PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Spurs' edge: Malone needs a happy ending

Kori Ellis
12-14-2004, 04:04 AM
Harvey: Spurs' edge: Malone needs a happy ending
Web Posted: 12/14/2004 12:00 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121404.1F.harvey.4cfe660.html

If I'm the Spurs, I wince.

Karl Malone wouldn't have been easy to sell to Spurs fans anyway. His "I'm hunting for little, Mexican girls" just made it impossible

But if I'm the Spurs, I consider the source of this story, as well as how this would alter Malone if he plays in San Antonio.

A seamy exit from Los Angeles would have followed a sour one from Salt Lake City. Malone won't like the pattern, and what it says about him, and he will be determined to have a happy ending.

If I'm the Spurs, I see this as helpful — when Gregg Popovich tries to coach Malone.

Some fans will howl at the thought of Malone in a Spurs uniform, especially after the recent installment of the L.A. soap opera. It wasn't enough that Malone once decked David Robinson with an elbow or that he eliminated the Spurs several times from the playoffs. He had to try to join the happy Bryant family.

Vanessa Bryant's version doesn't describe either a good teammate or a good husband. Malone, she said through an agent, came on to her.

It's happened before. A Spurs locker room, years ago, went through the same, sad tension.

No one really knows what athletes are like, just as no one really knew about Kobe before the summer of 2003. But this goes against Malone's track record. He fathered two kids out of wedlock when he was a kid himself, but those who have known him in the NBA never saw this side.

The details don't make much sense, either. Malone chose to make a pass at Vanessa with a child in tow, in an arena, knowing the history of this family?

Vanessa, part Hispanic, says Malone used the "little, Mexican girls" phrase, and she also said Malone asked if she would come give him a big hug during a game. "If you do that," Malone told her, "it will be on the cover of every magazine in the country."

Was Malone being serious? Or playful? As Kobe himself described the relationship between the Bryants and the Malones: "We've been out to their house, just joking around, giving each other a hard time, just clowning, being sarcastic with one another, baby-sitting kids and all that."

That sounds like two couples who can say almost anything to each other. The issue, then, might be Vanessa, married at 17, sheltered by fame and still reeling from her own relationship trauma.

She has shown signs of instability before. Last season, with her husband awaiting a sexual assault trial, Vanessa wore a shirt to a Lakers game that featured two words.

One word can be printed in a newspaper ("fashionable"), and one cannot. The obscenity was more offensive than anything Malone reportedly said.

As for Kobe being outraged someone would flirt with his wife: There's a family in Colorado that doesn't empathize.

Either way, none of it does much for Malone's reputation, especially in South Texas where's he long been a villain. But everyone in San Antonio should understand the hoop reality, that signing Malone is a no-brainer for the Spurs.

The money would be miniscule by NBA standards, with the league itself picking up a portion. And if Malone is anything like he was a year ago, he would add something.

Remember the defense he played on Tim Duncan? He did the same against Kevin Garnett. It's no coincidence the Lakers fell apart after Malone hurt his knee in the Finals.

Malone would contribute without scoring, and there also would be nights when his jumper would make a difference. His 30 points in a playoff game last spring against Houston were just that.

But everything wouldn't be good. There would be nights when Popovich would yell at him, as Popovich yells at everyone. There are no guarantees Malone would fit with Popovich's defensive schemes.

There also would be nights when Robert Horry or Malik Rose would be better. Malone took less money and less of the stage last season with the Lakers, but he's never had to deal with sitting.

There could be flashes of anger no matter what. But if there's an incentive for Malone to calm down — to accept his role on a deep team that could win a championship without him — it stems from disappointments elsewhere.

If I'm the Spurs, I see this.

Malone would want a ring. But he will need to leave a city without a sour taste, with good feelings, for once.

Kori Ellis
12-14-2004, 04:05 AM
One mistake in this article is that Buck goes on the premise that Vanessa told the story that Malone said "little mexican girls" and that it might not be true. But it wasn't Vanessa who said that -- it was Manley, Malone's own agent.

Mr. Body
12-14-2004, 04:29 AM
Kori said:

One mistake in this article is that Buck goes on the premise that Vanessa told the story that Malone said "little mexican girls" and that it might not be true. But it wasn't Vanessa who said that -- it was Manley, Malone's own agent.

Is this contradicted by the Mike Monroe article you just posted?

Karl did not do what he was accused of," Manley told the Los Angeles Times on Sunday. "He never hit on (Bryant's) wife. This is a soap opera that is affecting the best power forward ever and a gigantic franchise. Karl did not want to get sucked into it as much as he has. It's all the Bryants' soap opera.

"It's a personal matter between Kobe and his wife, and Karl got drawn into it like a pawn."

I'm confused about all this, the He Said, She Said stuff, whether what was said was intended to be sexual or innocent jest, or whatever.

Kori Ellis
12-14-2004, 04:36 AM
His "I'm hunting for little, Mexican girls" just made it impossible

But if I'm the Spurs, I consider the source of this story

I'm assuming that Buck Harvey thinks Vanessa is the one who said that Malone said "little mexican girls".

It's too much drama for me. I hate this kind of crap on a basketball team.

Marcus Bryant
12-14-2004, 04:56 AM
What role has Malone had with the Lakers this season? This isn't exactly a case of lockerroom drama.

Spurminator
12-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Sounds like he was trying to get a "Happy Ending" from Vanessa.

Hey HEY! (Rimshot)

Clandestino
12-14-2004, 10:16 AM
it sounds like he was joking with this dumb bitch and she decided to make a big deal out of it... she probably likes kobe being the only superstar on the lakers... she doesnt want anyone to steal their spotlight...

