PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Alex Garcia back to Spurs

planaria
09-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I cant say how reliable is the rumor, but people that were watching the broadcasting of a Fiba Europe game in ESPN Brasil is talking that the narrator told that Alex is set to back to NBA to play in a team along a great argentine player.

After, he suposedly told that this team is really the Spurs.

Since I cant prove the veracity of this rumor, the moderators are free to delete or move this topic, but the rumor has got some repercution in Brazil already.

Dex
09-03-2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/hornets/garcia_inside040616.jpg

Would be interesting food for thought.

Garcia's been on the roster before. He's at least seen the system, and Pop seems to like him. Really, he was a nice rookie prospect until he broke his foot early in what...2003?

And he definitely made a nice showing at the FIBA Americas Tournament.

Like to see something develop there. Still gotta ship Beno tho.

ChumpDumper
09-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Good for a training camp invite if nothing else, especially given this free agent market. He looked pretty good playing in Brazil's nonsystem.

planaria
09-03-2007, 05:27 PM
^Chump, these narrators in Brazil dont know well the diference between a training camp contract and "one year guaranteed contract".

So, I think it´s a real possibility (training camp invite).

Spurs Brazil
09-03-2007, 05:30 PM
I saw some games on SporTV and some games on ESPN. ON those games I saw on ESPN I didn't heard anything

ChumpDumper
09-03-2007, 05:31 PM
I can't see the Spurs giving him anything more than a partial guarantee through training camp since there are already three point guards with guaranteed deals on the roster and the team could still use a tall SF, but that could be up to $100,000 for Alex - so it's not chicken feed.

It's a good move if the Spurs manage to move Beno.

planaria
09-03-2007, 05:32 PM
^It was today, during the Turkey x Lithuan broadcasting. The narrator was Cledir Oliveira (worst basketball narrator, ever).

planaria
09-03-2007, 05:35 PM
I can't see the Spurs giving him anything more than a partial guarantee through training camp since there are already three point guards with guaranteed deals on the roster and the team could still use a tall SF, but that could be up to $100,000 for Alex - so it's not chicken feed.

It's a good move if the Spurs manage to move Beno.

I´d agree, but Alex Garcia simply cant play PG. He´s an undersized SG.

ChumpDumper
09-03-2007, 05:38 PM
I´d agree, but Alex Garcia simply cant play PG. He´s an undersized SG.The Spurs always had designs on his playing a combo guard role, there isn't much use for him on this team otherwise. If he can bring the ball up the court without turning it over, he's halfway to getting a job.

picnroll
He's a waayyyyy undersized SG

Dex

True, but this might fill the Spurs' needs.

Tony plays more like a 2 than a pure point. With his speed and shooting ability, it's getting hard to argue with that.

We still have Vaughn to backup the point if we need a pure passer who can run the offense.

Garcia would moreso follow the trend set by Tony. The only problem, then, is that Garcia obviously would not expect the same green light to shoot.

Spurs Brazil
09-03-2007, 05:47 PM
^It was today, during the Turkey x Lithuan broadcasting. The narrator was Cledir Oliveira (worst basketball narrator, ever).

Thanks

I'll try to find something about

In the 1st time the Spurs wanted him to play PG

Alex>Beno

Samr
09-03-2007, 06:10 PM
I loved Alex Garcia when he played for the Spurs, and was very sad when he left (I got over it fast). I thought he was a good, smart player who had an obvious passion for the game. It is a shame he got hurt as a Spur, because I think he'd still be one if he hadn't broken his foot.

Only problem is, Spurs don't have a spot right now at PG. They'd have to move Beno to make room for Garcia, and as much as I'd like to see Beno moved, especially to make way for a much better player (Alex Garcia)... realistically, I don't think it will happen -- I just can't see anyone taking him at this point. However, I believe Garcia is a good, energetic, explosive player who is very much in the same mold as Parker. A definite improvement and great addition if he ends up on the roster.

T Park
09-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I'd just go ahead and cut Udrih.

What the hell would it hurt.

Solid D
09-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Spurs need more dunkers!
:smokin :elephant :smokin :elephant :smokin

remingtonbo2001
09-03-2007, 08:10 PM

Is there any way we can start a CUT BENO THREAD? Leave it at the top of ST, allowing every Spurs fan that wishes Beno to be cut to sign it, kinda like a petition. Maybe we could bring it forth to city counsil. Come up with some kinda resolution, since the FO is having a difficult time on their own.

samikeyp
09-03-2007, 08:18 PM
I liked Garcia when he was here. I would be ok with him coming back. IMO still an upgrade over Beno.

planaria
09-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Spurs need more dunkers!
:smokin :elephant :smokin :elephant :smokin

If there is something he can do is dunk. I lived in Brasília for 1 year and a half and used to attend Universo´s (Garcia´s team) games last year.

