PDA

View Full Version : Serious UT question

MajorMike
09-04-2007, 12:07 PM
I don't know what the story was. The sports pages glossed over it.

All I know is that I saw highlights that UT was killing them very early. What happened? Did someone get hurt or something?

Brutalis
09-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Watching replays in Arkansas they just really grind it out. Texas' defense looks really bad this year is what I see. I know it's only 13 points but it could have been 26 at least. You have to stop and say hey, this is Arkansas State/Baylor score. I think a lot has to do with given the injuries they have talent that's simply just not playing together. That happens after injuries and getting in trouble as some players have.

Yes it is something to talk about because Texas played at Arkansas State's best level. An onside kick potentially saved this game. And personally I think they went into it not paying attention or looking ahead. Arkansas was up 23-16 at halftime on a better Troy team. We didn't come into the game exactly ready but at least we did better than Michigan winning 46-26.

Texas is not the 7th best team in the country I think any realistic Texas fan would say the same. They have talent though and talent not playing I can understand that.

samikeyp
09-04-2007, 03:06 PM
This is why I don't like pre-season rankings. IMO, they should come out the 1st of October after some actual games have been played. Talent-wise, IMO Texas is a top-10 team but just having talent doesn't neccessarily win games. Its how that talent executes on the field. After that dismal showing, I would have put them about 11 or 12 but not top 10.

leemajors
09-04-2007, 05:13 PM
greg davis still hasn't realized that vince is gone, and continues to run the zone read and lots of delayed handoffs. the delayed handoffs are really effective when your line can't run block for shit.

RonMexico
09-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Texas fan: Colt McCoy is still hurting after all the Ags' late hits

Horry For 3!
09-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Texas is pretty young on D especially in the secondary. Also, young on the offensive line. They will need a few games to get it together.

StylisticS
09-05-2007, 09:03 PM
greg davis still hasn't realized that vince is gone, and continues to run the zone read and lots of delayed handoffs. the delayed handoffs are really effective when your line can't run block for shit.
that's basically what it is. Texas has top 10 talent with but top 25 coaching. Greg Davis is hoping and preying either John Chiles turns into the next VY or Russell Sheppard commits to UT even though neither one of them will be VY.

cecil collins
09-05-2007, 11:16 PM
that's basically what it is. Texas has top 10 talent with but top 25 coaching. Greg Davis is hoping and preying either John Chiles turns into the next VY or Russell Sheppard commits to UT even though neither one of them will be VY.
Chiles is more explosive then VY, but probably not as good at making people miss and throwing with 2 guys on him. I actually hope Chiles wins the job over Colt at some point. Colt is fine, but it seems like he has a ceiling on how good he can be, and I don't think it's championship good.

samikeyp
09-06-2007, 06:55 AM

They need to show his ass the door and bring Major back.

MajorMike
09-06-2007, 09:47 AM
No offense, but you UT fans turning on Colt sound like OSU fans wanting Zac to start in front of Reid. After all, the backup QB is always the most popular man on the team.

You don't think Colt is a winner? Dude played hurt, for goodness sake.

Side note, hasn't that been the knock on Mack every year of his career (with the one exception being the MNC year), that he is one of the top 3 recruiters in the nation but can't coach? Same knocks on Self in basketball and used to be on cryin' Roy Williams (until he won a NC on someone else's talent).

Whisky Dog
09-06-2007, 10:55 AM
No offense, but you UT fans turning on Colt sound like OSU fans wanting Zac to start in front of Reid. After all, the backup QB is always the most popular man on the team.

You don't think Colt is a winner? Dude played hurt, for goodness sake.

Side note, hasn't that been the knock on Mack every year of his career (with the one exception being the MNC year), that he is one of the top 3 recruiters in the nation but can't coach? Same knocks on Self in basketball and used to be on cryin' Roy Williams (until he won a NC on someone else's talent).

I don't think Mack's the problem as much as the coordinators, especially the O coordinator. That guy's a horrible play caller even though he has done a good job with the last two QBs. With a good Offensive playcaller on gameday and some consistency with the D coordinator they would be better.

That said, I'm not selling them out this season. They basically overlooked a talented Ark State team since they have TCU this week. This saturday is going to be the telling game because TCU is going to bring it.

monosylab1k
09-06-2007, 11:14 AM
I don't think Mack's the problem as much as the coordinators
:lol

Mack's ALWAYS been the problem. If Vince Young didn't bail him out, he would have been fired already. He still should be, but VY bought him an extra 5-10 years of underacheving.

Whisky Dog
09-06-2007, 11:31 AM
:lol

Mack's ALWAYS been the problem. If Vince Young didn't bail him out, he would have been fired already. He still should be, but VY bought him an extra 5-10 years of underacheving.

It's a double edged sword with Mack. He's a great recruiter and gets a lot of blue chip talent that UT wouldn't otherwise have, but he's not the greatest X's and O's guy and needs great assistants to really support him. If he would just get rid of Greg Davis and get an O coordinator who specializes in game planning then they would be much, much better.

leemajors
09-06-2007, 11:31 AM
i would just like to see much less zone read. i have no real problems with colt - i think he would do much better in an offense not designed around a player departed that he is assuredly not.

Whisky Dog
09-06-2007, 11:33 AM
They have a lot of freshman and 1st year players that they are counting on this season. It's a very young team, so this is Texas' version of a rebuilding year of sorts. I think they'll still have a good year, but just how good will depend on how well all the young guys with talent come together.

Ballcox
09-06-2007, 11:42 AM
^I just don't get why we continue to run that zone read with McCoy, the other team's defense KNOWS he's going to hand it off, he ain't gonna take off and run 50 plus yards with the ball like VY would, Colt just doesn't have that kind of talent.

I do think he's comfortable in the shotgun, passing the ball. I would just prefer to see more I formation/single back formations when running the ball. I think it would help the O line with their run blocking-and provide more holes for J. Charles. But in the end, this is Greg Davis we're talking about.

degenerate_gambler
09-06-2007, 12:04 PM
^I just don't get why we continue to run that zone read with McCoy, the other team's defense KNOWS he's going to hand it off, he ain't gonna take off and run 50 plus yards with the ball like VY would, Colt just doesn't have that kind of talent.

I do think he's comfortable in the shotgun, passing the ball. I would just prefer to see more I formation/single back formations when running the ball. I think it would help the O line with their run blocking-and provide more holes for J. Charles. But in the end, this is Greg Davis we're talking about.

What they need to do is make a return to the offense they ran with Major...one back set and 3 wides. Quick pitches to get Charles outside and some zone blocking schemes to create some holes in the middle. The problem with the zone read is a. McCoy is no threat to beat you running and b. charles stands little chance of breaking away when he has 2-3 d-lineman in his ass while he waits to get the ball.

the one thing i did like saturday nite was seeing the return of the wide receiver screen that they used to run for kwame cavil.

p.s. greg davis and mack brown are joined at the hip, they have been since their days at NC and always will be unfortunately.

TheZackAttack!
09-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Texas fan: Colt McCoy is still hurting after all the Ags' late hits

Don't be an idiot. The answer to the question is Greg Davis. It has always been Greg Davis