PDA

View Full Version : Budenholzer Named Top Assistant

CPspursfan
09-05-2007, 08:33 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA090507.06C.SpursCoach.en.2d0abd8.html

NBA: Spurs name Budenholzer top assistant

Web Posted: 09/04/2007 09:35 PM CDT

Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs on Tuesday added an assistant coach and reshuffled the assignments of the remaining coaches to make up for losing Gregg Popovich's top assistant, P.J. Carlesimo, who was named head coach of the Seattle SuperSonics in July.
Brett Brown, who served as director of player development and a behind-the-bench assistant for the previous five seasons, moves up to join Mike Budenholzer and Don Newman on Popovich's bench.

Budenholzer, the longest-tenured Spurs assistant, will become Popovich's top assistant, tasked with taking over in the event Popovich is ejected from a game or is otherwise unable to coach on game nights.

"Brett Brown will continue to do the great work he has done for us for the past five years," Popovich said. "I look forward to having him on our bench."

Brown joined the Spurs' staff in July 2002 after 14 years as a coach in Australia's National Basketball League, nine of them as a head coach.

Joining the staff as assistant coach and director of player development is Chad Forcier, most recently an assistant coach for the Indiana Pacers under Rick Carlisle.

Forcier was with Carlisle for two seasons in Detroit and re-joined him when he got the Pacers' head coaching job. He was on the Pacers' staff for four seasons.

"We are fortunate to have Chad Forcier join our staff," said Popovich. "He brings a wealth of experience and will inject a great deal of energy into our program."

A 1995 graduate of Seattle Pacific University, Forcier started his career as an intern with the Sonics in 1992. He spent five seasons with the Sonics, working under head coach George Karl. Forcier coached on the college level for four seasons, at Oregon State and the University of Portland, before joining the Pistons in 2001.

Notebook: Center Francisco Elson had successful surgery over the weekend to repair the blowout fracture of the orbital bone around his left eye. The Spurs' medical staff expects Elson to be able to begin light basketball drills in about a week. Barring complications, he should be available for full contract drills when the Spurs open training camp on Oct. 2.

MajorMike
09-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Newman's gonna be pissy again.

angel_luv
09-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Cool. I like Coach Bud.

Newman would have been a good choice too.

MrChug
09-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Logical choice...but I always had some hope we'd sign some name guy (a former head coach or something).

SenorSpur
09-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Will anyone miss P.J.? Fan, player, or coach?

dbestpro
09-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Just posting to drive all Scola threads off the front page.

Kori Ellis
09-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Just posting to drive all Scola threads off the front page.

That's about as annoying as starting a Scola thread.

Try to at least contribute to the discussion.

milkyway21
09-10-2007, 09:23 PM
hey Kori may I ask if Coach Chip still connected with the Spurs? I heard and read in the news he's been cavorting around our city with our local boys, his former 1985 Jones Cup teammates recently.

Hoy
09-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Can we call him Bud?
Bud the Sud or Buddy?
Butt if we are annoyed with him?

The hidden part of Pop's success is his nickname - Pop.
Endears like your own family father and same time grants him that father figure authority.
I wonder how many people realizes this.