Alex is ridiculously athletic. Even undersized as he is, he used to get the ball in the floor under the basket and dunk in the same movement (without run).

T Park
09-03-2007, 08:27 PM
IMO still an upgrade over Beno.

a tackling dummy would be an upgrade.

Mister Sinister
09-03-2007, 08:42 PM
A chocolate chip cookie would be an upgrade. Bit undersized, though.

Samr
09-03-2007, 08:43 PM

And it would cost less too.

YODA
09-03-2007, 08:49 PM
I really thought Garcia would make the team till he got hurt. I hope he gets a chance. Maybe we can put him on toros team in Austin? I rooted for him to make him the team and he had to go break a foot. Guy really hustled.

Yoda

samikeyp
09-03-2007, 08:52 PM

Very true.

Fast Dunk
09-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Alex who?

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Alex who?

Finals victories for the Cavaliers what?

ThomasGranger
09-03-2007, 11:40 PM
How about "teams who get swept in the finals for $500"?

Lonestar
09-03-2007, 11:41 PM
I thought Garcia was an awesome prospect during his short stint with the Spurs. The injury really bummed everybody out. I'd love to see him in place of Beno.

timvp
09-04-2007, 04:53 AM
Garcia is a beast of an athlete. He should have been a linebacker.

At this point, pretty much anybody is better than Beno. I know that Garcia was well liked by everyone last time he was with the Spurs. The Spurs didn't want to see him go. They waived him with the hope of re-signing him, but the Hornets claimed him off waivers. Garcia then broke his ankle (IIRC) and was out of basketball for a while.

He looks 100% healthy now. I'd gladly take him as the third-string point guard. He could develop into a monster defender with the right tutelage.

Hoy
09-04-2007, 05:06 AM
These Brazilians - Nene, Garcia, AV, TS and Barbosa - all seems to be injury prone.

Darkwaters
09-04-2007, 08:09 AM
These Brazilians - Nene, Garcia, AV, TS and Barbosa - all seems to be injury prone.

I think even Splitter has had to fight the injury bug off quite a bit.

All said though, I love the idea of Garcia.

mattyc
09-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Get him in there. Good potential.

MoSpur
09-04-2007, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't mind him back with the Spurs.

ss1986v2
09-04-2007, 11:42 PM
UPDATE:
http://espnbrasil.uol.com.br/noticias/materia.aspx?id=146052

its in portugese, but the gist seems to be that he was been invited by the spurs to sa for some kind of workout, or maybe to compete in training camp (cant be sure, babelfish will just give you a vague translation of sometimes random words). but the gist from his agent seems to be that the spurs have interest, and that if he does well in his workouts, there is a very good chance he will be a spur come next year.

timvp
09-04-2007, 11:52 PM
UPDATE:
http://espnbrasil.uol.com.br/noticias/materia.aspx?id=146052

its in portugese, but the gist seems to be that he was been invited by the spurs to sa for some kind of workout, or maybe to compete in training camp (cant be sure, babelfish will just give you a vague translation of sometimes random words). but the gist from his agent seems to be that the spurs have interest, and that if he does well in his workouts, there is a very good chance he will be a spur come next year.Nice find.

From the translation I'm reading, it looks like Garcia is going to arrive in town on Friday and stay for a week. It looks like the Spurs will work him out and could offer him an invite to training camp. But right now, it looks like just a workout.

Garcia at training camp to push Beno (if he's still around) would be very nice.

ss1986v2
09-05-2007, 12:00 AM
cant take the credit, was posted on the realGM board by the poster "About_Blank". all props go to him for the good find. i wish bspn would actually pick up foreign based stories that are of relevance and release them in the states.

and after that interview earlier in the off season, im ready for beno to find a new club scene to hit. hes gotta be getting sick of the sa scene by now, no?

Solid D
09-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Nice find.

From the translation I'm reading, it looks like Garcia is going to arrive in town on Friday and stay for a week. It looks like the Spurs will work him out and could offer him an invite to training camp. But right now, it looks like just a workout.

Garcia at training camp to push Beno (if he's still around) would be very nice.

