know what I am doing.''

While he knew the jump from Mississippi to the NFL would be tough, Manning has been surprised by his own play.

``You never expect it to go like this,'' said the younger brother of NFL co-MVP Peyton Manning. ``I'm struggling now, but I have to find a way to get out of this.''