PDA

View Full Version : Scola Mvp

Martin R
09-02-2007, 07:59 PM
lol. I know this thread will be endless.

He was given the MVP Trophy of the FIBA AMERICAS Championship.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-02-2007, 08:00 PM
:lol Congrats to Scola. Well deserved I thought

hendrix
09-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Hope this does not start more flaming....
hmmm.. who am i kidding?

Cherry
09-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Luifa MVP :lol :lol :lol :toast

T Park
09-02-2007, 08:03 PM
not an american, for leading the best team?

:lol

Good old america hating FIBA.....

mavs>spurs2
09-02-2007, 08:05 PM
I don't really understand the MVP award. It should be given to the best player in the tournament.

Ariel
09-02-2007, 08:06 PM

Good old america hating FIBA.....
UGH...

There is not a single American player this USA team couldn't have done without. NOT A SINGLE ONE. Scola led a team of Argentina scrubs to the Olympic games. The breach is so ridiculous it's not even close. In fact, I think they should probably give Scola the Nobel prize or something.

Martin R
it was given to the best player in the tournament.

Voted by Coachs and Media.

sribb43
So since Scola beat out all the USA's players for the award, this means that if he was American that he would be the best player on the USA team

Kori Ellis
09-02-2007, 08:08 PM
I don't really understand the MVP award. It should be given to the best player in the tournament.

Most VALUABLE Player. Not best player on the winning team. Scola was obviously most valuable - he got an Argentine team that was missing most of their horses to the gold medal game.

Martin R
09-02-2007, 08:08 PM
UGH...

There is not a single American player this USA team couldn't have done without. NOT A SINGLE ONE. Scola led a team of Argentina scrubs to the Olympic games. The breach is so ridiculous it's not even close. In fact, I think they should probably give Scola the Nobel prize or something.

LOLLLLLLLLLLL NOBEL PRIZE LOLLLLLLLLLL :lol :lol :lol

mavs>spurs2
09-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Most VALUABLE Player. Not best player on the winning team. Scola was obviously most valuable he got an Argentine team that was missing most of their horses to the gold medal game.

I really should have worded that better.

IMO they SHOULD give it to the best player in the tournament. Which they wouldn't necessarily have to be on the winning team but most likely would.

ChumpDumper
09-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Well deserved.

whottt
09-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Argentina probably doesn't even make the medal round without Scola...

That said...

I'm takin' LeBron...

Ariel
09-02-2007, 08:16 PM
I really should have worded that better.

IMO they SHOULD give it to the best player in the tournament. Which they wouldn't necessarily doesn't have to be on the winning team but most likely would.
USA - Kobe / Melo / LeBron = cuts back its average winning margin by .1 pts.
Argentina - Scola = struggles to get out of the first round.

So I'll let you know when they call it the BP. But in the meantime, Scola is a worthy winner.

mavs>spurs2
09-02-2007, 08:17 PM
USA - Kobe / Melo / LeBron = cuts back its average margin by .1 pts.
Argentina - Scola = struggles to get out of the first round.

So I'll let you know when they call it the BP. But in the meantime, Scola is a worthy winner.

Worthy winner of the individual consolation prize

Ariel
09-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Winning this tournament doesn't mean jack shit. The whole point is getting to the Olympic games. And Scola got his team there by himself. So consolation my ass.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-02-2007, 08:19 PM

Good old america hating FIBA.....just STFU already! Scola got a team full of nobodies to the gold medal game. He played very well. This is the MVP we're talking about, not the BEST player, but the most VALUABLE to his team. Learn the difference jackass

duncan228
09-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Scola deserved it.

Cherry
09-02-2007, 08:21 PM

Like Dirk´s MVP? :lol

WalterBenitez

hmmmm ... that's what they did it :rolleyes

mavs>spurs2
Winning this tournament doesn't mean jack shit. The whole point is getting to the Olympic games. And Scola got his team there by himself. So consolation my ass.

It's ok, the USA wins the tourney, Scola wins the individual consolation prize and everyone's happy. Don't you see we're all winners here?

hendrix
09-02-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm so out of here... this is going nowhere.
See ya guys

smeagol
Most VALUABLE Player. Not best player on the winning team. Scola was obviously most valuable - he got an Argentine team that was missing most of their horses to the gold medal game.