Good injury protection in a Toros uni.

SequSpur
09-05-2007, 12:05 AM
garcia sucks.

timvp
09-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Good injury protection in a Toros uni.That'd be a rather nice signing by the Toros if he can be signed outright. He'd have to take less money than the article suggests, though, as the articles says that he has European offers on the table.

What's lame is that Garcia has played only ten NBA games ... but he'd be ineligible for the D-League since those ten games came over the course of two seasons.

Solid D
09-05-2007, 12:12 AM
That'd be a rather nice signing by the Toros if he can be signed outright. He'd have to take less money than the article suggests, though, as the articles says that he has European offers on the table.

What's lame is that Garcia has played only ten NBA games ... but he'd be ineligible for the D-League since those ten games came over the course of two seasons.

Hmmm, I didn't think about the 2 season spread.

freemeat
09-05-2007, 01:57 AM

I like the idea, and I'm sure the team has considered it. But, with so many teams in dire need of a PG, there is some interest around the league in his contract. Even if he doesn't work out for anyone, he only has one year left!

I think they're going to hold on to him, at the risk of a year's salary, as trade bait. There's no reason to cut him just yet when the Spurs can get at least a draft pick. Even a second rounder would make it worthwhile!

Yes, Beno sucks...but let's see what the FO can get for him.

mountainballer
09-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Garcia could be a helpful addition, considering he is a very good and active defender.
he has been champion and the MVP of the Brasil league last season. (for whatever this is worth) averaging nice all around numbers (19 PPG/ 4.6 RPG / 3.1 APG / 1.9 SPG, 64% FG!!!) and he played good in the international games.
Spurs do have a need for a player like him, not as the 2nd PG, but as a very athletic combo guard, who is able to defend players like Barbosa, Harris, Ellis, etc. alongside Manu or Barry he even wouldn't have to run the offense, so there are some line ups where he should fit nice.

JPB
09-05-2007, 03:52 AM
http://ultimosegundo.ig.com.br/esportes/basquete/2007/09/04/respaldado_por_popovich_alex_viaja_para_testes_nos _spurs_991054.html

Here's a translation of ultimo segundo

Badly it disembarked in Brazil after the dispute of Daily pay of basquete, the section Alex Garci'a will come back to the United States in this friday. One of that if they had saved in the vexame of the green and yellow teams in Las Vegas, the athlete of 27 years will join to the cast of the San Antonio Spurs for a period of tests, with great possibilities to integrate the texana surmounting in the next season to NBA thanks to the support of the technician Gregg Popovich.

The bond of Alex with the current champions of the North American league will have only one week, invigorating up to 14 of September. The agent Marcelo Maffia, however, believes that the player will have to be more time in San Antonio. “The contract goes until day 14, ams can be extending and will have to be extending. The daily pay-season starts only in October, then much thing can happen until there”, commented, in interview for telephone to the Esportiva.Net Gazette.

The optimism of the agent if must to the fact of the trainer of the Spurs, Gregg Popovich, to have done the contact with Maffia. “The Popovic likes it very. Who was the proper technician bound and said `to me Quero here it (Alex), wants it here'”, disclosed, before pointing with respect to other interested parties in basquete of the Brazilians. “During Daily pay, other teams had asked on the situation of the Alex, who also has offers of the Europe”, she amended, without citing the name of the clubs.

Maffia, however, gave to understand that the interest of the section is to be in AT&T Center. “I finished to speak with the Alex for telephone to say that the tickets for the United States had arrived. It is very the enthusiastic end and with this possibility and knows that this is the great chance to come back to NBA”, concluded.

This will be the second ticket of Alex for the Spurs. In 2003, after to give to two tocos in the section/pivot Tim Duncan in Daily pay for Atenas-2004, the player called the attention the trainer and was contracted by the surmounting. The Brazilian, however, disputed only two departures because of an injury in the finger of the left foot. In season 2004/05, if it moved for the New Orleans/Okla City Hornets, but a bruise in the left knee made with that it was excused.

For signal, the injuries seem to affect the player at decisive moments. In July, to the eves of the estréia of Brazil in the Games Pan-Americans of Rio De Janeiro, it it broke a left-hand finger in a training and was of it are of the campaign, awardee with the gold medal. The recovery alone happened before Daily pay.