Marcus Bryant
12-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Everything about Kolby is drama. Malone is certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to dealing with the media, but this situation happened because it's LA and it's Kolby's wife.

tekdragon
12-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Malone is the only thing that held the Lakers lockerroom together last season. He's a professional. He'll fit right in with this group.

He plays defense.
He rebounds on both ends.
He passes the ball.
He hits the 15 footer.
He'll throw the nastiest, meanest, "Don't even think of coming in my lane" elbows in the playoffs, when we need them most.

What more could we ask for from our back-up PF? This team has no enforcer. He's the best enforcer in the league, even at 63 years old.

Give the man a pen.

Marcus Bryant
12-14-2004, 10:34 AM
That pretty much sums it up.

boutons
12-14-2004, 10:40 AM
"Give the man a pen"

What's the $number that Holt is going to sign with his pen?

Marcus Bryant
12-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Jack $hit.

ducks
12-14-2004, 10:44 AM
what would you say if mailman wanted to wear number #50

SpursWoman
12-14-2004, 10:45 AM
what would you say if mailman wanted to wear number #50

It's retired, ducks. :fro

Marcus Bryant
12-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Malone would get the vet minimum salary of $1.1 mil, prorated for however many games are left in the season.

Also of note is the following...

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#9

One interesting thing about minimum-salary contracts is that for certain players, the league office actually pays part of their salary. This happens with players who have been in the NBA for five or more seasons and are playing under a one-year, ten-day or rest-of-season contract at the minimum salary. In these cases, the team pays the player at the minimum salary level for a four-year veteran, and the league pays the remainder. For example, in 99-00 the minimum salary for a four-year veteran is $510,000, so a ten-year veteran, with a minimum salary of $1,000,000, would be paid $510,000 by his team and $490,000 by the league. Only the four-year minimum is included in the team salary, not the player's full salary. The reason for doing this is so teams won't shy away from signing older veterans simply because they are more expensive.

So Malone would cost the Spurs less than probably everyone else on the roster. The horror.

ducks
12-14-2004, 10:46 AM
I know but number 6 was not when tp wanted it

Marcus Bryant
12-14-2004, 10:47 AM
It was Manu who wanted 6 ducks.

ducks
12-14-2004, 10:49 AM
be intersting what number he chooses

I would like him if he was a spur to wear 00

ducks
12-14-2004, 10:50 AM
I know but could you imagine the stick from spur fans if he wanted sean's number or aj's

SpursWoman
12-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Well, Sean Elliott's isn't retired yet.....but I'm sure there would be an even bigger uproar than Manu's 6.

Marcus Bryant
12-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Who cares? If he wants to go back to wearing his old #32 that would only be for the rest of this season. Spurs are probably going to retire it for Elliott soon anyways.

cqsallie
12-14-2004, 10:56 AM
We're asked if we want to see Malone in a Spurs' uniform, but we're not asked why, or why not.
My "not" has nothing to do with elbows or crassly worded flirtations. My "not" asks, "Why should any of the current Spurs have to give up playing time to Karl Malone? and How do we know he's going to be any more effective than a current Spur merely because he once made Tim Duncan look bad?"
Karl Malone doesn't deserve to be a Spur - and the 2004-2005 Spurs roster doesn't deserve to move over for him.

ducks
12-14-2004, 10:59 AM
be intersting to know if mailman thinks he is a starter and how many minutes he wants

rember he wants to break the scoring record

pop may not agree to that

Marcus Bryant
12-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Why Malone should be a Spur:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/images/basketball/nba/players/3260.jpg

Who would give up playing time to Malone?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/images/basketball/nba/players/3260.jpg

CosmicCowboy
12-14-2004, 11:04 AM
actually...Spurs will have to cut someone to make room for him...we already have 15 roster spots filled...

I still say do it...

cqsallie
12-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Okay, so Rasho is not the greatest center in the NBA but, damn it, he's OUR center. Maybe I'm into loyalty a little too heavily, but I actually understand where Kobe was coming from when he said he didn't think people should have to be looking over their shoulders. These guys don't need to hear the footsteps from anyone but the opposing team (and Pop).
Do you think Karl's going to be happy coming off the bench for 1 minute in the 4th quarter, or to shoot a couple of FTs? No! The Malone deal reeks of something I've never smelled from the Spurs, and it's not the scent of Team Spirit... :depressed

Spurminator
12-14-2004, 11:26 AM
I think maybe Rasho could use the sound of footsteps... Something to make him compete for his job.

Marcus Bryant
12-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Okay, so Rasho is not the greatest center in the NBA but, damn it, he's OUR center.

That's the problem.

cqsallie
12-14-2004, 11:51 AM
Okay, you guys! I'm busted on this one! There's really no defense for Rasho - and yes, he does need the sound of footsteps, preferably those of an Orc!
But I still don't want Karl Malone - it makes us look like geeks somehow...

Marcus Bryant
12-14-2004, 11:54 AM
I won't tell if you won't.

BigVee
12-14-2004, 12:09 PM
Okay, you guys! I'm busted on this one! There's really no defense for Rasho - and yes, he does need the sound of footsteps, preferably those of an Orc!
But I still don't want Karl Malone - it makes us look like geeks somehow...

Yeah, Geeks holding up a trophy in June.

conversekid
12-14-2004, 12:09 PM
I won't tell if you won't.

LOL!!! I liked that...

Bring on the Mailman!! Someone to elbow danny fortson in the mouth..

T Park
12-14-2004, 01:55 PM
Yeah, Geeks holding up a trophy in June.

Geeks wearin new Champions gear too.

Bring it on.

Great article by Buck Harvey.

I agree with probobly 100% of it.

Basketball wise, it makes perfect sense.

cqsallie
12-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Don't be so quick to brag. Do you forget Robert Horry? Wasn't he supposed to sink the winning 3-pointer?