TPark, read the above post.

mavs>spurs2
hmmmm ... that's what they did it :rolleyes

Ya we all know Scola> Kobe Lebron Melo etc

WalterBenitez
Argentina probably doesn't even make the medal round without Scola...
That said...
I'm takin' LeBron...

for sure, Luis inspired the rest of the team, consider how strong Brazil was and we defeated twice

MaNuMaNiAc
09-02-2007, 08:23 PM
It's ok, the USA wins the tourney, Scola wins the individual consolation prize and everyone's happy. Don't you see we're all winners here?The US beat us very well. Nobody here is trying to take anything away from that. Scola played very well though and considering what he had to play with, I'd say the MVP was well deserved

WalterBenitez
09-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Ya we all know Scola> Kobe Lebron Melo etc

Never he will, but Kobe with 5 points in the final is not what I would call MVP
:rolleyes

Ariel
09-02-2007, 08:24 PM
It's ok, the USA wins the tourney, Scola wins the individual consolation prize and everyone's happy. Don't you see we're all winners here?
Hey, I'm beyond happy. No complaints from me whatsoever!!!

Martin R
09-02-2007, 08:25 PM
US deserved to win. They played GREAT basketball team. They look like they understood FIBA basketball very well.

COngratulations USA !!! Congratulations Luis Scola for the MVP award.

Ignignokt
09-02-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm takin' LeBron Samuel Dickerson...

You have a knack for stating the obvious whottman.

mavs>spurs2
09-02-2007, 08:26 PM
The US beat us very well. Nobody here is trying to take anything away from that. Scola played very well though and considering what he had to play with, I'd say the MVP was well deserved

According to the definition of MVP, I agree it was well deserved.

But when was the last time the finals MVP was on the losing team?

Do you also agree that Lebron should have been finals MVP over Parker? I mean, he did lead a team of scrubs to the finals, much like what Scola did in this tournament.

WalterBenitez
09-02-2007, 08:28 PM

hmmmmmm... correct me if I were wrong ... but there was a blondie in 2007 season :reading

mavs>spurs2
09-02-2007, 08:29 PM
hmmmmmm... correct me if I were wrong ... but there was a blondie in 2007 season :reading

Dirk was a Finals Mvp?

Whisky Dog
09-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Wow, this may be the first time in the history of sports where the MVP was actually given to the most valuable player. The US team could never have an MVP because it was so stacked that missing one player wouldn't make much difference. The closest thing to an MVP on the team was Kidd, but even without him this team still smokes the scrubs in this tourney. I've long thought that the name should be changed from MVP to something like Best Offensive Player since that's who the award is given to 99.9% of the time. That's why Nash won two of them, all the while playing absolutely horrendous defense.

duncan228
09-02-2007, 08:30 PM

1969. Jerry West (Celtics won.)

I believe that was the first and only time it happened.

ALVAREZ6
09-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Damn it I wish the Spurs weren't a so cheap. Scola and TD would be nice.

Cherry
09-02-2007, 08:32 PM

i dont know, but this is FIBA, not NBA.

mavs>spurs2
09-02-2007, 08:33 PM
1969. Jerry West (Celtics won.)

Once in the past 38 years?

And think real hard about it, what was different about West from most other finals Mvps? Once you figure that out, you will realize that the MVP award is all about politics. That's why I don't pay much attention to individual awards.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-02-2007, 08:34 PM

Do you also agree that Lebron should have been finals MVP over Parker? I mean, he did lead a team of scrubs to the finals, much like what Scola did in this tournament.Finals MVP bro, not Playoffs MVP. Point is Parker outplayed even LeBron thorughout the finals, so no, I don't think LeBron should have won it.

duncan228
09-02-2007, 08:35 PM

And think real hard about it, what was different about West from most other finals Mvps? Once you figure that out, you will realize that the MVP award is all about politics. That's why I don't pay much attention to individual awards.

I was simply answering your question.

AnotherArgie
09-02-2007, 08:36 PM

This was an all-tournament mvp, not a finals mvp.

waly.mg
09-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Dirk was a Finals Mvp?

No, Scola won the tournament MVP Trophy, not the Final MVP

Ignignokt
09-02-2007, 08:37 PM

Like DPOY awards?

mavs>spurs2
09-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Finals MVP bro, not Playoffs MVP. Point is Parker outplayed even LeBron thorughout the finals, so no, I don't think LeBron should have won it.

You can't have it both ways. If Scola deserves MVP for leading a team of scrubs to the championship game, then so did Lebron.

But hey it doesn't matter i'm not a big fan of Scola or Lebron I could care less who won just pointing that out.

ashbeeigh
A little part of me died thinking that the Spurs once had him. :depressed

mavs>spurs2
Attack of the Argies!

I'm out before I get lynched

Ignignokt
09-02-2007, 08:40 PM
You can't have it both ways. If Scola deserves MVP for leading a team of scrubs to the championship game, then so did Lebron.

But hey it doesn't matter i'm not a big fan of Scola or Lebron I could care less who won just pointing that out.

