PDA

View Full Version : Shake And Bake In Southern California- Mild Earthquake

duncan228
09-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Shit.
Shake and Bake in Southern California.

A 4.7 earthquake hit several miles from where we live, we felt the jolt but no damage. A 2.5 hit a minute later, we didn't feel that.

The weather has been horribly hot, when we lived here in the 80's we had several earthquakes in weather like this and we called it shake and bake.

We've been joking about it, my cats have been acting weird and we wondered if they felt something.

We're not joking anymore.

We've been through a few big ones, with the ground shaking and things falling and the noise that comes with them.

It's not fun.
This was little, just a jolt.
But fuck, it's enough to scare you.

Before you ask why I live here, it's where my husband's work is. We've been all over but his best career is here.

I know there are several posters here that live in Southern California.
Hope you're all okay.

E20
09-02-2007, 01:07 PM
It's pretty hot where I am at. I feel mini quakes all the time at night.

duncan228
09-02-2007, 01:12 PM
It's pretty hot where I am at. I feel mini quakes all the time at night.

Do you get used to them?

The little ones I really don't pay attention to anymore.
This one was quite the jolt.
It woke my 12 year old up and she can sleep through anything.

I'm never going to get used to the ones that jolt like that.

E20
09-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Where do you live anyway? I live in Northern California, Concord to be exact.

duncan228
09-02-2007, 01:17 PM

I'm in Irvine.

RashoFan
09-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Glad to hear that y'all are okay. I was sattioned in San Diego in the early 90's and been thru a few shakers myself. Scary stuff. Animals are sensitive to earthquakes, they can sense them before they happen. Mine sure did.
Y'all be safe.....

duncan228
09-02-2007, 01:19 PM
The local coverage begins.

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_245135326.html

Southland Rattled By Earthquake

(CBS) LAKE ELSINORE, Calif. A magnitude 4.7 earthquake -- centered under the Santa Ana mountain range -- shook southern California at 10:29 Saturday morning.

Automated seismographs reported that the earthquake's tentative epicenter was estimated to be eight miles west-northwest of the Riverside County city of Lake Elsinore and about 50 miles southwest of the Los Angeles Civic Center.

A reporter felt a strong shock at an office in Riverside, about 25 miles northeast of the epicenter.

The quake was also felt as far away as Encino in the San Fernando Valley.

The epicenter is near, and two miles beneath, the summit of Santiago Peak, the largest peak in the Santa Ana Mountain range east of Orange County.

A micro quake with a magnitude of 2.5 struck the same area about two minutes after the initial jolt.

missmyzte
09-02-2007, 01:20 PM
The one this morning was based out in Lake Elsinore, explains why I didn't feel it, I'm up in Ventura county. We had a 4.5 up here last month and that woke me up. I hate earthquakes - seriously. But relatively speaking, it's the better of the natural disasters because the little ones (like today's) don't actually do any damage and don't happen often. Not like hurricanes or tornados. The last one that actually did damage out here was the Northridge quake.

09-02-2007, 01:20 PM

Worked up that way one summer during college (San Leandro).

Great sturgeon fishing around the ghost fleet.

I was in a 7-Eleven on e day when a small one struck. I thought my buddy was playing a trick on me by throwing bags of chips at me from the other aisle.

CuckingFunt
09-02-2007, 01:26 PM
The earthquakes freaked me out when I was a little kid, but I got used to them growing up. Towards the time I graduated high school, anything 5.0 or under was like an amusement park ride.

During my junior year, I actually got in trouble because my best friend and I continued talking on the phone right through a 4.5 and my mom was trying frantically to call and make sure I was okay.

RashoFan
09-02-2007, 01:27 PM
I remember that Northridge quake...my cat Amber was going ape shit that day.

CuckingFunt
09-02-2007, 01:29 PM
I remember that Northridge quake...my cat Amber was going ape shit that day.My mom and I were out of town during that quake and we came back the day of.

The normally five-hour trip from Stockton took ten hours because I-5 was partially closed and they detoured everyone through the frickin' Mojave desert. It was a pain in the ass.

Shelly
09-02-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm in Irvine.

Hey! My parents live in San Juan Capo and my mother-in -law is in Mission Viejo.

I think anything under 6 isn't too bad, but once they go over that, they get scary. From 92-96, we lived in San Francisco and it use to make me VERY nervous being on the GG and Bay bridge when it was bumper to bumper.

There is a fault that runs through Newport Beach and if that thing ever becomes active, NB is screwed. A lot of the house are built on fill dirt...especially those homes in the harbor.

Shelly
09-02-2007, 02:41 PM
My mom and I were out of town during that quake and we came back the day of.

The normally five-hour trip from Stockton took ten hours because I-5 was partially closed and they detoured everyone through the frickin' Mojave desert. It was a pain in the ass.

My sister lives in Canoga Park, which is just a hop away from Northridge. It took forever before we got a hold of her.