If it will be contracted in definitive, Alex will be the guaranteed Brazilian room in the dispute of the next season to NBA. In 2006/07, the country had five players in the competition, but in the last week `Baby' Araújo saw the pivot Rafael to leave the Utah Jazz to close with the Spartak Russian. Another one that it follows in complicated situation is the section/pivot Anderson Varejão, whom it did not renew with contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers and follows without definite team. For the time being, only the section/pivot Nenê Hilário (Denver Nuggets), the section Marquinhos (New Orleans/Okla City Hornets) and the Leandrinho shipowner Barbosa (Phoenix Suns) are guaranteed in the league.

In case that if he gives well in the tests and he is in the Texas for plus one season, by the way, Alex will have the possibility to carry out the first Brazilian pair in NBA. This because the pivot Tiago Splitter was draftado by the Spurs in June, but, as still it has one year of contract with the Spaniard Tau Ceramica, will only dress the shirt of surmounting at the time 2008/09.

The section is as the integrant one of the group that disputed Daily pay. Recently, the Murilo pivot left the Frank Unimed/to make right with the Macab Tel-Aviv, of Israel, per four seasons. The player travels for the country of the Middle East in the next week.

mountainballer
09-05-2007, 05:38 AM
Garcia is a similar player like Chalie Bell and maybe we see also some similarities in their careers.
(which would be a best case scenario, when thinking about Garcia as a Spur)
Bell also didn't get a chance as a young player with Suns and Mavs (just 7 games). after 4 years in Europe he came back at 26 and we know that meanwhile he has developed into a good NBA player. (I wouldn't mind if Spurs had targeted him as FA this summer, but he is restricted, so no chance to get him for Spurs type money)

JPB
09-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Pop called Alex himself. Interesting...

He seems to appreciate the guy.

Spurs Brazil
09-05-2007, 08:27 AM
The article say he'll travel to San Antonio and will work with the team until September 14. Alex agent said Pop likes him. He said other teams from NBA and Europe called during the tournament but Alex likes San Antonio.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I think if he does well in those workouts he'll be inveted to camp and then he can fight for a roster spot.

Go Alex!!!!!

Spurs Brazil
09-05-2007, 08:33 AM
My big question is:

If Alex plays better than Beno in training camp can Beno be waived?

MoSpur
09-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Pretty good. If he can stay healthy, this could be good for the Spurs.

Darkwaters
09-05-2007, 09:28 AM
My big question is:

If Alex plays better than Beno in training camp can Beno be waived?

Sure. But that would be a hit of 1.7M against the cap for the Spurs (probably putting them in lux tax area).

The more likely scenario has Beno being traded to a team under the cap or holding a trade exception. He would likely be moved for a mere draft pick or the rights to some other foreign player perhaps (ie, something that doesn't effect the salary cap at the current moment). Seeing as Cleveland has yet to improve its PG position, is holding the adequate trade exception, and has a former Spurs staff member as GM (Danny Ferry) that might still think he can realize Beno's potential it would seem that Beno might be a Cav next season.

Frankly, for a second rounder and a minute 1.7M (one year) contract I think Beno would be a worthy gamble. It's a small price to pay to see if Beno's failure was more the player or the system.

mountainballer
09-05-2007, 09:50 AM
The more likely scenario has Beno being traded to a team under the cap or holding a trade exception. He would likely be moved for a mere draft pick or the rights to some other foreign player perhaps.

one option might be, that Spurs trade cash along with Beno to a team with an exception, if they can't find a taker. in other words: they pay Beno's salary and he plays for another team. if Spurs are slightly over the threshold, this might still save up to 3 million (saved taxes+ payback) and would be cheaper than just waive him.
it looks as if no team is interested in Beno right now. might change if a team get's him virtually for free.

Oh, Gee!!
09-05-2007, 09:55 AM
then who'll do the weather?

Bruno
09-05-2007, 10:00 AM
A nice read on him :
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66405

MajorMike
09-05-2007, 10:04 AM
What? They gave him 2 tacos in 2003?? Reading that translation was worse than the original!

wildchild
09-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Alex hasn't brain, low IQ basketball.

planaria
09-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Update: Believe or not. Alex got injuried (calf strain, I guess) while training in San Antonio. He had a 10 days contract.

He´ll back to Brazil.

Damn...that is carma...

ChumpDumper
09-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Can't have a 10-day contract during the offseason, but that injury does suck. I'm sure they diagnosed it across the street from the training facility.

planaria
09-11-2007, 09:44 PM
^The guy in the brazilian ESPN told that his contract was until the September 14th. Thats why I supposed it was 10 days contract.

