PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Felix now a category 5

spurs=bling
09-02-2007, 07:25 PM
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/spec_trop6_277x187.jpg
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/pt_BR/tropical/strm6_strike_277x187.jpg

Hurricane Felix began a rapid intensification cycle Sunday afternoon and reached category 5 status by 8pm Sunday evening (eastern time). Top winds increased to 165 mph with gusts possibly as high as 200 mph. A NOAA airplane investigating Hurricane Felix encountered extreme turbulence and graupel (soft hail) forcing the mission to be cut short.

Hurricane Felix passed north of Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao Sunday afternoon. The A,B,C Islands were spared any strong winds thanks to the compact nature of Felix's wind core, but heavy, locally flooding rain and some coastal flooding from 12-to-16-foot waves pounded the islands. Conditions should be greatly improved Monday.

In the coming days, Felix will bring large waves to the southern coasts of Jamaica and Grand Cayman Island.

Elsewhere in the Atlantic, a tropical wave is located about halfway between the Lesser Antilles and Africa. It is moving to the westard around 10 to 15 miles per hour. Any development will be very slow to occur.

The weak low pressure that has dumped flooding rain from Charleston to Savannah along the Southeast Coast will creep east-northeastward over the Atlantic over the next few days, allowing the worst of the rain to end. Although conditions are not favorable for development in the short term, this low could begin to take on tropical characteristics in a few days.

In the Eastern Pacific, we continue to monitor Tropical Storm Henriette.

Henriette is expected to become a hurricane tonight while moving parallel to the Mexican West Coast, heading slowly toward southern Baja. Henriette could threaten Baja California as early as Tuesday afternoon as a Category 1 hurricane.

In the Western Pacific, Typhoon Fitow is about 780 miles southeast of Tokyo and is moving to just south of west near 10 miles per hour. Fitow is forecast to move towards Japan mid to late week.

Back to Hurricane Central Index

Manu20
09-02-2007, 07:40 PM
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/avn-l.jpg
WOW!

peewee's lovechild
09-02-2007, 08:28 PM
I wonder what this says about the Global Warming Theory.

exstatic
09-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Two consecutive 5s. Jeeeeeezus.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Ay, Dios Mio!

T Park
09-02-2007, 09:07 PM

the same thing as NASA admitting that a year back in 1930 was hotter than last year.

Nothing.

09-02-2007, 09:12 PM
God hates the central Yucatan.

Cry Havoc
09-02-2007, 09:58 PM

Allow me to introduce you to Typhoon Tip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Tip

Formed in 1979. Size-wise, it makes Felix look dinky by comparison.

Sustained winds of 195 mph+ (est, because nothing survived the interior of the storm), but they could have been higher.

It was the size of the Western United States - from Missouri to California, Texas to Canada.

But yeah, let the media sensationalism let you think that Cat 5s never happened prior to 2005.

MannyIsGod
09-02-2007, 10:00 PM
The models are really weird with this storm. I think they're overestimating the ridge thats going to be over the gulf.

MannyIsGod
09-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Well, to be fair you can't compare pacific basin storms with Atlantic basin storms. You can't attribute this to global warming in anyway, but the recent increase in storm strength may be a statistical anomoly or not. There's really no way to tell, but Typhon Tip doesn't prove anything either.

09-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Manny, the early track guidance models I'm looking at have the thing impacting anywhere from Belieze to Cancun, but from then it looks like a Tampico landfall.

MannyIsGod
09-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Manny, the early track guidance models I'm looking at have the thing impacting anywhere from Belieze to Cancun, but from then it looks like a Tampico landfall.GFS and GFDL's latetest runs have it going straight west with a strong ridge right over the gulf.

09-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Interesting in the last update the "Hurricane Hunter" aircraft had to bail to St. Croix because of the rough weather.

This one could get nasty.

Trainwreck2100
09-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Another storm punks out and goes after Mexico.

Switchman
09-03-2007, 01:00 AM
God hates the central Yucatan.

For real.

Didn't it also get nailed by a huge ass asteroid/meteor/meteorite/whatever waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day?

RashoFan
09-03-2007, 01:32 AM
Damn, wasn't Felix a Cat1 about 24 hours ago?