TWO DIFFERENT LEAGUES.

Ariel
09-02-2007, 08:41 PM

For the last time. The second place in the NBA is the first of the losers. The second place in this tournament is the last of the winners. Get it?

AnotherArgie
09-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Attack of the Argies!

I'm out before I get lynched

:lol :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
09-02-2007, 08:43 PM

But hey it doesn't matter i'm not a big fan of Scola or Lebron I could care less who won just pointing that out.Its not both ways. Parker got the FINALS MVP, Scola got the TOURNAMENT MVP. Its not the same thing. If you can't see that, I can't help you

mavs>spurs2
09-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Its not both ways. Parker got the FINALS MVP, Scola got the TOURNAMENT MVP. Its not the same thing. If you can't see that, I can't help you

I don't understand your twisted Argentinian logic

Do your clocks also spin counterclockwise?

WalterBenitez
09-02-2007, 08:51 PM

Well we are bellow equador and when in Dallas is winter here is summer, and when you feel you got the best team we believe you sucks, so perhaps your logic is different.

ChumpDumper
09-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Their toilets flush the other way, if that helps.

mavs>spurs2
09-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Their toilets flush the other way, if that helps.
:lol that is true

Ariel
09-02-2007, 09:05 PM
PS: nevermind. Where on Earth did I get you were quoting me? :drunk

ThePrivateSpur
09-02-2007, 10:08 PM

I was impressed with Scola. He certainly was the leader of the Argentine team. If it wasn't for Scola's play, professionalism, and his competitive spirit, Argentina would have had to wait next year to qualify for the Olympics.

On the flip side, Delfino is one Argentine who thinks he is better than he truly is. He takes a lot of bad shots and doesn't follow Argentina's team passing style of play. :ihit

WalterBenitez
09-02-2007, 10:20 PM
I was impressed with Scola. He certainly was the leader of the Argentine team. If it wasn't for Scola's play, professionalism, and his competitive spirit, Argentina would have had to wait next year to qualify for the Olympics.

On thDelfino is one Argentine who thinks he is better than he truly is. He takes a lot of bad shots and doesn't follow Argentina's team passing style of play.e flip side, :ihit

Delfino's problem is his head, to be more concret his brain

smeagol
09-02-2007, 10:40 PM

That's because you are slow-witted. It is pretty easy to follow if you ask me.

ThePrivateSpur
09-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Hey guys, a friend emailed this article to me. It is from the subcribed ESPN Insider, so there is no accessible link. Scola is very respectful to the Spurs organization.

LAS VEGAS - San Antonio's braintrust of R.C. Buford and Gregg Popovich has produced the NBA's model franchise and four championships in the past eight years, so I don't know if it's right for me to doubt it.

The Spurs don't make too many mistakes. The only major blunder I can think of was 2003, when they drafted Leandro Barbosa, the reigning sixth-man of the year, for the Phoenix Suns and passed on Josh Howard, 2007 all-star, in the process (It hasn't hurt too much since they've won two NBA championships since then).

However, after watching Luis Scola playing for Argentina the past week and a half, I am completely stunned that the Spurs traded him - for little more than cap room - and to division rival Houston at that.

Scola is physical, relentless and he can score in a variety of ways, inside and out. He has led Argentina, the 2004 Olympic gold medalists, to a 7-0 record in the FIBA Americas Championship despite the absence of the Spurs' Manu Ginobil, Fabricio Oberto, Charlotte's Walter Hermann, Chicago's Andres Nocioni and former Temple star Pepe Sanchez. He is averaging a team-high 17.8 points and eight rebounds. He had 23 points and 12 rebounds in comeback, overtime win against Brazil on Wednesday.

Too bad the biggest game of this Olympic qualifying tournament between unbeaten Argentina and the United States won't tip off until midnight Eastern time, but it might be worth losing some sleep to check out Scola. "He's a very active player. He does everything and anything," said LeBron James, who has seen Scola up close in the 2004 Olympics in Athens and last summers world championships in Japan. "He continues to get better every summer. He's a very good player and we need to be in tune and keep a bottle on him."

Scola, a 6-foot-9 power forward, won Spanish League MVP last season for Tau Ceramica and has been regarded for some time as the best foreign player to never play in the NBA. That will change when he saddles up to next to Yao Ming this fall. The Spurs may regret that it wasn't Tim Duncan.

The 27-year-old Scola is better and younger than Fabricio Oberto, his countryman and the Spurs' starting power forward on the NBA championship team last June. But the Spurs reportedly had some concerns over how he would mesh with Duncan. Yao will certaining enjoy having Scola watching his back.