The only major one that I felt that I was wondering if I should dive under my desk was the Whittier quake in the late 80s. I was working out in Corona and that thing shook forever.

duncan228
09-02-2007, 02:50 PM
The only major one that I felt that I was wondering if I should dive under my desk was the Whittier quake in the late 80s. I was working out in Corona and that thing shook forever.

The Whittier quake was my first "big" one.
We were in Garden Grove at the time.
I shook for days after it.

We went through a bigger one closer to where we lived in the Seattle area several years ago.
It was stronger and lasted longer than the Whittier one, that one really scared me. I think it was a 7.2, my mind won't let me recall it in too much detail!
I just remember my daughter, who was 5 at the time, holding her hands over her ears and screaming "make it stop."
When we got outside my van was jumping off the street, the tires a foot off the ground. It was frightening.

Shelly
09-02-2007, 02:57 PM
My dad's business is in Corona and everyone commuted out there. The one lady I worked with lived in Whittier and we she got home, her house was pretty desheveled.

There was also a good sized one that was in Palm Springs probably around 85 or 86, that we felt in SJC. I remember rushing to my window to look at the water in pool sloshing.

Kori Ellis
09-02-2007, 03:07 PM
I remember that Northridge quake...my cat Amber was going ape shit that day.

I lived in Northridge during the Northridge quake. The apartment building that collapsed and killed all those people was 2 blocks from mine. During that quake was the first/last time I ever thought I was going to die.

clambake
09-02-2007, 03:49 PM
I lived in Northridge during the Northridge quake. The apartment building that collapsed and killed all those people was 2 blocks from mine. During that quake was the first/last time I ever thought I was going to die.
we were in canoga park at the time. it's a strange feeling being airborne from inside a house.

T Park
09-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Shoot, all these Spurs fans in So Cal, and we all didn't do a GTG?

What the heck :lol

duncan228
09-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Shoot, all these Spurs fans in So Cal, and we all didn't do a GTG?

What the heck :lol

I'm in if we do one this season.

duncan228
09-02-2007, 05:18 PM
During that quake was the first/last time I ever thought I was going to die.

I thought that with the 2 big ones I've been through.

It's scary stuff.

It's so out of your control, there's no warning so you can leave the area, and while it's happening you can only "duck and cover."

Melmart1
09-02-2007, 05:51 PM
I lived in Los Angeles for nearly five years when I was a little girl and the first earthquake I remember sucked ass. We don't have that shit in Texas, it scared the hell out of me. I was lying on my bed listening to Culture Club (haha! it was the 80s, so sue me) and I remember stuff starting to fall off the shelf. I was only like six or so, and I didn't know what was going on. I tried to get off bed to go find my mom and I fell over and sprained my wrist. Luckily, nothign else happened and it was pretty quick in retrospect, though it felt like hours at the time.

RashoFan
09-02-2007, 06:29 PM
My first earthquake experience was in the Phillippines after Mt. Pinatubo erupted. I was in the Navy, on my ship, just went on "watch" and a loud noise occurred and my shipstarted rocking. I thought that the ship tied up along side us had started the engines and went to full reverse and hit us....A few moments later, some of my shipmates run up the gangway and were absolutely terrified. That is when we found out it was an earthquake. We had several though the night. The one earthquake that SCARED THE LIFE OUT OF ME was back in San Diego. We were in drydock... image a 668 ft ship in a "lock" sitting on 3 rows of large cement blocks holding it up. In the earthquake, my ship started rocking bad, I thought it was going to tip over. That was not a happy experience.

iminlakerland
09-03-2007, 01:44 AM

Man Kori, come to find out the last 2 years that i was going to CSUN, i would go to my friends apartment to chill, and come to find out the day he was moving he tells me, So remember that building that collapsed during the Northridge earthquake where people died...yea it was on this plot...it was a brand new building, but i was so creeped out!

I absolutely hate earthquakes! They freak me out...the last month or so i've felt 3/4 earthquakes. I cant tolerate them! I get antsy for days after it happens!

baseline bum
09-03-2007, 11:11 AM
The one this morning was based out in Lake Elsinore, explains why I didn't feel it, I'm up in Ventura county. We had a 4.5 up here last month and that woke me up. I hate earthquakes - seriously. But relatively speaking, it's the better of the natural disasters because the little ones (like today's) don't actually do any damage and don't happen often. Not like hurricanes or tornados. The last one that actually did damage out here was the Northridge quake.

That 4.5 in Chatsworth last month woke me up too, but I didn't feel the one yesterday (I'm out in Westwood). The only strong one I've ever felt was the 7.0 centered in Joshua Tree @ like 3AM back around 2000. It was the first quake I ever felt, and at 3AM I wasn't thinking straight and therefore the thought of it being an earthquake didn't even cross my mind. I jumped down from my bunk and yelled at my roommate to stop jacking off, then I remembered he went home for the weekend. I fell right back asleep, and I thought everyone was joking when they told me we got hit by a massive earthquake the night before, until I remembered jumping down and yelling at my non-present roommate. :lol