ChumpDumper
09-11-2007, 10:29 PM
That just sounds like they were letting him use the facility then. There aren't any formal practices at this time.

Darkwaters
09-11-2007, 10:34 PM
How severe is his injury? Is there no chance that he'll be in a Spurs uni this season then?

Spurs Brazil
09-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Update: Believe or not. Alex got injuried (calf strain, I guess) while training in San Antonio. He had a 10 days contract.

He´ll back to Brazil.

Damn...that is carma...

I saw that too. It was on Brazil Sportscenter :depressed

I'm trying to find something on websites

ChumpDumper
09-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Sounds like he was given a workout, then got injured either during it or using the practice facility. Not much else makes sense this time of year.

Solid D
09-12-2007, 06:40 AM
Probably his contract with the Courtyards by Marriott. He was booked through the 14th.

Spurs Brazil
09-12-2007, 10:25 AM
I just send a e-mail to ESPN Brazil and they said the only info they have so far is he got injuried in the first days of workouts.

They don''t know if he's back to Brazil. They say they may get some news by the end of the day

Darkwaters
09-12-2007, 11:26 AM
They say they may get some news by the end of the day

Lets hope. I'm downright curious.

Spurs Brazil
09-12-2007, 09:12 PM
UPDATE

Alex had a workout last monday. After the morning workout he sit with Pop who invated him to camp in october, but Alex had a hamstring injury and will be out for 2 weeks. He'll recovery here in Brazil.

His agent said if things go well he'll be ready for training camp but there aren't any guarantee now

Nova lesão coloca em risco futuro de Alex na NBA
Marta Teixeira

São Paulo (SP) - Mais uma vez, o ala/armador Alex Garcia enfrenta uma virada do destino em seus projetos de jogar na NBA. Pela terceira vez na carreira, o jogador foi dispensado por causa de uma lesão. Na última segunda-feira, em seu primeiro treino com o San Antonio Spurs, Alex deixou a quadra sentindo dores no músculo adutor e nem teve condições de participar do treinamento da tarde.
Segundo o agente do atleta, Marcelo Maffia, Alex sofreu uma lesão de grau 2 e precisará de duas semanas de repouso e fisioterapia antes de voltar às quadras. Alex fará seu tratamento no Brasil e chega ainda esta semana no país.

'Ele participou do treino da manhã, mas ficou sentindo a coxa. Depois, teve uma reunião com o técnico Gregg Popovich, que o convidou para o camp em outubro', lembra Maffia. Com a reviravolta no período da tarde, ele e seu cliente tentam manter a possibilidade de participar do treinamento. 'Estamos tentando lidar com a situação para ver se dá mesmo', completa o agente.

Esta é a segunda vez que o ala/armador treina com os Spurs. Na temporada de 2003/04, ele integrou a equipe, mas só participou de dois jogos. Uma lesão no pé esquerdo fez com que fosse dispensado. Na temporada seguinte, ele foi para o New Orleans Hornets mas uma nova contusão, desta vez no joelho esquerdo tirou o brasileiro do grupo.

O interesse dos Spurs pelo ala/armador ressurgiu após a participação do Brasil no Torneio Pré-olímpico das Américas, em Las Vegas, no início deste mês. A seleção não obteve a vaga olímpica, mas Alex foi procurado pelo técnico Popovich que lhe ofereceu outra chance no time. Inicialmente, ele participaria de uma semana de treinos, até dia 14.

Alex é o segundo jogador nacional a despertar o interesse dos atuais campeões da NBA. O ala/pivô Tiago Splitter foi escolhido pela franquia no último draft, mas disputa mais uma temporada pelo Tau Ceramica, equipe espanhola com a qual tem contrato, antes de se transferir para os Estados Unidos.
http://www.gazetaesportiva.net/ge_noticias/bin/noticia.php?chid=107&nwid=22135

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Hmm. Well, it could be worse. Hopefully he can be 100% at camp and he'll have a legitimate shot at making the roster.

Whisky Dog
09-12-2007, 10:29 PM
This guy's too injury prone. I don't want him on the roster if he's going to be getting hurt constantly.

El_Mago
09-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Dude, is pretty tenacious.

Aggressive towards the basket and plays the passing the lanes.

He's gutsy and will lay it out on the court.

I like his style.

Fast Dunk
09-13-2007, 01:40 AM
Lol

AFBlue
09-13-2007, 11:05 AM
He could be our version of Dallas' Devin Harris!