San Antonio drafted Scola in the second round in 2002 and they typically draft foreign players and let them play overseas until they need them (i.e. Ginobili and Oberto). They had hoped to sign him two years ago, but he reportedly had a ridiculous $14.5 million buyout, so they chose to sign Oberto instead. Last year, when it became obvious that Scola wouldn't come stateside again, his agent blamed the Spurs and told the San Antonio Express-News that "in the country of liberty, he is being held prisoner."

Much like the situation with Juan Carlos Navarro, Scola's team reduced the buyout to a more amenable $3 million, but the Spurs had already decided to go in a different direction. They selected one of his teammates on Tau Ceramica, Brazilian forward Tiago Splitter, in the first round of the NBA draft (Splitter, by the way, has looked pretty good here, too).

Believing they had a cheaper and younger version of Scola in Splitter, the Spurs helped Scola pursue his dreams of playing in the NBA this summer. They had hoped to keep him out of the Western Conference and had a deal in place with Cleveland. When it didn't work out with the Cavaliers, San Antonio had to settle for the deal it made with Houston, throwing in Jackie Butler, in exchange for Greece's Vassilis Spanoulis - a guard who has sworn off the NBA - a 2009 second-round pick and cash.

Doesn't sound like much - and it isn't. But the move cleared salary cap space to sign 2005 draft pick Ian Mahinmi and a roster spot to sign Ime Udoka.

Scola said he has no hard feelings against the Spurs. "They have an unbelievable team. They are a dynasty," Scola said. "I would've loved to play there, but it changed. I'm in Houston and I'm happy to be there."

With his mind preoccupied with leading Argentina to an automatic berth in Beijing, Scola added that he hasn't given much thought about playing for the Rockets. "I try not to think too much about it," Scola said. "I like to think that I am [ready for the NBA]. But how would I know if I never play there? When this is over on Sunday I can start thinking about NBA. One thing at a time."

manubili
09-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Congrats to the US Team, the proved they want the gold back badly.

Scola deserves the MVP. Anyway I don't think that every other player in Argentina's team was scrub. You don't need to beat a US NT loaded with superstars to prove you are good. Actually Quinteros and Kammerichs are studs.

Indazone
09-03-2007, 01:37 AM
Scola MVP of the Tournament!!! Congrats to winning the MVP trophy!!

Demo Dick Marcinko
09-03-2007, 02:57 AM
No hating on Luis Scola. Could have been a Spur, should have been a Spur, but in move that still has me scratching my head, he wound up a rockette. I don't think he's the bad guy here. I think if he could have had his preference he would have been a Spur. Scola's a fierce and highly skilled competitor and he deserved the tournament MVP, and like other posters have noted he took Argentina's B team and beat more experienced teams like Brazil, Puerto Rico and Canada. On top of that, he's about as classy an individual as you'll find. Much like Manu and Oberto, he's humble, personable, and a tremendous team player and maybe it's just me but there's nothing about him to dislike.

Just because there's some ignorant and irritating posters, both foreign and domestic that are either trolling or blasting the Spurs for letting him get away, let's keep things in proper perspective. Luis ain't got nothing to do with it.

That being said, as much as I admire and respect Scola and his game and along with the addition of Rick Adelman who is definitely an upgrade over JVG, I'm not ready to proclaim the rockettes as the next NBA champs. To think that they have not improved is naive and homerific. Truth be told they may not be top 3 until 2008-2009. Next year it's still going to be SA, Dallas or Phoenix coming out of the west to play in the NBA finals.

Kamnik
09-03-2007, 07:11 AM
Congrats to Scola! He deserved it.

ArgSpursFan
09-03-2007, 07:23 AM
:lmao @ the Scola Haters.

urunobili
09-03-2007, 09:00 AM

Do you also agree that Lebron should have been finals MVP over Parker? I mean, he did lead a team of scrubs to the finals, much like what Scola did in this tournament.
Allen Iverson got it in 2002

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-03-2007, 09:34 AM
He'll average 14 and 5 at most in the NBA.

ducks
09-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Damn it I wish the Spurs weren't a so cheap. Scola and TD would be nice.
scola never was going to be a spur because they got bad blood between them
before the big contract was the issue

spurs are almost at the tax if not the tax right now
I would not saw that is cheap

heck suns cut their best d guy just to rid of 8 million

Clemenza
09-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Scola, Scola , Scola

THANK YOU SPURS THANK YOU.

Great!!!!!

thousandth
09-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Wo, all argentinians are vatos locos... I see, Scola mvp in the FIBA AMERICAS championship, so? It would impact in the Spurs system, Spurs rotation, Spurs winner game, Spurs anything? Not.

