PDA

View Full Version : O'Neal does not want Jordan to play with the Heat

KoriEllis
09-23-2004, 05:00 AM
Sources: O'Neal does not want Jordan to play with the Heat
BY BARRY JACKSON AND ISRAEL GUTIERREZ

www.miami.com/mld/miamihe...577.htm?1c (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/basketball/9735577.htm?1c)

Apparently, one of the NBA's all-time greatest players is enough for the Miami Heat.

Shaquille O'Neal has told Heat teammates that NBA legend Michael Jordan wants to play for Miami this season, and went so far as to ask a few Heat players whether it would be a good idea, two sources with knowledge of the situation said.

O'Neal told teammates that Jordan has left him several messages, and O'Neal was convinced Jordan wants to play for the Heat this year. O'Neal told teammates he was not interested in having Jordan join the Heat, and others agreed, the sources said. O'Neal even asked whether one of the players should go to management and express the desire not to add Jordan, one of the sources said.

Regardless, it appears unlikely that the five-time MVP will come out of retirement to join Miami at age 41. When the Jordan-to-Miami rumors originally surfaced in July, Heat president Pat Riley dismissed them, uninterested in adding a player Jordan's age.

Rumors of a Jordan comeback have resurfaced in recent weeks because he has been working out vigorously with other NBA players in Chicago, and a Denver Post story Wednesday said Nuggets General Manager Kiki Vandeweghe has acknowledged the rumor. The story, however, was about a possible Dennis Rodman comeback, with only a brief mention of Jordan. Jordan has not played since averaging 20 points and 6.1 rebounds for the Washington Wizards in the 2002-03 season and has since been adamant that his playing days are finished.

Last week, Heat general manager Randy Pfund said he spoke with Jordan's trainer, Tim Grover, and Grover gave no indication Jordan was mulling a comeback. During a trip to Asia in May, Jordan repeatedly said there was no chance he would make another comeback. He also has denied comeback rumors recently.

Jordan was spotted on South Beach in July, before the O'Neal trade, which led to rumors of a comeback.

The Heat does need help at small forward, with Rasual Butler, Wesley Person and Eddie Jones being the leading candidates to start at that position when the season begins. Jordan spent much of his time with the Wizards playing small forward, but the Heat doesn't seem prepared to turn to Jordan for help.

Jordan wants to be a part-owner of a team and has frequently been linked to the Heat.

Tommy Duncan
09-23-2004, 05:04 AM
I'd take a 57 year old MJ over a 57 year old Drexler anytime.

Tommy Duncan
09-23-2004, 05:09 AM
Ok here's a 3AM thought: if MJ would commit to being a role player (meaning something a little less than 25 shots per game) or even (gasp) come off the bench would he not be an intriguing addition for the Spurs? That would take care of the backup SF issue. Could give the Spurs a little boost financially next season as well.

Oh well, time to hit the sack and get some rest so I'm not totally a zombie at the office in a few hours.

Whottt
09-23-2004, 05:29 AM
Would he not be an intriguing addition for the Spurs?

No he would not. He'd suck. He's going to be 42 years old. When was the last time you saw an effective 42 year old SF/2G? How about never, not in the history of the game. I know it's Jordan..but he'd still be 42 years old, what exactly would you be expecting him to contribute? A little D on Kobe?

timvp
09-23-2004, 06:04 AM
If Michael Jordan wants to be on the Spurs, you say yes. No questions asked.

I don't care if he's 50, you don't turn down the best player in the world.

Whottt
09-23-2004, 07:25 AM
You can say yes all you want...it'd probably make a lot of money for the Spurs and get their butts kissed in the media...I don't hate Jordan so it wouldn't bother me to see him suit up.

But he isn't the best player in the world anymore...and he will suck on the court.

When was the last time he even suited up for a game in SA anyway? 1995 or so?

CoachTF
09-23-2004, 09:01 AM
You take MJ without question. He's the best of all time and his knowledge of the game is still better than most. Shaq does not want anybody on his team that takes away from him and that is the way he's been from day one. That's why he hated on Penny and Kobe and even to a degree EJ. Laker fans loved Jones and Shaq could not stand to share the spot light.

2Cleva
09-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Shaq does not want anybody on his team that takes away from him and that is the way he's been from day one.

Bingo.

And watch what happens if Wade starts getting the spotlight. Same rule will apply. People get on Kobe for trying to win it his way, but Shaq is just as guilty. Jordan as a role player would be the difference in Miami winning it all or not.