We'll become in Roxfans to speak of the Spurs in the ST forum...I still don't belive it. :pctoss

ArgSpursFan
09-03-2007, 10:20 AM
heck suns cut their best d guy just to rid of 8 million

well,they have a dumbfuck coach.

SenorSpur
09-03-2007, 01:40 PM

Anybody know why the rest of the Argentine horses (Gino, Oberto, Nocioni) didn't play?

Manudona
09-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Anybody know why the rest of the Argentine horses (Gino, Oberto, Nocioni) didn't play?

Gino and Oberto were asked by the Spurs's front office to take a rest after a long season, Nocioni was injured, with plantar fascitis, Herrman I believe resigned from the national team for personal reasons and Pepe Sanchez (starter PG) also wanted to take a rest.

Solid D
09-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Since nobody has mentioned him, I will. Esteban Batista. Batista was terrific and was certainly the most valuable player to his team, Uruguay. The 6'10" pivot was the only player in the tournament to average a double-double with 20.8 ppg and 12.4 rpg. He was pretty dominant in the game I watched him play. Granted he is a spot player for ATL, but in this tournament...he played big.

Solid D
09-03-2007, 02:52 PM
FIBA Americas Tournament Leaders

PPG

1. Leandrinho Barbosa Brazil 21.8
2. Carmelo Anthony USA 21.2
3. Jason Edwin USVI 21
4. Esteban Batista Uruguay 20.8
5. Romel Beck Mexico 20.3

RPG

1. Esteban Batista Uruguay 12.4
2. Antonio Garcia Panama 9.8
3. Angelo Reyes Puerto Rico 9.5
4. Samual Dalembert Canada 9.4
5. Tiago Splitter Brazil 8

APG

1. Pablo Prigioni Argentina 6.3
2. LeBron James USA 4.7
3T. Carlos Arroyo Puerto Rico 4.6
3T. Valter Da Silva Brazil 4.6
3T. Jason Kidd USA 4.6

whottt
09-03-2007, 02:58 PM
FIBA Americas Tournament Leaders

PPG

1. Leandrinho Barbosa Brazil 21.8
2. Carmelo Anthony USA 21.2
3. Jason Edwin USVI 21
4. Esteban Batista Uruguay 20.8
5. Romel Beck Mexico 20.3

RPG

1. Esteban Batista Uruguay 12.4
2. Antonio Garcia Panama 9.8
3. Angelo Reyes Puerto Rico 9.5
4. Samual Dalembert Canada 9.4
5. Tiago Splitter Brazil 8

APG

1. Pablo Prigioni Argentina 6.3
2. LeBron James USA 4.7
3T. Carlos Arroyo Puerto Rico 4.6
3T. Valter Da Silva Brazil 4.6
3T. Jason Kidd USA 4.6

What about FG%?

I read LeBron shot 75% from the field or something...

whottt
09-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Anyway...it's good to see Scola putting his name alongside immortals like Marcelinho Machado.

urunobili
09-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Since nobody has mentioned him, I will. Esteban Batista. Batista was terrific and was certainly the most valuable player to his team, Uruguay. The 6'10" pivot was the only player in the tournament to average a double-double with 20.8 ppg and 12.4 rpg. He was pretty dominant in the game I watched him play. Granted he is a spot player for ATL, but in this tournament...he played big.
he was released by ATL... our local press here in UY have been saying that the Suns and Seattle were interested in him... that was said during the broadcast of the games...

ChumpDumper
09-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Since nobody has mentioned him, I will. Esteban Batista. Batista was terrific and was certainly the most valuable player to his team, Uruguay. The 6'10" pivot was the only player in the tournament to average a double-double with 20.8 ppg and 12.4 rpg. He was pretty dominant in the game I watched him play. Granted he is a spot player for ATL, but in this tournament...he played big.He wasn't mentioned in this thread, but I have posted about him elsewhere. This guy was a complete hoss for most of the tournament. Had Uruguay somehow gotten into the final four, Batista definitely would have won the MVP award.

ArgSpursFan
09-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Chump mentioned Batista,it was on the Brazil vs Argentina game blog thread I believe.

ChumpDumper
09-03-2007, 04:23 PM
There's actually a thread about him started by JamStone in the NBA Forum.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76784

kolko
09-03-2007, 06:42 PM
And it was mentioned here in Argentina that Boca Juniors (last champion of the national league) want to sign Batista.

ChumpDumper
09-03-2007, 06:44 PM
And it was mentioned here in Argentina that Boca Juniors (last champion of the national league) want to sign Batista.I think he should be able to land a better job than that -- or was that a different Batista from Esteban?