Solid D
09-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Ok here's a 3AM thought: Tommy Duncan

See what happens when you drink caffeine after 10 PM?

Tommy Duncan
09-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Actually, it's what happens when you stay late at the office, come home and lay down and then wake up at 1AM. Oh yeah, I did have a Dinkel Acker before I first went to sleep. Not sure there is caffeine in that.

But rest assured I am hitting the caffeine this morning.

ducks
09-23-2004, 12:17 PM
if mj wanted to come off the bench you take him PERIOD

mj would not have to carry the load dude

Tommy Duncan
09-23-2004, 12:17 PM
No he would not. He'd suck. He's going to be 42 years old. When was the last time you saw an effective 42 year old SF/2G? How about never, not in the history of the game. I know it's Jordan..but he'd still be 42 years old, what exactly would you be expecting him to contribute? A little D on Kobe?

MJ more than held his own when he was with the Wizards. In SA the role I envision would be of him coming off the bench. That would put him up against a lot of opponents' 2nd teams. Also, he is MJ and no doubt he still will get a lot of favoritism from the refs.

MJ could be the leader of the bench and perhaps vie for 6th man of the year honors. Since the Spurs didn't win the title last season he could be seen as the difference maker, something which hopefully would satisfy his ego.

This is all hypothetical, but if he is looking to play again then maybe the Spurs should place the call. One season of MJ would be worth considerably more to the Spurs than the veteran's minimum salary both on and off the court, no doubt about that.

Solid D
09-23-2004, 12:43 PM
The following is not meant as an argument against MJ but it may be what Shaq is having to deal with on this rumor.

In LA, people always questioned: Shaq's team or Kobe's team?..Lakers are good but would they be as good without Kobe?

Shaq is getting away from shared limelight. He's getting away from questions about how much help Shaq needs to win a championship...for now.

MJ, even off the bench, is a reporter magnet. Shared limelight is unavoidable with MJ on Shaq's team. MJ means split leadership. It's not a win-win scenario. The championship does matter but Shaq would probably like to prove he can lead a team without needing another star or leader to make it work.

Tommy Duncan
09-23-2004, 12:59 PM
Good point.

As for the Spurs, I do think it would be a concern. Would MJ be willing to not be the #1 option or even come off the bench? Currently the Spurs are waiting on another former superstar and he proved last season that he can handle being a role player.

Spurminator
09-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Didn't MJ come off the bench originally for Washington before taking over the starting role when they couldn't score points?

Tommy Duncan
09-23-2004, 01:33 PM
I've forgotten. That would definitely be a point in his favor.

So who would be the better addition: Evil or MJ?

Spurminator
09-23-2004, 01:59 PM
According to this (http://www.basketballreference.com/teams/teamscores.htm?tm=WAS&yr=2002&lg=n) Jordan came off the bench for the first month last season before joining Stackhouse in the starting rotation.

Spurminator
09-23-2004, 02:03 PM
I think MJ would give us another good (and clutch) outside shooter. I don't recall how his defense was in the last couple of years.

Karl, on the other hand, while uncertain healthwise is a nice defensive asset to have on the inside, and is still one of the best passing bigmen in the NBA.

I think if a choice like this falls into the Spurs' lap, they should do everything in their power to get both. If they have to choose, I'd say MJ.

But I'm not getting my hopes up either way.

smeagol
09-23-2004, 02:10 PM
If Pop can envision a role for MJ which will not disrupt the team's chemistry, then bring him.

The malone haters have little or no excuses on this one.

- He is a proven champ (obviously he is not jinxed),

- He is not a dirty Mother fucker and did not elbow DRob, and

- He is fucking Michael Jordan!

Bring the guy, relax and enjoy the magic!

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-23-2004, 04:10 PM
I don't see MJ in being interested in coming to SA.

Yeah he's the greatest of all time, but let's be honest - dude still has an ego to feed.

He's gonna wanna be somewhere where there's a media spotlight, meaning one of the big cities (LA, NY, Miami, Chicago) or anywhere on the east coast (predominant media population in this country).

Tommy Duncan
09-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Wherever MJ goes he has a following. I don't think that would be that much of an issue.

E20
09-24-2004, 12:28 AM
It would be cool to see Ginobili on the same team as Jordan. Jordan was Ginobili's hero. IMO Clyde and Jordan should stay put my reasoning is they should not hurt they're career averages. Jordan used to average 32.5 now his career average is 30.1